PDA

View Full Version : vtec race report AMCC round 5 (taupo)

vtec
2nd May 2006, 14:51
Hey all, I'm writing a race report because I got such a positive response from my last one, and it really helped my ego :nya:

Well, I was a touch nervous going into the day what with all the shitty weather, and the fact that it was going to be my first time on the Taupo circuit. But at least I was more confident than at Pukekohe, cause I knew I could foot it with the F3 peeps on my CBR250RR.

Anyways, going into practice I told myself I was just going to take it easy, cause the track was still completely drenched. It all started well enough, cruising round following a couple of the 650's. Just behaving myself. Well after a couple of laps I decided I was confident enough in the wet that I could pick up the pace a little, leave it a little later on the brakes than the guys in front of me. Then BAM. I'm sliding along the ground thinking how the fuck did that happen. Felt like I was only sliding quite slow, so I held onto the bike to try and stop it, but we kept sliding, then noticed one of the cones was picking up pace towards me, well that was the illusion anyway. Stuck out my foot to stop it hitting my fairings and it went flying. Luckily I slid into the connecting part between the new and the old circuit, so I didn't get covered in mud and the bike didn't get flipped. Well, I thought, so much for my plan of not crashing, was a little bit annoyed, cause my bike got just that little bit uglier, and the gear lever is now only about 10mm wide, not much room for my foot, but still rideable. So anyway, the martial runs up makes sure I'm all sorted, and sends me on my way. Funny thing is that I martialled on his corner at Paeroa, but I don't think he recognised me with the helmet on. Head into the pits to give the bike a good checking over. Decide to not go out again until the race. Little did I know that you have to complete the practice for any of your practice laps to count for qualifying. That'd put me on the back of the grid. I really was only interested in comparing my times against others in the wet.

Anyway, mum and dad walk back to the pits. They mentioned that they were a bit worried after I didn't come round again. Yeah, was a bit embarrassed, but hey can't let it get to you.

First race comes round, it's still quite wet, and I'm still a little shaken as I cruise round the warmup and settle into the back of the grid. Still, I give it shit on my launch as the flag dropped, and jump up several spots. I don't know how I get my bike to launch better than 400's and 650's, but it just seems to happen, and I need every advantage I can take. A couple of them pass me going into the first corner including Quasi, still didn't really know my way around the track, cause I'd only had a couple of laps, and I decided to just follow them around. My bike was feeling quite dodgy on the brakes though, very weak compared to my previous race at Puke, I still go as hard as I can make it, and leave it late on the brakes anyway. Could see Quasi up ahead leaving me behind. Good to see that he'd finally got his handling sorted, and it even seemed to have some good balls aswell, despite only running on 3 cylinders at low revs. (Must have the low rev jet clogged). Cruise round, and am happy to still be upright at the end of the race. Find out that I actually came 7th out of 12 aswell, that cheered me up quite a bit too. Still, the lap time of 52seconds was pretty dismal, but understandable considering the conditions. Anyways, I take my baby back to the pits, and am wondering about my brakes, cause they were feeling so weird, tried spinning the wheel while it was off the ground, and it wasn't turning very well at all. I think I got some air in the lines when I tried bleeding them recently, bad. Tried bleeding them again, but my tactics are shite, just let it drip out, (found out later that the air only comes out when you pump it hard). So I raced with my brakes dragging a bit, and soft when I try and jump on them. (Tested it again today, and the brakes are still dragging, will have to try to bleed them again tonight with my new tactics).

Second race can't remember any specific events. But I went a bit harder and managed to follow Quasi around till a fellow competitor got between us and he got away a bit. Still, I think I finished about a second or so behind him with another 7th... Brakes still crappy. And now worried about the suspension, cause it looked like the forks were seeping :P Figured out the next day that it was just spilt brake fluid from my dumbarse attempt at bleeding them. Best lap was a 49.92, which I was happier about because the sweeper was still covered in water and mud, I'm pretty sure that I could make up an easy 2 seconds on that one corner alone, and I reckon maybe another second on the corner where I crashed, cause I was still riding that one like a chicken.

Third race comes round, and I get another good start. It's a great thing to have up my sleeve. I end up duking it out with an RGV250 towards the end of the race, I keep trying to take fast lines, and he keeps trying to go up my inside, but he ran wide a couple of times trying to overtake, so I managed to hold off a good challenge on the final lap, great fun, got a pat on the back from him, cause we were both giving each other enough racing space while still riding aggressively, a very respectful battle. Still I've got to learn to be more pushy when it comes to passing, I'm still being careful, and usually just make my overtakes on the brakes. Even with them feeling very unresponsive, and soft. Will have to fix that tonight. I think I'll get a new front tyre for my next race too, cause that Bridgestone looks a bit shagged. I think I've done quite a few k's on it. At least 10,000 anyway. Scored another 49.92 best lap in that 3rd race, was pretty happy with that, as I know heaps of places where I can improve once I'm feeling more confident with the circuit, and more confident with the bike. At this point I still thought my forks were leaking, so I was shitting myself. Only realised the next morning that it was just brake fluid.

So despite my crash the day turned out quite well, and once I got racing I hardly noticed the very small gear lever, just took a bit more effort and time to make my changes. Still, it means that I've got tonnes of room for improvement on that track, and it's going to be easy improvement too. Firstly the surface, (with mud on the sweeper), and secondly with my confidence on a couple of the corners, and thirdly with my confidence in the bike. I'm definitely looking forward to my next attempt. Considering I got some decent lap times despite all the issues. Just got to make sure I'm completely ready for racing in my first Streetstock race this weekend on the new circuit at Taupo. I'm rearing to go.

Now I just want to know what it feels like to be as happy as Frosty was after sealing the championship, I think it was as much of a relief as it was excitement. Good effort.

No doubt I'll see all you racers and support crews at some of the upcoming races... Looking forward to it. Catchya.

Mental Trousers
2nd May 2006, 15:52
Good on ya. What was your number?? Someone may have some pics.

DemonWolf
2nd May 2006, 15:54
Good stuff.. Good to hear ya enjoying your run. Keep up the good work =)

Racey Rider
2nd May 2006, 15:54
Good on ya Vtec :niceone:
I'm thinking of coming to race/test at Taupo on the 7th too.
So save me a spot on your rear tyre :yes:

Make sure you race in streetstock And F3. I'm told it's no extra cost to do both class in the PMCC rounds.

Racey

PS. eat another donut would ya. You need to put some weight on before Manfield!

vtec
2nd May 2006, 15:58
Thanks guys, I'm no. 78.

I was thinking of doing the F3 aswell as the Streetstock, but I think 3 races a day is enough to keep me happy.

Two Smoker
2nd May 2006, 16:09
Wicked stuff mate :niceone: I pointed you out to a few racers that i know that weren't racing... MR and I could see improvement everytime we saw you :niceone:

Good luck for PMCC round :niceone:

Keystone19
2nd May 2006, 17:00
Wow! Sounds like you had an adventurous day!

Didn't get to meet you or at least no-one introduced us so hopefully rectify that on Sunday. I'll be racing Clubmans as my F3 berth has been stolen by Motobob. Should be great fun though!

vtec
2nd May 2006, 20:24
Cheers Two smoker, and Keystone.

Well I think I've solved the dilemma with my brakes. I think I've got warped front brakes from going too hard at Pukekohe, luckily I've got some options on what to do though, and hopefully will have it sorted by this weekend.

And I might actually have a go at the F3 races aswell now that I think about it. I need all the practice I can get. I'm on a get fast quick scheme.

FROSTY
2nd May 2006, 20:34
good onya dude --good to see you have a good support crew matey

vtec
2nd May 2006, 22:17
Yip, mum and dad are great, they're paying all the travelling costs. Didn't really think about those kind of expenses. I don't think I'd be able to make it to many races without them

Has the old man given you a call yet about that light switch Frosty?

justsomeguy
2nd May 2006, 22:25
:niceone: :first: :2thumbsup:

But how can you go fast?? You're only on a 250?? :blip:

FROSTY
3rd May 2006, 08:01
nahh he hasn't yet --dont you be forgetting to thank your family matey --you dont know how important a support crew can be

kiwifruit
3rd May 2006, 11:09
great report vtec,
i will grab some pics of u racing this sunday (it is sunday right?)
:D

babyB
3rd May 2006, 11:56
cool write up vtec. good on ya :2thumbsup

vtec
3rd May 2006, 13:14
Hey thanks for the pics. Sweeet. Luckily its the lefthandside which is pretty ugly.

And yeah racing again this Sunday, I'm going to try rebuilding the brake callipers between now and then to see if I can get them to stop dragging.

babyB
3rd May 2006, 20:42
Hey thanks for the pics. Sweeet. Luckily its the lefthandside which is pretty ugly.lol your welcome

Motoracer
4th May 2006, 01:00
Wicked stuff mate :niceone: I pointed you out to a few racers that i know that weren't racing... MR and I could see improvement everytime we saw you :niceone:

Good luck for PMCC round :niceone:

I second that man... I was speakin to TS about your lines etc and you definetly had an improvement later on in the day!

Good shit bro!

R6_kid
4th May 2006, 11:07
top makrs man, you gonna be around uni this week? Will have to catch up and have a chat. If i can arrange a ride then i will be down at Taupo this weekend to help out where ever i can so if you need a part-time pit bitch then give me a yell.

vtec
4th May 2006, 23:34
Haha, cheers MR, and yep I'll be around uni tomorrow Gareth, but will be up in the computer labs doing some stuff.

I've currently got my second set of calipers stripped for rebuilding, and will chuck them on the bike. I finally came to the conclusion that the calipers had seized, cause the wheel was sticking when I was trying to spin it, and did the same with my spare wheel on, so it couldn't have been the discs. Picking up my repaired leathers tomorrow, and maybe get a new front tyre on Saturday morning. Getting excited already. Going to race in F3 and Streetstock on the weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to learn the new track out taupo... Bitchin.

Hope to catch you there Gareth, and all the rest of you that are coming. :tugger: Hehe.

MadDuck
4th May 2006, 23:44
Well I cant do the ...oh take this line or that line.

You need a pit bitch for the weekend coming up give me a holla. You have the attitude :first: