PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky brakes

aff-man
24th April 2006, 10:18
Ok my brakes are occasionally squeaking.

Pads look fine to me. Dunno whats causeing it... getting a bit worried when hard on the picks though. Don't want something to go wrong... been there done that lost the calliper.

sAsLEX
24th April 2006, 10:46
Still two callipers there?

Did you remeber to put pads in? Might just be the pistons on the rotor!

You might have put the pads in the wrong way!

And still two callipers?

aff-man
24th April 2006, 11:01
Still two callipers there?

Did you remeber to put pads in? Might just be the pistons on the rotor!

You might have put the pads in the wrong way!

And still two callipers?

Very funny... Yes both are there, pads are in right.

sAsLEX
24th April 2006, 11:02
Very funny... Yes both are there, pads are in right.

both lines connected? :laugh:

aff-man
24th April 2006, 11:06
both lines connected? :laugh:

Shit... *goes and checks* yes they are smart arse. :bleh:

GR81
24th April 2006, 11:26
the pads might have glazed over too hard.

B-rad
24th April 2006, 19:34
Not sure if its the same with bike brakes but car brakes normally have a metal shim which sits between the pad and pistons. You can get anti-squeaky brake spray which is put between the two.

Its the vibration between the two, well it is on cars anyway.

My 2cents

paturoa
24th April 2006, 19:52
Go for a short ride when cold and don't use the front brake.

The rotors should be at the same temp as when u started.

If not then start by pulling the calipers off, and clean and grease the pins (and holes that they fit into) that the calipers slide on.

How old - when was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

sAsLEX
24th April 2006, 20:31
If not then start by pulling the calipers off

Make sure you put them back on correctly!

Brett
24th April 2006, 21:44
yeah i get the same thing every now and again on the zxr...comes and goes. I think it is the pads glazing over cause they don't bite the rotor as well when this happens. I think it is the sort of pads that get used.

N4CR
24th April 2006, 22:17
Hmm, my right hand front disc pads wore down to metal again, they do it very sneakily.. you only notice when they actually get there, almost no fade beforehand. (and I was checking them too ffs... just hard to see without dismantling the whole thing).

I have a much harder compound on the right side now till I can afford new ones (also commuting 300k a week now and not much rides), and it squeeks occasionally and also makes large rubbing noises. Check if it's glazed, happens when that occurs too. I sanded off the pads with a drill sander and it helped for a bit then came back.

Get softer compounds man - mine last 5-6k... you'll thank me and your rear shock will hate you for it :lol: And your wallet.

Brett
24th April 2006, 22:27
Hmm, my right hand front disc pads wore down to metal again, they do it very sneakily.. you only notice when they actually get there, almost no fade beforehand. (and I was checking them too ffs... just hard to see without dismantling the whole thing).

I have a much harder compound on the right side now till I can afford new ones (also commuting 300k a week now and not much rides), and it squeeks occasionally and also makes large rubbing noises. Check if it's glazed, happens when that occurs too. I sanded off the pads with a drill sander and it helped for a bit then came back.

Get softer compounds man - mine last 5-6k... you'll thank me and your rear shock will hate you for it :lol: And your wallet.

Can you recommend a particular brand? Something i have not yet looked into since getting involved in bikes.

aff-man
24th April 2006, 22:44
heaps of brands out there cheapo's are GOLD... expensive (or more expensive) are SBS.. And there is a range inbetween.

If you buy a good set though it basically comes down to preferance and such things...

I think i'll strip down the callipers and take a look see.

WINJA
24th April 2006, 22:52
aff , sometimes you can replace the pads and rebuild the calipers when all it needed was some moly or copper antiseize on the back of the pads. somtimes that squel is the same squell as a wet finger being run round the rim of a glass , think of your caliper pistons as a glass and as the pads are moving against them moving thats like a finger , just a light smear and you should see where the cups hit so concentrate there

aff-man
25th April 2006, 11:01
aff , sometimes you can replace the pads and rebuild the calipers when all it needed was some moly or copper antiseize on the back of the pads. somtimes that squel is the same squell as a wet finger being run round the rim of a glass , think of your caliper pistons as a glass and as the pads are moving against them moving thats like a finger , just a light smear and you should see where the cups hit so concentrate there

Where do I get my hands on this stuff??

Sounds like that is the problem now that i think about it cause it is intermitant

Warr
25th April 2006, 11:25

Sounds like that is the problem now that i think about it cause it is intermitant
Small quantities are harder to come by. Got my last lot at Paykel Engineering.
That was about 500mls . Super cheap may have something. Even a tube of it would last agers

WINJA
25th April 2006, 17:03

KERRY AT MOTOHAUS HAD THE WURTH STUFF ,TOP OF THE LINE , A SMALL TUBE WILL LAST FOREVER , OR GIVE ME YOUR ADRESS AND ILL TRY TO POST SOME TO YOU FOR FREE

EDIT ; OR NEXT TIME YOU COME PAST STOP IN

WINJA
25th April 2006, 17:37
Try some CRC that will fix it probably<_<
GOTTA BE CAREFULL WHEN OFFERING ADVICE , ANTISEIZE IS MAINLY SOLIDS , AND CRC TENDS TO TRACK AROUND TO THE FRICTION MATERIAL , BEEN THERE DONE THAT

aff-man
25th April 2006, 17:52
KERRY AT MOTOHAUS HAD THE WURTH STUFF ,TOP OF THE LINE , A SMALL TUBE WILL LAST FOREVER , OR GIVE ME YOUR ADRESS AND ILL TRY TO POST SOME TO YOU FOR FREE

EDIT ; OR NEXT TIME YOU COME PAST STOP IN

sweet. Don't want to buy the stuff and find out it's not the problem. Pm me your number or addy or some rough area of where you are and i may be able to work something out.
Cheers

WINJA
25th April 2006, 18:05
sweet. Don't want to buy the stuff and find out it's not the problem. Pm me your number or addy or some rough area of where you are and i may be able to work something out.
Cheers
I LIVE ON HW22 , YOU CAN COME BY OR JUST GIVE ME YOUR POSTAL ADRESS.
ACTUALLY I BETTER MAKE SURE IVE STILL GOT SOME

WINJA
25th April 2006, 18:09
yip i got heaps

Quasievil
25th April 2006, 18:12
GOTTA BE CAREFULL WHEN OFFERING ADVICE , ANTISEIZE IS MAINLY SOLIDS , AND CRC TENDS TO TRACK AROUND TO THE FRICTION MATERIAL , BEEN THERE DONE THAT

I was joking :confused:

imdying
25th April 2006, 18:43
Worse than that, CRC is petroleum based and will swell and otherwise fuck the seals. The wurth brake paste is good... comes in little sachets as well as tubes.

Quasievil
25th April 2006, 18:47
Oh for fucks sake, Im deleting it

V Twin Raver
25th April 2006, 18:55
Ok my brakes are occasionally squeaking.

Pads look fine to me. Dunno whats causeing it... getting a bit worried when hard on the picks though. Don't want something to go wrong... been there done that lost the calliper.

Buy Genuine Suzuki Brake Pads, you won't have any probs.......then again they are Suzuki.........so you probably will continue to have problems..........that was a waste of time post huh

WINJA
25th April 2006, 21:04
Buy Genuine Suzuki Brake Pads, you won't have any probs.......then again they are Suzuki.........so you probably will continue to have problems..........that was a waste of time post huh
I SEE YOU RIDE A HONDA:laugh: GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEXT WARRANTY CLAIM

sAsLEX
25th April 2006, 21:43
I SEE YOU RIDE A HONDA:laugh: GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEXT WARRANTY CLAIM

I see you used to your suzuki breaking down then, build it once build it right mate!

imdying
25th April 2006, 22:10
Oh for fucks sake, Im deleting it
Ahahahah, don't feel bad... you were only joking, I've actually seen heaps of people to it :lol: Sometimes, the seals swell so much, the damn pistons won't come out without serious hydraulic pressure :lol: Now sell me some pants!