PDA

View Full Version : Busted! How do you contest it?

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 10:50
Hi all,

got nabbed the other day and have decided to contest the fine so am looking for advice on the correct way to do this. Situation was as follows:

Travelling down sh-1 at about 1am, and get pulled over. Officer asks how fast I was going, state that I dont know as I am tired and not paying much attention, reckoned probably about 65k in the 50 zone. Gets worked up and goes back to his car, takes my licence details etc, then calls me back to his car.
Takes the rest of my details down, then says I am lucky he doesnt have a radar (he didnt) and issues me a ticket for 65ks, and also says he had to do 140km/hrs to catch up with me, tells me to be carefull and then buggers off.

My first mistake was to admit the 65km bit I know, but on reflection I am pretty sure I actually made it to the 70km zone just out of town when I was doing this. As he doesnt have any proof in the form of a radar reading (only the statement that he was doing 140 to catch me), I reckon I have a good chance of contesting this.

Can anyone point out the proper way to do this and/or advice on how to proceed. Would be especially interested to hear from resident cops on site and maybe someone who has been through this before (madboy?)
Should I simply state my case in a letter as above, or just say ''I want to contest this in a court of law'' and wait for a hearing date so I can explian it to a judge?

cowpoos
29th April 2006, 11:00
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....should of keep ya mouth shut...lol

how many demerits left now?

Meanie
29th April 2006, 11:01
Dam shame you said about 65 but hey it was early morning
How fast he had to go is irrelevent, he could have been miles behind you or had to turn around and how quick did he want to catch you
I,m sure you will get off youll just need to find the right way to go about it, an easy way to explain your side is to write it down then you will be sure you wont miss anything relevant
I got off a similar ticket years ago by writing a letter
Good luck and keep us posted

MSTRS
29th April 2006, 11:12
Hung by the tongue, I'd say. You might get off but chances are you won't and it'll cost you more than the face value on the TIN

XTC
29th April 2006, 11:17
Fight it fight it!

Lou Girardin
29th April 2006, 11:22
NEVER ADMIT TO SPEEDING.
It's used in evidence.

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 11:33
Well I never actually admitted to it, it was just a guess. As for clogging up the courts it will be my pleasure to waste their time, as I am sure I am in the right. Isnt that what courts are for, so that everyone can get a fair say? Otherwise whats the point of having them?

Sparky Bills
29th April 2006, 11:36
YOUR A BLOODY HOLIGAN!!!!
SHAME ON YOU!!!:innocent:

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 11:40
You should be great at giving advice here man-didnt you just get yours back for being a hooligan?

bobsmith
29th April 2006, 11:40
Contest it, you can use, early in the morning, it was just a guess not a statement, and the fucking pig intimidating you as excuses. Especially the only "evidence" is your guess - NOT A STATEMENT - saying that you MIGHT have been doing 65 in 50, which now you think you weren't.

Don't let this get by, it may affect your future insurance, etc... Oh and try writing a letter to them before taking it to court. - court is expensive if you lose...

nadroj
29th April 2006, 11:42
Well I never actually admitted to it, it was just a guess. As for clogging up the courts it will be my pleasure to waste their time, as I am sure I am in the right. Isnt that what courts are for, so that everyone can get a fair say? Otherwise whats the point of having them?
You guessed - You guessed wrong - You loose!
Once you admit doing wrong it's all they need to prosecute - your admission is noted. You also admitted not knowing what speed you were doing - they could have booked you for more. When you get pulled up THINK before you open your mouth - It's much less expensive. Sorry but that's how it is.

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 11:46
So if i had said 120 would he have booked me for that? I think I have a good case, so what would the expenses involved be if the letter doesnt work?

nadroj
29th April 2006, 11:57
So if i had said 120 would he have booked me for that? I think I have a good case, so what would the expenses involved be if the letter doesnt work? Yes he could have & probably would have.
Costs = lawyer + court costs & depending on your attitude in court as to how much the judge decides to punish you.

Fatjim
29th April 2006, 11:59
My only advice is leaving the letter to the last possible moment.

I don't know if cunstables are consulted when letters arrive arguing a ticket, but if you leave it the maximum (2 months?) he won't remember the details in anywhere the same detail as you do. I guess it's more likely to be dropped, especially for a 15k over.

Sparky Bills
29th April 2006, 12:23
You should be great at giving advice here man-didnt you just get yours back for being a hooligan?

Doing 103kms on a learners licence is hardly being a hooligan.
But thats another story.

I agree with Jim. Dont let it go to court though. You gotta contest while its still with the cops.
wait about a month and then send a letter in. That way you still have a month to sort it.
Let me know if you need any help.

The Stranger
29th April 2006, 12:35
NEVER ADMIT TO SPEEDING.
It's used in evidence.

Yeah, screw being honest.

Ixion
29th April 2006, 12:41
Your best hope is if you can show that you WERE actually in the 70kph zone when stopped. Then you can argue that the 65kph you mentioned was what you believed you were doing THEN, "I accelerated when I entered the 70kph zone, to what I believed to be 65kph. When the officer asked my speed I mentioned the speed I had been going at when he stopped me. I did not realise he meant my speed earlier, which I am sure would not have been more than 50kph"

Go find that 70kph sign.

(HINT: Take a spade and some ready mix concrete with you)

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 12:53
Good advice guys, il write the letter and the circumstances out now and then do what jim and sparky say and leave it for a while before I send it.
As for going to court, I cant see what I have to lose. I was under the impression that they cant fine you for more than the original infringement?

Velox
29th April 2006, 12:53
Argh crap. Is it worth bothering though? Actually I guess it is if it doesn't cost ya anything. The stinkest thing is that if you get only 4 of those type of minor fines, that's your licence gone! :angry: Ah, better not get started actually...

bumsex
29th April 2006, 12:59
I've managed to get away with a few tickets. All you do is write it very professionally. ie. correct formatting and the use of very big and flash words. I would often do three to four drafts of a letter before sending it away. Make sure to type it out (you should not submit it handwritten).
Think back to the time and cicumstances of the ticket and think of some bullshit. For example: I got off an "overtaking on the left" ticket by writing in and saying that the car I overtook was indicating a right turn into an upcoming street (absolute bullshit but saved me $150)
Fuck those pigs all they want is your fucking money. Good luck with the letter.

Chris

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 13:22
Argh crap. Is it worth bothering though? Actually I guess it is if it doesn't cost ya anything. The stinkest thing is that if you get only 4 of those type of minor fines, that's your licence gone! :angry: Ah, better not get started actually...

Worth bothering? Are you kidding? After all the flak we've taken from these guys il contest it on moral grounds alone. Cmon V, for once I was actually in the right and got done for it. Not fair and worth fighting for :angry:

Velox
29th April 2006, 14:08
Worth bothering? Are you kidding? After all the flak we've taken from these guys il contest it on moral grounds alone. Cmon V, for once I was actually in the right and got done for it. Not fair and worth fighting for :angry:
If you are totally sure that it was when you were in the 70k zone.

Aitch
29th April 2006, 14:25
Have you noticed that you've been given several different versions of the law, your rights, and your chances of getting off?
If you want good advice pay for a lawyer. Then pay the court costs when the beak sentences you.
Or take the cheaper option and pay the fine!

Madness
29th April 2006, 14:31
I'd be sure to mention in the letter that you are so sure of your innocence in this case that should the infringement bureau not sort this matter to your satisfaction, a court hearing may be requested.

I think most judges would be horrified to hear that a police officer sped at 140km/hr through a built-up area to aprehend somebody that could possibly be speeding by as much as 15km/hr, particularly so considering they had no calibrated method of gauging your speed in the first instance.

Me, I never speed...:innocent:

VasalineWarrior
29th April 2006, 17:36
If you are totally sure that it was when you were in the 70k zone.

Would I lie? :wait:

Max-totally right, thats why if I take it all the way this guy is going to look a right turkey. As for a lawyer, i cant aford a tank of gas at the moment so I doubt thats going to be an option

Da Bird
29th April 2006, 18:36
Personally, it really pisses me off when cops write out speeding tickets when they guess the speed, then ask the driver to confirm it. (Makes it harder for the rest of us doing it properly!)
If he didn't have a radar, he should have done a pursuit check at the least. That means travelling behind you at a constant speed for a while (at least a couple of hundred metres).
As long as you didn't sign a notebook saying you were doing 65, you will probably be able to get off it.

Write to the PIB asking how the officer is going to prove your speed. Would be interesting to see what he put on his copy of the ticket and you could ask for a copy of that and the patrol vehicle's speedo calibration certificate if he is saying he did a pursuit check.

You don't need a lawyer to sort this out. Also, for your info, the officer who gave you the ticket will likely be sent a copy of your letter by the PIB to respond to in order to work out whether to proceed with your ticket or not. (In other words, don't bullshit about anything or that will work against you).

I would not normally give advice on how to get off a ticket but you gotta play by the rules....

BC.

cowpoos
29th April 2006, 20:19
Personally, it really pisses me off when cops write out speeding tickets when they guess the speed, then ask the driver to confirm it. (Makes it harder for the rest of us doing it properly!)
If he didn't have a radar, he should have done a pursuit check at the least. That means travelling behind you at a constant speed for a while (at least a couple of hundred metres).
As long as you didn't sign a notebook saying you were doing 65, you will probably be able to get off it.

Write to the PIB asking how the officer is going to prove your speed. Would be interesting to see what he put on his copy of the ticket and you could ask for a copy of that and the patrol vehicle's speedo calibration certificate if he is saying he did a pursuit check.

You don't need a lawyer to sort this out. Also, for your info, the officer who gave you the ticket will likely be sent a copy of your letter by the PIB to respond to in order to work out whether to proceed with your ticket or not. (In other words, don't bullshit about anything or that will work against you).

I would not normally give advice on how to get off a ticket but you gotta play by the rules....

BC.
ummmm.....very noble of ya......good shit man!!

Jase W
29th April 2006, 20:37
Write the letter, but I wouldnt go any further than that - could backfire on ya.

Skyryder
30th April 2006, 07:04
You don't need a lawyer to sort this out. Also, for your info, the officer who gave you the ticket will likely be sent a copy of your letter by the PIB to respond to in order to work out whether to proceed with your ticket or not.

Who or what is the PIB?

From the above I understand that it is the 'issuing officer' who 'decides' whether to proceed with the infringment notice.

Skyryder

adifferentname
30th April 2006, 07:57
next time you see a cop bust a cap into him

no ticket.........

Racey Rider
30th April 2006, 08:37
Would be interesting to see what he put on his copy of the ticket and you could ask for a copy of that and the patrol vehicle's speedo calibration certificate...

Where can one find a copy of the Cops 'Rules for engagement' for speeding tickets?
(ie. must be straight on to approching vehicle, no big trees/building in the way of radar, only one 'customer/victim' in the radar beam at the time.)

And is it the 'Radar calibration certificate' that you ask for, for radar stopped tickets? How often does the Radar calibration certificate have to be obtained?

Racey

spudchucka
30th April 2006, 09:25
Where can one find a copy of the Cops 'Rules for engagement' for speeding tickets?
http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/

Scroll down to "Other Reports". The Speed Enforcement Guide is located third item down on the list.

spudchucka
30th April 2006, 09:26
What a hardcore gangsta.

spudchucka
30th April 2006, 09:27
Who or what is the PIB?
Police Infringement Bureau.

Patrick
30th April 2006, 09:58
What a hardcore gangsta.

What a hardcore fuckwit....

grego
30th April 2006, 10:00
cause if you write a letter, stating why they should be nice to you, the miserable sods will use it by turning your facts around and use it against you.
EG. you say : There was virtually no traffic. this will read: "there was medium denstity traffic"

You say: no other members of the public where endangered ! itwill say: The lady with the pram had to take advisive action, virtually "jump" back to save the baby,s life.

You get the drift. Wait for your infringement to come in the mail. The only reply you give is that you will contest it in court.
Prepare to cross examine the traffic cop. This time YOU will be fresh and prepared and he will be on the back foot.
Never accuse the cop of lying. He is an sworn officer of the law and the judge has to belive him. Bombard him with all sorts of trivia question like why did you have to drive 140km to catch up when you claim I was only going fractionally over the limit etc.

Where were you when you actually saw me first ??
What made you think I was speeding considering you had no radar. Try to gety him into a position where he has to admit that that you might be right and he could be mistaken, once you got him there the judge has to belive you that if the cop cannot remember exactly he might also be wrong.
The cop does not have a strong case and our speedos are very inaccurate to.

Cops hate having to go to court and be crossexamined cause they know that you have heeeeaaps of time preparing yourself because you got only one case-yours, after weeks they cannot remember whether you were actually coming or going.

The crux of the matter though is: Do you think you could have fun doing it ???
If not, just pay up !!!!!

Patrick
30th April 2006, 10:03
Who or what is the PIB?

From the above I understand that it is the 'issuing officer' who 'decides' whether to proceed with the infringment notice.

Skyryder

Issuing officer writes out the ticket and his notes on the back of his copy. Request these notes when you write in to the PIB (Police Infringement Bureau - the address at the bottom of the ticket...) with your letter of protest/explanation... under these circumstances as explained, the PIB would most likely cancel the infringement and not continue with it (the decision to enforce it is with the PIB.)

Not sure why wait for a month though... show enthusiasm to sort the matter now... looks better too if you're that peeved...haven't taken the time to think up of "lame excuses..."

WINJA
30th April 2006, 10:15
its good to write a letter , even if you dont get off it will start to ring some bells if the same pig keeps writing tickets like this.
id like to see a system in nz where cops that write tickets like this and it goes to court and it was a bullshit ticket and you get off the pig has his wages docked $50 a week untill the court costs are paid , thatll fucken teach them , obviously the good cops out there have nothing to worry about cause our excellent justice system will always get it right

WINJA
30th April 2006, 10:19

no ticket.........
THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST ADVICE YET, OR GET SOMETHING FASTER THAN A TL SO YOU CAN DO A RUNNER

SixPackBack
30th April 2006, 10:32

cowpoos
30th April 2006, 10:34
THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST ADVICE YET, OR GET SOMETHING FASTER THAN A TL SO YOU CAN DO A RUNNER
like a street magic you poofter!!!

Patrick
30th April 2006, 11:47
cause if you write a letter, stating why they should be nice to you, the miserable sods will use it by turning your facts around and use it against you.
EG. you say : There was virtually no traffic. this will read: "there was medium denstity traffic"

You say: no other members of the public where endangered ! itwill say: The lady with the pram had to take advisive action, virtually "jump" back to save the baby,s life.

You get the drift. Wait for your infringement to come in the mail. The only reply you give is that you will contest it in court.
Prepare to cross examine the traffic cop. This time YOU will be fresh and prepared and he will be on the back foot.
Never accuse the cop of lying. He is an sworn officer of the law and the judge has to belive him. Bombard him with all sorts of trivia question like why did you have to drive 140km to catch up when you claim I was only going fractionally over the limit etc.

Where were you when you actually saw me first ??
What made you think I was speeding considering you had no radar. Try to gety him into a position where he has to admit that that you might be right and he could be mistaken, once you got him there the judge has to belive you that if the cop cannot remember exactly he might also be wrong.
The cop does not have a strong case and our speedos are very inaccurate to.

Cops hate having to go to court and be crossexamined cause they know that you have heeeeaaps of time preparing yourself because you got only one case-yours, after weeks they cannot remember whether you were actually coming or going.

As someone said just before, don't trust bush lawyers...:zzzz: here is a classic case...

Simply write in as stated. Won't necessasrily get to court, no more time wasted. If it gets to court, you will get your say and be able to ask Questions as Gregor says, but why wait for it to go that far?

"Judge has to believe him?" Ppffft....

As for cops hating going to court... Yeah right...., gives em a day off writing out crap tickets! Gotta Love that...

sAsLEX
30th April 2006, 11:51
Yes he could have & probably would have.
Costs = lawyer + court costs & depending on your attitude in court as to how much the judge decides to punish you.

I was doing well over 300kmhr officer.

Trundles up to court with top speed figure for bike.

terbang
30th April 2006, 11:58
Also in your letter to the PIB (?) point out that this speed guessing prick admitted to doing 140 Kays (thats more than double of what he reckons you are doing and 90 kays over the limit) in a 50 kay area to catch you up. Who was the real Speeder/Hazard here..?

Patrick
30th April 2006, 12:00
Also in your letter to the PIB (?) point out that this speed guessing prick admitted to doing 140 Kays (thats more than double of what he reckons you are doing and 90 kays over the limit) in a 50 kay area to catch you up. Who was the real Speeder/Hazard here..?

That alone is probably enough to toss it...

sAsLEX
30th April 2006, 12:03

Did he inform comms of his over double the speed limit pursuit? Obviously a pursuit if he had to nearly triple the speed limit.

scumdog
30th April 2006, 12:04

Pfft! Yeah right, like a day in Court is SO much harder than doing real work!

And speaking of which, why has nobody ever before said "Why are you taking a hopeless case to Court when the cops time could be better spent fighting real crime"??????????:wait:

sAsLEX
30th April 2006, 12:10
And speaking of which, why has nobody ever before said "Why are you taking a hopeless case to Court when the cops time could be better spent fighting real crime"??????????:wait:

As its probally a trafffic cop not a real cop, they dont solve real crimes anyways :gob:

And he is only writing a letter at present.

Patrick
30th April 2006, 12:16
Did he inform comms of his over double the speed limit pursuit? Obviously a pursuit if he had to nearly triple the speed limit.

Wasn't a pursuit. Obviously catching up, but not a pursuit as he wasn't actively doing anything to avoid being caught...

Gotta love your avitar though....NICE!

VasalineWarrior
30th April 2006, 19:17
Bikey cop-thanks for the advice! I will write the letter (nice and courteous) after the infringement comes in the mail and explain the situation, I hope this will be enough to squash the matter and prevent the need to go to court, but I guess if they throw it out and want to burn me then I am willing to stand in front of judge for this and plead my case.
Will let you all know how it gets on, id say it will be a few months at least in the process :scooter:

VasalineWarrior
30th April 2006, 19:21
[QUOTE=Patrick]Wasn't a pursuit. Obviously catching up, but not a pursuit as he wasn't actively doing anything to avoid being caught...

Oh and for the record guys, I was in a 92' diesel hilux ute that hasnt, wont and never will see the other side of 120km/hr. The more I think about it the more his 140km/hr hacks me off!

SwanTiger
30th April 2006, 19:45
Don't contest it, just learn your lesson - keep your mouth shut when they ask how fast! that's like asking a murderer if they killed their victim and them admitting to it.

Jase W
30th April 2006, 19:46
Oh and for the record guys, I was in a 92' diesel hilux ute that hasnt, wont and never will see the other side of 120km/hr...

Ooh i dunno, ive had mums 'well used' rural post hilux up to some fair speeds - drifts well in the wet too. Good ol diesels. Good ol Hilux's. Bugger.

beyond
30th April 2006, 20:08

Exactly. We all know who the real crim is, don't we? :)

madboy
30th April 2006, 20:15
You wanted my advice? Well I was set to give you a relentless ribbing until I realised you were in a ute. Guess that kinda cancels out what I woulda done ;)

So assuming I did get busted for 65 in a 50, I'd pay it. Small price to pay for the countless times you, me and probably every other sportsbike rider on this site should have been busted and didn't.

I might, maybe if I was really pissed at the cops attitude, write a letter. Might. I definitely wouldn't take it to court. For one, you seem to be making an assumption here that the cop would fess up to 140k in court - that's a big assumption for you to make. Just cos he said it doesn't mean to say he'll "remember" saying that. Chances of success arguing he said she said is pretty slim in my view. If you look at the economics of it - I don't know what you earn, but half a days annual leave for me would make it uneconomic to fight the ticket. And that's before we even get to the court costs of $130 or so if you don't win. And a lawyer? At least $200/hr for any one worth having. Barrister's we use at work are $400+.

If you want to fight it, you can't go too far wrong with the advice the cops have posted. My advice, suck it up and pay it. Then chop the tray outta the hilux and stick airbags in it... at least you can shower the next cop with sparks while you tootle down the road.

Lou Girardin
1st May 2006, 08:27
Yeah, screw being honest.

Was the cop honest?
Besides, I didn't tell him to lie, just don't do their job for them.
I lost count of the number of idiots who talk themselves into tickets.

Smorg
1st May 2006, 08:54
Cop: How fast were you going?

You: How fast did you clock me?

Never admit to anything, but you already have so I'd follow up BC's advice.\

Failing that bust a cap in his ass

MWVT
11th May 2006, 16:38
Never ever, ever, ever, say you were speeding. The difficult thing about this is that in an ideal world you would also not admit to not knowing how fast you were going. Coz then you look 'careless'.

Phrases i find helpful:
I'm pretty sure i was riding legally.

Not that fast

I wasn't watching it, I was watching the road, which was lucky when you pulled out in front of me. (not recommended, but fun)

I wouldn't like to guess based on a bike speedo, those dodgy guys at VTNZ barely look at my bike when they give it a warrant, and i'm not a speedo expert.

Instead of arguing why dont we look at your radar?? If answer lets you know he doesn't have one, insist you were doing exactly the speed limit.
If answer says he does have one, ask if it's calibrated.

VasalineWarrior
27th May 2006, 23:32
Ok, heres an update guys-been almost a month and so far and, touch wood as i write this, no ticket has arrived in the mail, so it looks as if this particular cop has decided to show mercy on my sorry ass and let me off.
As such, I have decided in my eternal wisdom of 21 accumulated years that some cops are decent and take back any previous derrogoratory coments/thoughts that I may have expressed towards the police in the past, provided a ticket doesnt show up on my doorstep the next morning.

kevie
28th May 2006, 08:08
My only advice is leaving the letter to the last possible moment.

I don't know if cunstables are consulted when letters arrive arguing a ticket, but if you leave it the maximum (2 months?) he won't remember the details in anywhere the same detail as you do. I guess it's more likely to be dropped, especially for a 15k over.

NNNOOOOOOO write in ASAP .... I left mine a bit late and they had already sent it to court without advising me of the hearing..... had the hearing then told me later it had been to court and found me guilty cos I hadnt appeared or presented a defence (heard of our court system ?? its spelt K A N G AR O O )

my $80 fine grew to $130.... they said I had a right to appeal but if I do ... and the rehearing is over a month later then I would be up for a further $100 for failing to pay the fine in allotted time....... thats all crap ... what happened to our fair legal system (it left when the "lets make money" system was introduced)

So my advice .... write in immediately, I think you have 28 days for them to recieve the appeal (says on the TIN)... so get into it..... sounds like you have a case... you dont know what you were doing, he obviously didnt know either; you were tired and vulnerable to his 'intimidation', him doing 140km/h has no bearing on your estimated speed, takes time to slow down and turn (aspecially if it hased to be a 3 point turn) and the speed would determine how fast he caught you up therefore his 'catching up speed has no real indicator ofyour speed (unless you were doing close to his 140KM/H).
Its dam near impossible at night to judge the actual speed of a vehicle comming toward you.

1/ note down all the facts (no matterhow seemingly unimportant)
2/ assess if they are incriminating (if so cross them out)
sort out relevance of these facts and then write the letter.

get friends you know are good to proof read the letter and make adjustments as required.

If the letter looks like you have an ounce of nouse it helps you look like you know what youre talking about.

but strike ASAP and no harm in trying ..... they can only say "nah pay up"

Mums motto always was "If youre silly enuf to try it .... its silly enough to work "

inlinefour
28th May 2006, 11:23
Ok, heres an update guys-been almost a month and so far and, touch wood as i write this, no ticket has arrived in the mail, so it looks as if this particular cop has decided to show mercy on my sorry ass and let me off.
As such, I have decided in my eternal wisdom of 21 accumulated years that some cops are decent and take back any previous derrogoratory coments/thoughts that I may have expressed towards the police in the past, provided a ticket doesnt show up on my doorstep the next morning.

if you have not recieved a ticket by now I would be doubtfull if you will. I had a situation awhile ago when I thought I was going to get a rather large ticket. I expected it that much that I sold a vintage kawasaki, I never recieved a ticket (thank goodness) and the hard lession was no longer having the kawasaki...:bye:

Beemer
1st June 2006, 09:51
Travelling down sh-1 at about 1am, and get pulled over. Officer asks how fast I was going, state that I dont know as I am tired and not paying much attention, reckoned probably about 65k in the 50 zone.

I'm sorry? You admitted you had no idea what speed you were going, that you were tired, and you weren't paying attention? Even if you weren't speeding you deserved the prize for dick of the week - you are meant to be alert at all times when on the road!

Riding at 1am with no idea of your speed and admitting you were tired is asking for it and I don't think you have a shit's show of getting off! Nor should you!

Lou Girardin
1st June 2006, 10:00
Maybe he was concentrating on the road and not his speedo. I know's that is not the LTNZ way of doing things, but it is accepted by the rest of the world.

Ixion
1st June 2006, 10:08
At night I am usually looking for road hazards not looking constantly at the speedo. I would not be able to state my speed with certainty within less than 10 - 15kph. So 65 ish in a 50 would be quite possible. Like almost everyone, I rely on "travelling with the traffic flow". If I'm not going noticeably faster than the traffic around me, I'm probably about right. If not, at least I should have company!

And folk do have to get home, even (especially!) when they are tired. If I am tired, such alertness as I have will be prioritised on observeing traffic and the road. Staring at the speedometer will come well down the priority list.

sAsLEX
1st June 2006, 10:16
At night I am usually looking for road hazards not looking constantly at the speedo.

When I lanesplit I dont look at the speedo from Fanshaw st to my offramp on the shore, too dangerous.

PLus the bulb behind my speedo has gone so its hard to see at night as it is.