PDA

View Full Version : Shoei Helmets

LaggCity
3rd May 2006, 18:32
HI Y':scratch: all giving up on my very noisy and now loose HJC helmet, will prob look at a Shoei, anyone know where I can get them cheapest in auckland Hamilton...cheers

Hitcher
3rd May 2006, 18:45
Bugger the local suppliers. Buy from the USA by mailorder. Get your Shoei in three days, not eight weeks.

http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=shoei&ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=no+category&ovcrn=shoei+helmet&ovtac=PPC&OVRAW=shoei%20helmet&OVKEY=shoei%20helmet&OVMTC=standard

Cajun
3rd May 2006, 19:14
I found my RAID II, is louder wind noise, and build quality is same as my hjc cl12 which i put about 60,000 and 4 years worth of use.

And the hjc is half the price of shoei, I know RAID I were okay, i just do't think the RAID II is up to same standard, and since the RAID II is pretty much an old model RF1000.

I won't be buying a shoei personally again.

and BTW ebay is your friend, my wife got her helmet from states with in 5 days, since she needs an xs, and nz didn't have any and would only get a black in xs, and had to wait 3+ months.

Go figure, and around half price here

CBRAero
3rd May 2006, 19:20
Ebay for new RF1000 no graphics for about $400 delivered.

Big Dave
3rd May 2006, 19:22
Auckland Motorcycles and Power Sports have a good range in stock. Lou will look after you.

Motomail has a good range in stock.
(Chris can do interst free terms on purchases over 5 hundy)

I represent the importer Whites powersports and can confirm availability and time frames if you want something not on the shelves.

You also have recourse with warranty and service if purchased locally.

jonbuoy
3rd May 2006, 20:54
And you can see if it fits you properly...................

Big Dave
3rd May 2006, 21:26
My X-spirit is the nicest hat I've ever worn - even counting my Akubra Bronco.

Shoei-san likes my work too ;-)

Felicks
3rd May 2006, 21:29
After speaking to mates who had been riding bikes longer than I, I bought an XR1000. Cost me $500 less 10% for cash 18 months ago. It's only plain black but who really cares. I find it light and the wind noise quite acceptable..

Of particular interest to me was the fact that when I wear glasses, they slide in perfectly and stay put. I tried HJC's and Arai helmets and I struggled to get my glasses on. Might be worth considering if you wear glasses or sunnies.

Hitcher
3rd May 2006, 21:39
My X-spirit is the nicest hat I've ever worn - even counting my Akubra Bronco.
It would be nice to be able to try an X-spirit for fit some time. Maybe next time I'm in Australia...

LaggCity
3rd May 2006, 21:47
After speaking to mates who had been riding bikes longer than I, I bought an XR1000. Cost me $500 less 10% for cash 18 months ago. It's only plain black but who really cares. I find it light and the wind noise quite acceptable..

Of particular interest to me was the fact that when I wear glasses, they slide in perfectly and stay put. I tried HJC's and Arai helmets and I struggled to get my glasses on. Might be worth considering if you wear glasses or sunnies.

Yeah I wear Glasses as well and I think that is where I may have made a mistake, bought the helmet so the glasses could go on easy, now with a bit of wear the helmet is sloppy and the wind noise is terrible, have to wear ear plugs all the time, thanks to everyone for the advice.
One thing for sure I am going to take a lot longer on this choice ,trying different brands its such an individual thing shape of head glasses etc :scooter:

Big Dave
3rd May 2006, 21:57
It would be nice to be able to try an X-spirit for fit some time. Maybe next time I'm in Australia...

I always enjoy a good tyre kickin' at MCA in Church St, Parramatta too.

Lou Girardin
4th May 2006, 08:30
We have a full size range of Raid 2s and XR1000 at AMPS now. Don't know for how long though.
We also get annoyed at the lack of availability of stock from importers. They're all guilty too, not just Whites.

Devil
4th May 2006, 10:21
Courtesy of Forbes and Davies/Metzeler I won an FFM M7.
Here's some features:
Lightweight (1350gm)
Easy to change visor
Removable/washable padding.
Good looking (mine in silver)
Easy to use Front Vent (push to open, push to close).
Appears quieter than my HJC CL-14 (which was a fairly quiet helmet anway).
Replacement visor: $45
New Zealand made
Retail $230.
Go try one.

F5 Dave
4th May 2006, 12:36
NZ Made? :laugh: :laugh: [insert Tui add]
Slightly assembled from korea maybe. . .

All brands have several models. The cheap ones not so good, the flash ones are better. My slightly old model HJC (erm, can't remember, AC11, or maybe that is my Dirt HJC) is pretty damn good. I still prefer my Arai, but HJC are a great brand in thier upper range models.

Oscar
4th May 2006, 13:35
Boyd Honda (in Hamilton) has a good range of Shoei Helmets and I've always found their arms to be very twistable on price...

Gforce
4th May 2006, 16:38
Shoei dunt know,but i saw the Arai RR4 is for sale now $795 for edwards replica

Hitcher
4th May 2006, 19:13
Shoei dunt know,but i saw the Arai RR4 is for sale now $795 for edwards replica
I'm sure that Shoei dunt care what you saw.

Big Dave
4th May 2006, 21:50
Partucularly the texus tusser.

HenryDorsetCase
5th May 2006, 09:48
as for wind noise, you can get a Whisper kit for Shoei's which apparently is good.

Im getting one as soon as I am next in the LBS (about $60??).

My Raid II fits good, but is a bit noisy... I do wear earplugs on the open road though

dawnrazor
5th May 2006, 10:56
HI Y':scratch: all giving up on my very noisy and now loose HJC helmet, will prob look at a Shoei, anyone know where I can get them cheapest in auckland Hamilton...cheers

Shoei make a nice helmet, however I found the fit very uncomfortable - reckon I have a odd shaped head 'cus the only lids that suite me are AGV and ARAI, which sucks 'cus the former are rare enough and the later are bleeding expensive.

Uncle B
5th May 2006, 12:03
I have the X11.
Bloody nice helmet. Light weight, comfortable but noisy as hell...earplugs a must for me.

JWALKER
5th May 2006, 12:24
i just bought recently the 'relic' shoei helmet. it cuts down quite alot of noise and its really comfortable and light

Timber020
5th May 2006, 21:54
I went from Shoei to HJC partly because I was sick of all the noise!

Big Dave
5th May 2006, 22:59
it must come down to the shape of one's melon - my shoeis are the quietest full faces i've used by a some margin.

My davida open face is the overall quietest, again by some margin.

Finn
5th May 2006, 23:03
it must come down to the shape of one's melon - my shoeis are the quietest full faces i've used by a some margin.

Wow, didn't know they made a helmet large enough for your head.:blip:

Gforce
6th May 2006, 01:10
Shoei X-11 is about only 700 nzd in HK,Arai RR4 750NZD in hk, most expensive one is Suomy Extrem Spec 1R which is around 800NZD in Hk.
Just try them on find the most fit one..

Big Dave
6th May 2006, 01:13
Wow, didn't know they made a helmet large enough for your head.:blip:

Not that bad - condoms is the killer.

scracha
6th May 2006, 05:53
I'm a big fan of Shoei lids. I'm now on my 4th. When it's wet (the lid, not the weather - nothing worse than having to put on a helmet that hasn't dried out) I have a cheapo Shark which is surprisingly OK.

Hitcher
7th May 2006, 15:01
Wow, didn't know they made a helmet large enough for your head.
Be very careful what you say about fuller-headed gents...

LaggCity
13th May 2006, 08:03
I guess the thread just reinforces that an individuals head shape and size seem to mean more than the brand of Helmet. Some people swear by say Shoei, and others with the same Helmet say they are the noisiest. Does anyone know of a reseller that would let you try and ride, that seems to be the only sure way of getting the right lid, standing around in a shop doesnt indicate the wind noise, my HJC seemed to fit very nicely soon found out about the wind noice first trip down the southern m/way.:wait:

Big Dave
13th May 2006, 12:36
Does anyone know of a reseller that would let you try and ride,

motomail will do.

Gforce
13th May 2006, 13:54
motomail will do.
just check that motomail have 24 months interest free term now.....:gob:

Rashika
13th May 2006, 14:59
as for wind noise, you can get a Whisper kit for Shoei's which apparently is good.

Im getting one as soon as I am next in the LBS (about $60??).

so how do they work... the whisper kit I mean. I've always wondered what difference they would make, what do they look like, how do they work?...Anyone have one?
I find my shoei to be damn good , quiet , light and comfy, on my second one now... diabolic... BEAUTIFUL :yes:

Lou Girardin
13th May 2006, 16:52
THe whisper kit consists of a neck curtain that clips to the lower edge of the lid and a chin curtain. It almost completely encloses your head and neck.
The 'try and ride' thing is all very well, and we do it sometimes at AMPS. But the customer has to be prepared to buy the helmet if it's chipped or marked. Whether it suits them or not.

LaggCity
8th June 2006, 17:45
Boy did I just walk into the right shop on the right day, Just picked up this little beauty for $299, yep thats $299.Mt Eden
34308 :scooter:

Hitcher
8th June 2006, 18:43
Just picked up this little beauty
Funny looking Shoei.

Zapf
10th September 2008, 17:42
another X11 aquired recently

Ryder
13th September 2008, 10:28
newest edition to my helmet collection was the Shoei xr1000.

CHOPPA
13th September 2008, 12:54
Boy did I just walk into the right shop on the right day, Just picked up this little beauty for $299, yep thats $299.Mt Eden
34308 :scooter:

Are you sure its a ti tech?

FastBikeGear
13th September 2008, 13:51
Does anyone know of a reseller that would let you try and ride[/B], that seems to be the only sure way of getting the right lid, standing around in a shop doesnt indicate the wind noise,

Yep moto mail offered to let me ride a couple of helmets to see how noisey they wer.

Bend-it
17th September 2008, 08:20
Bugger the local suppliers. Buy from the USA by mailorder. Get your Shoei in three days, not eight weeks.

http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=shoei&ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=no+category&ovcrn=shoei+helmet&ovtac=PPC&OVRAW=shoei%20helmet&OVKEY=shoei%20helmet&OVMTC=standard

Does their free shipping apply to overseas shipments as well? Otherwise the price isn't very much different fro a shop here.

Hitcher
17th September 2008, 08:50
Does their free shipping apply to overseas shipments as well? Otherwise the price isn't very much different fro a shop here.

As I have said numerous times before, I don't give a Flying Fuck(TM) about the price of helmets. Unlike most other motorcyclists with pinheads who endlessly whack on about the unlimited choice and selection available to them ("Shall I get my Multitech in pink or apricot?"), those of us in the upper reaches of the head size bell curve are always ecstatic when we find a helmet that fits.

NZ distributors, bless them, don't carry stocks of XXL and XXXL helmets. This means that when one wants one, the wee dears have to order one in on indent. This process takes an eternity. This is the main reason I have two helmets: just in case one gets damaged, I still have another so I can go riding.

There are only two manufacturers on this godforsaken planet who make large size helmets: Shoei and HJC. And then they only make one shell each in a larger size, so forget about features like built-in sun visors, carbon fibre or flip fronts.

My next purchase will be a Shoei XR1000 in a XXXL. This size only comes in three colours. I shall be ordering one in "Antracite" from the USA, rather than fagging around waiting for Whites to pull finger. I don't care whether that works out more or less expensive than buying it through TSS. I just can't be bothered waiting.

Bend-it
17th September 2008, 08:56
Haha... you're funny Hiitch...

Relaxxxx...

In all that, you didn't answer the question!

Cajun
17th September 2008, 08:57
As I have said numerous times before, I don't give a Flying Fuck(TM) about the price of helmets. Unlike most other motorcyclists with pinheads who endlessly whack on about the unlimited choice and selection available to them ("Shall I get my Multitech in pink or apricot?"), those of us in the upper reaches of the head size bell curve are always ecstatic when we find a helmet that fits.

NZ distributors, bless them, don't carry stocks of XXL and XXXL helmets. This means that when one wants one, the wee dears have to order one in on indent. This process takes an eternity. This is the main reason I have two helmets: just in case one gets damaged, I still have another so I can go riding.

There are only two manufacturers on this godforsaken planet who make large size helmets: Shoei and HJC. And then they only make one shell each in a larger size, so forget about features like built-in sun visors, carbon fibre or flip fronts.

My next purchase will be a Shoei XR1000 in a XXXL. This size only comes in three colours. I shall be ordering one in "Antracite" from the USA, rather than fagging around waiting for Whites to pull finger. I don't care whether that works out more or less expensive than buying it through TSS. I just can't be bothered waiting.

people who need xs xxs have same issues. unless they want them in black

Hitcher
17th September 2008, 08:58
people who need xs xxs have same issues. unless they want them in black

People with heads that size can always buy a couple of balaclavas...

Cajun
17th September 2008, 09:05

could be good in winter but, summer maybe not

nodrog
17th September 2008, 09:12

and you could always chisel out the excess foam from a normal persons helmet :eek5:

Bend-it
17th September 2008, 09:14
or chisel off excess skull from your head! :dodge:

Hitcher
17th September 2008, 13:02
and you could always chisel out the excess foam from a normal persons helmet

I have already done that to get my noggin into a Shoei XXL.

Hitcher
17th September 2008, 13:03
or chisel off excess skull from your head!

It's probably all excess.

nodrog
17th September 2008, 13:05

sounds like you need a haircut, hippy.

Bend-it
18th September 2008, 09:56
It's probably all excess.

Then what's the problem?? :banana:

WasPhantom
22nd September 2008, 10:15
So what do people think of the XR1000 vs the X-11?

Scouse
22nd September 2008, 10:54
another X11 aquired recentlyYou mean XSpirit

Scouse
22nd September 2008, 10:59
So what do people think of the XR1000 vs the X-11?the Xspirit does not transmit as much high frequency wind noise to your lugholes as the XR1000 the Xspirit is lighter size for size
and tends to fit more snug due to the superior padding.

Hitcher
22nd September 2008, 11:36
So what do people think of the XR1000 vs the X-11?

One fits, the other doesn't.

Klown73
23rd September 2008, 17:01

Apparently they have 3XL XR1000s in stock now Hitch...in black only, but I guess they don't get too much call for alternative colours in that size.

I'm also told they've extended their range in XS and XXS to cater for the growing number of people with small heads (read: ladies).

placidfemme
23rd September 2008, 19:50
Just brought my first Shoei (XR1000) today... best fit I've found so far (XXS) ... Couldnt be assed waiting the 3 months for the graphic I wanted so went plain black and spent the savings of Spectra visors... So far have no complaints about wind noise, venting is great... will update if I change my opinion lol

MotoGirl
23rd September 2008, 20:55
Just brought my first Shoei (XR1000) today... best fit I've found so far (XXS) ... Couldnt be assed waiting the 3 months for the graphic I wanted so went plain black and spent the savings of Spectra visors...

I had plain black Shoeis for my first six years of riding, simply because that was all I could get in my size (XS too). Come the time to replace my last Shoei, I refused to own another black one. I also refused to wait three months for one with graphics to arrive.

I ordered online and my Suomy (Spec 1-R) arrived from the USA in five days :clap: so I haven't bought one locally since.

Creeping Death
24th September 2008, 00:04
I had plain black Shoeis for my first six years of riding, simply because that was all I could get in my size (XS too). Come the time to replace my last Shoei, I refused to own another black one. I also refused to wait three months for one with graphics to arrive.

I ordered online and my Suomy (Spec 1-R) arrived from the USA in five days :clap: so I haven't bought one locally since.

WOW!I find it staggering the average person can source a new helmet from the USA and have it at the door in less than a week!Bleedin excellent service I reckon.What do these professional "importers" do that takes em like 3 months to get the same product to our shores...wait till they get a container load of ordered helmets then ship em all at once???Surely not...

MotoGirl
24th September 2008, 08:26
WOW!I find it staggering the average person can source a new helmet from the USA and have it at the door in less than a week!Bleedin excellent service I reckon.What do these professional "importers" do that takes em like 3 months to get the same product to our shores...wait till they get a container load of ordered helmets then ship em all at once???Surely not...

Someone can probably confirm this, but I always thought everything comes through Northern Accessories so it's all ordered in bulk?

roogazza
24th September 2008, 08:55

Good to catch up with you both at breakfast last Sat, Hitcher.

As per my avatar , my X Spirit or X11, whatever its called , is a great hat and 'top of the line'.
Motomart supplied mine, no problems there, as I have a medium head ! Gaz.

placidfemme
25th September 2008, 14:33

Ehhh... my issues is I work at a bike shop and cant bear to pay normal retail prices again lol... so black will do... once I've got my new bike I'll look at ordering the graphic I want... but yeah...

MotoGirl
28th September 2008, 20:23

I just received a Raid II (http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOEI-TZ-R-TEMPEST-HELMET-TC-1-RED-BLACK-M-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ170266301837QQihZ007QQcategoryZ674 9QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) and it arrived here in six days. Not a bad wee purchase, if I do say so myself!