justsomeguy
25th April 2006, 10:05
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/travel_top_ten_100/110_travel_top_ten.html

Guess what's at no. 2.

Anyone here ridden any of these roads??

Blairos
25th April 2006, 10:11
I wonder who wrote this...

Tour highlight: The road from Te Anau to Queenstown is the best part of the trip, as it meanders through lakes, mountain sides and coastline, culminating in a ride along the coast of the Tasman Sea

Last time I went from Te Anau to Queenstown, it was an inland road :)

Has something new been built in the last 10 months? :laugh:

cowboyz
25th April 2006, 10:25
not to mention.. what are you doing anywhere near Queenstown on a trip from Christchurch to Auckland? That is some bad navigating

limbimtimwim
25th April 2006, 10:39
hour-long ferryErm. No.

What are you doing reading such a high-class website anyway? :-)

justsomeguy
25th April 2006, 10:49
Erm. No.

What are you doing reading such a high-class website anyway? :-)

It's my favourite site.

beyond
25th April 2006, 10:54
AAwww, they didn't include the Coro Loop as number one. :oi-grr:

Blairos
25th April 2006, 10:56
AAwww, they didn't include the Coro Loop as number one. :oi-grr:

But this would have been reported as an Alpine Pass route that included a 5 min boat ride from Auckland to Great Barrier

Fatjim
25th April 2006, 21:13
Have to admit the Black forest is the biz. Some of those Alpine passes make me damp too.

Pity I did them in a car and not a bike.

BuFfY
25th April 2006, 21:32
Is it just me or did any one else think this thread was going to be dirty?

Nope.... just me then

Madness
25th April 2006, 22:10
Nope.... just me then

Sorry you're dissapointed. If it's any consolation, I think Fatjim is just a tad damp...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jantar
25th April 2006, 22:13
I believe that the route described starts in Christchurch, heads down the center to Te-Anau and Milford, then up to Queenstown, Wanaka and the west coast, Nelson, Picton.

I do want to try out that one hour ferry ride though. :ride: :ride:

Ixion
25th April 2006, 22:38

Nope.... just me then

In today's grammar lesson, folks, we will learn about ------ homonyms.

And, oddly , they have nothing to do with gay nyms . Etymology is for the advanced classes though.

This public service message brought to you by BOTTYNZ - beware of imitations.

Jantar
25th April 2006, 22:45
And, oddly , they have nothing to do with gay nyms . .

No, That would be confusing them with homonymphs.

Ixion
25th April 2006, 22:57
No such thing, all nymphs was decided heterosexual , the bonking target of the satyrs. (And the less said about *them* the better).

After all, I should know. Should have stuck with nymphs and left bloody clouds strictly alone.

Korea
26th April 2006, 03:32
I've been over the Dolomites mentioned at No.10 but, sadly, not on two wheels.
Older brother worked for an Austrian company that organised tours over some of those roads which, although full of some awesome tight twisties and breath-taking vistas, were in pretty rough condition last I saw (about 3 years ago). Must be better now...

What?
26th April 2006, 06:07
I believe that the route described starts in Christchurch...
Which is at the southern tip of the country...

Rosie
26th April 2006, 09:38
Which is at the southern tip of the country...

Which makes you realise that half the things you read in travel reports about other countries must be utter crap too.

PaddyFZ1
27th April 2006, 18:10
I spent a week over in Aussie a couple of years ago. Travelled about 2000 km in the week i was there.
My friend, Mark had a 02 SV650 and a old CX500.
Rode from Surfers down to Stuarts Point, about 500 km, Next day looped in land to Armidale and back to Stuarts Point, about 600 km. Went on the Oxlely Highway, great piece of rd.
You know you are in for plenty of fun when you see signs that read "winding road next 35 km", and atleast 30 - 40 bikes going the other way.:blip: Next day back to Surfers.
The roads were amazing ranging from tight twisties, to long sweepers, to straights kms long.

clint640
28th April 2006, 12:54
I've been over the Dolomites mentioned at No.10 but, sadly, not on two wheels.
Older brother worked for an Austrian company that organised tours over some of those roads which, although full of some awesome tight twisties and breath-taking vistas, were in pretty rough condition last I saw (about 3 years ago). Must be better now...

I had a bit of a fang around the Austrian bit on a KTM Supermoto back in October. Seriously good riding. Most of the roads were in excellent shape, especially the toll roads as you would expect when paying $20+

Cheers
Clint