PDA

View Full Version : blowing fuses left right and center

Mattzxr750
2nd May 2006, 12:19
i am having a problem with my bike blowing its fuses at an alarming rate. so far today ive blowing 3.

its a pain because when it goes the hole bike dies.

it started yesterday. the only thing i can think of is that some brake flude has gottin in to the electrics of the brake lights.

would that cause it? idea? and possable answers? please

nadroj
2nd May 2006, 12:31
With no fuse (or a blown one) in place put a test meter (or ammeter) on Ma or 'A' setting across the fuse, turn on the bike & start it (yes it will start with the meter connected). It will then tell you how many amps are being drawn & either a fuse with a slightly larger amp rating should be fitted or trace what is drawing an excessive amount of juice & fix.

Pixie
2nd May 2006, 12:33
So it's the brake light/indicator fuse that's blowing?

The fluid may have attacked the insulation in the loom.You'll need to investigate where you think the fluid went

Paul in NZ
2nd May 2006, 12:36
Dude.... On NO account put in a bigger fuse until you find out why the fuse is blowing! Fuses are there to protect the system. You might just set fire to your bike or blow some expensive electrics.

Look at points where the wiring exits or enters frames, fairings, the tank etc for signs of rubbing etc.

Also, check in your manual, see which fuse is blowing (I assume it has more than 1) and that might give you a clue where to start.

If you really have no idea about basic electrics, take it to an expert or get help before you do some damage!!!

Paul in NZ
2nd May 2006, 12:39
So it's the brake light/indicator fuse that's blowing?

The fluid may have attacked the insulation in the loom.You'll need to investigate where you think the fluid went

If it's shorting out when the brake is applied it should be easy to find. Front or rear? Disassemble the light unit and look for signs of arcing (remove the fuse first)

Mattzxr750
2nd May 2006, 12:42
i think its when the front brake is used but i cant be sure

dhunt
2nd May 2006, 13:21
With no fuse (or a blown one) in place put a test meter (or ammeter) on Ma or 'A' setting across the fuse, turn on the bike & start it (yes it will start with the meter connected). It will then tell you how many amps are being drawn & either a fuse with a slightly larger amp rating should be fitted or trace what is drawing an excessive amount of juice & fix.
Be careful doing this, you could fry your meter if it draws too much current (or blow the internal fuse if it has one).

It certainly sounds like a short in your electrics some where. You need to narrow down when it blows what were you doing? Braking, lights on? engine hot - fan turning on etc? Lots of fun ...

Paul in NZ
2nd May 2006, 14:21
i think its when the front brake is used but i cant be sure

Well then..

I'd replace the fuse, put it on the stand turn the ignition on and pull in the front brake lever. See if it blows. If not, wiggle the steering about 'cos it might only happen at a certain angle. You will hear the fuse pop or see sparks someplace. That should narrow it down a bit.

Mattzxr750
2nd May 2006, 18:16
well when i got the bike home i stripped off the front fairing.

replaced the fuse, try the brake, that wasnt it:mad:

looking around i found it one of the wires off the horn had come off and was arcing on the frame when turning hard left

reconnected and that was that :second:

Paul in NZ
2nd May 2006, 18:22
Lot easier than continuously replacing fuses eh?

Well done! Now go have a beer and check the rest of the connections are clean and tight!