PDA

View Full Version : Lost in paradise.

Bonez
24th April 2006, 20:24
Few pics from yesterdays we jaunt. Rodger is really rapt with getting his GB and has done almost 1500ks in it on the last 3 days. We got some more pictures on Rodgers camera, a flash all singing dancing thing and will post them once he's turned his back and I can snaffle it ;).

Basicly back rds from Palmy to Taihape, over the Napier/Taihape Rd.
Around the clay cliff area just out of Mangakino a tree had slipped onto the road on our side. A cone was the only warning we got to indicate anything was wrong. On the Napier/Taihape Rd we met up with a gent from Martonborough on a BMW 1200GS and had a good natter.

On to Havelock North. Then home via back of Te Mata Peak. Grabbed our Cold Duck tickets and badges from the Pub on Easthorpe Rd-Rodger hadn't been on that road before. Scared off the local H-D crowd and had a natter with some blokes riding a mix of early 80s cb900/750f/ks and a shoc cb750/4. A lad with a TL1000 turned up as we where leaving. He'd come down from Wangamomina. Seemed to be enjoying himself.

Toodled off via Wiapuk Porahgahau via Blackhead beach rd, Wimbleton, Dannivirke (basicly the reverse of first part of last weekends trip) and off home via main drag as we where running late for Rodgers evening out with his old man.

Considering we did 500 odd kms there were naff all bikes about. Well, not on the roads we where on anyway. Oh almost forgot. There was a GN250 rider having a ball in some tight stuff out in the middle of nowhere...............

zadok
24th April 2006, 20:38
Onya. Sounds like a good ride. Nice looking area/roads (Good old N.Z)

Bonez
24th April 2006, 21:29
The Napier/Taihapi Rd only has around 25kms of gravel. From the Taihapi end it is good -wide and quite hard packed. From the Napier side of the "gentle annie" though it's around 10kms of judder bars, certainly overdue for grading. Worth doing it for the scenery though.

Motu
24th April 2006, 21:44
Did you have a race? Come on - who's got the fastest GB?

Bonez
24th April 2006, 21:54
Did you have a race? Come on - who's got the fastest GB?The blue one of course.......................well even really Rodger is quicker on the gravel and I can run rings around him on the seal. His seems to be the gruntier of the two though. I don't think the oversized headers, put on by the previous owner, on mine do it any favours. Bloody good fun bikes though.

He is now a definate GB convert. Got his from New Plymoth and it had had bugger all maintenance done by the previous owner. Had a new camchain fitted, engine flush, new oil and filter-oil was like tar, tightened up the counter shaft spocket screws which were rubbing on the cover and a new final drive chain.

As I said on the ride-"We were in no hurry to get anywhere fast" or was that "We've got all day to get nowhere fast................

Motu
24th April 2006, 22:02
I'd love a GB,when I get to have every bike I want,a GB will be one of the first I collect.

Shadows
25th April 2006, 00:32
I'd love a GB,when I get to have every bike I want,a GB will be one of the first I collect.

Used to have one, loved it. A bit on the underpowered side though, but made up for that in handling.

Motu
25th April 2006, 10:14
Well,that's the whole point for me,I have a shit load more fun pushing a modestly powered bike to it's limits than riding some super fast perfect handling bike that I'll never scratch the surface of it's abilities no matter how great a rider I am.With a GB I can test both mine and the bike's limits,or at least as far as I'm prepard to go anyway.

Bonez
25th April 2006, 12:03
Well,that's the whole point for me,I have a shit load more fun pushing a modestly powered bike to it's limits than riding some super fast perfect handling bike that I'll never scratch the surface of it's abilities no matter how great a rider I am.With a GB I can test both mine and the bike's limits,or at least as far as I'm prepard to go anyway.Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. They handle the uneven roads some here moan about with aplum and grace. Good for shorties hence Rodger getting his, excellent fuel range and all round running costs. You should have seen the grin on his face after our Sunday ride. Ear to ear it was.

Korea
26th April 2006, 03:40
Nice one. I particularly like the green grass - we don't get that much of it here.
I'm really hankering for a nice foresty road - like sections of the Paekakariki hill road (Wellington/Kapiti ways), but haven't found one in S.Korea yet...

I heard the hill road is pretty heavily patrolled these days and speed limit is right down :no:

u4ea
26th April 2006, 03:45
yea they are awesome roads round wimbolten.korea hope you find some good roads soon over there,town riding sounds a little dubious...........

cowboyz
26th April 2006, 07:58
sounds like a good day. just as well I didnt come along or I would be bitching about the gravel.. all good though. James is back. we went for a small ride out to Masterton over the track to drop a kid off on Sat. Felt good to be in the twistys again. Had the mojo going well.

phantom
26th April 2006, 08:31
Another good ride you bastard. 36 days to go before I'm allowed back on mine then there will be another GB on our roads:oi-grr:

Bonez
26th April 2006, 18:42
Another good ride you bastard. 36 days to go before I'm allowed back on mine then there will be another GB on our roads:oi-grr:Rodger's had heart work done too Pete. Said you'll be a box of duffy fluxs ;). Sing out when you go out on your first post op ride eh.:ride:

phantom
26th April 2006, 19:22
You'll probably hear me from across town

Meanie
26th April 2006, 19:50
Nice one guys looks like you had a fun ride
Im afraid im with cowboyz though im not keen on that gravel it takes too long to clean me bike afterwards :laugh:
Are you guys starting a new cult The GBs :killingme :killingme :killingme

Bonez
27th April 2006, 03:52
Im afraid im with cowboyz though im not keen on that gravel it takes too long to clean me bike afterwards :laugh:
Are you guys starting a new cult The GBs :killingme :killingme :killingmeCertains up, spot lights on and the band starts the tune of the song "Being Alive!!!, Being Alive!!":innocent:

combo man
28th April 2006, 17:10
Are you guys starting a new cult The GBs :killingme :killingme :killingme

Yeah, GB could stand for "Good Bastards"! I'm a 100% GB convert that's for sure! Love the darn thing ta bits! After our run on Sunday I washed it ( first bike I'd washed for about 5 years ), but I'm not gunna do that again coz it didn't fix the dents in the tank! So where we garn next Bonez?

Bonez
29th April 2006, 13:49
Yeah, GB could stand for "Good Bastards"! I'm a 100% GB convert that's for sure! Love the darn thing ta bits! After our run on Sunday I washed it ( first bike I'd washed for about 5 years ), but I'm not gunna do that again coz it didn't fix the dents in the tank! So where we garn next Bonez?I guess another "around the block ride". :blip: But another block. :yes:

Now, where did you hide your piccy taking machine ya barstard!!!:innocent:

clint640
1st May 2006, 15:04
Great Stuff, The Napier Taihape is a great ride, the seal bits either side are awesome road riding & the scenery is cool. I too am a closet GB400 admirer, one day I'm gunna break down & buy one.

Cheers
Clint

Bonez
22nd May 2006, 19:50
Some more piccies

ldnz
23rd May 2006, 09:43
I was really impressed with the GB's too. Are they all that available? They seem like the ideal bike for real back road bashing. My bike is fine on the windiest sealed roads, though I was having trouble with some of the bumps the other day, but on gravel its absolute crap. Watching you guys on the loose seal the other day, you didn't seem to slow down at all.

froggyfrenchman
23rd May 2006, 18:03
Hey, i recognise my favorite pub... the patangata! And that dirty scummy slapper tl1000s belongs to a mate of mine, Mike.

He had headed over to the rally in whangamomomommomogama that weekend. I must have missed you guys by about 15 minuites, as Mike hadnt been there long when i turned up on my (suprise suprise) GB400tt!!!!!

Bonez
23rd May 2006, 18:03
I was really impressed with the GB's too. Are they all that available? They seem like the ideal bike for real back road bashing. My bike is fine on the windiest sealed roads, though I was having trouble with some of the bumps the other day, but on gravel its absolute crap. Watching you guys on the loose seal the other day, you didn't seem to slow down at all.There's always one on Trademe up for sale. Rumour has it ANZA "may" have one or two well used ones around the back. I know at least one of the salesmen has toured the south island on his-tis all the bike one needs you see ;). I guess having skinny tyres smaller contact patch is an advantage on the looser seal. They just chew through it instead of floating on top. I like the fact that they have a reasonable fuel range. I'm 6 foot and with the extra height the sheep skin on the seat it's a perfect fit.