PDA

View Full Version : My Friends - Insurers

The Stranger
27th April 2006, 18:47
Ok being the irresponsible type I binned it back in early January.

After a bit of arguing I got the payout on the bike.
Now when it comes to gear I haven't been paid out.

They are wanting me to pay a second lot of excess as this is covered under my contents policy.

In a nut shell there is a clause saying I must pay an excess on each claim, however there is also a clause saying I pay one excess for each series of claims from one event.

Now I took the first clause to mean if I off 6 times I have to pay 6 lots of excess and I took the latter to mean if I say have to claim under multiple policies (with the same insurer) for a single event this would form a series and thus I should not be asked to pay 3 lots of excess.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
I parallel may be where you have a house fire and claim under house and contents, it may be the same for a burglary where an intruder has forced entry.

If so do you recall whether or not you paid 2 lots of excess?

onearmedbandit
27th April 2006, 18:58
Haven't myself but I know people who have had to do the same.

I'm not an insurance expert but I would possibly read the second clause as say if you replace multiple items from one event covered by a single policy you pay only one excess. This is unlike a lot of mechanical breakdown insurance (vehicle) policies where you pay an excess on each component replaced or repaired from a single event. Your gear is covered under a different policy, hence any agreement in your vehicle coverage would only apply to that policy.

Speedracer
6th May 2006, 19:09
I think they mean if you have to claim for say your gear you'll only pay 1 excess for boots gloves hat leathers etc, not one excess for the gloves, one for the boots...

I agree in principle with you but it's like 2 separate bits of insurance, bike and contents. I know I have a lower excess for contents so it makes sense that you get 2 charges. Otherwise I could argue why not give me the lower excess.

kevie
7th May 2006, 21:11
Being a long time motorcyclist, I have spoken several times to a few insurance companies about the possibility of having a policy catagory for motorcyclists that cover the bike AND the associated (safety) riding gear eg: jacket, trousers, gloves, boots, helmet.

They all have the same answer "that isnt possible and you need to have the 'extras' (riding gear) covered in your contents insurance ... (this is assuming that the person HAS contenets insurance) but I disagree .. why isnt it possible except for the fact they are just wanting you to take out 2 policys instead of one !!!!!

I recon any insurer that does make the above policy available will pick up a lot of business, not only for bikes but in cases like mine where I would change ALL my covers to that company, house, contents, car etc.
I know if they did I would change from Lumley to them .... unless theyre State insurance of course ... wont touch them ... been there ... got the scars to prove it lmao

Squeak the Rat
8th May 2006, 12:51
Being a long time motorcyclist, I have spoken several times to a few insurance companies about the possibility of having a policy catagory for motorcyclists that cover the bike AND the associated (safety) riding gear eg: jacket, trousers, gloves, boots, helmet.

They all have the same answer "that isnt possible and you need to have the 'extras' (riding gear) covered in your contents insurance ... (this is assuming that the person HAS contenets insurance) but I disagree .. why isnt it possible except for the fact they are just wanting you to take out 2 policys instead of one !!!!!

I recon any insurer that does make the above policy available will pick up a lot of business, not only for bikes but in cases like mine where I would change ALL my covers to that company, house, contents, car etc.
I know if they did I would change from Lumley to them .... unless theyre State insurance of course ... wont touch them ... been there ... got the scars to prove it lmao
I recently got some insurance through John Baker who do offer cover of riding gear. They seem like goods sorts and I've had two personal recommendations.
http://www.jbinsurance.co.nz

kevie
9th May 2006, 10:23
I recently got some insurance through John Baker who do offer cover of riding gear. They seem like goods sorts and I've had two personal recommendations.
http://www.jbinsurance.co.nz

Cool :) good to hear some of the insurance companies may be starting to listen to bikers insurance needs.

**runs off to check jb's website**

The Stranger
9th May 2006, 10:28
I notice one of the questions is

Have you or any intended riders ever been issued with any Speeding Tickets?

I wonder if anyone can factually answer no.

OMG
9th May 2006, 10:33
Just claimed with Medical Assurance and their policy is that if you crash, the bike and the riding gear is all covered under 1 claim (even though they are under separate policies), so just one excess. But it gets better - since it was my first claim, I don't have to pay any excess! Unfortuately only those in the medical profession can join Medical assurance.

ManDownUnder
9th May 2006, 10:43
I notice one of the questions is

Have you or any intended riders ever been issued with any Speeding Tickets?

I wonder if anyone can factually answer no.

It's as close as they can get to a lie detector made of paper.

Cibby Chick is in Insurance, she may be able to help - dunno who else is. As a thought, it might the right time to start talking to other insurers, complaining about your current situation in the hope they say "oh WE don't do that".

It'll give you a fall back plan, and hopefully some leverage with the current mob when you threaten to take your business away (that'd be house, vehicale AND contents policies... make it expensive/valuable)

Good luck chap
MDU

edit - do you also lose 2 no claims bonuses?

The Stranger
9th May 2006, 11:01
No way I would deal with NZI ever again.

It is not just this incident. I can accept that I may be wrong in this case, however 2 of their call centre staff got it just as wrong as me too, so at least they could train their bloody staff.

Every single communication has been a screw up. Initially they told me I had no insurance, they had no record. Luckily I had accepted the quote on my mobile and could prove I had made the call. Even then it took an age and lots of hoops to get them to accept that.

Letters posted never arrived. Faxes I sent (and have confirmations for) never made it to my file.

They advised me they would stop the direct debit after I got the payout on the blackbird, so silly me doesn't stop the authority at the bank. 2 more payments come out, so I stop the authority and call them requesting a refund. So what happens the refund people whom were to get back to me never did. Instead I get a shitty letter a while later about my payments being dishonoured. Naturally they got a nice polite note scrawled on their default notice sent back to them. Just the other day I got the refund.

The call centre model is fine when it works, but theirs is really screwed up bad.

The_Dover
9th May 2006, 11:12
I had a similar problem with NZI and there inability to cancel AP's a few years ago.

They were a fuckin pain in the arse to deal with too.

Cibby
9th May 2006, 12:22
1. One excess only applies if it is a house/contents claim. Occasionally nice insurance companies will do motorvehicles/contents claims but usually unlikely. They dont have to do it, as each policy is seperate.

2. Star Insurance offer gear cover up to $2,500 for about $126 per year (dont quote me on that) could be worth it.

3. If you were insured through a broker you wouldnt have a lot of these issues as the broker would deal with everything for you. NZI is a usually a brilliant company to deal with. :) let me know if i can help at all :)