PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky rear suspension - TL1000s

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 11:41
Ok.. I dont know much about bikes.. nor do I have any tools to 'play' around either...

but after my longish ride the other weekend, the bike has developed very squeaky suspension on the TL1000s... It doesn't feel any different on the normal commute ride to and from work (140-150ks) but hell its annoying me no end.

Whats the likely problem?

oh by the way.. my maintenance consists of.. cleaning the chain, washing the bike.. (yep.. I'm uselessly hopeless) I really need to be shown how to do the maintenance work with the limited amount of 'tools' I have available to me. any takers?

Cheers for any help that can be offered (and advise already given)

dss3
27th April 2006, 12:05
Check the red coiled "spring on a stick" on the right hand side of the bike, mine started squeaking from there too. Mine and Loosebruces ones eventually snapped/busted.

Racey Rider
27th April 2006, 12:16
You've WREAKED IT mate!

Knew you shouldn't have tried keeping up with me when I hit the Ton! :nya:

cowpoos
27th April 2006, 12:20
Check the red coiled "spring on a stick" on the right hand side of the bike, mine started squeaking from there too. Mine and Loosebruces ones eventually snapped/busted.
and yer...they a cunt to replace....fidly fuckers

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 12:41
You've WREAKED IT mate!

Knew you shouldn't have tried keeping up with me when I hit the Ton! :nya:

haha.. not likely.. was the weekend before when I did the 'big' easter cruise..

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 12:44

erm... would rather it not bust on me. :gob: What did it cost to replace 'em?

wendigo
27th April 2006, 13:03
Having just done a full rear suspension service on my TL over Easter, including servicing the non servicable rotary damper, I feel myself to be a Guru on these matters.

However, sorry cant help you....

Only kidding.

Check where the rotary damper mounts onto the frame. I get quite a bit of creaking from there. However once I loosen the two mounting bolts & retorque them, the creaking goes away for a couple of weeks - until the heat/cool action causes the mounting bolts to stretch/loosen of a little bit.

dss3
27th April 2006, 17:21
erm... would rather it not bust on me. :gob: What did it cost to replace 'em?

Umm, well, actually I havent paid for my replacement part yet. But should be able to pick them up pretty cheap as they are crap and lots of guys remove them. In saying that hopefully yours doesn't brake, and is just squeaky. I'd CRC mine and it would stop... for a couple of weeks. Mind you, I parked my bike outside in the rain and generally abused it and treated it like shit, so go figure!

Sensei
27th April 2006, 20:19
Strip it down & regrease with Waterproof Bellray Grease & then put back together . Call if ya need some help Andre .

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 20:43
Sensei.. I'd need more than 'help' =) I need someone that know's what they are doing and to tell me what to do.

If you are willing... let me know what I need and we'll sort a time etc (by the way I dont have any tools!) =(

Sensei
27th April 2006, 20:59
No worrys dude will pop out tomorrow to check it out & see what needs to be done to fix . What time ya finish work ?

Racey Rider
27th April 2006, 21:57
A Taranaki Spanner and Chips evening??? :doobey:
I was thinking about taking the rear shock out of my old 'punt' to grease up the links as well sometime.
Then there's the front brake to bleed on the racer.
The 'NOs' bottle to fit....

I have tools,,, but garge is a bit small.

DemonWolf
28th April 2006, 10:51
Get back into Waitara round 5:30ish... I can stop by your place if thats easier for you (or drop by saturday morning). I'm suppose to be at indoor soccer at 7:30.

Cheers =)

DemonWolf
28th April 2006, 10:53
Racey Rider.. not a bad idea.. but I dont have good garage space either! (or even lights in the garage!)

DemonWolf
30th April 2006, 13:28
Well with the help of Sensei, we did a overhaul of the good ol TL1000 (she just loves the attention!) - Actually I watched and fiddled and Sensei did all the real work!

Sensei dropped by, I was giving the TL1000 a wash.. after abit of chat a plan was formulated over a cup of tea (No coffee in the house, except the coffee machine which I dont know how to work!). I was to go into town and pick up the neccessary items, I was to give Sensei a call once I had got the stuff. So after he left, I got ready and headed into town, to meet up with Sensei (sweet!) who was enquiring about the stuff! picking up a oil filter and a 4L oil pack.. and some grease.

Back at Sensei's place, the first thing was to check where the leak from coming from.. lifting the petrol tank.. we found it (the top end sump! no there isn't one.. but it sure did look like it!) the airbox was oozing oil! It was tripping everywhere.. taking the lid off and air filter out (dripping).. and cleaning out the airbox.. I was very shocked and suprised at just how much oil and junk was in there.

Cleaned out the airbox.. with Sensei cleaning the air filter as much as possible. Dropped the oil (if ya could call it that.. it was black.. but it was running like water!) put in a new Oil Filter and dropped 3.3L of fresh oil in... checking the spark plugs, which looked good but were kinda showing there age.

Sensei then also correctly retentioned the chain (erm I had farked that up bigtime.. the axle bolt was erm.. shall we say very loose!). We also reset it the throttle timing? Dealer mode.

After something like 3 hours and a coffee, everything was set. We decided that new spark plugs and a new Air filter was instore. So I'm gonna have to decide on what kind of air filter I can afford

A very interesting experience, and I can see Maintenance is a good part of the riding experience as well (I need to get me some tools!). Alot of stuff learnt and hopefully I didn't burden Sensei too much. next time I'm out I'll have to drop off a pack of bourbon.

Once again, Cheers and thanx for the top quality effort Sensei, very appreciated.

nadroj
30th April 2006, 17:24
I don't mind helping someone to do their maintenance @ myplace (I have most tools & space). It works out better all around if you get shown how to do your own maintenance so you are able to do it yourself in the future. A basic set of tools is the best investment you can make. Pm me if required.

saul
30th April 2006, 18:46
Mate that was scary reading:gob:

Well done Sensei you have saved DW a lot of money and I bet the bike feels fantastic now.:sunny:

Cheers

crazyxr250rider
30th April 2006, 18:53
Dont road bikes have grease nipples??

DemonWolf
1st May 2006, 20:30
Mate that was scary reading:gob:

Well done Sensei you have saved DW a lot of money and I bet the bike feels fantastic now.:sunny:

Cheers

Yep he sure did... quite ashamed of myself actually (concerning the oil) I should have known better.

and the short ride I've been on.. its very good. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I go to work (hopefully another sunny day?) but yeah its feeling great.

wendigo
2nd May 2006, 20:21
Back at Sensei's place, the first thing was to check where the leak from coming from.. lifting the petrol tank.. we found it (the top end sump! no there isn't one.. but it sure did look like it!) the airbox was oozing oil!

Rumour has it that the oil level shouldn't be more than a third of the distance between the low and hi level indicator lines or the oil gets blown into the airbox. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Re: Air filter - nothing wrong with a K&N and doesn't have to be replaced every 20000(?) km like the origional paper element.

Sensei
2nd May 2006, 21:08
Manual says 3.3 litres with new filter so thats what it got , Suzuki should know they built it .Airfilter wasn't paper either woven fibre . K/N or Bmc would be the go recleanable & life time warranty . :yes:

DemonWolf
3rd May 2006, 15:21
Manual says 3.3 litres with new filter so thats what it got , Suzuki should know they built it .Airfilter wasn't paper either woven fibre . K/N or Bmc would be the go recleanable & life time warranty .

Cheers mate its running like a dream... :innocent: I'll have to get you that box of bourbon. :first:

Morepower
5th May 2006, 23:11
Rumour has it that the oil level shouldn't be more than a third of the distance between the low and hi level indicator lines or the oil gets blown into the airbox. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Re: Air filter - nothing wrong with a K&N and doesn't have to be replaced every 20000(?) km like the origional paper element.

I have heard that too , I fill to that mark and no more , best thing you can do for a tL is change the oil frequently like every 2500-3000kms ( do the filter every 2nd change).They run rich and so can put a fair amount of fuel in the oil watch for a rising oil level. Mine has got to 78000kms without even needing a valve adjustment ( last checked at 70,000kms) .so must be doing something right.
Also its important to do the spark plugs every 20000kms or so , mainly so that they dont coke up and become impossible to remove.

Also do not overtighten the chain, you need to have someone sit on the bike when you check the tension and then be aware that the chain tightens when you do up the axle bolt . A real pain but getting it right will pay big dividends in chain wear.

Lastly if you have not already check out www.tlplanet.com
Dave

wendigo
6th May 2006, 10:17
Thanks for that oil change tip. Didn't realise it should be as little as 3000 k. Have heard of the rising oil level as well, but fortunately don't seem to suffer from it.

Morepower
7th May 2006, 23:00
Thanks for that oil change tip. Didn't realise it should be as little as 3000 k. Have heard of the rising oil level as well, but fortunately don't seem to suffer from it.

If you dont have any problem with fuel in the oil you could go longer probably with no problems , I am just a bit over cautious.

Dave

BurnCycle
9th May 2006, 00:19
Good to hear you got it sorted. :cool:

tl_tub
9th May 2006, 07:33
Lastly if you have not already check out www.tlplanet.com (http://www.tlplanet.com)Dave

Now www.tlzone.net (http://www.tlzone.net) :)

This company is the closest ive found that supplies the bitubo. The last time I contacted them they were waiting for stock from the factory. http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/Mono_Shocks.htm
Sure, not cheep, but atleast it gets rid of the spring that will only wear out again.

Morepower
10th May 2006, 18:48
[QUOTE=brent_b]Now www.tlzone.net (http://www.tlzone.net) :)

QUOTE]

The TL Planet site is back up and seems well supported I am not sure what has happened , they both have thier supporters

Dave