PDA

View Full Version : Bike Won't Start

Grrrrrr....

I've been down in Wellington on holiday for the last week and had the bike stored at home.

Started it yesterday when I got it outta the basement, and it started up a little rough but generally fine. Didn't have time to take it for a ride so just turned it off and left it downstairs.

Come to head out today, won't start.

Can tell that it's sparking ok, but doesn't seem to be hitting anything it can ignite. I've checked that there's petrol in the tank, but have a feeling that there's none in the engine already which it can spark to start up. Oh, and I turned the fuel off when I was away, but it's definitely on now, even tried starting on the reserve setting.

Tried just turning it over for a bit to see if that forced some juice in, but all I did was run the battery low. :(

Anyone know anything about ZXRs and how to get this POS going again?

Cheers muchly.

enigma51
24th April 2006, 11:44
Through it with stones!

Give it a bit of a running start it might not have enough fuel in carb or something like that

MSTRS
24th April 2006, 11:48
Turn the fuel tap to 'Prime' for a minute or two. Then back to 'On' and have another try at starting. If no luck, remove a plug or two to see if they are wet (if so, you are getting fuel to the engine) in which case I don't know what the problem is...

Prime?

I've got ON, RES, and OFF... where is prime?

MSTRS
24th April 2006, 11:52
Oh....seem to recall from another thread that ZXR's have a prime position....oh well. How many tubes come off the tank tap??

aff-man
24th April 2006, 11:54
Ok Zxr's are a bitch if you don't run them. Plugs are probably fouled. Mine did that after a week standing as well.

On a better note the 400 was the easiest bike i've worked on and really easy to wip the plugs out and give them a cleaning.

You live out my way?? I'll give ya a hand if ya need.

Urm... two I think...

I know pretty much jack shit about bike mechanics :(

Ok Zxr's are a bitch if you don't run them. Plugs are probably fouled. Mine did that after a week standing as well.

On a better note the 400 was the easiest bike i've worked on and really easy to wip the plugs out and give them a cleaning.

You live out my way?? I'll give ya a hand if ya need.

So take out the spark plugs and give them a clean?

I live in Kohi.

MSTRS
24th April 2006, 12:01
Urm... two I think...

Well that's me stumped....or is it.....
ZXR is a 2 or 4 cylinder??? Fuel hoses on inline motors tend to feed 1 carb with a cross-over directly between pairs of carbs. The 2nd or 3rd hose from the tap is usually a smaller diameter and goes to the inlet manifold somewhere and activates the tap by means of the resultant vacuum (ENGINE HAS TO BE GOING OF COURSE).

I must be thinking of something else then... hmmm... i'll pop down and see if there's any prime on it anywhere

Thanks for the advice guys... bike is running again now.

Pushed it around a bit to get the petrol flowing, then she started up fine... ran her for a few minutes as well to make sure the petrol was flowing properly.

Bling duely awarded.

aff-man
24th April 2006, 12:36
Thanks for the advice guys... bike is running again now.

Pushed it around a bit to get the petrol flowing, then she started up fine... ran her for a few minutes as well to make sure the petrol was flowing properly.

Bling duely awarded.

Sweet... It will pay to clean off the plugs or check them after leaving it sit for a while though. Just in case. I can remember with dread the times I had to push start my 400...... bloody heavy things

Yeh will do... looking at doing a full service on it at some point, oil change etc...

Oh, and the bike doesn't weigh that much more than me anyways, but I live at the bottom of a steep drive, so pushing 160kgs up a 45% incline isn't fun.