PDA

View Full Version : What is Ride Right Ride Safe?

The Stranger
1st May 2006, 13:38
It is a riding school developed and run by BRONZ members.

One of the aims of BRONZ (Biker Rights Organisation Of New Zealand) is "To promote road safety through road user education"

So this course is run by BRONZ members as part of an attempt to meet that goal.

The course is aimed at road riding, NOT the track. So no good coming along to learn how to best set up your suspension for racing or to get yer knee down.

We meet the third Sunday of each month (mostly) at the Whenuapai air base and they let us use some largely unused runway for running the course.

As it is staffed by volunteers the charge is very low ($50.00) we essentailly just aim to cover costs.

What you get is access to some bloody experienced instructors and great advice on most any motorcycling subject. There are usually about 8 instructors and a maximum of about 20 students so there is a lot of one on one time and you get the benefit of different views and ideas from the different instructors.

The day is about 50/50 theory and practical split into 4 sections so you get to try out what you have just been through in the class.

Can we teach you anything you don't already know?
First time I went helped out with an away class was for a Ulysses organised event. Some of these guy had been riding longer than I have been alive. I am thinking WTF are we going to teach them. But without exception the class was well recieved and all said they learned something. So weather you have been riding for 40yrs, or you are returning to riding or just starting out I really believe we can be of benefit.

RRRS is now being run in Dunedin as a joint effort between the Otago Motorcycle Club and BRONZ Otago. Big ups to ACC for their assistance with setting this up.

Check out the RRRS web site (http://www.rrrs.org.nz) for more information.

XP@
1st May 2006, 14:58
Any plans for wellington?

The Stranger
1st May 2006, 15:19
Not to my knowledge at this stage, though I intend to raise this.

Big Dave
1st May 2006, 15:48
Images from the Auckland course attached

phantom
1st May 2006, 15:51
Nothing coming up in the Manawatu / Wanganui area - I suppose Hawera is only another hour on

The Stranger
4th June 2006, 12:38
Ok the RRRS site (http://www.rrrs.org.nz)is now live.

Not yet complete, but a good start.

A very big THANK YOU to Swanny for this.

silverado
4th June 2006, 15:12
Time and date please?:scooter:

The Stranger
4th June 2006, 15:39
Sunday the 18th of June at 8:30 am.
If you are interested in attending please PM me you name and address and I shall send you a form.

They will be available for download from the Web site soon.

silverado
4th June 2006, 18:41
to you hotmail address via www.rrrs.org.nz.

Cheers:scooter:

Peter Waller
5th June 2006, 16:05
How do I go about registering for the next course in Auckland?

Grumpy
5th June 2006, 17:50
I'd been riding for around 20+ years when a girl in the club I was with organised a day with these blokes. I went along to help make up the numbers thinking that there wasn't a hell of a lot that I would pick up from this course. Well I was wrong. Excellent day no matter what your experience level. Highly recommended.

The Stranger
5th June 2006, 21:29
How do I go about registering for the next course in Auckland?

Please pm me your name and address and we will send you out a form to fill out. We hope to have this available on the website in the near future but for now we are still doing by old fashioned snail mail :yes:

Hope to hear form you soon

crusa
19th June 2006, 21:12
Hi
This is my first post on this forum and as a guy getting back into riding over the last year and having a new bike i found the course on sunday great value.i found some things about the way i ride and how to improve and what my bike is capable of in some areas.
These guys know there stuff.It is well worth the money even in the rain.Thanks finn and the others.

Crusa

gijoe1313
30th July 2006, 21:34
Hey, thanks for posting this up - when is your next Auckland training session? I definitely want to do the right thing and take advantage of the years of wisdom and hard earnt experience of others!

Cheers!:yes:

The Stranger
31st July 2006, 08:34
The courses are held on the third Sunday of each month.
The next course is the 20th of August.

insane1
11th August 2006, 08:17
is this classed as defensive rider training is it recognised by ltnz therefore allowing you 3months of your restricted .sorry for beeing a pain but where can i do defensive rider training that will let me do above and get full licence early.

McJim
11th August 2006, 08:27
Hi Insane1,

The BRONZ Ride Right Ride Safe course is not recognised by the Licencing body in New Zealand - it's purpose is not to 'tick some boxes' so you can get your full licence earlier. The RRRS course exists to actually make you a better and safer rider on the road (unlike the defensive driving course) because this course stands a good chance af helping you live longer you won't get any benefit to your licence status.

In a nutshell it's bikers with shitloads of experience offering it at a damn good price to us noobies before cripple ourselves.

I'm going on 20th August.

For details on local defensive driving courses look up LTNZ's website or ask at a VTNZ testing centre - they should be able to point you in the right direction.:yes:

toymachine
18th August 2006, 19:07
I'd look at going this Sunday, but only been riding since thursday night so it's a bit much getting to whenuapai...

Maybe the next one..

M1CRO
20th August 2006, 20:33
If you need some "wingmen", just let us know :)

McJim
20th August 2006, 20:58
I'd look at going this Sunday, but only been riding since thursday night so it's a bit much getting to whenuapai...

Maybe the next one..

I am a rank amateur but was able to attend the course today - got in contact with M1CRO and he made sure I got along to the venue safely - I thouroughly recommend the course now that I've been on it. I'll admit that I couldn't do half the things at first but managed to put some practice in on the way home and spent some time in a car park reinforcing what I learned.

Well worth it.

90s
20th October 2006, 07:39
I did this course last weekend and really have to recommend it as one of the best investments and bargains that you may ever make.
There were 7 of us on the course - me on the smallest bike, the RG150, a Suzuki GSX250, Honda CBR250, Hyon. cruiser 250, a cool 1950s Triumph and two geniune 'big' bikes - A 600 gixxer and and 600 ZX6. Most of the 250 riders were 'rookie', so massive kudos on the 600 riders for coming on the course. I think they got a lot out from the course - you get out what you put in. With only 7 of us there were 4 instructors, so they were easily able to give specific advice to riders. Most of the riders were here on the forum, but I won't name them unless they want to make themselves known - let's just say they were a pretty cool bunch.

The aim was to make everyone a safer rider, and to raise skill levels, so an experienced rider can work on getting from 70% to 75% whilst rookies like me to go from 30% to 35% (Finn, chief instructor, thought I was initially using about 30% of the bikes true braking potential ... )

Instructors were Finn, Chris, Noel and chief demo-girl Christine on the 1300 gixxer (1300 - bloody 'ell. I think that's the top speed). Instructors were totally top quality - great riders sure you would expect, but for volunteer teachers they were awesome (I am a professional trainer and lecturer and these guys, Finn esp., were as very good).

Day a mix of in-class (hmmm, airforce fire engine shed) theory and discussion and then applied theory on the runway. Exercises were done individually and we swapped between instructors on each exercise so you got several points of view. First exercise - weave through a LOT of cones, turn, return, ride down long narrow plank of wood and then over 2 half logs. Man, as the first to go and on the smallest bike I was pretty nervous I would show myself up! Luckily thought 'calm', looked up & ahead and did it all OK without hitting any cones. Felt much better for the day when nearly every one else took a cone out (or 10!). Still, as a mountain biker low speed balance is my thing so under no illusion as to my general skill level - which turned out to be wise. Mornings exercises on turning etc. with good advise from instructs. - "OK, now try doing this ... try it faster ..." etc. etc. Gradually as I rode back from an exercise into the line-up I could already feel myself more in control of the bike.

For me the totally crucial thing was countersteering. Esp. the message that I should pretty much ALWAYS be countersteering. I had never experienced it and found it hard to believe to be honnest. Even the 600 riders I thought didn't put 100% faith in it all the time. Having a safe riding area to experiment was great - ride 50kph down runway in a straight line then pull the right handlebar to see what will happen. Well, thanks, I know what will happen - the bike will turn right! Well blow me it turned left! What a head trip. Seems that I've been leaning the bike more and more to compensate for actually turning the 'wrong' way! We did several exercises, but it was awesome watching the positively dimunitive Christine power this monster gixxer down through a weave course countersteering through and powering out. How cool was that?

Crazy scary exercise for CS around a danger was driving AT Christine who indicated at 12m (seems a lot? think again!) which way to avoid her. When you are driving at a person not a cone it makes a lot of difference believe me. I think we were all relieved we hadn't killed her by the end!

A week on from the course and I've 'got' countersteering (didn't really on the day) - long downhill off-camber series of s-bends I ride down daily I look forward to - bike feel 50kg lighter and 3x more reponsive. Just pushing the steering INTO the corners and the bike drops down and is through. It leans more than ever before I even lean at all! I guess it is the bike leaning naturally and not me forcing it over ...

Afernoon safe corners etc. and ended with some hardcore braking lessons. Not confident and only a month on the bike I took it easy pegging 40k as my demo speed. My advantage was as a cyclist I rely almost 100% on the front brake - only use the rear to skid steer. Some people have a hard time trusting the front so worked on that. My first brakes I stopped in 2 1/2 cones. After a few rounds and some advice I stopped in 1/2 a cone - so fast I amost fell off I was so shocked! Finn reckoned I had gone from about 30 to 45% of brakes potential. Eek. Something to work on.

Anyway, meet new riders, put faces to KB IDs, improve your riding all for a nominal price. Really recommend the course - have fun.

M1CRO
20th October 2006, 20:47
Nice write-up and thank you for the kind words to all involved.... sooo glad you enjoyed yourself.... :yes:
Look forward to riding with you in the future :2thumbsup

The Stranger
10th November 2006, 10:02
Bump...
Last course for the year is 19th November, so anyone considering this, now is the time.

NighthawkNZ
10th November 2006, 12:50
I believe The Otago Motorcycle Club or BRONZ Otago has started a similar thing here in Dunedin... they mentioned it at the last club meet...

Will try and get more info on this

The Stranger
10th November 2006, 13:03
I believe The Otago Motorcycle Club or BRONZ Otago has started a similar thing here in Dunedin... they mentioned it at the last club meet...

Yes they have.
We have been working with BRONZ Dunedin and OMC on this.
I would like to say a big ups to ACC for their vision and financial assistance. Hopefully an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.
I do not know their schedule or how booked they are, but anyone interested in attending the Dunedin course could contact BRONZ Otago (http://www.bronz.org.nz/contact.html) or the Otago Motorcycle Club.

Disco Dan
15th November 2006, 23:57
Bump...
Last course for the year is 19th November, so anyone considering this, now is the time.

Cheers for the reminder CaN, going to working very hard to make sure im there!!

Always keen to improve my riding skills! I just hope its not too late after learning a few 'naughty habbits' on my bike!

Will be attending with an open mind and an egerness to learn!

toymachine
17th November 2006, 08:44
Any chance of turning up with cash without a prior booking?

Daffyd
5th December 2006, 20:35

I'm booked into one in Dunedin on Sunday 10th. :scooter:

Daffyd
11th December 2006, 16:25
After attending the Dunedin one yesterday, I can only agree with 90s on what a great course it is. Like 90s, I didn't get everything at once but had it pretty well sorted by the time I got home.
Kudos to the volunteers who gave up their Sunday to help other, less experienced riders to "up" their game!

fatnold
16th December 2006, 19:18
Hi

is there a course for the 17 December 2006?

The Stranger
16th December 2006, 19:24
Hi

is there a course for the 17 December 2006?

No sorry, none on the 17th of December. Next one in Auckland is on the 21st of Jan 07. There is none in Feb as this clashes withthe battle of the streets.

El Dopa
16th December 2006, 19:33
Next one in Auckland is on the 21st of Jan 07.

I'll sign myself up for that one in the next day or two.

Anyone else keen?

fatnold
17th December 2006, 07:15
sounds good-count me in

90s
21st January 2007, 20:32
So, I did the course once, now I've done it again. Previous review outlined the days activities and what I took as key takeouts, so this follow-up concentrates on what I got doing the course a second time.

First, why do the course a second time as several people did this time? New bike, pillion riding, passage of time etc. The course really reinforced what I learned last time, and also reminded me of more subtle things I had forgotten last time. In particular had just stepped up to the GSX600F and wanted to learn in a safe environment how to take a pillion (Mrs 90s, or the boss). Boss only pillioned before with me on a scooter on holiday and not sure what to expect, so this would be a great confidence builder with the chance to get some really good advice for us both.

OUtline of the day same as my last review, although this time we did the exercises two-up. Again learned what would have taken us months at least to probably figure out on the road. Boss enjoyed it greatly. Two big groups this time with about 20-something bikes. Quite a lot of large bikes and experienced riders (R1, Bandit, Fireblades etc) as well as learners. Great atmosphere - why are bikers so friendly and keen to learn more skills? Why can't cagers build up their skill levels in a relaxed way like this? (no answers pls ... more of a plea ... )

Again well organised and fantastic instructors. Just to rectify one mistake in my last review (if, as one lucky prizewinner did, you spotted the error) Christine rides the GSX1300 Hayabusa, "Peregrine" in Japanese (because it eats blackbirds ... ta-bum!) not a GSXR1300.

So thanks once again to all involved - certainly worth doing again!

fatnold
22nd January 2007, 14:33
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the company. Content was provoking and useful. Topics included _ Theory covering physics of motorcyles and motorcycling, factors affecting riding and safety - some of it revision, other areas giving a better understanding of why we do what we do when riding.

Practical tuition with feedback on countersteering, obstacle avoidance, tight turning (without falling off) and emergency braking.

Thoroughly worth $50 and recommended to ALL motorcyclists, no matter how good you THINK you are.

Cheers to the Crew: Finn, Christine, Noel and Gareth.

R6_kid
22nd January 2007, 18:41
was a good day, enjoyed helping out. Pity about my intense sunburn though!

Lil_Byte
22nd January 2007, 18:53
Yes they have.
We have been working with BRONZ Dunedin and OMC on this.
I would like to say a big ups to ACC for their vision and financial assistance. Hopefully an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.
I do not know their schedule or how booked they are, but anyone interested in attending the Dunedin course could contact BRONZ Otago (http://www.bronz.org.nz/contact.html) or the Otago Motorcycle Club.

If they have something like this I would definetly be interested as I have been riding for years with no training/tuition or advise. Would be great to learn what I am doing wrong.

Will join BRONZ once I move back to Dunedin which I hope is in the not too distant future as my g/friend is getting toey with me living in Arrowtown

El Dopa
22nd January 2007, 19:02
was a good day, enjoyed helping out. Pity about my intense sunburn though!

So that was you?

I got sunburned even though the only times I was outside with my helmet off were getting on and off the bike, and once or twice to hear better on the runway.

Cajun
22nd January 2007, 19:08
My wife and father in law did this last year through Tauranga Ulysses. They said it was beneficial especially 'cause it was pissing down with rain, and they got to practice hard braking etc in the wet. Father in law found it more helpful, as he's been riding for years, whereas wife learnt all those exercises at BRM trackdays.

El Dopa
22nd January 2007, 19:09
Just a thought, but it might be worthwhile if a friendly mod shifted everything from post #34 onwards in this thread, to the thread below:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42184

M1CRO
22nd January 2007, 19:19
My wife and father in law did this last year through Tauranga Ulysses
If I am guessing correctly, you should have seen your father-in-law's face when I did the emergency braking straight towards his Busa :innocent:

Deviant Esq
25th January 2007, 05:03
Such great reports, I'd happily shell out $50 to participate in one of these days. Is there one in Christchurch? I'd much prefer it if there was, long way down to Dunedin on my little 250!

M1CRO
25th January 2007, 08:04
Is there one in Christchurch?
The RRRS course only exists in Auckland and Dunedin at the current time. Would suggest that maybe you contact them in Dunedin and if there are enough people in ChCh, they might bring the course to you? Have a look at www.bronz.org.nz

Deviant Esq
25th January 2007, 08:13
Excrement, thanks mate. Not sure about the website though, the link doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's just not working because I'm way the hell over in England at the moment... Still, it seems a bit odd to me that Wellington and Christchurch don't have the course as well, there are heaps of bikers in both. If posters were put up at bike shops and maybe at the AA (driver licencing etc) there would probably be quite a good response. Still, when I get back to NZ I'll try to remember to contact them. That is, after I've got for a fang to Akaroa... :shifty:

The Stranger
25th January 2007, 10:06
Still, it seems a bit odd to me that Wellington and Christchurch don't have the course as well, there are heaps of bikers in both.

Not at all really. RRRS is run by volunteers on a non profit basis. It needs people in those areas (volunteer instructors) to get off of their butts to make it happen.

The bikers we met in Dunedin are bloody AWESOME people and got in behind RRRS in a big way. They got on to ACC and ACC were happy to assist with start up costs (with a few reasonable conditions attached). Auckland provided course material and training.

You too can make it happen if you like, all it needs is a few like minded people and a little dedication.

Deviant Esq
25th January 2007, 11:26
Yeah, I guess it does make sense. Especially factoring in laziness or just plain "got better things to do" / "takes too much effort..." type of thinking.

I'd love to make it happen... but I'm just a newbie rider, and I really don't know that many bikers in Christchurch when it comes down to it. I'd like to get out a bit more and meet up with others, but I haven't been able to mainly just because I've always had to work weekends. Here's hoping I won't be working them when I get back! I've got appointments to keep already! :mobile:

The other thing is it's all very well knowing the guys who've got a bit of experience, but they've got to be willing, too. I'd offer to help if I were in a position to, but although I've been told I ride well, I just don't have the experience. I can't imagine trying to teach anyone anything when I don't know it myself!!

Maybe I'll have to make the trip down to Dunedin to have a go at it, especially if the bikers are that awesome. I'll just make sure I drag someone else from Christchurch down with me!

Cheers guys.

Disco Dan
6th February 2007, 16:57
No sorry, none on the 17th of December. Next one in Auckland is on the 21st of Jan 07. There is none in Feb as this clashes withthe battle of the streets.

Whens the next one on, sonny-jim?

The Stranger
6th February 2007, 17:01

They are on the third Sunday of each month, except December and February. So the next one is the 18th of march.

Chisanga
6th February 2007, 17:02

It's in the Calender Dan.... 18th March :)

Edit: Quick-draw CaN beat me to the post :)

dawnrazor
7th February 2007, 14:15
hey

How long is the course?

What time of day does it start at?

Do you need to bring your own beer, sorry I mean lunch?

I like the banner off the website it looks like that plane is going to land on a bunch of ginnys, funny....

I'm up for one of the march or april dates...to many bad habits and not enough common sense....sweet

DR

The Stranger
7th February 2007, 14:45
hey

How long is the course?

What time of day does it start at?

Do you need to bring your own beer, sorry I mean lunch?

I like the banner off the website it looks like that plane is going to land on a bunch of ginnys, funny....

I'm up for one of the march or april dates...to many bad habits and not enough common sense....sweet

DR

8.5hrs (inc lunch)
8:30am
Yes, need you own beer - once in, you can't go out and return.
Yes - we provide some unique obstacles.
Cool - should get your booking in early if Jan was anything to go by.

Disco Dan
8th February 2007, 23:52
8.5hrs (inc lunch)
8:30am
Yes, need you own beer - once in, you can't go out and return.
Yes - we provide some unique obstacles.
Cool - should get your booking in early if Jan was anything to go by.

a little bird told me its free the second time you go? is that true?

The Stranger
9th February 2007, 09:03
a little bird told me its free the second time you go? is that true?

I am 99% sure it is and half price the third time. Not sure what happens the fourth time though.

Yes we do get people back twice quite frequently and some thrice.

The Stranger
13th March 2007, 19:30
They are on the third Sunday of each month, except December and February. So the next one is the 18th of march.

Bump.
Come on all those thinking about this - time to step up.

Disco Dan
16th March 2007, 02:03
Bump.
Come on all those thinking about this - time to step up.

18th March... Thats THIS sunday!

Not too late to tootle along is it??? Is it weather dependant?

The Stranger
16th March 2007, 09:07
18th March... Thats THIS sunday!

Not too late to tootle along is it??? Is it weather dependant?

When last I spoke with the man this class wasn't too full, so you should be ok to rock up on the day.
We very rarely cancel, only if we get both high wind and heavy rain.
You will actually get more out of it if it is raining.

The Stranger
12th April 2007, 11:39
Bump!!

Course is on this Sunday the 15th

Winter
12th April 2007, 14:15
I would love to attend, but I would have to leave at 2pm so I can get to work on time..
Would it be worth going for the morning and leaving early?

The Stranger
12th April 2007, 14:34
I would love to attend, but I would have to leave at 2pm so I can get to work on time..
Would it be worth going for the morning and leaving early?

Yep.
It's free to return a second time, so you could either attend again on another date which you have free or perhaps do the rest of it later.
Personally I feel that the more important stuff is covered off first anyway.

The Stranger
10th May 2007, 12:42
Bump...
Ok, time for all you procrastinators to put away your excuses.
Next one is the 20th of May.

MSTRS
10th May 2007, 12:45
Bump...
Ok, time for all you procrastinators to put away your excuses.
Next one is the 20th of May.

Or the 13th May in Napier for the desperate. Or the closer....

Black Bandit
21st May 2007, 11:03
Cheers everyone at the RRRS course. I had a great day this past Sunday, 20 May 07. Highly recommend the course to anyone still on the fence - I should have gone ages ago but never got round to getting my arse into gear. Everyone can benefit from these days. Emergency braking was the best - smoking up those tyres :Punk: . Let's hope I dont have to use that skill too often in real emergencies.

Had a real good mix of riders too; 250s, Harleys, BMW, scooter. Man do those Harleys shake, rattle and roll. :D

The Stranger
21st May 2007, 11:12
Cheers everyone at the RRRS course. I had a great day this past Sunday, 20 May 07. Highly recommend the course to anyone still on the fence - I should have gone ages ago but never got round to getting my arse into gear. Everyone can benefit from these days. Emergency braking was the best - smoking up those tyres :Punk: . Let's hope I dont have to use that skill too often in real emergencies.

Had a real good mix of riders too; 250s, Harleys, BMW, scooter. Man do those Harleys shake, rattle and roll. :D

Yeah, just want to make the point that smoking your tyres when braking is not actually the object of the exercise aye.

The Stranger
11th June 2007, 15:17
It is a riding school developed and run by BRONZ members.

One of the aims of BRONZ (Biker Rights Organisation Of New Zealand) is "To promote road safety through road user education"

So this course is run by BRONZ members as part of an attempt to meet that goal.

The course is aimed at road riding, NOT the track. So no good coming along to learn how to best set up your suspension for racing or to get yer knee down.

We meet the third Sunday of each month (mostly) at the Whenuapai air base and they let us use some largely unused runway for running the course.

As it is staffed by volunteers the charge is very low ($50.00) we essentailly just aim to cover costs.

What you get is access to some bloody experienced instructors and great advice on most any motorcycling subject. There are usually about 8 instructors and a maximum of about 20 students so there is a lot of one on one time and you get the benefit of different views and ideas from the different instructors.

The day is about 50/50 theory and practical split into 4 sections so you get to try out what you have just been through in the class.

Can we teach you anything you don't already know?
First time I went helped out with an away class was for a Ulysses organised event. Some of these guy had been riding longer than I have been alive. I am thinking WTF are we going to teach them. But without exception the class was well recieved and all said they learned something. So weather you have been riding for 40yrs, or you are returning to riding or just starting out I really believe we can be of benefit.

RRRS is now being run in Dunedin as a joint effort between the Otago Motorcycle Club and BRONZ Otago. Big ups to ACC for their assistance with setting this up.

Check out the RRRS web site (http://www.rrrs.org.nz) for more information.

Time for a bump again. Next one is this Sunday 17th of June.

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 16:07
Time for a bump again. Next one is this Sunday 17th of June.

Dam it thats my birthday thats unfair...when is the one after that...might have to make another trip up I think

Mrs Busa Pete
11th June 2007, 16:10
Dam it thats my birthday thats unfair...when is the one after that...might have to make another trip up I think

Will your bike be finished for you to ride up for the next one.

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 16:12
Will your bike be finished for you to ride up for the next one.

Depends on when it is...might have to ask the kind folks up there for a loan of a 250 so I can do it. I missed it when it was down here and I really want to have a go

The Stranger
11th June 2007, 16:14
Dam it thats my birthday thats unfair...

Don't worry mate, we all get older.

when is the one after that...might have to make another trip up I think

15th of July, you'll need it by then - to get rid of all those bad habits you get taught down there. Come up and stay with Wendy and you'll get a whole lot of new ones.

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 16:20
Don't worry mate, we all get older.

15th of July, you'll need it by then - to get rid of all those bad habits you get taught down there. Come up and stay with Wendy and you'll get a whole lot of new ones.

if it means a good excuse to drink with wendy again I'm there :yes:

Mrs Busa Pete
11th June 2007, 16:21
if it means a good excuse to drink with wendy again I'm there :yes:

No problem bed booked

Maha
11th June 2007, 16:24
Depends on when it is...might have to ask the kind folks up there, I really want to have a go

Im sure the hands are being raised as we speak, very obliging people up this way and letting others have a go is at the top of the list for some...:yes:

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 16:44
Unfortuantely just checked my diary and this clashes with my monthly family visit and also I'm supposed to be playing darts....Just trying to get out of it though as I can't make the August one as I'm in Surfers. Wendy, I will confirm after this weekend about that date if thats ok

yungatart
11th June 2007, 19:02
Hey, Stikchik, we will run another one down here.....maybe over summer.
You are quite safe riding with us, none of us have bad habits - the Stranger beat them all out of us when he was down here, with liberal serial installments from he who dropped his bike!

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 20:10
Well it looks like I'll have to find another excuse to drink with Wendy then

Mrs Busa Pete
12th June 2007, 06:18
:third:
Well it looks like I'll have to find another excuse to drink with Wendy then

Hay chick we don't need an excuse

klingon
7th July 2007, 17:36
Yay! I'm going to enrol for Sunday 15 July. Who else is planning to do it this month? :scooter:

Stirts
10th July 2007, 10:37
Yay! I'm going to enrol for Sunday 15 July. Who else is planning to do it this month? :scooter:

YAYE....me finally got off me procrastinating ass :shit: and sent my registration yesterday for this Sunday :yes:

Skyryder
28th September 2007, 15:38
What is Ride Right Ride Safe?

Answer. Getting home in the same condition that you left.

Skyryder

M1CRO
30th September 2007, 21:02
Not sure how long these photos will be here, but suffice to say a great day had by all :drool:

Thanks to Dave Cohen for the Pics @ http://www.rrrs.org.nz/bronzhogs/index.htm

The Stranger
4th November 2007, 19:08
Last RRRS for the year is on the 18th of November.
Next one after that is the 13th of January 08, the 2nd Sunday, not the 3rd as is usual.
None is Feb due to the BOS.
So if you are contemplating attending, now is the time to act!

The Stranger
14th April 2008, 22:56
Ok, it's on again this Sunday - 20/04/08.

Mully
15th April 2008, 08:58
Cheers bud. Your website is a bit out of date too.

The Stranger
17th April 2008, 10:34
THIS COURSE ONLY (20/04/08) I have some $50.00 vouchers from ACC which can be redeemed against the RRRS course.

You still got to pay, but once you have done the course you can claim $50.00 back from ACC.

The course costs $50.00, you do the math.

I have 4 vouchers here and there are 6 places left on the this course at last count.
PM me if you are interested.

klingon
17th April 2008, 11:10
OK I'm definitely doing it on Sunday (didn't do it back in July after all...) Apparently I don't need an ACC voucher because John Baker Insurance will refund my $50 after I do the course! Hooray for them!

Really what more could you want - an excellent course, and this month it's FREE! :woohoo:

The Stranger
17th April 2008, 12:11
OK I'm definitely doing it on Sunday (didn't do it back in July after all...) Apparently I don't need an ACC voucher because John Baker Insurance will refund my $50 after I do the course! Hooray for them!

Really what more could you want - an excellent course, and this month it's FREE! :woohoo:

You do realise you could actually make money here, who would know if you collected from John Baker and from ACC.
But I didn't say that.

Squiggles
17th April 2008, 13:16
I be coming in June with the Uni club, we got 21/22 places filled :P and half is being paid for by the university :D

klingon
17th April 2008, 14:29
You do realise you could actually make money here, who would know if you collected from John Baker and from ACC.
But I didn't say that.

Ooooh that's just naughty!
*klingon runs around collecting up ACC vouchers and becomes a millionaire*

But then someone else might miss out and I couldn't live with myself!

Go on everyone, put me out of my dilemma and snap up those ACC vouchers!

I be coming in June with the Uni club, we got 21/22 places filled :P and half is being paid for by the university :D

Oooh that's a great scheme. Good one for the Uni stumping up and looking after you. :niceone:

Choco
17th April 2008, 18:14
RRRS is still going? sweet! I found your site a wee while back but it seemed rather dead.

I'l see if I'm free and let you know.

Edit: PM'd.

Neon
17th April 2008, 19:19
I'm all signed up for Sunday so I'll see you all there!

:woohoo:

trevsnz
5th June 2008, 08:14
I'm looking at going on the 29 June, just waiting on a friend to see if he's also available that day as well. Sounds like a good course to do to see what bad habits I've might of picked up over the years :scooter:

nudedaytona
16th July 2008, 13:33
Has anyone done the ride right ride safe course lately, and would they recommend it? It seems like a great deal at $50 for a whole day.

I'm looking at doing it soon, just to learn a few new things and give me a bit more confidence before I sit my full licence. (I don't care that it won't reduce the restricted time because I've already been on my restricted for the full period anyway).

But you can just about guarantee that the weather probably won't be that flash. Is it worth doing if the weather is poor?

The Stranger
16th July 2008, 13:59
Has anyone done the ride right ride safe course lately, and would they recommend it? It seems like a great deal at $50 for a whole day.

But you can just about guarantee that the weather probably won't be that flash. Is it worth doing if the weather is poor?

It is an excellent deal and I heartily recommend it. But I would say that wouldn't I.

Re the weather - it's best done wet.
Even if you plan on never riding in the wet, you will get caught out some time. If you can do this shit in the wet, well it's easier in the dry.

We only cancel if there is high winds as it makes it quite a challenge to do the course when the course is moving all over the runway.

nudedaytona
16th July 2008, 14:16
Is some of the course done at open road speads, or is it all slow riding around cones?

I've got a two-stroke so I don't really do slow, well at least not all day long, that's real tough going.

Gubb
16th July 2008, 14:32
To be good fast, you must first master slow.

The Stranger
16th July 2008, 14:35
Is some of the course done at open road speads, or is it all slow riding around cones?

I've got a two-stroke so I don't really do slow, well at least not all day long, that's real tough going.

It is all low speed, from walking pace to 40kph.
The same principals apply to low speed work as high speed.

There is no reason why you can't give your bike a bit of stick now and then though to clear it out. But if you are saying it can't handle 5 minutes at a time at low speed then it will indeed be a problem.

We do have people turn up on 2 strokes not infrequently and complete the course just fine.

nudedaytona
16th July 2008, 14:47
5 minutes at a time is fine. No trouble there

nudedaytona
16th July 2008, 14:59
To be good fast, you must first master slow.

Mr Miyagi: "Wax on ... wax off ... wax on ...wax off"

swedencamilla
16th July 2008, 17:29
Is anyone aware of anything similar in the Wellington region at all? I would be very keen, once my skill level is up a bit.

The Stranger
16th July 2008, 17:40
Is anyone aware of anything similar in the Wellington region at all? I would be very keen, once my skill level is up a bit.

RRRS runs in both Auckland and Dunedin and I don't believe there is anything similar elsewhere.
There are various other organisations and individuals whom can provide you with training obviously, however they tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

klingon
16th July 2008, 22:47

Yes I have
Yes I would
Yes it is

I did it a couple of months ago and it was well worth the time, and amazing value for money. Highly recommended.

Choco
23rd July 2008, 16:03
Hi there!
Got a friend who wants to do the course but wants me to go with him. I've already done the course about 5 months ago and wouldn't mind doing it again on my new bike.

I think I remember someone saying I can do it for free if it's within 12months correct?

You guys run and awesome course (at an awesome price too!) so keep up the good work!

Choco.

The Stranger
23rd July 2008, 16:34
Hi there!
Got a friend who wants to do the course but wants me to go with him. I've already done the course about 5 months ago and wouldn't mind doing it again on my new bike.

I think I remember someone saying I can do it for free if it's within 12months correct?

You guys run and awesome course (at an awesome price too!) so keep up the good work!

Choco.

Correct.
Free if within 12 months, half price thereafter.
We do get quite a few people return, it is a lot to absorb in one day.

Choco
23rd July 2008, 17:10
Correct.
Free if within 12 months, half price thereafter.
We do get quite a few people return, it is a lot to absorb in one day.

Thanks Stranger, I'll find a good date with my mate and get things sorted.
Also, do you know if I need to prove I completed the course? if so how?

The Stranger
23rd July 2008, 17:36
Also, do you know if I need to prove I completed the course? if so how?

Buggered if I know, but somehow I doubt you will have any problem there.
1) Between us we usually recognise those that we have seen a person before.
2) We do have records of those that have attended anyway.
3) We are non profit and all volunteers anyway so don't get too stickly over things like this.

Let Finn know when you book that you are returning and IF you do have any trouble in this regard flick me a PM and I will sort it out.

Choco
23rd July 2008, 22:24
Buggered if I know, but somehow I doubt you will have any problem there.
1) Between us we usually recognise those that we have seen a person before.
2) We do have records of those that have attended anyway.
3) We are non profit and all volunteers anyway so don't get too stickly over things like this.

Let Finn know when you book that you are returning and IF you do have any trouble in this regard flick me a PM and I will sort it out.

Thanks for answering all my questions, Might see you at the next course :niceone:

klingon
24th July 2008, 21:28
Yeah ChocolateWheels, you were on the same course as me so I can vouch for you! I think we're meant to get some kind of certificate to prove we've done the course (I need it for my insurance company) but mine hasn't arrived yet. I wonder if all of us on that course didn't get one?

Will check with Peggy.

Choco
25th July 2008, 18:34
Yeah ChocolateWheels, you were on the same course as me so I can vouch for you! I think we're meant to get some kind of certificate to prove we've done the course (I need it for my insurance company) but mine hasn't arrived yet. I wonder if all of us on that course didn't get one?

Will check with Peggy.

Haha, cool! You had the Red GN-like bike right?
I never got a certificate (didnt know if we're given one) but i'm sure you can get a piece of card with some scribbles on it made up :laugh:

gunnyrob
20th October 2008, 18:49
[QUOTE=nudedaytona;1649218]Has anyone done the ride right ride safe course lately, and would they recommend it? It seems like a great deal at $50 for a whole day.

QUOTE]

Did the RRRS course yesterday. Was excellent & recommend it to all.

MarkH
20th October 2008, 22:01
I was also there and think it was well worth it.

It won't make you a perfect rider in one day, but it gets you to think about a few things. Having experienced riders watch you while you corner, dodge and emergency brake and telling you things they can see you doing wrong is pretty valuable. After the course you think about the way you do things and you have things that you realise you should practise.
If you make a habit of doing things the right way then you are more likely to react the right way in an emergency situation - that alone could save your life one day.

$50 is a bargain compared to any other rider training you can find. Not only that but you can pay $50 to do the course, then practise stuff you learnt for a few months, then do the course again for free and let the trainers see if you are doing things right. That's 2 days of training for $50!

If you think about it:
When do you want to learn you aren't emergency braking as well as you could - when you are in an emergency or at a course on a Sunday?

Mully
19th January 2009, 08:40
Hi all,

Did the course yesterday and completely recommend it. Always good to have someone tell you about any bad habits/complacency in a controlled environment.

EatOrBeEaten
19th January 2009, 10:07
Will definitely be at the next one of these I think- looks great!

Andix
8th March 2009, 13:15
Looking for refresh/mentor assistance. Just returned to biking after 8 years out of it & need to boost the confidence & road awareness. Can you help please? Cheers Andrea :banana:

The Stranger
9th March 2009, 07:59
Looking for refresh/mentor assistance. Just returned to biking after 8 years out of it & need to boost the confidence & road awareness. Can you help please? Cheers Andrea :banana:

The next course is on this coming Sunday (15/03) and would be ideal for you.
If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I'll sorte em out.

Big Dave
9th March 2009, 09:59

What are next week's lotto numbers?

The Stranger
9th March 2009, 11:11
What are next week's lotto numbers?

3, 8, 17, 29, 30, 36 lucky number 22 and power ball 4
Anything else?

Andix
9th March 2009, 22:21
The next course is on this coming Sunday (15/03) and would be ideal for you.

Sorry not around Sunday 15th March. When is the next course?
Cheers
Andrea

The Stranger
10th March 2009, 07:06
Sorry not around Sunday 15th March. When is the next course?
Cheers
Andrea

Courses are held the 3rd sunday of each month except Feb and Dec. So the following one is 19/04/09

Andix
10th March 2009, 19:54
Sorry not enough posts to let me pm yet!!!! Please could you add me to the April course or send me a pm that I can reply to. Cheers
Andrea

jam mad
7th June 2009, 19:14
the rrrs.org.nz website is down... i hope this doesn't mean the courses have become a casualty of this damn global recession thing....

JBJB
23rd June 2009, 21:40
Just went through the RRRS course this last Sunday and it was excellent! Concise and clear theory and plenty of practice. Awesome people running it who obviously have heaps of riding under their belts and had a lot of wisdom to offer. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn't done one yet :yes:

Definitely the best $50 I have spent in a while...

Shiny side up
28th June 2009, 20:54
Is there anyone that takes upskilling in the waikato? Hamilton? At least now I know what I don't know.

4LEX
21st July 2009, 22:24
hi,Noel
could not PM u,due to the forum rules,so had to post here
as we spoke last sunday u suggested u'd refer me to mentors in my area(north shore),so how do i find them?
cheers,Alex

Winter
10th January 2010, 08:07
Bump?

The website calendar seems to peter out about November 2009.

Is this continuing into 2010?

thehovel
10th January 2010, 16:20
Bump?

Hi The NASS is up and running starting Wednassday 13th January Regards Richard

Squiggles
11th January 2010, 12:19
Bump?

See here: http://www.bronz.org.nz/riderightridesafe.html
Reg Form with the dates for 2010: http://www.bronz.org.nz/downloads/2008RideRightRideSafeRegistration.pdf

Qkchk
13th January 2010, 15:10
Hi The NASS is up and running starting Wednassday 13th January Regards Richard

I will re-instate it for 2010

ScarFace
18th January 2010, 08:53
Is there anyone that takes upskilling in the waikato? Hamilton? At least now I know what I don't know.

I would also be keen on a RRRS course in Hamilton, any plans to come down here?

The Stranger
21st January 2010, 16:41
I would also be keen on a RRRS course in Hamilton, any plans to come down here?

Not specifically. We can and have taken the show on the road, but it needs someone sufficiently motivated in the area to do some organisation.
You can always billet and do the course up here though.

putput
6th April 2010, 17:28
Gidday,
Are you still doing the ride safe courses? if not am I ablle to organise a mentor via you?

Cheers Tim

The Stranger
6th April 2010, 19:12
Gidday,
Are you still doing the ride safe courses? if not am I ablle to organise a mentor via you?

Cheers Tim

Yes we are still doing the RRRS courses. Generally the third Sunday of each month.
We can no longer accept entries on the day, the air force require names and addresses 5 days in advance now.
But you can also organise a mentor. I'll PM you, hopefully you can PM me back.

Bison
11th February 2013, 06:22
Images from the Auckland course attached

Geeze....that airplane hazard must be difficult to handle? Is that a brake & avoid type of exercise? :confused:

Smallfishnz
3rd July 2013, 20:12
For anyone interested the next course is 21 July 2013

The normal website is done at the moment (paperwork problems) the test site is running if you want to check it out http://hcs.org.nz/wordpress/ Sorry the Paypal button is not working yet, so payment is by cheque or Internet Banking.

See you on the course

Smallfishnz
23rd July 2013, 16:27
The next course is 18 August 2013, Summer is coming up fast, now is the time to sharpen your skills

GDOBSSOR
29th July 2013, 21:02
Probs been asked before, but any RRRS courses being held in Welly? If yes - where and when?

Smallfishnz
3rd August 2013, 22:18
Sorry no we do not have anything in Wellington, I would suggest you try Roadsafe training http://www.roadsafe.co.nz/ as an alternative.
Thanks for asking

tw0lly
5th September 2013, 21:45
Sorry no we do not have anything in Wellington, I would suggest you try Roadsafe training http://www.roadsafe.co.nz/ as an alternative.
Thanks for asking

Hey Hamiltonion here, learner rider, looking to up my skills on the road. What would you suggest? Cheers

Smallfishnz
6th September 2013, 17:22
Hey Hamiltonion here, learner rider, looking to up my skills on the road. What would you suggest? Cheers

You could try http://www.roadsafe.co.nz/subsidised-training-hamilton-city-council-skills-training

They are a subsidised course so will be reasonable priced

Smallfishnz
6th November 2013, 07:11
The next course is 17 November 2013

The normal website is done at the moment (paperwork problems) the test site is running if you want to check it out http://hcs.org.nz/wordpress/
Sorry the Paypal button is not working yet, so payment is by cheque or Internet Banking.

See you on the course

Smallfishnz
23rd November 2013, 14:58
Hi all
The next course is 19 January 2014 (nothing in December 2013, too close to Christmas) and then the next one is 16 March 2014.

The website is up and running again www.rrrs.org.nz

Cheers

Stevee2
26th November 2013, 13:14
I'm keen to attend the January one, how does one go about booking?

Smallfishnz
27th November 2013, 06:16
I'm keen to attend the January one, how does one go about booking?

Go to www.rrrs.org.nz fill in the online form or download the PDF and snail mail it to us.

Pay by internet banking and you are all set
Cheers

Smallfishnz
19th January 2014, 20:40
Next course 16 March, no course in February, we are off the to the Pairoa Street races

Smallfishnz
4th April 2014, 21:10
The next course is 18 May as April is Easter

madmartin
3rd May 2014, 19:03
So my partner does a Ride Safe course today, comes home with another head full of bad and downright dangerous advice from these ulysses idiots on their Honda St1300 cop bikes. Where do this ignorant fucks get off? That's your tax money they're misusing there people. ACC obviously thinks that creating MORE motorcycle accident statistics is in their favour.

Blackbird
3rd May 2014, 19:20
So my partner does a Ride Safe course today, comes home with another head full of bad and downright dangerous advice from these ulysses idiots on their Honda St1300 cop bikes.

Specifics?

madmartin
3rd May 2014, 19:21
"always ride on your instep":brick:

maybe if you only ever take your motorcycle to 5deg of lean that works, but i pity the poor clown that then gets their foot trapped under the gear lever half way around a left hander after listening to that kind of nonsense

tamarillo
8th May 2014, 18:24
"always ride on your instep":brick:

maybe if you only ever take your motorcycle to 5deg of lean that works, but i pity the poor clown that then gets their foot trapped under the gear lever half way around a left hander after listening to that kind of nonsense

Is that it? Come on if you're going to be so rude and unpleasant at least back it up,with some real evidence.
Every course ever done had some advice that didn't suit me, or was contrary to others. But every course ever was an opportunity to learn and if your partner learnt nothing I suggest that is there fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Smallfishnz
18th May 2014, 21:21
4 students today, the next course is 15 June

Smallfishnz
24th August 2014, 20:07
The next course is September 21, in October we are having it on Saturday 18 instead of Sunday for those who can't make Sundays