PDA

View Full Version : My first bin :(

OMG
23rd April 2006, 15:01
Well it had to happen sooner or later...:doh:

Was on the newbie ride (though not for very long! :killingme ), when it finally happened. Had just over taken some cages, so was going faster than the speed limit, but not that much. I should have known that there could have been gravel on the road, but the signs saying there was gravel were gone, I just kept going for it.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, it is a corner I have ridden several times, but about 200m before the corner, I got a bit of vibration/shake in the rear, I think this upset my line into the corner. I hit some gravel, but rather than go straight down, I was heading straight ahead - into the armco :no: . I hit more gravel as I went over the middle of the road, so steered straight ahead through that, hoping to catch it on the right hand side of the road. I almost did too, but then I caught the gravel again, and slid into the armco, and then down the road.

I'm guessing the bike is a write off, and all my gear needs replacing (boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet). But despite all that, I've only got two very small grazes, and 1 cut, so I am really pleased I bought decent gear (Cordura, not leather).

As I said, I was on the newbie ride, so everyone was there when it happened - which was terribly embarrassing! :Oops: (Phoenix, don't spose you got some photos????), but thanks for everyone’s help. Even Mr Plod :Police: was really good.

Obviously I’ve very please to get away with more bruising to the ego than that body, and hope that I won’t be doing “My second bin” post anytime soon.

Take care out there

sAsLEX
23rd April 2006, 15:09
so I am really pleased I bought decent gear (Cordura, not leather).

Are you suggesting codura is better?

Sucks about the crash at least there was someone round to help you pick it up.

OMG
23rd April 2006, 15:22

Nah, I'm sure if it had been leather it would still be good, but I am saying that Codura did a good job in terms of crash protection. I do have go shopping for more now though (hope Mr Insuranceman is feeling generous)

mikey
23rd April 2006, 15:22

Sucks about the crash at least there was someone round to help you pick it up.

he just said has only crashed once so wouldnt know

so buy some leathers next time an get back to us on what better to crash.

sAsLEX
23rd April 2006, 15:29
Nah, I'm sure if it had been leather it would still be good, but I am saying that Codura did a good job in terms of crash protection. I do have go shopping for more now though (hope Mr Insuranceman is feeling generous)

should be able to claim on contents for that sort of stuff.

beyond
23rd April 2006, 15:33
Good to hear you are ok. Pays to wear the gear, for sure. :0

Gravel on a corner and no signs. MMmmm, sounds very familiar. It's a trick to get us off the roads I reckon. Happening way to much.

Unit
23rd April 2006, 15:34
I had a 'soft' bin last weekend and sounds like I came off worse than you did, whats with that!! My bike is ok though, nothing that cant be fixed so's you wouldnt tell it happened. Wrenched my shoulder that I came down on heavily and some solid bruising all down my left side. I hit gravel too that I didnt see and washed out the front wheel as I was pulling in at the next meeting point. :no: Bruised ego was definately the most damage done, and just when Im about to trade my bike in grrrrrrrrrrr. :doh: I had a good leather jacket on with solid armour, but still managed to wrench my shoulder which is going to take a bit more recovery time yet, but wasnt wearing riding pants so got stung with the bruising. Sorted that though as I bought Tillers leather suit on the weekend, now both TL Rider and I are wearing his pants, talk about nauseating :crazy:

OMG
23rd April 2006, 15:35
he just said has only crashed once so wouldnt know

so buy some leathers next time an get back to us on what better to crash.
Will do, do you want me to crash in the same spot too, to make it more scientific?? :laugh:

Str8 Jacket
23rd April 2006, 15:46
Bad luck dude! Glad your ok though, couldve been worse by the sounds of it...

Jantar
23rd April 2006, 15:51
Will do, do you want me to crash in the same spot too, to make it more scientific?? :laugh:
Absolutely. Thats the only true way to demonstarte to you how much better leather is. Glad to hear you came out of it OK even if your bike didn't. How much damage is there to the bike?

Kendog
23rd April 2006, 15:58
Glad to hear you're ok there.

OMG
23rd April 2006, 16:00
How much damage is there to the bike?
The entire left side is munted, ground right through fairing and though the crank case. The right side has relatively 'minor' damage.

Sketchy_Racer
23rd April 2006, 17:49
Yep that was one big hole in the side of your crankcase....

I have a photo off my Cell phone... ill go see what it comes out like on the computer.

Sketchy_Racer
23rd April 2006, 17:55

Coyote
23rd April 2006, 17:58
You can get a panelbeater to weld the crankcase up. It ain't gonna be pretty though

(well actually I thought having a massive scar on the engine of my old CBR looked pretty wicked)

Jase W
23rd April 2006, 17:59
Gutted man! I was lucky with my first bin - it was on a shitty honda gl145, no plastic to worry about. The worst part isnt the actual crash, its the "oooh, shit!" feeling just before it happens...

Paul in NZ
23rd April 2006, 18:01
Sorry to hear that you had an off! I didn't see any gravel (wasn't looking for it either) when I went through before you so it could have been me! Gleep!

Still, a little less damage than was related to me! The crankshaft still appears to be attached to the bike! :laugh:

Paul N

sels1
23rd April 2006, 18:02
I just missed seeing it happen, you had just gone out of sight after passing those cars. Sorry to see the mess yr bike's in, but at least you are ok and the bike can be replaced - thats why we pay insurance eh? Didnt think to take a photo - had the camera in the topbox.
When we were coming home there was a Fulton Hogan guy cleaning up the oil spot.

OMG
23rd April 2006, 18:31
You can get a panelbeater to weld the crankcase up.
I rather it is written off and then I can go shopping (though I really liked that bike).

knight rider
23rd April 2006, 19:05
bro I gota say you were lucky. your bike was munted mirror crankcaseclutch lever..... I remeber stopping there was oil all over the road traffic had come to a stop. other motorcyclist were directing the trafic around the crash. you helmet is a right off I could see how deep those scratches were. That helmet did it's job. & that was all after you hit the barrier (on the other side of the road) That's the wrose accident I've ever seen. Am glad your ok & am alive to ride another day. (when you get a new bike) Also good on you for getting insurance. I still don't know what that cop was on about :I hope you all learn from this especially the way your all riding" something along those lines. we wern't even speeding it's a newbie ride we don't go faster than 100km/h. There should've been signs telling us to reduce our speed & warning us of gravel. There could've been many more accidents there. I noticed signs on the way back warning of road works & to reduce speed to 30km/h. Too late I say. Yeah put signs up after someones crashed not before. Anyway like I said mate am glad your ok. could've been a lot worse

White trash
23rd April 2006, 19:18
Was at an incident fairly recently when a rider (of reasonable experience) dropped there bike on "unmarked" gravel from past road works. After much stomping of feet and swearing by ALL present parties, a crew turned up who had been performing said roadworks.

We abused the fuck outta these blokes and they apologetically said they were sure the signs were there and took off to have a look. "Fuck that!" sez I and chased them down the road, eager to catch them erecting the signs "after the fact". Well fuck me if the sign weren't there all along and nobody had bothered to notice them.

Take from that what you will.

Deano
23rd April 2006, 19:23
Well fuck me if the sign weren't there all along and nobody had bothered to notice them.

Take from that what you will.

They erected them on their way TO the crash after having it phoned in....

You can call me old, but you can't call me stupid....or slow.:drinkup:

phoenixgtr
23rd April 2006, 21:09
(Phoenix, don't spose you got some photos????)

Sorry mate. I'd buggered off home by that point. Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you're ok. Have fun shopping for your new ride, I know I would

Slingshot
23rd April 2006, 21:52
there was a Fulton Hogan guy cleaning up the oil spot.

As I rode past and was doing a bit of rubber necking, the bike had a bit of a wiggle, just like when you momentarily lose traction...I wonder if I hit that bit of oil.

OMG, I would have stopped but it looked like you were sorted, the mufti ute had just left and the bike was on the back of the tow truck.

Streetwise
23rd April 2006, 23:21
I came back past after i stopped and had a chat with you (XJR1300), The councill was busy putting signs in place. Bugger it was to late. You may be able to ask the council for a bit of a hand out, The officers where there as the council where putting the signs out, Could be worth asking the question.

knight rider
24th April 2006, 00:00
I came back past after i stopped and had a chat with you (XJR1300), The councill was busy putting signs in place. Bugger it was to late. You may be able to ask the council for a bit of a hand out, The officers where there as the council where putting the signs out, Could be worth asking the question.

yeah like a new bike lol

Korea
24th April 2006, 03:07
Ye Olde Gravel strikes again.

My first bin was almost exactly the same:
Overtook a car, entered a little too fast for the corner, went wide, gravel, slip, and bike spat me off. Got up all sheepish as the car passed by me...

Since then I treat gravel with the utmost respect.

Good to hear no permanent (physical) damage done.
Take it easy.

marty
24th April 2006, 06:22
*waits for motu and lou to join the 'there should be gravel signs everywhere' discussion*

skelstar
24th April 2006, 08:54
Unlucky mate.
Saw ya when riding mack from Slingy's ride. Plenty of cops so didnt stop as you had plenty of help. Couldnt tell what happened but you were standing up. Bike 'looked' ok but couldnt work out the clump of clay/stones in middle of road. Guess cleaning up oil stuff maybe.

Crasherfromwayback
24th April 2006, 09:19
I just missed seeing it happen, you had just gone out of sight after passing those cars. Sorry to see the mess yr bike's in, but at least you are ok and the bike can be replaced - thats why we pay insurance eh? Didnt think to take a photo - had the camera in the topbox.
When we were coming home there was a Fulton Hogan guy cleaning up the oil spot.
If it WASN'T sign posted, you will be able to go the contractors.
I binned my old GSXR a couple of years ago on some sand that was spread all over the road, went WCC and after annoying the fuck out of them for about 8 months finally got paid out for the damage to the bike AND my gear.
Sound like you'll have plenty of people to back you up if there were no signs..

Uncle B
24th April 2006, 09:26
I didn't see it happen as I was tail end charlie but as I came round the corner and saw everyone standing around and I kinda knew what had happened. Sorry dude about your bike and gear. Gutted.
Even though I knew about the gravel, there were NO warning signs. I talked to the more senior policeman (and did you notice how many & how quickly they arrived?....take note) about the state of the road and the piss poor job of clearing the gravel to which he replied "they have swept the road to do the markings" I just pointed to the cars crawling passed flicking up stones and he nodded in agreement.

Hate it when something like this happens cause others can't be fucked doing their job properly. Aren't they doing all this work to make the road better & safer for everyone. Leaving that crap on the road is dangerous.

skelstar
24th April 2006, 09:35
This is the kinda stuff that goes through my mind when Im wanting to ride fast around a blind corner. This is why I wont be the fastest rider in Wgtn...or anywhere. Who would want to be?

Sketchy_Racer
24th April 2006, 09:37
Yes it is dangerous......

But i have to say, the speed he entered, although not illegal (ish)

was a to fast for the conditions really.

if you dont know whats on or around the next corner, just need to take it easy...

Crasherfromwayback
24th April 2006, 09:56
This is the kinda stuff that goes through my mind when Im wanting to ride fast around a blind corner. This is why I wont be the fastest rider in Wgtn...or anywhere. Who would want to be?
Wise words. Save that sort of stuff for track days and race meets.

Lord Derosso
24th April 2006, 12:15
Thanks for the link. Glad you are alright. Its a real pain because I was mentioning in another forum last Wednesday about the number of gravel pits and unfinished/unmarked roadworks I have come across lately. Some are quite open and deep. Very bad south of the basin reserve areas. Heading north into the terrace tunnel is also bad with a lot of roadworks. I nearly came off heading up Alexandra Rd to the Mt Victoria lookout several months ago... same thing. Pile of loose gravel on the road. Just rode it out without braking and one foot down. I think I reverted to my old trail biking skills and didnt panic but it gets the blood up. Let us know what happens !!!

Qkkid
24th April 2006, 12:35
sorry to hear of your mishap glad your alright you sound like you were lucky

kiwifruit
24th April 2006, 14:09
ratshit :(
i hope you get it all sorted asap

Dafe
24th April 2006, 17:32
But despite all that, I've only got two very small grazes, and 1 cut, so I am really pleased I bought decent gear (Cordura, not leather).

Sorry to hear about the bin, although I do find they are invaluable lessons as I'm sure you'll agree. Good that you're in one piece of course!

OMG
24th April 2006, 20:15
Sorry to hear about the bin, although I do find they are invaluable lessons as I'm sure you'll agree. Good that you're in one piece of course!
Definately, lucky to get through it unhurt, and I'm sure I'll be a better rider now.

madboy
24th April 2006, 21:28
Bummer to hear about the bin dude. But, hey, at least it's only money this time. So whereabouts was this? Kaitoke or the takas themselves?

There's some gravel just past the summit that was pretty scary for me a week or so ago - right on the centreline into a right hander from memory - didn't help I was passing at the time. But Kaitoke's just plain dodgy and unpredictable so I don't even bother with the speed up there at the moment.

Lord Derosso
24th April 2006, 22:09
Was out and about today and felt a good spinout coming around the turnwheel to head to the airport. New tar and I must have got too cocky with the Pirellis been 'broken' in after 150 miles. Took the bike up to Haywoods and back through towards the Porirua harbour and handled fine. Saw a few riders heading to the Hutt so I am not the only one having today off? Someone in a red/black Jeep up my ass for a while so I pulled over to get rid of some big stinky bug hits off the visor and got a horn blast . I wasnt going slow. Fellow rider?Watch out for some huge gravel all over the road from some driveway.. Porirua end. Think its a truck yard??

knight rider
24th April 2006, 22:53
If it WASN'T sign posted, you will be able to go the contractors.
I binned my old GSXR a couple of years ago on some sand that was spread all over the road, went WCC and after annoying the fuck out of them for about 8 months finally got paid out for the damage to the bike AND my gear.
Sound like you'll have plenty of people to back you up if there were no signs..

yeah i counted 22 riders on sunday so that's 22 witnesses to say there were no signs

Streetwise
25th April 2006, 08:02
contact the council and lay a complaint, Small claims here we come.

OMG
25th April 2006, 09:58
contact the council and lay a complaint, Small claims here we come.
I've told the insurance company, I'll leave it up to them to do all the chasing (which I'm sure they will be happy to do if there is a buck or two in it for them). I've got a really good deal, so don't have to pay any excess (as it is my first claim), everything is covered, but will lose some of my no claims bonus for 1 year (about $300), so there is really very little incentive for me to personally put the effort in to go for the contractor or council. I hope that the insurance company get the money out of the contractor and that then the contractor will take a bit more care ensuring all the gravel is actually gone when they take away their signs.

metric
25th April 2006, 10:12
sorry to hear about it... good luck with your ins .co. nailing them for something!

surfchick
25th April 2006, 15:40
totally stoked you're OK. gravel is so bad in that context-super lucky you not meet with other traffic.:mellow:
good luck getting all your gear back together.