PDA

View Full Version : Ouch. my first bin

Folcan
23rd April 2006, 14:30
Well it was gonna happen sometime I guess

good thing no serious injury to me or the bike

THe bike needs some firbreglassing and some bending of the clutch lever and stuff and shes sweet again

I was riding along pakuranga Rd and this car indicated to turn into my lane so I started slowing down then he slowed down alot and turned into countdown I saw this and put on brakes as much as I could without skidding and managed to dodge the back of the car went left and he turned and I hit the front wheel

But I got abit of scratchs my waterproof pants got a hole in them lol nothing much else damaged

Gotto go to police and sort it out 2morrow I got his number and stuff this could be expensive as I dont have insurance but I will see 2morrow

Sniper
23rd April 2006, 14:35
If its his fault I think you can try go through his insurance

Magua
23rd April 2006, 14:36
Ouch, atleast you aren't hurt. Did you cause much damage to their car?

Folcan
23rd April 2006, 14:39
the car just has some scratched paint work and a small dent in the door

Ill get some pics up later

beyond
23rd April 2006, 15:20
Good to hear you are ok.

Yep, go his insurance company if it was his fault. Don't let him get away with it. These cagers have gotta learn.

Highlander
23rd April 2006, 15:39
Good to hear you are OK, all said and done the rest is only money.
Of course it would be easier to get money from their insurance company by getting your own to chase them (if you had one).

Unit
23rd April 2006, 15:45
Rotten luck when its someone elses fault. My bin was my own fault but I wont even bother with an insurance claim cause my excess is $1800 and there will probably be around $500 to fix the damage. Must check out insurances cause if I did do major damage I dont have $1800 bucks lying around to pitch in if they wanted to fix it.
Glad your ok, any bruises at all?

pyrocam
23rd April 2006, 15:52
from experience. I would say its hard to prove its his fault. sorry chief. PM me if you want a hand with the insurance stuff

edit: sorry to hear about your ding up mate

Scouse
23rd April 2006, 15:54
Sorry to hear about your accident some times the other partys insurace will try to wriggle out of the claim against them if the other party has no insurance but if this happens get a Solicitor to deal with them and you will find that they come to the party

OMG
23rd April 2006, 16:08
Snap, my first bin today too (but my bike's is in a very bad way). Good to hear no major damage.

Unit
23rd April 2006, 16:16
Insurance companies, solicitors, excesses, broken bikes, its all a load of bolix to deal with but guess thats motoring and motorcycling at the end of the day. I broke my clutch leaver off and scuffed up my can but TL Rider has managed to source these parts so all sweet.

Crasherfromwayback
23rd April 2006, 16:21
Well it was gonna happen sometime I guess

good thing no serious injury to me or the bike

THe bike needs some firbreglassing and some bending of the clutch lever and stuff and shes sweet again

I was riding along pakuranga Rd and this car indicated to turn into my lane so I started slowing down then he slowed down alot and turned into countdown I saw this and put on brakes as much as I could without skidding and managed to dodge the back of the car went left and he turned and I hit the front wheel

But I got abit of scratchs my waterproof pants got a hole in them lol nothing much else damaged

Gotto go to police and sort it out 2morrow I got his number and stuff this could be expensive as I dont have insurance but I will see 2morrow

You're not hurt.
Silly as this might sound (let the insults begin), its almost a nice feeling to have the first one out of they way.
Hope the damage to bike etc is sorted with the least amount of hassle and cost to you.

Sorry to hear dude...

Regards blame, I was under the impression that if you rear end somebody, which you've effectively done, then it's your fault.

UNLESS

He really slammed on the brakes (aka. Emergency Stop style), in which case you can say it was unavoidable and his fault.

Folcan
23rd April 2006, 16:50
Sorry to hear dude...

Regards blame, I was under the impression that if you rear end somebody, which you've effectively done, then it's your fault.

UNLESS

He really slammed on the brakes (aka. Emergency Stop style), in which case you can say it was unavoidable and his fault.

Well I didnt hit into the back

He braked I went left and hit his front wheel as he turned. because he slowed down to turn into the shoping center

Jantar
23rd April 2006, 16:53
Sorry to hear dude...

No, in this case folcan hit the car's front wheel. Its obviously a case of the cage driver not being in the corect lane for a left turn.

Folcan
23rd April 2006, 16:59
Well he was infront of me as he had just come from the right side lane with his indicators on. so I didnt think he was gonna turn in cus he was turning from the right lane into the left then carried on driving and then slowed right down and I avoided hitting the back by going on the left

here are some pics The most serious damage is to the right hand side fairing that hit the car and the left side back is scratched. then theres the footpeg is abit smaller lol better the footpeg then the fairing and I didnt take a picture of was the mirrors were bent and the clutch lever is slightly bent

Drew
23rd April 2006, 17:07
Not how it works I'm afraid, if falcon was following the car, and the car indicated his intent to turn, and our brother hadn't left himself enough room to stop, then the blame will lay squarly on his leather clad shoulders.
Sorry to hear about the bin, glad to hear your OK, but most likely thing is you'll need to break out the wallet.
PS
Dont let SIRCAGEALOT bully you with talk of his no claims and that it'll only be fuck all for you to pay. Let his insurance company foot the bill and pay them back at five quid a week.

Jantar
23rd April 2006, 17:17
folcan, Did he just cut across your lane into the shopping center, or did he drive in your lane for a distance while slowing down and indicating?

If the former, then his insurance pays. If the latter, then I'm sorry, you're screwed.

If the former, then his insurance pays. If the latter, then I'm sorry, you're screwed.

That's what I assumed from his post...

No insurance? Bit risky eh, but should cost too much by the sounds of it.

metric
23rd April 2006, 18:53
bummer

sorry to hear that

good luck with his insurance co & sorting it all out

Folcan
23rd April 2006, 19:14
Thanks

Im still on hoilday so Ill go sort it out 2morrow... filing the police report and stuff and I will see what happens from there

Krayy
24th April 2006, 08:57
Thanks

Im still on hoilday so Ill go sort it out 2morrow... filing the police report and stuff and I will see what happens from there
Make sure you draw a map of the road layout and the lanes people went from->to

(coppas love that sorta stuff)

Folcan
24th April 2006, 09:44
Yea I am busy drawing the map now.. I went on wises got the place it happened just now I gotta take a drive out there to get photos and measurements and stuff

And I was looking today I thought the clutch lever was bent but it turns out its actually the handle bar thats bent.. must have been the handle bar and foot peg and that saved the left side fairing from any damage

R6_kid
24th April 2006, 10:57
sounds to me like its his fault man, he changed into your lane (you slowed down to give him room and then he pulled across in front of you, if he wanted to turn left off the road he should have been in the left lane to do it, not changed across and then turned all in one move. The fact that you hit his front wheel should be enough to confirm that.

From what you've said if you didnt slow down he would have run you off the road.

Dont take any shit, hold your ground, and dont admit to anything - write down a story, make sure it clearly shows you in the right, and stick to it.

kiwifruit
24th April 2006, 11:03
gutted :(
i hope you get it sorted post haste

aff-man
24th April 2006, 11:04
Yeh I know exactley where it happened... Ther are heaps of drives into various shops there and car drivers pull across lanes and do all sorts of interesting manouvers there.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Lord Derosso
24th April 2006, 11:52
Snap, my first bin today too (but my bike's is in a very bad way). Good to hear no major damage.

What happened ??

And you have only had the bike a few weeks. Hope the missus wasn't on board at the time though glad no injuries. Rimatukas ?? Any photos ??
Hope it doesnt put you off though I suppose the bike will be in the shop for a while. Keep in touch on the forums. Cheers

OMG
24th April 2006, 11:57
What happened ??

And you have only had the bike a few weeks. Hope the missus wasn't on board at the time though glad no injuries. Rimatukas ?? Any photos ??
Hope it doesnt put you off though I suppose the bike will be in the shop for a while. Keep in touch on the forums. Cheers
It's all in here :no: My first bin (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=587834#post587834), including a photo!

Folcan
24th April 2006, 13:10
Well I went to the police station.. and they said dont need to report it because the police werent there, and no one was badly hurt they said we must wait for the guys insurance company to get in contact with us...

So I guess just need to wait

Ixion
24th April 2006, 14:00
Report it, if you think you are in the right (if you think it was your fault, shut up)

LAND TRANSPORT ACT 1998
PART 3 - ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES CONCERNING ROAD TRANSPORT
22.Driver's duties where accident occurs—

(1)If an accident arising directly or indirectly from the operation of a vehicle occurs to a person or to a vehicle, the driver or rider of the vehicle must—
(a)Stop and ascertain whether a person has been injured; and
(b)Render all practicable assistance to any injured persons.

2)The driver or rider of the vehicle must, if required by an enforcement officer or any other person involved in the accident, give the officer or other person—
(a)The driver's or rider's name and address; and

(b)The name and address of the owner of the vehicle; and

(c)If the vehicle concerned is a motor vehicle, the number or letters or other expression on the registration plates assigned to the vehicle.

(3)If the accident involves an injury to or the death of a person, the driver or rider must report the accident in person at the nearest police station or to an enforcement officer as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case not later than 24 hours after the time of the accident, unless the driver or rider is incapable of doing so by reason of injuries sustained by him or her in the accident.

You must report ANY injury, not just serious ones. And you were injured.

If the cops say they don't want to know, tell them they may not, but the law does, and MAKE them record it (as above , assuming you think it was not your fault)

Because, you reporting it, places you in the moral high ground when it comes to arguing with insurance companies.

Folcan
24th April 2006, 14:04
is this not for the driver of the car to report then cus he wasnt injuried in anyway?

Ixion
24th April 2006, 14:12
Yes, he should. But if he thinks he was in the wrong he will not want to. So you may (and should).

But, if you think it was your fault, best to just shut up - and if the insurance company come demanding money from you, retort "Well, if your client thought he was blameless, how come he failed to report the accident? Huh? Huh? How come? Afraid the police would charge him if he did, eh? Eh? " . Not a defence in law, but powerful moral ammunition.

Folcan
24th April 2006, 14:58
well now I think its abit late to report :S we just got home from the police station after 1 so its more then 24 hours now

anyone got any ideas how to straighten a handle bar.. it seems pretty solid.. I guess it would have helped to have a working Steering lock now too

Drew
24th April 2006, 16:27
Easy as bro. Take off the grip, clutch lever and clamp, switch block too, hold your ladys hair drier on the bent spot for ten minutes on full heat, slide a pipe over so the end is at the bend, then heave in the opposite direction of da bend.
Make sure you got someone holding onto the bike tho cos they tend to tip over with that much leverage.
Longer the pipe, easier it gets.

Brett
24th April 2006, 21:07
Glad to hear ur ok! I have had some close calls on that damn road. People drive like idiots.
Just this weekend, i had someone indicate left, brake, not check mirrors and go into a very fast u-turn with me following not too far behind at all, only about 3 or 4 seconds. Only thanks to upgraded brakes, expensive tyres and being alert that i stopped quickly (in the cage). If i was driving the wifes corolla, there is no way he would have got away so easily.

Rhino
24th April 2006, 22:52
Glad to hear ur ok! I have had some close calls on that damn road. People drive like idiots.
Just this weekend, i had someone indicate left, brake, not check mirrors and go into a very fast u-turn with me following not too far behind at all, only about 3 or 4 seconds. Only thanks to upgraded brakes, expensive tyres and being alert that i stopped quickly (in the cage). If i was driving the wifes corolla, there is no way he would have got away so easily.
Someone needs to invent an elctronic gizmo that converts your vehicle into a 40 tonne truck at the push of button. Then when the next cretin does that you can just roll on and let Darwin do his job. :)

Shadows
24th April 2006, 23:59
Rotten luck when its someone elses fault. My bin was my own fault but I wont even bother with an insurance claim cause my excess is $1800 and there will probably be around $500 to fix the damage. Must check out insurances cause if I did do major damage I dont have $1800 bucks lying around to pitch in if they wanted to fix it.
Glad your ok, any bruises at all?

"Kiwibike" are pretty good. A webby search will pull them up.