PDA

View Full Version : Tradme bike selling hates

scracha
29th April 2006, 18:32
How NOT to sell your bike on Trademe (incidently, I think as an auction site it's $hite).

1) Take a blurry photo of your bike with your webcam at 0.1 megapixels
2) Steal a photo off an other internet site.
3) Put in almost no description.
4) Don't tell anybody the mileage, service history, how long you've owned it, why it's for sale or when the WOF expires.
5) Forget to mention the other side (you know, the side of the bike you didn't capture on the webcam) of the bike has been down the road last week.
6) Don't mention the rear tyre is so square the bike stands up without the side-stand (Come to mention it, the bike's an ex-racer so there is no side stand).
7) Start the bidding at $800 even though your reserve is $6000.

and my special pet hates.:angry:
8) When a potential bidder asks you a question like, "how many Km has it done?", completely ignore the question and put in an answer like "yeah bro, the engine runs sweet as"
9) Start the bidding at $800 even though your reserve is $6000.
10) Add in keywords that are totally unrelated to your auction. For example, when selling an exhaust for a 93 ZXR400, be sure to cut n' paste the following:
**** Keywords: SUZUKI GSX-R 600 750 1000 GSXR 1300 HAYABUSA TL1000S TL1000R SV 650 1000 BANDIT BURGMAN SKYWAVE YAMAHA T-MAX YZF R1 R6 FZ FZR XJ FJR TZR KAWASAKI ZX6R ZX10R ZX12R ZXR ZX HONDA CBR 600 1000 FIREBLADE VTR1000 FIRESTORM HORNET BLACKBIRD CB VFR FORZA****

Start the bidding at $800 even though your reserve is $6000.

Yeh.. this is the worst I reckon.

Can't see the point of starting bidding below the reserve.

Whenever I sell anything on trademe I always start the bidding at the lowest I'm prepared to take for it... no fucking around.

T.I.E
29th April 2006, 18:39

Whenever I sell anything on trademe I always start the bidding at the lowest I'm prepared to take for it... no fucking around.

oh yeah i so hate that. what is the point?

Bonez
29th April 2006, 18:48
Spot what's wrong with this- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-55150290.htm

erik
29th April 2006, 18:52
oh yeah i so hate that. what is the point?
What's wrong with it?

Set the start low and your reserve where you want it, then people can bid as much as they want, if it doesn't meet your reserve then you at least get an idea of what people are willing to pay.

James Deuce
29th April 2006, 18:55
How about placing a winning bid at the buy now price and then withdrawing because your Mum won't lend you the money?

Happened to me twice with two different bikes at exactly the same time.

Ixion
29th April 2006, 19:06
What's wrong with it?

Set the start low and your reserve where you want it, then people can bid as much as they want, if it doesn't meet your reserve then you at least get an idea of what people are willing to pay.

This is a valid point in some cases. Where an item is an unusual one, which the seller has no certain idea of what it will fetch. He hopes for , say, $2000, but is unsure if the market will deliver that. Perhaps it may only value his item at $1000 - or something in between. If he sets reserve of $1000, he may end up being forced to sell for less than he wishes (he may wish to keep it at that price). If he sets the reserve at $2000 he maybe gets no bids, and has no idea where to move to.

If he starts at $1000 and sets a reserve of $2000, he may perhaps end up with bids of $1700, and may then decide if he wishes to keep it , to accept the slightly lower price (by a fixed price offer, or relisting). But the ones where the discrepancy is absurd are annoying.

I wish that Trademe allowed one to enter a bid under start price - indicating "I am interested, but think your figure too high - if it does not sell at your price perhaps we can negoitiate"

The "show only one side" does annoy me. Especially when there are three photos of one side, showing much the same thing - and none of the other.

It is also annoying when the seller does not specify the rego and wof status. And the ones who say "No WoF, but it will fly through". Uh huh, in that case why would you not get a WoF? Tis only $25 or so. Understand if it's a cheapo - "just want shut of it" deal. But usually it isn't.

paturoa
29th April 2006, 19:08
how about

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-54410162.htm

????

Ixion
29th April 2006, 19:10
Yours is different. It is a fixed price, and has a contact phone number. So any questions can be resolved simply.

gav
29th April 2006, 19:18
Re GS, good ad, but why not list it as an auction?

My personal pet peeve is auctions that met reserve and then get withdrawn before the auction ends! I see Trade Me will now charge extra for sellers who do this but bloody dishonest when this happens. Also sometimes you lose an auction and then you get it offered to you? So the highest bid has been withdrawn maybe?
Personally I will always start an auction lower than my reserve, this is generally how auctions operate, been to Turners? You do have the option to offer the item to bidders/watchers and can review your price accordingly.
One thing that annoys me is people who offer you the item higher than what there reserve was.
If your going to start your auction at the reserve price, do you advertise it as a no reserve auction?

Ixion
29th April 2006, 19:20
..My personal pet peeve is auctions that met reserve and then get withdrawn before the auction ends! I see Trade Me will now charge extra for sellers who do this but bloody dishonest when this happens.,,

I've had this happen several times. I consider it totally dishonest.

hXc
29th April 2006, 19:20
I hate people saying breaks!
Only one side in the photos.
No photos.
People who don't answer questions.

nudemetalz
29th April 2006, 19:25
Spot what's wrong with this- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-55150290.htm
ummm,....a K3 should be a 1972 model?
And the "exhaust" is hideous !!!

Gremlin
29th April 2006, 19:27
Also sometimes you lose an auction and then you get it offered to you? So the highest bid has been withdrawn maybe?
either withdrawn or the dick either doesn't want it, or decides he wants it before he pays. Either way, a time wasting wanker (who often fights to win the auction as well), and you hope by offering it a bit lower than the next highest bid that someone genuine will accept.

Another pet hate would be pictures that are not only small or blurred, but also not rotated to a normal angle... it ain't hard. Turning your head is a pain, and laptop screens especially don't give you the same quality.

Back Fire
29th April 2006, 19:46
10) Add in keywords that are totally unrelated to your auction. For example, when selling an exhaust for a 93 ZXR400, be sure to cut n' paste the following:
**** Keywords: SUZUKI GSX-R 600 750 1000 GSXR 1300 HAYABUSA TL1000S TL1000R SV 650 1000 BANDIT BURGMAN SKYWAVE YAMAHA T-MAX YZF R1 R6 FZ FZR XJ FJR TZR KAWASAKI ZX6R ZX10R ZX12R ZXR ZX HONDA CBR 600 1000 FIREBLADE VTR1000 FIRESTORM HORNET BLACKBIRD CB VFR FORZA****

OMG!! you have no idea how much that pisses me off.... it drives me crazy :brick:

Bonez
29th April 2006, 19:57
And the "exhaust" is hideous !!!Cut it off at the collector then adding a nice after market Dunstall replica sould tidy that up. Speedo and tachos are different colours, indicators appear to be late 70s Suzuki items
- http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS750.shtml , certainly not that era Honda. The usual head gasket leak as well looking at the middle rh pic.

DEATH_INC.
29th April 2006, 20:11
The farkin well under reserve starting thing....what a waste of bloody time, everyones. Not all, but why start at $500 when your reserve is $5000 (or sim), you're not even gonna consider a bid this low......you must have an idea what you will take for it.
and the keyword thing too....

XTC
29th April 2006, 23:10
If you are trying to sell your dirtbike do yourself a favour and wash the f^&%ing dirt off it first..... At least then people might think you actually maintained it!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-54247470.htm

Looks far from mint like that.....

Wired1
29th April 2006, 23:58
Yes I hate the dickheads who list a starting price way lower than the reserve - actually I hate auctions that don't start at the reserve - I just won't bother bidding until it exceeds the reserve. And yes I hate the tossers who don't state wether or not it has a WOF and reg - it makes a shit load of difference to the price even if they tell you it will "fly through" yeah right.

My pet peeve is the wankers who just don't get what an auction is all about and want to test drive the bike/car after they have won the auction. This has happened to me twice and both times I have let them anyway knowing that the vehicles were fine - but if you bid and win then you have bought it! simple as that. If you want to do a compression check then do it before the end of the auction not once you have fucken won it.

The other thing that pisses me off as an over forty year old is the dorks who can't spell or who use text language (txt lngwg for the grammatically challenged prats out there). They should have someone on the Tradme staff to check and correct spelling.

The other thing that pisses me off as an over forty year old is the dorks who can't spell or who use text language (txt lngwg for the grammatically challenged prats out there). They should have someone on the Tradme staff to check and correct spelling.

Yeh that gets me too...

Is Hitcher looking for another job?

gav
30th April 2006, 01:05
Oh, and the other thing, some one asks what the reserve is, and they reply that its against Trade Me rules etc, bollocks, have a read of the rules sometime, its nothing of the sort. Don't know why they think they can't tell, generally they have an unrealistic value of what they think the item is worth and get quite upset when you tell them so.
And the Feedback too, its agreat idea, but its too open for abuse, people seem to wait until you post feedback before they post. If you post a negative, they post negative in retaliation. I'm waiting for a part now that I bought and paid for two weeks ago and still havent received, I emailed him after a week and he apoligised for not sending, now hes emailed me that he sent it and its been sent back to him, and he will resend. He has 100% positive feedback, do I spoil his good record. I was going to give him good feedback but with a comment about slow service, but what would you do?

neats
30th April 2006, 01:36
My worst are the sellers who list new new bikes for thousands less than retail than refuse to answr you questions. It would be a great deal if you could convince me it wasn't 1) stolen 2) wreacked or 3) stolen

justsomeguy
30th April 2006, 07:34

It's about marketing your ad. If you start low - such as $1 reserve you get a lot of bids. The more bids you get the higher in a search your ad will place when someone does a search on the key words you use.

Meaning more people/buyers see your add.

Anyone with half a brain can write a paragraph containing all the key words instead of simply cutting and pasting.

adifferentname
30th April 2006, 07:54
my pet hates.

people who bitxch about trademe

buld your own fukn website

scracha
30th April 2006, 08:02
What's wrong with it?

After bidding 15 times and not reaching reserve you get p!ssed off. I've missed out on a few trades that I would have actually purchased had the seller started at reserve (or close to).

If you're not sure what to sell it at then at least set the reserve to the minimum you'll take. If you want as much money as possible then set it a bit higher...you can always reduce it if it doesn't sell.

Starting with a stupidly low reserve price does NOT "generate interest" in an auction.

scracha
30th April 2006, 08:12
my pet hates.

buld your own fukn website
I've built a few:-) I would build an auction site but
It's all about marketing. Ebay, QXL (is this now defunct?) and Yahoo auctions are all miles better but for some reason never took off in New Zealand compared to the rest of the world.
There's three simple things Trademe could do to fix their site :-
1) Have a boolean search that works (e.g. I can type "FZR -cbr -400 -zxr" in Ebay)
2) Have a flag you can tick to only search for auctions that have met reserve (you can bet that if they did this then a lot more peeps would start the bidding at reserve).
3) Charge a 5c listing fee. That would deter all the idiots who list the same things every week at completely unrealistic prices (I don't think turner's lets you do this!)

inlinefour
30th April 2006, 08:51
I've been biarching about turdme for awhile now, but it would appear that nothings going to change. I've been stung by someone selling shit, then just expecting me to go through with the trade because it was "a legal binding" whateverthefeck. I told him to keep the shit, then was redfaced, just to have him later grease for me to remove his red face...
I've had the trader who sent me the L t-shirt, instead of a XL and then told me its my problem, then shaft me up the arse by giving me a red face for the trouble. Basically there are turdme rules, but they mean sweet F all.
I've brought several bikes now off turdme and I usually can tell when a trader is a getrichquickmerchant, afulloshitmerchant, or aidontknowafeckingthingmerchant. The biggest thing with spending alot of $$$ is getting to inspect before handing over your cash. Most sellers are quite reasonable, if I come accross one who is not, I tend to walk, even if it means a red face.
Now there are turdme laws and then there is NZ laws. Sadly it would appear that they don't allways match. However if the shit hit the fan, I know which law I would be backing. Oh and to show how much of a load of bollocks turdme's rules/laws are. Its against turdme's rules to put keywords onto an auction. However every wanker is doing it. Gone are the days of searching for something specific as I usually have to wade through shyte first to find its not even there.
Quite simply put, turdme is bollocks, anyone who says otherwise just is short a few lessions on the actual reality of the site and many of the people doing their dodgey dealings there. If your going to use it, protect yaself. Legal binding auction? So many ways around that and all their rules that its more likely to sink than the Titanic!:bye:

Wired1
30th April 2006, 09:12
Next time you are bored, have a count up of how many mini choppers are in the "classic & vintage" motorbike category - man I hate that.

pzkpfw
30th April 2006, 10:09
Agree with all previous pet peeve posts.

The one I have to add is an auction where the item is clearly going to sell for a fair bit (as indicated by the "buy now" or just common sense).

Then a bunch of people (not auto-bidding) start bidding $1, $2, $3, $4 ...

Get on with it!

----

In bike terms: the auction that really pissed me off was the arse selling a GSXR250 that'd had a 400 engine put in it. Then advertising it as legal to ride on a learners license.

Several people tried to point out to the guy that "getting away with it" is not the same as "legal". But he basically ignored them; and continued to answer all the "can I really?" questions with "yes".

I don't care what he did himself; but some naive newbie might have unknowingly bought themselves legal and insurance problems; and gotten themselves in over their heads.

(Though I suppose some will think that's tough for them).

Cheers,

Dooly
30th April 2006, 10:13
I've brought 3 bikes off TM, and fortunately I guess, the sellers had 100% ratings. I've looked at some other things where the seller has had a few reds, and I read the comments. Its quite interesting what some folk say when they give people red faces.
Lots of trades not going thru too.
I was quite interested in a tractor off one guy who had about 30 red faces and the same blue out of about 500 sales.
His reply to the red faces were to tell the people to get fucked or call them names.
I decided not to buy the tractor, or I should say, not bid.

I often wonder if sellers register other names and bid on their own auction to up the price.

People who put their bike up for sale and describe it in detail by just saying 'goes well', and thats it:wait:

I also notice that out of all the bikes for sale, there are a huge percentage, in fact probably over half who never get a response or bid the whole time the auction is running.
Obviously the price or starting is to high, or people only want a bargain, which is natural.
The last bike I brought last week, for the missus, a dirt bike was listed for over 2 weeks, had untold questions and a resonably high start opening bid. I waited till auction time, no one bid, I popped the only bid and it closed, under the reserve, but had left a question saying if you want to ring me lets talk.
He did, we talked, I brought it for under the start even tho a guy in his town came around and offered the same price, because I amde the effort to bid he waited a few days until I came up and sold it to me.
Was impressed with that.

MattRSK
30th April 2006, 10:37
Does anyone know what it costs to sell a vehicle at turners auctions?

RantyDave
30th April 2006, 11:21
My personal pet peeve is auctions that met reserve and then get withdrawn before the auction ends!
So red rep the bastards. It causes much bitching and whining, particularly with those misguidedly attempting to become millionaires off it, but ultimately there's nothing they can do about it.

Dave

Drew
30th April 2006, 14:57
Does anyone know what it costs to sell a vehicle at turners auctions?
Costs nothing. If it sells, they add $150 auctionairs fee to the buyer.

sefer
30th April 2006, 15:12
I often wonder if sellers register other names and bid on their own auction to up the price.

I wonder at that sometimes too. Trademe should really have some sort of IP logging that bidders can see (not hard to get around, but not everyone knows that).

I also hate any auction that doesn't start at reserve or at least give an indication of expected price (i.e a buy now), auctions that have a reserve higher than the buy now, auctions that start at $1 when the reserve is $200, auctions with no photos, people who make offers at the over the reserve price or at the reserve price (if I wanted it at reserve I would have bid!), or worse, people who make a high offer, then relist at a lower price I would have paid (thus another week if I choose to buy).

Karitane pete
30th April 2006, 19:14
How about the auction with the little yellow flag "NO RESERVE" my arse the starting bid may be set at $100, its a "NO RESERVE" auction, I should be able to bid $1.
By putting the $100 starting bid that set a reserve.
Yerr saw the GSXR250/400 tidy bike, but no 250.

Coyote
30th April 2006, 19:22
Its against turdme's rules to put keywords onto an auction. However every wanker is doing it.
Shit, it's against the rules? I used a bunch of keywords when selling the CBR, including other 250 bike names. I thought that was reasonable

cruxis
30th April 2006, 19:55
I just had a recent success selling my bike on trademe last week. I sold my bike for over 1000$ which I paid only 500$ for 5 years ago. (no reg, n WOF at the time though). Its still up.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=53978410

Some people just dont have a clue how much a bike is worth. I think the 250 market is way overvalued now days. Some are asking for stupid prices.

A handy tip was to have high res photos on the webspace your ISP gives you. Had comments from people who came to test ride finding that real handy. People want to see detail if the cant come in person. Having a realistic Reserve is also must.

inlinefour
30th April 2006, 20:40
Shit, it's against the rules? I used a bunch of keywords when selling the CBR, including other 250 bike names. I thought that was reasonable

Nothing personal alarumba, but I hate the use of keywords. Biggest nuscience on tardme IMO...

Cajun
30th April 2006, 22:08
Biggest nuscience on tardme IMO...
Trademe is absolute CRAP and 90% of what it shows you is unrelated to what you're searching for.:brick: At least you can exclude words on ebay. Oh, I love ebay...

The Pastor
1st May 2006, 13:06
my pet hates.

REP FOR THAT!:rockon: :first:

HenryDorsetCase
1st May 2006, 13:53
And the "exhaust" is hideous !!!

no, the model years (esp in NZ) dont correlate exactly to calendar years.

Agree re the exhaust.

That would be an OK daily rider, not a collectors piece really: sure the paintwork and such is good and the motor (apparently, and taking him at his word) but the big thing is the pipes. Just about anyone who wants a K model 750 wants a four pipe one. they are available, you just have to be prepared to pay. (between $2500 and $3k would do it, depending on the exchange rate).

It also has a hideous non stock pack frame (and you cannot buy grab handles for love nor money except on ebay.... I know, my 400/4 needs one)

as an example I sold a nicely done up (not really restored, it certainly wasnt concours) K2 for $6k about 18 months ago. It had HM330 pipes which were NOS, and had had the motor completely rebuilt (to the tune of $4500... I had the receipts). Mine had original paint and lots of NOS trim bits.

my 2c.

I would think $4k would top that out.... but I'll likely be proved wrong.

this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-55281609.htm) is a much better buy at similar money. they arent sexy though so itll probably languish.

I'd quite like a 550F if I could find a nice one...

inlinefour
1st May 2006, 14:21
no, the model years (esp in NZ) dont correlate exactly to calendar years.

Agree re the exhaust.

That would be an OK daily rider, not a collectors piece really: sure the paintwork and such is good and the motor (apparently, and taking him at his word) but the big thing is the pipes. Just about anyone who wants a K model 750 wants a four pipe one. they are available, you just have to be prepared to pay. (between $2500 and $3k would do it, depending on the exchange rate).

It also has a hideous non stock pack frame (and you cannot buy grab handles for love nor money except on ebay.... I know, my 400/4 needs one)

as an example I sold a nicely done up (not really restored, it certainly wasnt concours) K2 for $6k about 18 months ago. It had HM330 pipes which were NOS, and had had the motor completely rebuilt (to the tune of $4500... I had the receipts). Mine had original paint and lots of NOS trim bits.

my 2c.

I would think $4k would top that out.... but I'll likely be proved wrong.

this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-55281609.htm) is a much better buy at similar money. they arent sexy though so itll probably languish.

I'd quite like a 550F if I could find a nice one...

I used to do a bit of restoring of the 1970s Honda CB series. Made a bit of money doing it too. Sadly I did not take pics at the time when I was using a spare bedroom as a makeshift workshop. The only bike I did, sold and wish I'd kept is a early CB350/4. I got the original exhausts as well as having the 4 into 1. Dunno about the rest of you, but although the bike ran/sounded better with the 4 into 1. It sure looked way more sexy with the original exhausts in place.:yes:

Wired1
5th May 2006, 19:10
Here's a beauty - the bits that are falling off an look broken are actually just unbolted to stop them being damaged??? yeah right.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourers/auction-54959490.htm

Oh, and it only needs new front shocks and a bit of a tidy up to get a WOF. What an opportunity...

Wellyman
5th May 2006, 19:24
ha the world of tardme, the worst NZ site on the internet, full of bullshit,lies, fakes. I never have dealt through that with site,never will.
WM