PDA

View Full Version : a GREAT Saturday

wkid_one
23rd March 2003, 19:07
First, we had to repair a ceased chain adjuster which required drilling out the bolt, using tap and die to reseat the thread and then bodging some bolts to make the whole thing work - pic attached

Then, after fixing this we went for a ride to Kaiaua, and some roadworks and a kilometre later I am repairing my rear tyres puncture (NOTE:  After Dan decided after 30 mins he better come back and look for me - his excuse, 'I knew you hadn't fallen off, I thought you'd both stopped to snog!', he also had the repair kit!!)

Pic attached to reply - note, someone managed to take a pic, but no-one could help me????  They were all to bloody busy laughing

wkid_one
23rd March 2003, 19:08
Here is why you need to ALWAYS carry a repair kit and pump/compressed air...

Slim
23rd March 2003, 22:45
Originally posted by wkid_one
Here is why you need to ALWAYS carry a repair kit and pump/compressed air...
Or be a member of the AA (preferably AA Plus) and carry a fully charged cell phone. :D

What sort of tyre repair kit do you carry, how easy is it to apply, and how far/at what speeds would you trust it?

I presume the rest of your day went all right? :)

wkid_one
24th March 2003, 19:56
I use the push/pull threader with the strings - work a treat - I rode out at about 200kph on them at times - nice with not a single issue - and this was two up!!!  This is actually similar to the process used by bike stores to fix punctures externally without ripping the rubber off the rim and fit an internal mushroom - and it is QUICK!!  So for all intents and purposes it will last the length of your tire

We used a handpump......but you can get compressed air cylinders - you need one for a front and two for a rear ($9 each), which will get you to the nearest servo for a fill up of tires.

The repair kit is $20-30 from any bike shop and the hand pump about $30-50 - it took us 20 mins to get the bike up and running again - NICE....

Cellphone is good - but there is always this annoying habit of getting in to trouble out of coverage.....BUGGA!

AA is good, but quite often they are not kitted out to fix bike tires effectively, and if you are in the middle of nowhere, can take AGES to get to you. A repair kit is the best and quickest idea!  I know my experience of feeding the local sandflies that the wait can sometimes be a bit tediouc

My advice - get one - it may not be you who uses it - but it is worth the 20 odd bucks!