PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Removing Yamaha FZX250 seat?

Fangio
23rd April 2006, 13:42
I have recently purchased a 92 Yamaha FZX250 Zeal (excellent fun) and would like to remove the seat to get it reupholstered as it is looking pretty tatty at the moment.

As I am quite new to the world of motorcycles I do not know how to remove the seat and fear that I may do more damage than good if I try without actually knowing how. Owners manuals & workshop manuals are pretty difficult to find, and my searches so far have been unsuccesful. Aside from finding an FZR400 manual which is kind of good for motor info, but that doesn't help me with the body work.

If possible I would greatly appreciate if any FZX250 owner or former owner would be able to give me any tips or advice on how to remove the seat.

As this is my first post in this forum I hope that I have posted in the correct sub-forum, if not please direct me to a more appropriate section.

Thanks in advance.

Sniper
23rd April 2006, 13:59
Welcome

Never owned one, but I believe they are nice bikes. If there are no obvious bolts, I would say it might have a key unlock thingie somewhere they you insert and turn (duh) your key and the seat should pop off

MidnightMike
23rd April 2006, 14:05
Welcome

Never owned one, but I believe they are nice bikes. If there are no obvious bolts, I would say it might have a key unlock thingie somewhere they you insert and turn (duh) your key and the seat should pop off

Should do, just dont go forcing it off to find they key bit afterwards :doh:

Welcome to KB aswell. :ride:

Fangio
23rd April 2006, 14:49
Thanks guys, I am pretty sure that the front seat is bolted on, but I could be mistaken. I am yet to find any bolts or fasteners for the pillion seat and believe that it is held on with clips or some other non-screw type mechanism.

I think unclipping of the rear seat will allow access to the screw(s) for the front seat.

Still not quite sure how to proceed.

Thanks any way though & for the welcome MidnightMike.

Yeah the Zeal is pretty good, but it's my first bike so I don't have much to compare it with other than the CB250's that had at the Rider Safe range.

sefer
24th April 2006, 13:11
Hey, welcome to the site :)

Well I've only ever looked at one before (and had it apart), but from memory there were no bolts or anything (Like most bikes the fuses, battery ect are under the seat, so they don't tend to bold them down). I would remove the pillion seat (key locked I think) and look for some sort of bar or wire that you can pull on, as that's the way both Kawa's I've owned have come off.

Also check out the sports bike tips and tricks section and look for the manual in the manuals sticky. It's for a 400 but from what I saw when looking at the bike I was going to get most of the information in it can be applied to the 250.

Qkkid
24th April 2006, 13:24
welcome to the madhouse, your padded cell is the 3rd on the right.........

Fangio
24th April 2006, 14:39
Thanks for the replies guys,

Sefer, you have confirmed my suspicions that it was something to do with the lock below the pillion seat on the left side. It appears to have a cable line running from it into the bottom of the back seat.

But I have unlocked it and pulled the back seat in all manner of directions and it doesn't seem to want to come off.

I must be missing something obvious or perhaps the locking mechanism is no longer working properly and failing to unlatch the rear seat.

Thanks again for the comments.

Ixion
24th April 2006, 14:46
Ms InDeSkyz has the same machine as you. I suggest you PM her and ask if she can assist.

Fangio
24th April 2006, 15:07
Thanks, but I could not find anyone on the members list of that name.

Ixion
24th April 2006, 15:17
Here. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=3521

Fangio
24th April 2006, 16:13
Sorry didn't look closely enough, my mistake.

bert_is_evil
24th April 2006, 16:29
Have you tried turning the lock in both directions? On my bike turning the key one way undoes the helmet lock and the other way unlocks the seat.

Fangio
26th April 2006, 16:58
Yep, turning the key in the other direction flipped up the pillion seat, then I could easily take off the larger seat.

That was pretty dopey of me.

Thanks guys.

ajturbo
26th April 2006, 17:40
use a big hammer... or sharp knife, if that fails... chainsaw.:drinkup: