PDA

View Full Version : who knows the class rules??

FROSTY
3rd May 2004, 23:32
After talking to the road race committee at AMCC I'm totally confused about the race classes at national level. Being specific -the class rules as they affect me.
I had/have every intention of buying a 400 kwakka and doing F3 on it
BUT --it wasn't a class at Pearoa or whanganui so it seems the writing is on the wall for that class.
Ok so what class does a bloke enter as an entry level racer
Junior sports production??
125's --or is it possible I've missed something -or there is a class im not aware of--
Can someone --or someones tell me :argh:

wkid_one
4th May 2004, 07:20
If you want the full doohicky - here it is...from fairing to engine size

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 08:27
Thanks dude--um I've got that in hardback form--What it doesn;t tell me is what bikes are going to be actually run--The class rules are one thing but what they decide will and won't be run is another.

Racey Rider
4th May 2004, 08:35
I had/have every intention of buying a 400 kwakka and doing F3 on it BUT --it wasn't a class at Pearoa or whanganui so it seems the writing is on the wall for that class.
Ok so what class does a bloke enter as an entry level racer
Junior sports production?? 125's --or is it possible I've missed something -or there is a class im not aware of--

Just because F3 isn't in the street race series doesn't mean it's ending as a class. There may be some talk about were the class is heading, & which bikes should be included, but it is a valuable stepping stone to raceing at higher levels and the sport can't afford to lose it. Still plenty of F3 raceing Guys and girls around who have know intention of moving on from the class.
Is it a good class to start in? Yes it can be. The top guys are really good, and you won't be at their level, but there's plenty of riders in the class, and your likely to find someone riding at your level to race against. Even at the back of the field this makes for a enjoyable day. All the race clubs that I know of run a F3 class. The street race series doesn't allow beginers anyway.
Other classes for beginers? Streetstock 150's is a great class. Cheap bikes, low running cost as no/low Modifications allowed. Not about how much money you but into the bike, but rider ability. (Except for me that is, which is about how much money I can put into the bike to get it back up to "standard" condition.) :o
125's would be good if your a good rider, with money to keep them going, + more money to make them competitive.

All good fun!
Hope to see you out there soon!
Racey. :ride:

svs
4th May 2004, 08:36
Yep, The MNZ championship is run by MNZ rules, but the street races and club series don't have to stick to the same classes. This seems to have been a point of some consternation among racers. Read some of the threads on Tim Gibbes web site.

Some exceptions are: The street races like wanganui, the 'Pro-Twins' class which was run at the Britten memorial and some other events, and some clubs make exceptions to the MNZ rules e.g Vic club don't allow SV650 in F3 even though MNZ class it as an F3 bike.

I'd suggest getting the bike you are happy with, and then figuring out what classes to run in later. A 400 is a good choice for starters as it's an F3 machine - note you can bore out to 450 now. I went for SV for the same reason (and I like the way they ride :ride: ), but end up running F3 (apart from vic-club, doing clubmans there) but I also get to run in Pro-Twins class B.

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 08:50
so was there a class at wanganui you could run a 400 in --even be it uncompetatively?
Oh Guys um --Im returning to racing not a novice-Well its been at least 5 years since i rode a race bike so i guess I've got a shit load of rust to clear off :gob:
When I last raced in godzone the Kwakka Kr1s was still competative with the rgv suzuki's in 250 proddy , the first model cbr600 was the ducks nuts for f2 and f3 had only just started to take off again --the impulse 400 was pretty prolific out there . I got out when the TZR250 shamozzal happened
Things have changed a lot in the past few years

svs
4th May 2004, 09:30
so was there a class at wanganui you could run a 400 in --even be it uncompetatively?

Formula Street (I think it was called something like that). Run with the F2 guys

The 600's seem to run pretty much anywhere. If you're really wanting to run in the street series then something like that might be a better bet.

Hoon
4th May 2004, 09:59
Yes there was no F3 ni the street series. They were all lumped together under Formula Street which is anything up to 600cc. Also you have to have raced 6 meets before you are eligible to do the Street races.

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 10:03
Yes there was no F3 ni the street series. They were all lumped together under Formula Street which is anything up to 600cc. Also you have to have raced 6 meets before you are eligible to do the Street races.
safe to say I've raced at 6 meets-mind you is that like this season or like ever??

Hoon
4th May 2004, 10:04
I think you may have to have the stamps on your license to prove it.

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 10:33
I think you may have to have the stamps on your license to prove it.
aww bugger--then I gotta dig out my old race licences :argh: