PDA

View Full Version : Riding in fog ...

Whynot
27th April 2006, 15:08
Came across some fog on the way to work last week .... thick, wet, cold fog,
get a lot of the stuff out this way.
now of course i did what i regarded as the obvious thing to do, which was slow down and open my visor ... as i couldnt see a bloody thing with it down.

I was just wondering how everyone else deals with situations like this ... i guess very heavy rain and maybe snow/hail might come into it also ?

are there any other techniques that you can use to see better and/or make yourself seen better ?
:rockon:

Qkkid
27th April 2006, 15:12
Not a good thing to be riding in think about it this way if you cant see how do they see you good way to kill yourself i reckon

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 15:27
Slow down.. and I crack open the visor and wipe the front with a finger every so often.

I'll usually tap on the brakes every now and again as well if nobody else is around... brake light is easier to see in fog if it's lit up as opposed to just on normally.

SimJen
27th April 2006, 15:33
Get a good helmet with a nose guard to stop it fogging up much. Possibly leave the visor open a tad. I just keep on wiping with my glove. Usually I can ride okay in really dense fog, but as Custard said easy way not to be seen....
A neck protector type thingy is good too, stops your neck and chin freezing up on really cold mornings. :)

Riff Raff
27th April 2006, 16:34
Not a good idea to open the visor if you wear glasses like me - they'll fog up instantly. I slow down, and regularly wipe visor with my glove.

Smorg
27th April 2006, 16:36
Scream in a high pitched voice for 5 mins then raise visor and slow down

beyond
5th May 2006, 22:58
Open the visor just a crack to get a small amount of air ventilation to stop internal fogging.
Fog is like light rain. I use my glove finger to wipe across the visor evey few minutes. You have to, otherwise you will see very little.

If you are travelling over 100kmh, you turn your head to the side every few minutes, which blows any mist or rain off your visor.

Not much else you can do otherwise. In the dark, it's a real pain with glare, from the fog and from the mist that envelopes your visor.

Gremlin
5th May 2006, 23:04
All of the above, and don't turn on your brights, just leave them on normal (unless you have other options)

Switching on your brights will only cause them to bounce back at you in the fog.

Just slow down, more cautious etc.

Zapf
5th May 2006, 23:46
had to ride thru some pretty thick stuff last Sunday morning heading south out of Auckland... Just make sure I keep wiping my visor and assume cars can't see you at intersections and likes..

FROSTY
6th May 2006, 00:10
because you are riding the worlds best bike you turn OFF your headlight and turn the foglight on -then just keep riding.--ok SO YOU'RE NOT RIDING AN xj750 ?? well then lights on low beam and wipe visor with the back of your finger

smokeyging
6th May 2006, 07:36
Using your glove to wipe the moisture is fine, but what I have found is there’s usually grit on the glove and for me everytime I do this it scratches the visor. Riding into the sun on another day is a darned pain unless you lift the visor. If you wax the tank of your bike or wax the bonnet of a car, the water droplets run of easily. There will be a glass or plastic cleaner on the market that should do the same thing. hopefully there is a place on the bike were you can store a bottle of this. The old farts years ago cut a potato in half and used the juices of the cut end on the visor.

XTC
6th May 2006, 08:48
Keep your gloves clean then......:wait:

I use Laser anti fog. Shame you can't get it here anymore.

ajturbo
6th May 2006, 09:28
i remember few (quite a few) years ago.... going home one night.... 2 up top of wangamoa's.. fog getting thicker and thicker....... untill i couldn't even see the front mudguard..... lucky i knew the road....:innocent:

sunhuntin
7th May 2006, 21:20
rode through some mega thick fog coming back from paeroa....was between rotorua and taupo....couldnt see jack shit! was wetting everything...my tent and other gear, mirrors, forward controls and my face felt like it was raining [open faced lid] also discarded my sunnies due to being virtually blind.

all i could do was keep my eyes on the white line and keep on it. would flick from the line to forwards, mirrors and back. kept my light on low and kept a damn close eye on my mirrors. i mainly focused on keeping those wiped. was so thick i was crawling at a snails pace so id have time to react.
that fog was basically the whole ride....never seen anything like it before. must be the thermal up that way?