PDA

View Full Version : Not my year...

Beemer
25th April 2006, 12:01
2005 was a great year but so far 2006 is looking pretty crappy! It didn't start out so well, with me facing an expensive legal battle to protect my trading name (I won, but it still cost me over $5000), and it hasn't got much better. Our cat was attacked by the neighbours' cat, who then rang 111 and said I threatened to shoot said cat! (Our cat had to undergo surgery costing about $700.) Petrol goes up just when I get a four month contract working in Palmerston North, so I now spend close to $70 a week just to get to and from work. The battery in our car died at Easter, and then some mongrel scraped all along our right rear bumper when we went to the Rolling Stones concert in Wellington.

That was bad enough, but yesterday capped it all off - well, until the next drama anyway! When I went to the dentist for a check-up recently he referred me to an oral surgeon as he'd noticed a problem with my jaw - TMJ (temporal mandibular jaw) syndrome. I've had it before and it was corrected by wearing a mouth splint at nights. I visited the surgeon yesterday and the good news is I don't need the $700 splint. However, the bad news is I need a $2300 operation instead! Yes, the damage is more severe than last time so a splint wouldn't be of much use and I need a procedure called an arthroscopy. They make incisions in front of my ears and perform microsurgery on me to clean out the joints and ensure they are working properly. Oh yay, can't wait for June 14...

Scorpygirl
25th April 2006, 12:05
Bugger mate. :no: Keep your chin up!!! Good luck for the surgery.:grouphug:

Sniper
25th April 2006, 12:07
Bugger beemer. Thoughts go out to you and yours.All the best for the surgery

Colapop
25th April 2006, 12:07
Still breathing? Still riding? Not being flippant but you gotta look on the bright side of things. Keep your spirits up. It's easy for me to say - I'm not in your position. But, I have my issues and if I let things get on top of me then I can't see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Chin up girl.

Beemer
25th April 2006, 12:21
Funnily enough, I think my husband is more worried about the surgery than I am - all I can think of is "yay, soon I won't have constant headaches, neck pain, jaw ache, ear ache, pain when yawning or chewing, etc"! But it's true, you don't realise how lucky you are until you have health problems.

We still live in a lovely home, we still have plenty to eat (and drink :drinkup: ) and we have enough to pay the bills, it's just one of those 'one thing after another' type years!

Oh, and the microwave is obviously on its way out - it counts down to about a minute then switches off without beeping or anything. The breadmaker is about to die too, but I took advantage of a Farmers' sale last year and got one for 15% off so it's waiting for the fatefull day!

I am still riding (I rode to work last Friday and it was lovely!) although I think I'll be out of action for a while with the jaw - there was talk of a pressure bandage so I'd say the snugness of a helmet won't be that attractive until it's all healed.

Oh, and I have total faith in the surgeon - he's not only a real hard case, he knew Burt Munro! Said he used to go and help him get onto his old Velocette and marvel at the speeds he would go wearing very little protective gear! And I have been 'knocked out' by the anaesthetist before and he's into bikes, so I'll be in safe hands! The only downside is I won't get sick pay while I'm off as I'm on an hourly rate with no leave provisions built in. I didn't even get paid for last Tuesday as it was a Massey holiday and not a public one.

I asked the surgeon if he could do a bit of a face lift while he was at it but he said I didn't need it - bugger, a blind surgeon isn't good! :oi-grr:

Colapop
25th April 2006, 12:27
Just had a thought... Is it wrong to have said "Chin up"??:stupid:
Sometimes you have times where ya 'just get by' and others where times are good. I don't know how truly happy people do it. Just gotta be happy to be happy I suppose. You don't sound too upset by it all (on the whole). Granted things aint the best it seems but you seem to be dealing with it ok.
The surgeon and <strike>anet</strike> <strike>annieat</strike> <strike>anti</strike> the knock out guy seem like good guys.

Beemer
25th April 2006, 12:52
I think my biggest moan is about the expense of all these 'unnecessary' things - you don't mind spending money on a holiday, new bike, new camera (which I'd just ordered before I heard about the cost of the operation - oh well!), etc, but spending money replacing things that have broken/died or on unexpected costs (vet, surgeon, etc) gets a bit depressing after a while. I was looking forward to being able to save most of the money I'll be earning at Massey but it all seems to be getting used for everything but savings!

Ask me whether 'chin up' was the right thing to say AFTER the surgery - sounds like I won't be enjoying a steak for a while!

Colapop
25th April 2006, 12:57
Sometimes it's good just have a moan. Just as well you will still be able to type - you'll be able to 'talk' to all of us!!

Edbear
25th April 2006, 13:26
Any time one thinks one has problems one only needs to listen to someone else! My niece had to have major jaw surgery last year and it was a success, she's a professional singer so it was a bit nerve wracking. All the best! Sounds like you've got the right attitude, and yeah, your hubby will naturally be anxious for you. Knowing what each other is going through is the best way to have a good attitude to relationships, and to have good relationships - makes one more empathetic. (My other nickname is "Snowtex"...)

phantom
25th April 2006, 15:28
Thats a bummer beemer ( sorry ) it seems to happen that way. Sarah, my partner, left her comparatively highly paid sales job to run her own company a couple of days before I had my heart attack and my sick leave will have run out well before I am back at work, so things will be a bit tight for us for a while. Never mind there is bound to be a silver lining somewhere just a bit hard seeing it sometimes

Swoop
25th April 2006, 16:09
...sounds like I won't be enjoying a steak for a while!
This is the perfect excuse to go to a fancy restaraunt for some of the finest steaks - the ones that just melt in your mouth!

Beemer, I hope all goes well. We all go through those patches where everything seems to be going against us and mostly we take for granted those times where everything runs smoothly along.

Glad to hear you won the courtcase!!! Good on ya!

Hitcher
25th April 2006, 16:10
Beemer, what do you mean a bad year? You won $20 off me (which I must drop off some time soon). I'll have a look at your jaw while I'm there. I'm sure there is something I can do to help with my steady arm and Black and Decker that wouldn't cost as much as a qualified surgeon...

Swoop
25th April 2006, 16:12
<strike>anet</strike> <strike>annieat</strike> <strike>anti</strike>
OK Colapop, how did you do that???

I wanted to do a strikethrough some weeks ago:no:
:confused:

Colapop
25th April 2006, 16:14
Anytime I see that someone has done something 'special' or different I just quote them and it shows up.
In this case <strike>strike</strike>

ajturbo
25th April 2006, 16:33
baby food..= no chewing

OMG
25th April 2006, 17:12
Sorry your've had a shit of a year, its so annoying when you think you're gonna be able to put a bit extra away and then unexpected expenses gobble it up (and it seems to happen so often). One thing that I have learnt though is that it is through the bad times that you learn to really appreciate the good. Kia kaha

Beemer
25th April 2006, 22:46
Beemer, what do you mean a bad year? You won $20 off me (which I must drop off some time soon). I'll have a look at your jaw while I'm there. I'm sure there is something I can do to help with my steady arm and Black and Decker that wouldn't cost as much as a qualified surgeon...

Woo hoo, I was wondering when exactly you had become 'remounted' so to speak! So I was the winner, huh? See, my luck has changed for the better already! (Like taking candy from a baby though, I've heard how long ANZA take to fix bikes...)

You and Mrs H will have to come up for a meal soon - while I can still enjoy solid food that is!

Thanks for all the support - things can't be so bad if I have friends to cheer me up - and give me hell!<_<

Qkkid
26th April 2006, 10:45
sorry to hear hope all goes well for you if life was easy it would be boring aye:msn-wink:

Streetwise
26th April 2006, 17:16
If it makes you feel any better my year has been crap as well, The business is quiet and has been since new year, I was thinking of running off to aussie for a while to pick some fruit only to get a sore neck, I go off to the doc and get told i need a biopsy and an opperation to move a lump in my neck, I think bugger that holds thing up a little. Then i realise that im in New Zealand and our waiting times for public hospital is generally a long time. So i think bugger again, Now im in for sergery next week and will wait to hear the outcome. But on a positive not i do have a new set of mufflers so its not all bad.

Beemer
26th April 2006, 23:11
Hey Streetwise, we'll have to form the "2006 ain't our year" society! Hope your op goes well, I'm glad I still have medical insurance, at least I know June 14 is the day (unless the surgeon gets sick) and I don't have to panic that I'll get there and be sent home again.

But on the upside, I still have a loving husband (aww! :first: ) and two slobbering moggies - as well as a flock of sheep, including one (Flopsy, I know, it's a bunny's name...) who runs up to you bleating when she sees you, and two canoodling swans. Oh, and a bike. Mmn, the year may be shite, but my life isn't too bad at all - thanks guys!

Oh, and I bet I'll be able to drink wine when I get out of hospital so you could all come for a visit... :innocent:

Streetwise
27th April 2006, 15:26
Cheers should be sweet, just cant wait to get it over.

Scouse
27th April 2006, 17:54
2005 was a great year but so far 2006 is looking pretty crappy! It didn't start out so well, with me facing an expensive legal battle to protect my trading name (I won, but it still cost me over $5000), and it hasn't got much better. Our cat was attacked by the neighbours' cat, who then rang 111 and said I threatened to shoot said cat! (Our cat had to undergo surgery costing about $700.) Petrol goes up just when I get a four month contract working in Palmerston North, so I now spend close to $70 a week just to get to and from work. The battery in our car died at Easter, and then some mongrel scraped all along our right rear bumper when we went to the Rolling Stones concert in Wellington.

That was bad enough, but yesterday capped it all off - well, until the next drama anyway! When I went to the dentist for a check-up recently he referred me to an oral surgeon as he'd noticed a problem with my jaw - TMJ (temporal mandibular jaw) syndrome. I've had it before and it was corrected by wearing a mouth splint at nights. I visited the surgeon yesterday and the good news is I don't need the $700 splint. However, the bad news is I need a $2300 operation instead! Yes, the damage is more severe than last time so a splint wouldn't be of much use and I need a procedure called an arthroscopy. They make incisions in front of my ears and perform microsurgery on me to clean out the joints and ensure they are working properly. Oh yay, can't wait for June 14...Sorry to hear that