PDA

View Full Version : Sport bike for the parapalegic

SpankMe
4th May 2004, 13:40
There is still hope for those bikers who have lost the use of their legs.

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4468

White trash
4th May 2004, 14:36
Bloody briliant!

It's great to see people overcoming the odds to continue doing what they love.

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 15:11
fantastic --better than a trike by a country mile

duckman
4th May 2004, 15:25
Awesome - I just sent the links to a friend of mine who has been in a chair for about two years now after crushing his spine in a snowboarding accident.

Check they guy out doing the wheelie !!! Wickud!! :D

Motoracer
4th May 2004, 15:29
Check they guy out doing the wheelie !!! Wickud!! :D

Yea and check out the one below from the same site. Note the NOS!!

http://www.adaptivemotorcycles.com/images/Photo%20Pages/Thumbnails/pages/Ninja%20ZR1000_jpg.htm

Good to see that their spirit hasn't been broken.

toads
5th May 2004, 15:46
that is awesome, I am quite blown away with the huge effort this guy has made to overcome the seemingly impossible.

Ghost Lemur
5th May 2004, 16:02
I think a huge boquet has to go to his wife. I takes a special sort of woman to fully support her husband getting back on a bike after what happened to him. I think that might even take more courage than the actual getting back on. if you think about it all the recovery time she must have spent at his side in hospital, etc.

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 16:11
Potentially these modifications could allow vertically challenged people to ride sportsbikes as well as others with more profound disabilities...

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 17:13
Potentially these modifications could allow vertically challenged people to ride sportsbikes as well as others with more profound disabilities...
I once met an italian dude with a brace of ducatis who was so short he had to either dismount at stops or stay balanced as he could only reach the ground if he slid of the side until only his knee was on the seat. Starts involved starting it getting on and just driving off hoping the stand would flick off, or step starting like a ten speed.

And he used to take our neighbour as a pillion! :niceone:

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 17:16
Dumb questiuon probably but what happens when you want to stop on uneven ground like a cambered rd or a hill?

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 17:21
Dumb questiuon probably but what happens when you want to stop on uneven ground like a cambered rd or a hill?

There's always a bloody pragmatist to spoil a good idea...

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 18:19
There's always a bloody pragmatist to spoil a good idea...
Simple question you would think. But we have all seen a child bin trainers because they leaned too far or the road was uneven. Funny as it may be on AFV it is not very funny whe you are talking about a $20000 plus mods, 200kg bike falling on someone with no legs.

It kept me awake for hours last night. Seriously do they only ride around the parking lot or is there an independace to how far the wheels come down on which side? Is there independant suspension or are they fixed?

Do they have to get a reverse gear fitted. If not how on earth did he get the bike parked that far back facing out?

Before anyone gets all narky Good on them for having a go let alone succeeding... But how could it be better?
:ride: :Punk: :ride: :Punk: :ride: :Punk: :ride: :Punk: :ride:

Ghost Lemur
5th May 2004, 18:32

If they've designed them right (disclaimer: I haven't been to the the companies sight so no idea if this is what they do), each of the arms will be independant of the other. Both will be capable of going further down than ground level, and each have an independant resistance sensor so as to detect when they've each hit ground.

Doing it this way would also enable things like parellel parking to the curb, as one wheel would stop when it hit the footpath and the other would keep going till hitting the road.

Two Smoker
5th May 2004, 18:32
Ultimate respect for that guy for getting back on the bike :niceone: shows how important back protectors are...... (and people think im silly wearing it on my CT110 :sly: )

BD the side wheels are retracted and placed back down when moving of or stopping :niceone:

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 18:38
BD the side wheels are retracted and placed back down when moving of or stopping :niceone:
Yeah I got that bit. I was wondering if when slowing to a stop the system allowed for the fact the ground may be uneven.

Ie when the road cambers to the left can you lower the left wheel further?

Geez talk about a talent for stating the obvious while missing the point. :Pokey:

Two Smoker
5th May 2004, 18:54
Yeah I got that bit. I was wondering if when slowing to a stop the system allowed for the fact the ground may be uneven.

Ie when the road cambers to the left can you lower the left wheel further?

Geez talk about a talent for stating the obvious while missing the point. :Pokey:
LOL, thanks for explaining it a bit further :niceone: doesn't look like it from the pictures, unless there is a centre pivot point on the frame of the assisting wheels and that point would have to have stops to stop the bike leaning to far..... hmmmmm who knows????

pete376403
5th May 2004, 20:00
If the struts are worked by air cylinders (or hydraulics) and both struts are pneumatically/hydraulically linked (think; balance hose) they will both come down together, on a sloping surface when one side hits the road it will stop extending if the other side is still off the surface and has little resistance to movement. Once both sides are on the road the pressure will be the same each side and they will provide an equal amount of lift. Thats what I reckon anyway.

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 20:11
If the struts are worked by air cylinders (or hydraulics) and both struts are pneumatically/hydraulically linked (think; balance hose) they will both come down together, on a sloping surface when one side hits the road it will stop extending if the other side is still off the surface and has little resistance to movement. Once both sides are on the road the pressure will be the same each side and they will provide an equal amount of lift. Thats what I reckon anyway.

It would need to be a slightly more elaborate mechanism than that. The first strut down would have to lock out on contact, as would the second, otherwise they would only act as dampers to delay the inevitable toppling! This is doable with a hydraulic system. So too is having a speed-sensitive actuator that brought the undercarriage down when the speed was less than a given amount (on deceleration) and raised them again on acceleration. I am trying to figure out how best to power the hydraulic pump. This would be much easier if bikes had power steering -- then you could make use of the dumped oil from that pump to power the retractable undercarriage...

pete376403
5th May 2004, 20:21
Run the pump off a high torque electric motor -a starter motor would be ok. It's not like its being used that much. As far as lockout goes, once the valve controlling oil (or air) into the cylinders closed, they should hold at that point. Hydraulics definitely, air if there was enough pressure involved - like the struts that the land speed record bikes use to hold them upright until they're up to speed - they are worked by compressed air or nitrogen

Motu
5th May 2004, 20:30
step starting like a ten speed

Back when the single shock dirt bikes came out and young guys all rode them on the street - they thought the gun thing to do was wind the shock to the max preload (like,you need to do that if ya doin jumps eh) So the seat height of an XR500 was chest height for me - when I had to road test them that's what I'd do...put my foot on the right peg,then take off and swing the leg over.Coming back I'd dismount as I'd stop - just like any kid on a push bike.

The original topic? :not: :niceone:

Hitcher
6th May 2004, 09:52
Run the pump off a high torque electric motor -a starter motor would be ok. It's not like its being used that much. As far as lockout goes, once the valve controlling oil (or air) into the cylinders closed, they should hold at that point. Hydraulics definitely, air if there was enough pressure involved - like the struts that the land speed record bikes use to hold them upright until they're up to speed - they are worked by compressed air or nitrogen

After sleeping on this I reckon electric is the way to go -- use worm-gear and pressure switches.