PDA

View Full Version : 12 oclock and going over--

GIXser
2nd May 2006, 21:23
for those learning to wheelie learn from my foolishness--

Ok-- so i had the first (real ) moment of OH FUCK" IV'E LOST IT this is what happened,--

ive only been trying to do wheelie's for about 3 months getting cockier day by day"-- even just plain stupid at times,

went out for a ride tonight out the back of huntly" with AFFman-
had to stop for some roadworks, finnally we got waved through, i looked at the other oncoming traffic (absolutely none) so thought what a great opportunity to pull a wheelie at take off !!!!( for those off you wondering , the road had no gravel or anything loose, roadworks were on the side of the road)
so take off , goose the throttle like so many times before" and whammo" she 's at 12 o'clock, and (within .001 second ) im thinkin " WHATTHEFUCKGOINGON-to IMFUCKED--,
i think i either tapped the rear, or simply snapped the throttle shut,(cant remember) the front threw itself back to mother earth, on the verge of the road in the dirt", still managed to hang on gave it a bit of gas and she slid back on the tarmac, on both wheels--all the while im still thinkin i should be back on the tarmac sprawled out-- ????
anyway i knew it would happen sooner or later--ive learned and controlled balance point many times, now ive experienced the "IMFUCKED" point (kinda didnt like it that much)
will it stop me from doing wheelies HELL NO, but i have newfound respect for the bike that i took for granted--

so for those (like me) learning" take notice" and be prepared" dont get to cocky"--:nono:

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 21:31
Haha, Brilliant! Top marks for that one, and you stayed on?! Even better!!
I value my arrow can too much to even attempt major wheelies, and I'm hopeless at not so major wheelies... Full credit to your inspiring account!!

mdb
2nd May 2006, 21:48
I remember the first time that happened to me. The wheel was in the air, I was staring at the sky, the motor was screaming. I was packing myself thinking it was all over and wondering if coming off would hurt and would I need to buy a new bike. Suddenly it all came back under control and the wheel touched back down on the road after lifting to the dizzy heights of about 2 inches off the tarmac!!!

GIXser
2nd May 2006, 21:50
hehehehehe, the difference is that it was my tailight that was only 2 inches of the ground--!!!

Finn
2nd May 2006, 22:08
Can someone from Auckland who knows how to wheelie do it on my bike? I'm finding it hard to get it very high off the ground. It just wants to accelerate. I want to see an experienced rider do it on my bike.

Two Smoker
2nd May 2006, 22:09
Nice save mate :niceone: I always say, you are generally going to crash when you get too cocky... coz thats whats happened to me...

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 22:13
Can someone from Auckland who knows how to wheelie do it on my bike? I'm finding it hard to get it very high off the ground. It just wants to accelerate. I want to see an experienced rider do it on my bike.

Mint new bike Finn!! the perfect accessory to your manliness!! LOL

If it has a clutch, i'll wheely it for you, small bikes are sweet as!! I only don't like it when on my nice big powerful speed monster bike...

onearmedbandit
2nd May 2006, 22:16
Had that feeling a few of times myself, you get kind of used to it after a while but it still is an arse-clenching moment!

GIXser
2nd May 2006, 22:28
Had that feeling a few of times myself, you get kind of used to it after a while but it still is an arse-clenching moment!

this was different dude: ive had a few moments myself,, where ive gone "fuck im too far" this was way past it ( a biaggi) totally gone, it was a freak serious of events that brought it back to earth-- on its wheels

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 22:32
Your gaurdian anal obviously caught up!!

onearmedbandit
2nd May 2006, 22:49
this was different dude: ive had a few moments myself,, where ive gone "fuck im too far" this was way past it ( a biagio) totally gone, it was a freak serious of events that brought it back to earth-- on its wheels

That far I probably haven't gone, but it felt pretty damn far. Far enough for me to slam the throttle shut in a hurry. Well done on saving it.

aff-man
2nd May 2006, 23:12

Fuck me... I'll wheelie your bike no problems....:scooter:

I got a spectators view of the whole thing.... could almost see gixxer puckering up...:sick: :sick:

Oh and the look on the construction guys face was priceless.....:first:

Pretty impressive save (Biaggi styles and all) Sorta feel sorry for his fork seals but meh no harm no foul I say. :doobey:

loosebruce
3rd May 2006, 13:42
LOL ya plonker, nice shit Eddy, reminds me of thios one time when i was learning and wasn't really thinking when i brought it too high and for some reason pulled the clutch in, fuck knows why i did that, but yeah it was just hanging there coasting along and eventully slammed back too earth, the whole coasting and quietness was cool, but reaky at the same time, if maybe I had mint back brake control i'd do it more often.

The_Dover
3rd May 2006, 13:49
Reminds me of this one time............

oh, hang on. Fuck.

Korea
3rd May 2006, 14:01
Oh yeah... the old 'wheelie at takeoff' bit...
Did the same at the lights on the miiiiighty NZ250... friends in car behind me. Decided to show off and dropped the clutch hard - front came up really quickly, my feet were flailing, and somehow the front came back down. Quickly feet back on the pegs, turn and look back at the car and they're all :gob: I just gave them the 'thumbs up' like I meant that all along...

Oh yeah, start rolling first - doing wheelies from a stand-still is asking for trouble...

...and don't take advice from me 'cos I can't do wheelies for shiz

Devil
3rd May 2006, 14:15
Oh yeah... the old 'wheelie at takeoff' bit...
Did the same at the lights on the miiiiighty NZ250... friends in car behind me. Decided to show off and dropped the clutch hard - front came up really quickly, my feet were flailing]
Hah, been there, done that. On the old ZR250. Previously I had launched it well (not trying to wheelie), but this one time, I just wasn't sitting far enough forward on the bike, wheel went skyward, I was pretty much doing a superman off the back. Shut the throttle, bike came down hard, then my nuts came down on the tank. ouch.

WRT
3rd May 2006, 14:49
Was up on the beach at Woodhill on the CR, getting some practice at wheelies. I was getting too much wheel spin in third to get any decent elevation, so I gave it a go down on the hard sand in fourth. Got a bit too much traction then, before I knew what was happening the bike was standing up at attention and my feet had come off the pegs leaving me hanging from the handle bars with my feet dragging ape-like along the ground behind the bike. Couldnt get the weight off the throttle to release it, nor could I get my foot up to the rear brake to give it a stab.

Did a quick bit of mental arithmatic involving speeds, trajectories and impacts, thought "Ah, fk it" and just let go. I flopped down on my belly like beached whale and I still have the image of my arms out in front of me hands spraying wet sand into my face as I did my best "penguin down a drain pipe" impersonation at 80+ kph down the beach. With my face a mere 2cm from the deck, I had a fantastic view looking up at my bike as it mono'ed away from me before veering off and tumbling end over end like a Chinese acrobat on speed.

Surprisingly enough, neither my bike nor I suffered any permanent damage. Had to straighten the handlebar mounts a little (apparently Tag tapers dont bend any), but otherwise everything was sweet.

GIXser
3rd May 2006, 15:35
Was up on the beach at Woodhill on the CR, getting some practice at wheelies. I was getting too much wheel spin in third to get any decent elevation, so I gave it a go down on the hard sand in fourth. Got a bit too much traction then, before I knew what was happening the bike was standing up at attention and my feet had come off the pegs leaving me hanging from the handle bars with my feet dragging ape-like along the ground behind the bike. Couldnt get the weight off the throttle to release it, nor could I get my foot up to the rear brake to give it a stab.

Did a quick bit of mental arithmatic involving speeds, trajectories and impacts, thought "Ah, fk it" and just let go. I flopped down on my belly like beached whale and I still have the image of my arms out in front of me hands spraying wet sand into my face as I did my best "penguin down a drain pipe" impersonation at 80+ kph down the beach. With my face a mere 2cm from the deck, I had a fantastic view looking up at my bike as it mono'ed away from me before veering off and tumbling end over end like a Chinese acrobat on speed.

Surprisingly enough, neither my bike nor I suffered any permanent damage. Had to straighten the handlebar mounts a little (apparently Tag tapers dont bend any), but otherwise everything was sweet.

hahaha funny story lol,, sounds familiar, as an afterthought the main difference with me, was that i manged to keep my feet on the pegs (just) had they come off, the rest would have followed, i still dont know how i came back-- no idea to be honest, for those of you that wheelie, you know that if you can see over your screen , at a horizontal level, sitting, you are pretty much at balance point , (maybe a touch further but thats it), now picture this, ... further up the road where i fucked up there was a steep rise (a hill ) with pine trees on top,, now when i pulled the wheelie i was looking at nothing but clouds basically lying down, on my back ( physics will tell ya i should at worst seen the top of the pine trees, as they were way,, way up in the air,,,thats when i knew it was a total fuckup""

as far as the impersonation of going down the beach on ya face, try doing that on the tarmac" you end up looking like "crusty the clown"

:yes: :yes: :yes:

WRT
3rd May 2006, 16:17
Yeah, its amazing how far you slide actually. Seemed to take forever to come to a halt, but it was a hell of a rush!

Motoracer
3rd May 2006, 16:51
Good shit bro!

I am on the road again on the R6 finally after the Stunt day.. Fuck I'm lazy with swapping race/road fairings..

Let me know when you are going out somewhere to practice some wheelies. I'll come along!

Zed
3rd May 2006, 17:26
for those learning to wheelie learn from my foolishness--

Ok-- so i had the first (real ) moment of OH FUCK" IV'E LOST IT this is what happened,--I've had one or two of those on the road hehe, but it happened so quick and I kept it under control (for lack of a better word) that it was actually enjoyable, frightening but enjoyable.

I have observed your wheelie style in the few times we've ridden 2gether Gixser and for what it's worth I've seen you bring the front up too quickly and thought it's an area you need to improve on. Not sure if you're bringing it up in 1st or 2nd but 1st can be very jerky and comes up real fast, changing quickly into 2nd is the best option to prevent that unless you're only doing a short distance...

Glad you kept the shiney side up! :yes:

GIXser
3rd May 2006, 20:26
I've had one or two of those on the road hehe, but it happened so quick and I kept it under control (for lack of a better word) that it was actually enjoyable, frightening but enjoyable.

I have observed your wheelie style in the few times we've ridden 2gether Gixser and for what it's worth I've seen you bring the front up too quickly and thought it's an area you need to improve on. Not sure if you're bringing it up in 1st or 2nd but 1st can be very jerky and comes up real fast, changing quickly into 2nd is the best option to prevent that unless you're only doing a short distance...

Glad you kept the shiney side up! :yes:

yeah your'e probably right zed" i usually hook it up in first (depends really "first or second") im still sorting out the shift from 1 st to 2, hooked it a few times , but still trying to get it right, anyway anyone learning i guess like me will either drop it at some stage or get fuckin close" its simply the law of luck/physics call it whatever-- if ya do silly shit, it will bite ya sooner or later..as any of the good stunters will tell ya, "YOU WILL COME OFF"accept it

its funny you mentioned that it happenend so quick " cos thats what happened, you dont realize until your back on the tarmac "one way or another"

aff-man
3rd May 2006, 21:24
yeah your'e probably right zed" i usually hook it up in first (depends really "first or second") im still sorting out the shift from 1 st to 2, hooked it a few times , but still trying to get it right, anyway anyone learning i guess like me will either drop it at some stage or get fuckin close" its simply the law of luck/physics call it whatever-- if ya do silly shit, it will bite ya sooner or later..as any of the good stunters will tell ya, "YOU WILL COME OFF"accept it

its funny you mentioned that it happenend so quick " cos thats what happened, you dont realize until your back on the tarmac "one way or another"

Just do standups and pull it up in second... easy as mate :nya: :nya:

GIXser
3rd May 2006, 21:43
yep AFF those standups are looking good man, keep em up---

aff-man
3rd May 2006, 23:50
Ok correct me If I'm wrong but didn't FINN say I could go wheelie his bike??:innocent:

He has yet to contact me:doobey:

larriken
4th May 2006, 17:48
this was different dude: ive had a few moments myself,, where ive gone "fuck im too far" this was way past it ( a biaggi) totally gone, it was a freak serious of events that brought it back to earth-- on its wheels

Sweeet, least you saved it! Last time I had that feeling was when my arse bounced off the road, stupid pit bike!

aff-man
4th May 2006, 18:01
Sweeet, least you saved it! Last time I had that feeling was when my arse bounced off the road, stupid pit bike!

See that's what happens when you get to close to jimmy... Last time I went out riding with him I highsided my minimoto and he promptly ran over me with his.... I think he Is a jinx?

Finn
8th May 2006, 18:31
Ok correct me If I'm wrong but didn't FINN say I could go wheelie his bike??:innocent:

He has yet to contact me:doobey:

I said an "experienced" rider.:rofl:

aff-man
8th May 2006, 18:37
I said an "experienced" rider.:rofl:

I'm experienced... seeeeriously... I do heaps of wheelies :rofl: