PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - bike capitol of NZ?

bluninja
23rd March 2003, 19:40
Well I've just returned from my first visit to Wellington in 21 years. The sun was hot, hardly a breath of wind, but no bike :(  Wandering around the city centre I couldn't help but notice all the bike parking dotted around, all fully used. There seemed to be far more bikes parked in the city centre than in Auckland, where I've seen very little bike parking bays.

Also they have the Britten bike on display in Te Papa, and a Harley Davidson 100 years of history display on til June. So is Wellington the bike capitol of NZ?

TTFN

wkid_one
23rd March 2003, 20:05
Having lived in Wellington for 26 years, the limitation is the availability of decent scratching roads.  There is no really good long roads that you can absolutely fang a bike (without taking a good long motorway ride).

Rimutaka Hill is good (a long version of the Kaimais) but is still limited - I have been known to do up to 5 repeats passes over the hill before I had had enough (it only takes about 10 mins to get up and over (speed dependant of course)...

It is a gr8 place for Tourers and Harleys, but not for sports bikes.....even the race track at Manfield is a decent ride. 

Auckland has much more accessible and challenging roads to ride - Wellington has nothing like the Kaiaua Loop or Coromandel Loop.

Good rides in Karaka Bay Rd (windy but short and is city riding at each end), Pahiatua Track (about 60 mins out of Wellington), Makara (short 1.5lane road full of horse trucks)......not a great many really for the population, but is largely limited by topography.  But, driving down Lambton Quay on a VTR is a thrill - wicked reverb off the buildings, car alarms (YES SMALL THINGS DO AMUSE SMALL MINDS)

Having done both - the top of the North Island kills it.......esp around the Waikato and Coromandel.....BRING IT ON (FECK IT IS WINTER....and here I was getting amped)

MikeL
23rd March 2003, 20:10
Nah
It's just because Wellington is so small compared to Auckland, it just seemed as if there were more bikes... they were obviously all parked together because there's no choice.
This bit about hot sun and no wind has me puzzled - is this the city I learned to ride in thirty odd years ago? Seems I recall you had to have at least 500cc to make any headway against that southerly... As for summer, well that occasionally happened for a day or two in late January or early February, but you had to go over the Rimutakas if you actually wanted to feel warm. Martinborough in the seventies...hmmm!
I saw the Britten bike at Te Papa - actually spent more time looking at that than any of the displays (not just because I was having a flat white in the cafe - I personally think Te Papa is just a lot of hype and packaging - the substance is pretty thin).
End of anti-Wellington diatribe. I actually kinda like the place in a funny nostalgic sort of way. But as for living there again...:argh:

What?
24th March 2003, 06:15
I also lived in Wellington for a few years. Yep, the place is a bit limited for sports riding, but it is also the bike capital of NZ. Simple fact is it has the highest number of bike registrations per capita of any town in the country.:)  Just a shame the weather is sometimes less than conducive to riding...:( But when it is good, the weather is often better than Auckland's... not that many Aucklanders will believe that! (maybe I don't either):eek5:

Gixxer
24th March 2003, 08:26
the only reason you don't see bikes parked in Auckland is cause we are all riding.

Skunk
24th March 2003, 11:40
Thanks for showing the 'one-eyed Aucklander' syndrome to it's best guys. :brick: There are places other than Auckland with merit.

Personally I believe we do lack good riding roads nearby but that means we get out of the city to RIDE. I couldn't believe the thread elsewhere here on roads to ride and someone (Aucklander) posts a map of streets IN THE CITY! WTF is that?! :confused:

:beer:

wkid_one
24th March 2003, 19:19
Thanks Kiwi - but having had the luxury of riding in both cities considerably - I'd like to think my comments are tempered with a great deal of experience.  I know what Wellington is like and the idea of a large motorway ride to my fav scratching roads squares my rennsports off just thinking about it......

Wellington has some good rides no doubt - but they are either miles away - or too bloody short....I like to do 500-600km per weekend and the idea of spending 400-500km of that on a motorway as I would in Wellington bores the shit out of me.....and hurts my wrists, arms and shoulders.

'One Eyed' - I think not - having lived in Wellington for 26 year - I am still a Hurricane supporter (hear all the other Auckland riders moan!!) - hence owning a bright yellow VTR!. 

I therefore think my comments are well founded and actually challenge you to find a road in Wellington similar in length, complexity, variety and lack of motorway to that of the 150km Alfriston/Clevedon/KawaKawa Bay/Kaiaua/Mangatawhiri/Hunua track or the 450km Clevedon/Coromandel Loop or 450km Rangariri/Pirongia/Te Awamutu/Putararu/Kaimai Track - all of which have limited motorway riding and maximum smiles.

I am not putting Wellington down, merely stating a fact that Auckland has better riding roads for those who wish to thrash the rubber off their bikes without sitting bolt upright on a motorway worrying about porkers!  We also have easier access to racetracks/dragstrips which all add to the enjoyment...

bluninja
25th March 2003, 08:12
Hmmm, stirred a few things here. Not surprising since a large number of this forum are from around Auckland, but it's good to hear the views of people who have been around awhile. It's interesting to note that various yardsticks have been used.

The yardstick that says Auckland has the best scratching roads close by (compared to Wellington)? I think there may be other places in NZ that would claim even better empty twisties close by. So would that make them bike capitol of NZ? I must admit I was looking at things from the view of the amount of bikes on view as everyday transport, rather than cars; and the fact that there was a large number of bike parks dotted around the centre; something that seems in short supply in Auckland.

BTW yes it was sunny, no there was practically no wind on the days I was there....apart from a slight breeze to make it choppy for the dragon boat racing.

TTFN

MikeL
25th March 2003, 12:57
Valid comments, bluninja. We all have different reasons for preferring where we live. This morning had me seriously questioning the sanity of anyone who lives in Auckland and commutes to work. Put my bike in for service yesterday and had to leave it overnight, so took the car into town: it's about 10 km I think from Onehunga to the CBD - took me nearly 50 minutes. Almost as bad as taking the bus back from Victoria St to Onehunga at 5 p.m. last night: over an hour. Although I haven't lived in Wellington for many years I'm pretty sure that the rush-hour traffic jams there are insignificant compared to ours. When I got my first bike in Wlg all those years ago I loved riding in summer but the winters eventually got to me and for this and other reasons I traded the bike in on a car. I have to say though that my trips back to Wlg in recent years have left me a bit unsure about the superiority of Auckland's climate -Wlg's weather certainly does seem to have changed for the better. As for the roads, Wlg suffers from being a dead end as it were, with only 2 directions to go (Hutt Valley and Kapiti Coast) with some dreary motorway and suburban riding before you get anywhere interesting. But I'm sure the locals have got it all sussed - come on Wellingtonians, let's hear more about your favourite rides.

Coldkiwi
25th March 2003, 13:08
I believe the map shown was for Riddell road and was accompanied by a comment along the lines of  'if you can't be arsed riding to the outer city and want a real short but fun fang, try this road'... so I dunno what the big deal is. Spankme didn't claim it was a 450km loop with something for everyone anyway.

And I'd agree that, yes, while there are houses etc. but there are some really nice banked  S- bends and tight corners along there.. it just doesn't last very long but its worth detouring too if you're anywhere near it.

i'm still slacked off about them resealing that kaiaua road. But I piked up a wises map of hauraki, franklin and coromandel last week because I drove down a nice little road (Kopuku) off state hwy 2 before maramarua and decided I needed to revisit the area on a bike to make the most of some of these deserted and twisty little roads. (make sure you get a topo or shadow type map so you can see the hills if you're interested)

And out of interest.. there is a road marked just out of Meremere that branches off state hwy 1 and heads East nor East. there is a 500m section of slow bends where it crosses the railway and then it goes for 5k... dead straight, dead flat to a dead end. I don't have the name but does anyone know if it's sealed? (it looks like it might branch off just by the old power station. If so (and assuming it doesn't get pummeled by heavy traffic) it would have to be the ULTIMATE place for trying to get the top speed on any bike (what cop is going to sit on a deserted dead end road?):bigthumb:

Skunk
25th March 2003, 17:29
Hey wkid_one, my comments weren't aimed at you; they were aimed at the one-eyed comments some were making.

If you're down this way you should try a few of the roads that are within 400kms... SH50 and 52 are good. Round Lake Ferry, out back of Gladstone... any roads at the top of the South Island (yeah, a ferry trip).

Anyway, if 400kms is too long the 'Takas will do ya anyway :bash:

Cheers

merv
25th March 2003, 17:29
Wkid_1 says 400-500km on motorways - a few tin-toppers probably wish we had more motorways, but given none of them are longer than about 30kms it is hard to understand what he means. It doesn't take long to get to the Wairarapa and when about 30 of the kms to Featherston are the Kaitoke hill (damn they are bulldozing that one now) and Rimutaka hill the ride is fun, then once in the Wairarapa you can go on all sorts of roads all off of SH2. The roads out beyond Martinborough are magic, also the back roads to Castlepoint or Riversdale or North through Alfredton, Pongaroa to Weber and any detour in between are great such as Makuri gorge back to Pahiatua. It is easy to do a 500-600km day without getting bored or doing the same bit twice.
SH1 side is boring agreed, and you can only go South from Wellington a ferry, but that aint a bad thing. The roads around the South Island are magic too - especially Upper and Lower Buller Gorge, West Coast to Haast and beyond and Lindis Pass in the middle - all great on a road bike. So who's complaining. As for the weather, we did have crap from September until January, but the last month or so have been perfect.

merv
25th March 2003, 20:34
This is what it was like at Lake Ferry on Sunday - biker heaven with great weather.

http://bikemerv.topcities.com/photos/road/20030302.jpg

merv
26th March 2003, 08:14
What am I doing wrong as my attachment in the above post only seems to work if I have already loaded the photo on my PC prior to accessing KiwiBiker?

The link to the photo is http://bikemerv.topcities.com/photos/road/20030302.jpg

I did the insert image option as I tried attaching the file and couldn't get that to work. As a new boy here can someone advise how best to get pics in a message?

What?
26th March 2003, 10:47
I still reckon Wellingtown has to take the title as bike capital purely on a numbers basis, and whist I agree totally with Merv about the great riding to be had in the Wairarapa, I don't feel Wellington makes it as the Riding Capital. Nor does Auckland. Or anywhere else for that matter - the best place to ride is where ever you happen to be (it is a bit like "what is the best bike"...):beer:

SpankMe
26th March 2003, 12:54
Originally posted by merv
What am I doing wrong as my attachment in the above post only seems to work if I have already loaded the photo on my PC prior to accessing KiwiBiker?

Most free web space providers prevent images stored with them from displaying on other sites. It's called hot linking. I also do this to stop others using my site images on their sites.

Stormer
26th March 2003, 21:44
Holy Shit!! You mean there are actually people who do not live in Auckland that ride sportsbikes! I was beginning to lose all hope.

There are heaps of cool twisties(with no cops) in the Wairarapa / lower North Island back country. Just ride out for like 10 minutes or so and you`re there. And yeah, the Lake Ferry ride is great, just about as good as the cool ale waiting when you get there.

Also, as my commute time is a whole 10 minutes (on a slow day), I can take a flick out round the back roads on the way to work. Try THAT in the big city.

merv
27th March 2003, 12:44
Just trying this attachment thing again.

merv
27th March 2003, 12:53
That was trying to use the attach file option - how do you make that work as nothing gets attached?

Coldkiwi
27th March 2003, 18:13
good question merv.. I've had a few failures trying to attach pics too

wkid_one
27th March 2003, 19:59
More riders in Wellington - Harley riders yes - sports bikes????  The population base of the two cities would almost see that as a physical impossibility???  Has anyone got LTSA vehicle registration stats on that.  I certainly do question Wellington as the bike capital of NZ??  I have certainly lived there for 26 years, and if I lived there again I would consider selling the bike - but this is because I don't think Wellington offers the sort of riding I am after (please note this is personal opinion before people mouth off). 

Wairarapa has great riding if you are on a Harley or prepared to make corners more interesting by blasting in to them at 200kph and live in the area......I would say for the types and nature of the roads the Waikato area has some of the best roads......inclusive of the Coro Penin.....

The south island has great roads (esp condition) for scratching and due to the topography has some wicked uphill/downhill sections.....but again big open sections.

You can probably guess from my threads, the idea of sitting at 120-180kph on the motorway or straight sections of road holds absolutely no appeal to me, nor does getting all kitted up to go for a scratch down a 30km piece of road??  When I ride I prefer minimal motorways and maximum speed through TIGHT STUFF......

This is what makes motorcycling interesting tho, like choosing a bike, everyone has a preference on roads as well.....if I had my way, I would spend most of my time on the bike on the track going nuts......it is controlled, it offers what I am looking for (speed and lean) and therefore meets my needs.  The rest of the time with my mates on tight left right corners going pub to pub.....

Each to their own.......it is better to be on a bike anywhere, than a car anyway

What?
27th March 2003, 23:15
Originally posted by wkid_one
it is better to be on a bike anywhere, than a car anyway 

Exactly.:D

Stormer
28th March 2003, 17:46
Hey wkid-one...Wairarapa roads only good for Harleys? Don`t think so mate. Maybe on the straights, but you`d be some rider if you could flick a Harley around the tight back country roads.

You`d be an even BETTER rider if you could flick through them at 200kph on a sportsbike like you can!

As you say, each to his own, but go easy on us non city folk down here.

wkid_one
12th April 2003, 21:05
I am sorry - but Wellington Riders I am disappointed.  I was down this week, and shagged my rear tire - and went looking for a new one.....a RennSport.

Well, no shop in Wellington stocks RennSports - not one has them in stock....yes they can order them tho.  There reason - no one in Wellington rides on them cause they are too 'race' orientated?

I question this.....do Wellingtonians know RennSports exist - if so, why aren't they on every scratchers weekend weapon - simply the best....or, heaven forebid - don't ride hard enough?  Fighting words I know, but Rennsports are stocked by nearly every Auckland store.......and I wonder why not one of the 5 stores in Wellington stocked them?  Obviously demand driven.........help me here.....

And I now wait for the tirade.....but this is true and meant I had to go for a sub standard M1 instead....good price tho $475 for the set fitted!!  KK - are you listening

Coldkiwi
14th April 2003, 13:08
broaden your mind Wkid! I know Dan swears by them but lots of other excellent tyres exist. (Michelin and Dunlops seem to be good enough in SBK!)

Have you tired the cut slick from Pirelli? I've got the Dragon Evo's (one step back from that) on the 6R and I love them ($450 and did the job at Puke as you know!) but since I ride in all weather I need to have more sea area than a cut slick

Skunk
14th April 2003, 14:33
I wonder about you Wkid...

You'll ride from Auck to the Waikato for a good road but Wellington to the Wairarapa is too far?

If you can only find room to like Auckland's things then it's just as well you live there. :p

As for RennSports - never heard of them. My bikes came fitted with Bridgestones, I've tried Pirellis and Shincos (sp?) but found the Bridgestones the best. Guess that's cause I ride year round on the same tires. :D

750Y
14th April 2003, 14:40
Just wondering wicked_one if You could find the Dragon Evo supercorsas in stock. I spose You already asked that too?
That woulda been my next choice If I were a Rennsport die hard as they share the same compound. What did You buy in the end?

bikerboy
14th April 2003, 16:56
Where does the new Pirelli Diablo tyre fit in the rankings.

It's time to replace the Michelin pilot sport whatevers. My first bike had dragon evos but I never really noticed a difference.:o

i don't do track days and try to avoid wet days but grip in the wet would be an important consideration.

So what do you guys think is the best choice?:D

750Y
14th April 2003, 17:22
The Diablo is sposed to be extremelyl good wet and dry.(far superior to the pilot sports)
Leading edge will fit them to Your bike for a 1 week trial & if You don't like them they'll take them off free of charge(true) & give Your tyres back or let You choose a different set. get into it.

Pickle
14th April 2003, 21:21
Hey W'kd one GET OFF the main road & like Merv & ZRX say there are lots of really good roads in the Wairarapa that dont need to be done at 200k's to enjoy & like you I enjoy riding thru corners more than the straight stuff.

As for tyres I use Pirelli's front & rear, corsa compound on the front & sports/ touring at the rear. I have never had either tyre slide & that includes ride days at Manfield. Why do people insist on using race rubber on the road? Pose value more like WANK value to me.

wkid_one
14th April 2003, 22:06
I live in Alfriston - so have the best playground in my backyard. 

I looked at the Diablo Corsa for $800 a set - the Pirelli equvilent of the Renners. I don't like Pirelli tho.  I am strictly a bridgestone/metzler man.

Have run the 208's on the VTR too - hated them, to flat, to neutral and slowed the steering down - VTR is already slow to steer - not good.

I ended up with SportTec's as the price was too good ($475 fitted) and I couldn't wait for them to order tires in.

I have ridden in Wellington, INCLUDING the Wairarapa - and as much fun as the Rimutakas are - I find much more accomodating to ride in Auckland.  I lived in Upper Hutt so spent much time in the Wairarapa thanks - but the proportion of good scratching road to open road is limited.  I live for 30-55kph corners - NOT open corners (re-read my original post - it says - you have to roll in to corners fast to make them interesting).  Wellington in my experience doesn't offer roads of this type that are long enough for me to get my fill. 

My opinion and my perception/experience.

wkid_one
14th April 2003, 22:11
PS Doug - we use Race Tires on the road as there is less tread on the edges of the tire - you know the part that is still glazed on yours by the sounds of it.

Renners are a spectacular tyre - and not half as bad as people think, even in the wet (provided it is not sheeting, but then no tyres stick to glass).  Race Tyre - argueably.  Why?  Better Grip provided you are running at speed to keep them warm and Better Contact Patch at the outer edges of the tyre.

If you haven't tried them, don't knock them......the are a bloody tame tyre for the design and at the same time well balanced for the road.  I would prefer to spend top dollar on a tyre that is not going to give when I overcook a corner and need maximum lean angle. 

wkid_one
14th April 2003, 22:13
PPS - I LOVE PROVOKING CONVERSATION - I LOVE PEOPLE BITING - DO CARRY ON?

Stormer
14th April 2003, 22:22
This dude is obviously one staunch Aucklander now.You`ll never convert him.

Good choice of bike though.

wkid_one
14th April 2003, 22:28
Piss Off - I love Wellington, just doesn't suit how I like to ride is all

Stormer
14th April 2003, 22:36
Looks like you`re the one that`s biting mate !!

Was`nt being serious, just having a bit of a fun dig.

750Y
15th April 2003, 08:58
You know the saying... You can take the boy out of the Hutt,... butt.... :D

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 12:02
Sorry - just not an Aucklander by any stretch of the imagination.

Upper Hutt was good for quick blatts up the 'Taka's tho.  Don't know how many times I would have ridden that rode over and back over and back for the hell of it - I found you needed to ride a return trip at least twice to get my jollies.

Coldkiwi
15th April 2003, 13:33
$800 FOR THE DIABLO'S!? OWWW! you don't sound phased tho, so how much do you pay for the Rennsports Wkid?

750Y
15th April 2003, 13:48
and what compound You running on the road? rs1/rs2? I've got some too & they're sticky alright. I don't use them on the road although I could(and have done briefly). There is a road compound available too, never tried it tho.

bikerboy
15th April 2003, 16:32
So far there are as many opinions as tyres.

Perhaps a poll with the top five tyres for general sport bike riding, not racing.

Surely there must be an overall favorite or preference for Auckland's weather.:rolleyes:

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 16:33
Renners are about $600 a set give or take - depends on how well you know you tyre store!!

$800 bucks - never!!!  They only last 3000km....

I am running the Road Compound Renners (on the road of course) - can't keep enough heat in the medium and soft race compound renners for the road.......plus, mileage sucks.  Fecken good road tyre tho.........don't know about the Diablos' as I kinda stick to what I know works when it comes to rubber.

In saying that, the M1's are shaping up well, nice quick progressive turn-in, no slides yet, scrubbed up right to the outside already and holding well and at $475 - what a bargain.  May stay with these for winter but will be back to the Renners for summer.

How do you find them as a track tyre 750?  Mine road compounds went bloody well around Puke....haven't tried the rs1&2......

750Y
15th April 2003, 17:38
stickier than a teenagers butt.;)

Pickle
15th April 2003, 17:40
Hey wkd one

Get your hand off it, if your idea of the Wairarpa is the Rimutakas then you havent ridden the area very well. The Rimutakas are over rated, bumpy and have too much traffic.

As for my tyres by the time I replace them there is still plenty of tread in the middle but nothing on the sides right to the edge. Thank you. If you go back to the forum of favourite roads then you will see that corners are where its at, high speed, low speed, dirt roads ( mind you probably wouldnt ride dirt roads too technical for you ) & everything in between I contributed a number of good roads to that forum from all over the country.

I just havent found anything in or around Auckland that gets my adrenalin going.

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 18:51
My god someone has a bee in their bonnet.......

Doug - I am entitled to my OPINION - and that is I don't like riding in Greater Wellington.  I have ridden Wellington/Wairarapa and just don't like it - my perception of the roads.  Yes there are some good roads there - but for me it was too much arsehole motorway/highway riding to get to them and when I got to them, the windy bits are too short.  You are entitled to yours........to which I don't and won't agree.

If you are truly wearing the sides of your tyres out - you should be on RennSports/Diablos/012's - I question if you are actually doing this if you aren't riding on these tyres (or heard of them).........

Pickle
16th April 2003, 09:55
I use Pirellis because that is what I trust, I have raced on Pirellis, Metzeler's & Yokohamas & yes I have heard of Rennsports just never used them or other race tyres on the road as when I do a trip it could be 3000 to 5000kms I wouldnt want to stop & fit a tyre to complete a trip.

I know what you mean about getting out of Wellington it can be as bad as getting out of Auckland. Some of the best roads in the Wairarapa are out the back of Masterton with some good high speed roads to get there. The best ones have only been sealed in the last 2 to 3 years with a variety of high speed & low speed corners.

wkid_one
17th April 2003, 02:04
Yeah - I am lucky in that I live out in South East Auckland - so I can go to coromandel and ride 100+km of scratching road before I have to jump on a motorway - then back on to the scratching road.  Same with going south - we can avoid the motorway by going behind our house.

To me, it is the coming home on the motorway that sucks - you are all amped from the ride and tend to carry more speed on the way home.

If I had live in the Wairarapa I would have a different opinion, however even living in Upper Hutt meant it was too far to go for decent roads.  Played heaps on the Paekakariki Hill Rd - did the closed road dash once in a car so know it well.  Still it is only about 15km long.

The other thing with Wellington is that it tends to hold ice etc on the road longer in winter which makes for slower corner speeds through the scratching roads.

Have spent many a day out the back of Martinborough........there are just too many cops in the Caterton/Masterton/Greytown area - although heaps of areas to run.

MikeL
17th April 2003, 08:36
Re cops in the Wairarapa:
I can remember even back in the late sixties (not that I would want to give any hint of how old I am) there always seemed to be traffic cops (the MOT ones, not real cops) between Carterton and Greytown. Just like in Horowhenua - always one lurking outside Foxton - which is where I copped my first speeding ticket: all of $15. On the rare occasions I go back to Wellington other than by air (thank you, Qantas), I still see more cops between Bulls and Waikanae than anywhere else in the North Island. Haven't been to the Wairarapa for yonks - but I expect it would be the same - it's the long straight stretches I suppose.

wkid_one
17th April 2003, 09:34
Yeah - and around the Waiuru / Taihape stretch as well

Marmoot
20th April 2003, 22:58
It Might be the Bike Capital....if you're looking at the available choices.

But Hamilton, now, that is the bike heaven! :D
In the years I've lived there, I have found not less than 20 different combinations of short rides and long rides with hundreds of corners you simply can't memorize.

Or....maybe it's just me with short memory........:o