PDA

View Full Version : Carb Fixing

k14
30th April 2004, 22:18
Well as I mentioned in a thread a few days earlier, my carbs seem to be leaking. So I'm going to have a go at fixing them tomorrow. I know bugger all about carbs, but might as well have a go at making it worse. Got the guys from the CBR250 forum talking me through it anyway.

Any recommendations from you guys??

Wish me luck :2thumbsup

Yamahamaman
30th April 2004, 22:54
my carbs seem to be leaking.
Maybe you need more protein in your diet :whistle:

merv
1st May 2004, 09:28
Well as I mentioned in a thread a few days earlier, my carbs seem to be leaking. So I'm going to have a go at fixing them tomorrow. I know bugger all about carbs, but might as well have a go at making it worse. Got the guys from the CBR250 forum talking me through it anyway.

Any recommendations from you guys??

Wish me luck :2thumbsup

Its either going to be needle valves letting too much fuel through stuffing up float levels, or you've got buggered gaskets letting the fuel leak out depending where the leak is. Is it out of an overflow pipe or out of the carb bodies?

k14
1st May 2004, 09:47
Pretty sure it is off the carb bodies. I haven't pulled the tank and airbox off yet, but it is leaking from above the two left side carbs and tracking down to the drain nipples and dripping down to the engine, I am thinking o-rings, but what do i know about it. Going to go into the bike shop to see if i can get some new ones. Think they might be costly, but not sure, will have to see.

Anyway will go and get some carb cleaner etc first and see what i can do.

laRIKin
1st May 2004, 09:57
I see that you are still on line.
What time are you going into town?
And where do you live?

k14
1st May 2004, 13:42
Well i have done most of it now and it seems as though one of the o-rings on the float bowl are perished. Don't know how much a new one will cost, hopefully i don't have to get a honda one.

Cheers

FROSTY
1st May 2004, 14:16
dude ya can get o rings from engineering supply companies but make darn sure they know its for fuel contact--otherwise things will get real messy real fast :gob:

k14
1st May 2004, 14:23
Sweet, will have to have a look for some on monday.

pete376403
1st May 2004, 14:29
And if it is a funny shaped ring, such as the one that seals the float bowl to the carb body, Loctite do (used to do, anyway) a kit of lengths of o ring stock in various diameters, plus a special adhesive for joining and a jig for holding it all in alignment. Might be an option if the genuine part isnt available.

k14
1st May 2004, 15:45
Argh, I am trying to put the diaphram thingies back in and i can't for the life of me get them to seat in the proper places, argh.

Is there a special way to do it or something???

laRIKin
1st May 2004, 16:28
Try Shuk Engineering Distrubutors at 110 Wordsworth St.
They have allsorts of "O" rings.

laRIKin
1st May 2004, 16:30
Argh, I am trying to put the diaphram thingies back in and i can't for the life of me get them to seat in the proper places, argh.

Is there a special way to do it or something???

Lots and lots of swearing :Oops:

k14
1st May 2004, 18:44
Lots and lots of swearing :Oops:

Yay, got it going now :2thumbsup

It sounds soooo different to how it used to, but im not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It sounds alot less sewing machineish, a bit of a deeper exhaust note.

It isnt leaking any petrol as of yet, but i will wait till the morning to see if it is going to.

Anyone know why it is sounding different?? Is that a good or bad thing?

Posh Tourer :P
1st May 2004, 19:24
Ignition timing? Retarded ignition makes a bike sound very smooth, whereas advanced sounds very harsh. Also getting enough fuel into the chamber can make a bike sound much deeper, as can a good spark plug (in extreme situations) Retarded ignition also has low power, so if it has a lot less power it could be bad, if it doesnt have noticeable power loss I would guess that it is running better, as in less advanced but no so retarded as to lose power. Dont know if a carb cleaning could change that much, I would be more inclined to think it is just burning the fuel better and more completely

k14
1st May 2004, 19:34
It seemed to not have any less power, and revved all the way to redline (19000rpm) smoothly. Although it did cut out once, but i think that was just because there was some crap in the carbs or something, maybe some left over carb cleaner or something.

Will give it a goood run tomorrow.

Antallica
1st May 2004, 19:40
What would be reason/solution to weak spark?

pete376403
2nd May 2004, 00:02
Mainly due to weak coil(s) but could also be dirty points (if the ignition uses them), low voltage supply to coil (bad wiring, corroded connector plugs, low battery voltage), damaged plug cap or plug lead.

Posh Tourer :P
2nd May 2004, 17:50
With cheap points sets, I have had the plastic break and the contacts slip out of alignment. Most often coil or battery though. Ask TS about battery probs, they can be very confusing as he found out