PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy your cruiser?

White trash
5th May 2004, 09:33
There seem to be a few more cruiser riders joining which is great.

I'm interested as to why you bought yours. I get alot of coments at work from Japanese cruiser buyers that it's an interim step to getting a Harley Davidson later on.

I'm sure not everyone feels this way but I'm curious.

duckman
5th May 2004, 09:45
There seem to be a few more cruiser riders joining which is great.

I'm interested as to why you bought yours. I get alot of coments at work from Japanese cruiser buyers that it's an interim step to getting a Harley Davidson later on.

I'm sure not everyone feels this way but I'm curious.
I have to wonder if people say that it's an interim step just so they don't get shit from poeple who consider harleys the only cruiser to own. :shifty:

James Deuce
5th May 2004, 09:47
If I could afford two bikes, one would be a sporting twin, and the other would be one of the Japanese mega-cruisers that have popped up of late.

Holy Roller
5th May 2004, 09:52
I've noticed a signature "Who dares Bins" Sport bikes just go to fast at least with cruisers one knows that there is a lower rideability limit and it seems that IMHO and some experience one is less likely to bin on a cruiser (only bike I have not binned on) may be just that I'm getting older and it takes longer to recover. Or that I know my limits and don't need to push them so much these days. I've always liked choppers right back when easy rider came out and the local boys chopped their bikes. Not really interested in a Harley (takes too much looking after :shifty: ) A Jappa Harley is me.

jrandom
5th May 2004, 09:53
I have to wonder if people say that it's an interim step just so they don't get shit from poeple who consider harleys the only cruiser to own. :shifty:

Well, my FXR is an interim step to an F4-1000, but I still get shit from people who consider anything above 599cc the only sportbike to own...

Oops. Sorry. 'Sportbike'. I'll just go wash my mouth out then.

Uh...

Sissy bars! Ape hangers! Loud pipes! Bandannas! Yeah!

As you were.

Motoracer
5th May 2004, 09:53
I thought the 2004 Valkerie with dark blue/purple colour with shit loads of chrome at the Honda stand in Paeroa was very tasty. Wouldn't mind owning one of them beasty things, money permiting.

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 11:44
At 5'2" dripping wet, Mrs H has few options for riding bikes that aren't cruisers. Adventure bikes -- forget it. Sports bikes -- not a chance. Tourers -- Unlikely. Bikes really are quite discriminatory when it comes to the vertically challenged! It's not just seat height or width issues either. Tank shape and bar grip location is also a consideration.

jrandom
5th May 2004, 12:11
5'2" dripping wet

Your posts and my gutter-like imagination seem to be working well together recently.

Ghost Lemur
5th May 2004, 12:27
At 5'2" dripping wet, Mrs H has few options for riding bikes that aren't cruisers. Adventure bikes -- forget it. Sports bikes -- not a chance. Tourers -- Unlikely. Bikes really are quite discriminatory when it comes to the vertically challenged! It's not just seat height or width issues either. Tank shape and bar grip location is also a consideration.

That's one thing that still puzzles me. All these bikes are built by the Japanese. I mean hello, these guys aren't exactly the tallest in the world. So why is there still such a problem with bike size?

toads
5th May 2004, 15:27
Well I've just come back from an awesome blat on my bike and have to say I just love everything about cruiser bikes, low seat height, all the chrome and that lovely noise!!, forgot to mention the apehangers, it's not even age related, I sold my gn 250 last nite to a 16 yr old who loves the look of them. I have to say I appreciate having the 400 tho, so nice around corners :ride:

Jackrat
5th May 2004, 15:40
That's one thing that still puzzles me. All these bikes are built by the Japanese. I mean hello, these guys aren't exactly the tallest in the world. So why is there still such a problem with bike size?
I always wondered about that too,but I think it's because the American market it what they target an some of them folks ain't small.
As to the question at hand I know my inlaw bought his because of seat hight
and style.Anybody calls my XS a cruiser even if it was one of the first custom type bikes,, I am going to get upset.As far as I'm concerned they should of left them as they were but that's that USA market thing again.

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 16:06
Your posts and my gutter-like imagination seem to be working well together recently.

Funny that, I'd noticed the same thing...

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 17:25
You wanna try 6'3" then. all bike designers seem to model their bike on 5'6" 65kg (if you differ from this expect to have to modify your ride.)being a good compromise. This is more exagerated in sports bikes as they are often modeled on the current number one rider for the team.

As to accessories try and buy a quality helmet over 63" :finger:
or Pants over 3xl that allow enough room for the tadger let alonme a wet badger :finger:
Jackets are no problem in fact they are often cheaper in larger sizes due to lack of demand x easier to make.

Hitcher
5th May 2004, 17:27
You wanna try 6'3" then. all bike designers seem to model their bike on 5'6" 65kg

As to accessories try and buy a quality helmet over 63"

*Sigh* Rock on brother! The only sports bike I've sat on recently where I can easily read the instrument cluster is the ZX10 (That's at 6'1". BD may find this a bit constrained). On a Honda CBR1000RR it's easier to sit a bit taller and read the display THROUGH the screen, rather than try and limbo dance under it...

As for helmets (said the cranially challenged 64"er), all that can be said is "God bless you Mr Shoei" (even though you only get a Henry Ford choice), the best helmet maker in the world!!

Big Dog
5th May 2004, 17:30
For my old xs I would have voted cos it cost $5k less than the equivilent sports bike (turned out to be more bike than I was rider at the time, lucky I couldn't afford a r spec then eh?)but you did not include cheaper cost price as an option (in my experience maintenance is just as frequent but costs more as lower spec parts are usually lower quality too.

RoadStar
5th May 2004, 20:38
For me it was the whole concept, the looks, the ride, the price.

RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE....LIKE WHAT YOU RIDE!!!

Big Dog
6th May 2004, 16:56
Given unlimited bucks.
In order of importance,
Sport tourer. To comute but still have the power on the stop and the go.

Dirt bike. Speaks for itself. + to sharpen skid / drift / stunt skills.

Cruiser. Speaks for itself. (The whole James Dean thing) when you don't feel like pushing it and don't want to be tempted to "drop a patch and go crystal".

Track bike. Speaks for itself. I don't see racing as a priority but it looks like fun and it would be good for extending my road skills.

Skyryder
9th May 2004, 17:31
Why did I buy a cruiser :scooter: So I could wear bulky gear and hide my paunch. :sunny:

Skyryder :spudwave:

Deebeeriz
14th May 2004, 20:37
because i liked the style. at 55 im past the road rocket stage. I no longer drag other bikers at the lights. if you ride a cruiser with a leather jacket and dirty jeans you get respect from cage drivers ,they think you must be a bad ass. drive a crotch rocket in the same gear and the dont give a shit

hondav2
1st June 2004, 20:13
I bought a heritage classic because there great if your got all day to go no where and see everything and you can carry heaps of gear, Just love the foot boards hookin up at 120kmh and gettin the tail endfishtailin up the road. Great vacation bike. got 2 crotch rockets for when in ridin with the sports bikes. Just learnin how 2 handle me new cbr1000rr. Cheers Toddy

Mongoose
6th June 2004, 20:47
Why did I buy a cruiser :scooter: So I could wear bulky gear and hide my paunch. :sunny:

Skyryder :spudwave:

So I could sit up and see where I am going, bung neck dont like the * dog shagging a hockey ball* stance of the race brigade. Carry a swag of gear and wait for my paunch to grow. :shake:

Wenier
18th June 2004, 15:35
being 19 i cant go past a road rocket so the cruiser dont interest me yet but one day i might be caught by the style and look of em. But it is great to see the guys on cruiser still given them a good go and havin a great time at it.

scumdog
21st June 2004, 13:59
Comfort (o.k a Sporty ain't a REAL cruiser) and riding position.
Me 'n Mrs SD can go on a long trip and not feel buggered at the end of the day, even the trip from Nelson to Ch-ch was o.k. except for the rain, Mrs SD didn't like that - not for 4hrs constant..

Hitcher
21st June 2004, 14:00
Comfort (o.k a Sporty ain't a REAL cruiser) and riding position.
Me 'n Mrs SD can go on a long trip and not feel buggered at the end of the day, even the trip from Nelson to Ch-ch was o.k. except for the rain, Mrs SD didn't like that - not for 4hrs constant..

May I suggest that you get Mrs SD her own ride?

750Y
21st June 2004, 15:59
I would love to own a cruiser to take the mrs on the back on some nice scenic cruises.
A tourer would be great to eat up the miles in comfort.
the tourer of choice for me would be a hyabusa & the cruiser would be an hd fxrs-sp.
dream on dream on (sigh)

MeHigh
23rd June 2004, 00:46
I bought ma baby to ride it at 80k/h with a tunder like sound, sitting like I don't care and wrepped in black leather... that's ma hobby :ride:

Dr Bob
23rd June 2004, 10:26
I second that about how big you are, I own an immobile XV750 and a working XJ750 (naked) and was recently considering trading up. I road tested an RF900, an XJR1200, and a GS1200ss. The RF and the XJR were both too small! My knees were rubbing on the fairing, the only way I could have ridden them is to go back on the seat (difficult when they amourall them in the showroom to make them look shiny) or to stick my knees out. A cruiser inevitably has some freedom of movement, whereas a sports bike is going to fit you or not (but most sports bikes you seem to sit on top of like a pimple).

jrandom
23rd June 2004, 10:36
A cruiser inevitably has some freedom of movement, whereas a sports bike is going to fit you or not (but most sports bikes you seem to sit on top of like a pimple).

I find that cruisers give me a very uncomfortable lower back after an hour or so of riding. And my main problem with sportbike riding positions isn't the weight on the wrists, it's my legs - I can't handle really high pegs, they just kill my knees. In the words of Treebeard, I am not very, hmmmmm, flexible.

But then, at 175cm, I'm more or less average height, so just about any bike fits me OK.

If you find your knees encountering fairings, and you feel like a pimple on the back of most sportbikes, can I suggest keeping an eye out for a decently-priced 'busa? Tall guys seem to like the 'sitting in' rather than 'sitting on' ergos.

Dr Bob
23rd June 2004, 10:47
......If you find your knees encountering fairings, and you feel like a pimple on the back of most sportbikes, can I suggest keeping an eye out for a decently-priced 'busa? Tall guys seem to like the 'sitting in' rather than 'sitting on' ergos.

That's exactly why I liked the GS1200ss, the Suzukis tended to have a 'sitting in' position, and the GS had lower footpegs than the more race pedigree GSX's. I fitted this bike perfectly, but they wouldn't take my bike as a trade-in, so I did some work to it and I think I might just ride it into the ground (although this may take another 5 years).

Dr Bob
23rd June 2004, 11:18
To answer the question...

I didn't respond to the pole because I really don't know whether one answer was right for me.. it had to do with price, availablity, condition etc. although I obviousley liked the cruiser style because having gone from a CB125t and CB350 I had plenty of choice because I bought a new bike and opted for a CX400, I then traded that in on the XV750 about 15 years ago and I still have it. Now I am sure that one style is not enough for me, I think I would like any type of bike if it was comfortable enough.

vifferman
23rd June 2004, 11:29
I find that cruisers give me a very uncomfortable lower back after an hour or so of riding.
That's quite a common complaint, and is entirely to do with the typical cruiser seating position tending to curve your spine the wrong way. That and the fact that if it has a 'feet forward' riding position, any jolts from bumps are going to be transmitted straight up through your tailbone to your (wrongly curved) spine, as you can't use your legs to absorb any of the shock.

jrandom
23rd June 2004, 11:50
That and the fact that if it has a 'feet forward' riding position, any jolts from bumps are going to be transmitted straight up through your tailbone to your (wrongly curved) spine, as you can't use your legs to absorb any of the shock.

Yes, that sounds familiar.

I recall getting quite annoyed when I rode a GZ250 loaner for a few days as attempts to hitch my arse forwards and put some weight on the pegs kept failing. Ended up trying to ride it like a dirtbike with my elbows bent back, half-sitting on the tank. It was either that, or lean far enough back that I could get my spine into a proper shape, which just ended up looking bloody ridiculous.

I don't think I want to commute on a cruiser again.

scumdog
23rd June 2004, 17:07
I bought ma baby to ride it at 80k/h with a tunder like sound, sitting like I don't care and wrepped in black leather... that's ma hobby :ride:

Yeah, sort of my reason too but mainly because I wanted a bike like that - after all why have a bike you didn't want :rolleyes:

I grew up when Easy Rider was cool and first appeared on the screen (tickets for the 'flicks cost 15c for the good seats then) but wanted a bike that was more suited to N.Z. roads than a hard-tail with long forks, (still like the look though)

Still reckon a 1200S is the best handling etc of the Harleys (unmodified that is) :bleh:

Bob
24th June 2004, 00:16

My wife has the same problem. She is even shorter than Mrs H (barely 5 foot in her bare feet), so cruisers made sense.

Her bike is an XV250 Virago. Reason for that particular bike is she passed her test last year - and in England the rules are that you spend 2 years restricted to 33bhp (don't ask for the metric conversion, I cannot get my head around it!). The XV250 is 20bhp - but can still make 75 on a good day with a tailwind!

We bought it before she passed - good incentive! I didn't want her to buy a 125cc bike (max size for a learner over here), so by getting a 250, it really pushed her to get it right and take possession of her bike from me!

Have to say I love riding it when I get the chance - very different experience from my SV, but that is part of the fun for me.

If you want a look at some pix, take a look at this link to a review of it I wrote (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/xv250.htm)

The Preacher
6th January 2005, 19:44
Many moons ago when speed meant everything to a young buck the way was Triumph. Now as age has moved sky ward and the mountain now has a downward tilt the cruiser has become the bike to own.

When travelling at 50Kph through town in top gear and to just open the throttle slightly reaching the open road speed limit while still leaving cars in your trail, then who needs a road bike or at that matter gears :niceone:

Holy Roller
6th January 2005, 21:24
I thought the 2004 Valkerie with dark blue/purple colour with shit loads of chrome at the Honda stand in Paeroa was very tasty. Wouldn't mind owning one of them beasty things, money permiting.
http://www.championroswell.com/Honda/2004/rune/Rune-sm.jpg

Personally I think the Rocket has the better looks.
Why has the later models gone so wide, seat tank? The slim version of the XV1100 Virago I think would be more rideable than the beasty XV1100 out now. I guess that is how style goes ay. Next bike may be a Guzzi or a trumpy Bonnie America but in reality may have to settle for a VT750 Honda or a VL 800 but will be a cruiser type. I've not noticed any back pain on my XV and my back isn't what it used to be. Cruisers are bikes that you can see where you are going rather than lifting the head to see, but I guess its what one is used to though

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 08:02
http://www.championroswell.com/Honda/2004/rune/Rune-sm.jpg

That ain't no Valkerie. That be a Rune. I don't know what the designer who came up with that was taking at the time...

crashe
7th January 2005, 09:52
It was the movie "Easy Rider" that did it for me.....

But on a serious note..... I am only 4ft 12 inches tall and there aint a lot of bikes out there that I can reach the ground on... And I like to have my feet touching the ground when just sitting on it.... (at the lights, stop signs and idling) .

I have always loved the cruiser's / low riders.... and the ape hanger look..
Its just something about the style of bike...

Would I ever own a Harley..... most unlikely....cos a) the cost and b) the height of them as they also have a very wide seat on them. So I shall stay with my Virago.....

I did sit on Briano's bike the other day.... and yep I could reach the ground, but I found the bike too heavy for me....

BOB - I just read your link re the XV 250.... its so true... they are so neat to ride.. I love my one.

James Deuce
7th January 2005, 09:58
I have a guilty secret.

I want one of these.

http://www.townandcountrymotorsports.com/yamaha/motorcycles/cruisers/images/04RDSTRWAR_Sil-FL_3.gif

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 10:10
I have a guilty secret.

I want one of these.

http://www.townandcountrymotorsports.com/yamaha/motorcycles/cruisers/images/04RDSTRWAR_Sil-FL_3.gif
While the Yamaha Roadstar Warrior may look the goods, they are ferkin uncomfortable. It's the donk out of these that powers the new Yamaha MT01 (what sort of name is that?). The Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600 is my pick of the "power cruiser" market -- for comfort, style and performance.

vifferman
7th January 2005, 10:18
Next bike may be a Guzzi or a trumpy Bonnie America but in reality may have to settle for a VT750 Honda or a VL 800 but will be a cruiser type. I seriously considered a Guzzi Nevada, and test-rode a VT1100 for a laugh (horrible) and then considered a VT750. Very comfy, nice motor (better'n the VT1100), but the handlebars felt like I was steering a wheelbarrow, and I couldn't get it to change into second without an almighty CLUNK!! so I just started it in second instead.

Your comment about the width of bikes has a lot to do with most of the bigger cruisers being designed either in the USA, or with that market in mind. The buyers therefore expect them to have sort of Harley-esque dimensions and styling.

MD
7th January 2005, 15:57
I seriously considered a Guzzi Nevada, and test-rode a VT1100 for a laugh (horrible) and then considered a VT750. Very comfy, nice motor (better'n the VT1100), but the handlebars felt like I was steering a wheelbarrow, and I couldn't get it to change into second without an almighty CLUNK!! so I just started it in second instead.

Your comment about the width of bikes has a lot to do with most of the bigger cruisers being designed either in the USA, or with that market in mind. The buyers therefore expect them to have sort of Harley-esque dimensions and styling.
Honda spent a fortune developing that CLUNK. They probably have a patent on the horrible damn noise, especially up to 2nd gear -that's a head turner. How come after all these years they can't sort their gear boxes? They're Ok but obviously no one at the big H has ever ridden a Suzook or Kwaka who have been putting out sweet boxes for years.Which brings me to the Triumph America's gear box. Its fine until you have to stop suddenly in top. Then you can't tap down through the gears. Maybe with a few more miles this will sort itself.
Apart from that I'm impressed with the bike's build quality and rideability. The ride position doesn't give me any sort of sore back like some say about cruisers. And finally a bike totally free of vibs. It's the first bike I've had where your throttle hand doesn't go numb.

thehollowmen
7th January 2005, 20:50
ok.. imagine 6 foot, one inch inch long spikey hair, lots of leather and spikes ...

ok now that's just my wife pillion...

I think to get comfortable it will have to be a jap cruiser... we've looked at sports / tourers and haven't had much luck with comfort... and I can't see myself buying anything other than jap because of the restraints on the $$$

well.. I am having a look at moto-guzzi second hand... *ponders* but I'm sure it will end up as a jap cruiser.

Biggles2000
8th January 2005, 21:07
I'm the same. Tall and long in the limb, cruisers are the bikes I feel most physically comfortable on. If I want to relax I sit in an arm chair and not on a stool. I have just gone back to a cruiser from a sports-touring bike. Every time I went on a ride recently I seemed to get a speeding ticket, for a while I thought I had "pull me over please" painted on my back, for me no licence equals no job. I'm sure that being in the wind keeps my velocity a bit lower.
I know that HD put a lot of effort into getting the feel and sound of the gear change clunk just right and even the horn on a HD sounds sexy. Big controls and a big seat at the moment suits me down to the ground. :cool:

Phill

v.ros`
11th January 2005, 13:00
This would sound wierd but one of the reasons i got a cruiser (BTW for those of u who dont know...one bike of mine is a 250cc cruiser and the other a cbr600 sporty) is everytime i go to gym and if i ride my cruiser home or anywhere, its no problem..... but as soon as i sit on my cbr and hold the bars.... my triceps really hurt. they sort of get "pulled", so until i get used to the cbr, i think ill have to keep on riding my cruiser on days when i go to workout...

and my first option was a cruiser.. but now i prefer the sport bikes - MORE SPEEEEEEEED and more THRILL

- my 2 cents

Slipstream
11th January 2005, 13:49
I know and have seen that you can wheelie anything with 2 wheels, except a Harley. There have been rumours (chinese whispers) that you have now wheelied a V-Rod. Can you please confirm or deny this?

Blakamin
11th January 2005, 14:09
I know and have seen that you can wheelie anything with 2 wheels, except a Harley. There have been rumours (chinese whispers) that you have now wheelied a V-Rod. Can you please confirm or deny this?
farqin cool!!!!!!!! onya WT!
WE WANNA KNOW!!!!! :2thumbsup

scumdog
11th January 2005, 14:54

Where o where did you hear that cock-a-mamie slur that he can't wheelie a Harley, o yee of little faith! :mad:

thehollowmen
11th January 2005, 21:22
Where o where did you hear that cock-a-mamie slur that he can't wheelie a Harley, o yee of little faith! :mad:

Nothing confirms something more than an official denial!

:devil2:

guzzi_nz
12th January 2005, 00:04
I went up to dunedien had a look at one of those 2000cc kawa

what a bike big motor big bike i di like it alot and wif loud pipes it be cool :eek:

but that as far as i go it not a guzzi :headbang:

Waylander
23rd January 2005, 04:50
First bike had to be a cruiser, i wasnt gonna take my test and all that just to get some big fancy expensive crotch rocket and reck the damn thing my first day out. So i baught an '83 Honda Rebel for $600USD, took my test the next day after reading the book they give us in the states and passed for my permit. A week later i went in and took the riding test and got my full license. Continued on the rebel for another 6 months till i recked it and broke my arm, but as soon as it healed i bought my dad's Virago (he quit riding cause texas was geting to hot for him to sit in rush hour traffic{cant wait for him to get down here and rekindle that biker spirit}) and been on that ever since. I might get a harely one day but its more likely ill build my own bike from scratch first or get an R1 for the fun of taking the curves here with a bit more umph where it counts.

gman
23rd January 2005, 19:55
i bought my cruiser as a step to a gold wing but now i might just upgrade to a 1400 version and buy a goldy aswelll!!!

Winger
2nd February 2005, 21:05
I have a 2004 Roadstar great bike i don't think i would change, for me its close to a Harley but whos got $40k to put into a bike and still keep the missus happy ! not me anyway. but its still a cool bike and easy to customise, and when that front wheel comes up as the lites go green the boy racers shit them self. i had one little pick sitting beside me wanking his turbo and when i took off he stalled,at the next set he just sat there looking.

Winger :rockon:

Midnight 82
3rd February 2005, 08:04
:2guns: I like the style and I do alot of long rides so I find it more comfortable. :kick:

Wolf
4th February 2005, 22:46
Being of the short-arsed category (my CB550 was too wide and tall for me to place both feet flat on the ground) I find cruisers a great size. I took an Intruder 1400 for a test spin and found that it was more manageable than my old 550 when moving it around the car park - low centre of gravity and a low enough seat that I could actually push the bike back without my feet breaking contact with the ground.

Of course, there's a lot of difference, budget-wise, between a 1400cc Intruder and a 400cc Savage, so what I wanted and what I could get were different matters...

teknomad
15th March 2005, 10:36
That's quite a common complaint, and is entirely to do with the typical cruiser seating position tending to curve your spine the wrong way. That and the fact that if it has a 'feet forward' riding position, any jolts from bumps are going to be transmitted straight up through your tailbone to your (wrongly curved) spine, as you can't use your legs to absorb any of the shock.

Probably partly to do with having short hamstrings and/or weak hip flexors (illeopsoas). Stretching is recommended.

Conrad
1st May 2005, 02:12
Mate, i love cruisers. Just the whole low down, loud, cool looking V-Twin engines make me wanna fuck it in the exhaust ;)

Virago
1st May 2005, 21:13
Mate, i love cruisers. Just the whole low down, loud, cool looking V-Twin engines make me wanna fuck it in the exhaust ;)
Now that I'd love to see...... :puke:

And you bluddy ockers give us a hard time about sheep?????

PS Why do aussie sheep shearers prefer the narrow blade cutters?

'cause they do the best brazilians........ :D

Odin
10th May 2005, 04:33
My first bike was a Savage 650 and it was perfect for me to start on. I took my licence on a 400cc sports kike and that was fine but really learning to ride on a cruiser was good (at least for me). The savage is one cylinder and quite light for a 650 and sice I'm only 65kg's i can't push around the big bikes much anyway.
I will always have a cruiser and i'm currently looking for a virago 535. I have been out of the "race" for many years and think that would be a better size for me then the magna 750 i have now.

As for an HD... I dont think so, i don't care about the brand on the side and if thats taken of they cant compare in the way of value for money.

My 2 cents :D

mikey
30th May 2005, 17:26
i wana jap cruiser missile so i can bomb the fucking white house hey

zadok
30th May 2005, 18:08
Have never owned one, but I could see me on one sometime.
A mate at work had a Harley (Don't know which), now he's got a Kwaka cruiser. He reckons the Kwaka is far better.
I KNOW I wouldn't own a Harley in a fit, but a Jap cruiser would fit the bill.

TriumphMan
30th June 2005, 15:14
Why would you want a japanese cruiser when for a few grand more you could have a british one. Probably the few grand more.....but heaps of fun

Waylander
30th June 2005, 18:36
Why would you want a japanese cruiser when for a few grand more you could have a british one. Probably the few grand more.....but heaps of fun

Well being an American at the time I would have taken anything aslong as it wasn't British.:rofl:

Seriously though I would keep the few grand and put it twords another bike.

Odin
30th June 2005, 20:27
Seriously though I would keep the few grand and put it twords another bike.

Agree totaly... I have two (admitely old) Jap cruisers and payd a total og 4200 for them. What can i get for 4200 of british/american ? Biking for me is a bit of a hobby and i dont want to / cant just go and spend 10.000+ on a bike, and i feel the jap's are just fine and much better value for price / bang for buck.

skidz
30th June 2005, 21:10
I run with TriumphMan with this. I had a Bonnie America and it was great.

sels1
30th June 2005, 22:04

Welcome aboard the site - did you buy your Rocket last Saterday after test ride at WMCC? ( are you the x Daytona owner?)

Waylander
30th June 2005, 22:07
I run with TriumphMan with this. I had a Bonnie America and it was great.
But then look at what you ride now...:rofl:

Nah mate american and brittish cruisers are all about prestige and showing that you have heaps of money that you can just blow on a fancy bike (not allways just what I've seen most often) where as a jap cruiser is for econamy and such.

I like all bikes, some more than others, but I buy what I can afford.

TriumphMan
1st July 2005, 09:36
Thanks Mate. Yup, I'm the x Daytona owner. I picked up the Rocket on Tuesday...still grinning though...I've had the poser and too much to spend on a bike comments all week but hey, it's a triumph and I'm heaps happy about it.....

TriumphMan
1st July 2005, 09:41
I agree, buy what you can afford, but on the other hand, I didn't buy if for prestige, and I didn't buy it to show off (but I have to admit I like the attention it gets when parked on the street), I bought it because I liked it's torque, handling and for my size, downright comfort. I've had jap bikes, but the triumphs are downright good value, comparable in price to the Jappas, except for the cruisers that is which are typically half the price of the rocket, but compared to the other Triumph cruisers, there is not a lot of difference in the price. Besides, the Triumphs try to look like Triumphs and the Japanese bikes try to look like Harleys.

debz
6th July 2005, 09:38
I love the look of a cruiser myself, being a lady I think it fits my image, and style of course.... I love the sound, the comfort in knowing that I cant go too fast,so that I would eventually kill myself and I can actually cruise and enjoy the ride and the views of the surrounding countryside at lot more than I would flying round every tight corner trying to control something thats just too darn big for my boots. Hail the cruiser for Debz.

White trash
6th July 2005, 10:43
I agree, buy what you can afford, but on the other hand, I didn't buy if for prestige, and I didn't buy it to show off (but I have to admit I like the attention it gets when parked on the street), I bought it because I liked it's torque, handling and for my size, downright comfort. I've had jap bikes, but the triumphs are downright good value, comparable in price to the Jappas, except for the cruisers that is which are typically half the price of the rocket, but compared to the other Triumph cruisers, there is not a lot of difference in the price. Besides, the Triumphs try to look like Triumphs and the Japanese bikes try to look like Harleys.

And I bet a bloody good bastard sold it to ya too........

How's it going J. Many kays on the big beast yet?

TriumphMan
6th July 2005, 13:47
:) Apparently it was the best salesman in Wellington, or Auckland. Not too many ks on the beast yet, a mere 200, but the weekend isn't too far away. I'm doing pretty well. How is auckland treating you?

skidz
19th July 2005, 13:04
But then look at what you ride now...:rofl:

Nah mate american and brittish cruisers are all about prestige and showing that you have heaps of money that you can just blow on a fancy bike (not allways just what I've seen most often) where as a jap cruiser is for econamy and such.

I like all bikes, some more than others, but I buy what I can afford.
I wouldn't say I've got lots of money, but if you work towards your goal, you will get there in the end. It's taken alot of years to get to what I have wanted, and if it wasn't for tick, I still wouldn't be there.

TriumphMan
22nd July 2005, 11:15
It was the movie "Easy Rider" that did it for me.....

But on a serious note..... I am only 4ft 12 inches tall and there aint a

isn't 4 feet 12 inches actually 5 feet? unless kiwis get an extra inch that is? :)

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 11:44
isn't 4 feet 12 inches actually 5 feet? unless kiwis get an extra inch that is? :)

No indeed. Ms Crashe is one of our shorter members. The original post was a typo. She meant to say "I have 4 feet and an only 12 inches tall". Isn't that right ? :devil2: