PDA

View Full Version : RG 150 sus oil leak?

FruitLooPs
3rd May 2006, 23:34
Hey guys, I've just gotten myself a RG150 last week.

Seems great so far, etc etc. I was wanting to check the powervalves since the thing has tad over 40k on the clock, still pulls hard from late 8,000rpm or so (although its my first bike so im not sure how hard it should do?).

It had some engine work about 5,000kms ago, but specifics im not sure of. Starts first go etc etc, im not too worried about it, i'll take a look at the piston etc sometime. Mainly wanted to check my valves werent about to visit mr. cylinder :yes:

So I removed the side fairing and decided against going much further since i needed to remove and probably flush the radiator, and time was ticking on (will do this at a later date though). Although something that concerned me is the large quantities of oil that was down the front of the engine.

I know absolutely nothing about 2-strokes really, aside from what little i've gathered in the last week or so. I'm hoping its a leaking gasket from the exhast manifold or something, although it is *quite* a lot of oil, and has made a fist sized blotch through the radiator easily visible on both sides. Maybe its just accumulated over the years, im not sure. :confused:

Anyhow I got some pics (night + cam phone +flash, soz), and wanted to know what folks opinions were for it, cyl gasket or anything serious or just wear and tear?

http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/rg150/Image008.jpg

http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/rg150/Image007.jpg

And one of the bike in question: http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/Image014.jpg :) And yes, a previous owner has gone to town painting the thing it seems, I wasn't even aware the wheels didnt come white factory (or do they?) until I saw another RG on here! I was initially suspicious of the painted frame, but all seems kosha - not bent or repaired so far as I can tell, stable at speed etc.

I'm happy with my purchase except for the possible associated bill with owning a 2-stroke with these Kms.

All the same, its been much fun so far, and lots more to come hopefully. I'm prepared to pick up a spanner for this thing, thats for sure.

Ixion
4th May 2006, 05:51
Wouldn't worry about it. Two smokers all blow oil out the zorst, looks like its an accumulation over years as you say. Leaking exhaust gasket. There's nowhere else there the oil can come from (ie it's not gearbox). And on a two stroke, there's no oil pressure as such. So an engine oil leak doesn't mean too much. Clean it up, run it and see if it reappears, and if it does where it's coming from. Petal does the same thing on the right hand cylinder, I am just too lazy to replace the gasket.

Motu
4th May 2006, 07:36
Pus oozing out - fairly normal if you don't clean your bike,an idea of how the previous owner looked after the bike,but nothing to be concerned about.

ZorsT
4th May 2006, 19:55
Mine had that when i got them (both of them)

After two cans of $2 degreaser from supercheap, it was cleaned up.

To stop it happening, i used LOTS of maniseal around the gasket. Its been clean ever since.

team cudby
4th May 2006, 20:13
Hey guys, I've just gotten myself a RG150 last week.

Seems great so far, etc etc. I was wanting to check the powervalves since the thing has tad over 40k on the clock, still pulls hard from late 8,000rpm or so (although its my first bike so im not sure how hard it should do?).

It had some engine work about 5,000kms ago, but specifics im not sure of. Starts first go etc etc, im not too worried about it, i'll take a look at the piston etc sometime. Mainly wanted to check my valves werent about to visit mr. cylinder :yes:

So I removed the side fairing and decided against going much further since i needed to remove and probably flush the radiator, and time was ticking on (will do this at a later date though). Although something that concerned me is the large quantities of oil that was down the front of the engine.

I know absolutely nothing about 2-strokes really, aside from what little i've gathered in the last week or so. I'm hoping its a leaking gasket from the exhast manifold or something, although it is *quite* a lot of oil, and has made a fist sized blotch through the radiator easily visible on both sides. Maybe its just accumulated over the years, im not sure. :confused:

Anyhow I got some pics (night + cam phone +flash, soz), and wanted to know what folks opinions were for it, cyl gasket or anything serious or just wear and tear?

http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/rg150/Image008.jpg

http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/rg150/Image007.jpg

And one of the bike in question: http://fruit.orcon.net.nz/Image014.jpg :) And yes, a previous owner has gone to town painting the thing it seems, I wasn't even aware the wheels didnt come white factory (or do they?) until I saw another RG on here! I was initially suspicious of the painted frame, but all seems kosha - not bent or repaired so far as I can tell, stable at speed etc.

I'm happy with my purchase except for the possible associated bill with owning a 2-stroke with these Kms.

All the same, its been much fun so far, and lots more to come hopefully. I'm prepared to pick up a spanner for this thing, thats for sure.check your overflow pipe from your powervalve cover to filter.Seems to be a common problem with these bikes.makes a hell of a mess if not checked

FruitLooPs
4th May 2006, 20:48
Yeah the lil breather pipe on the cover of the powervalve cover wasn't attached. It would seem that is the least of my worries now though ...

I opened the thing up and was presented with:

2x loose springs, one a fair bit shorter than the other..
1x top of the powervalve (where it gets held in place by the small top bar)
and the two halves of the surrounding bit that goes around the top of it.

Shite :( Not going to be cheap I take it, guess that explains the lack of low end power, im just real glad I didnt drop it into the cylinder since it was broken pretty severely.

I'll upload some pics in a second, We pulled the thing to bits but the valve is stuck in :( :( It comes 90% of the way out and wont budge, im not about to rip it out either incase it scratches the inside of the powervalve cylinder. Other one came out cake and seems nearly fine except it has a chip about 1-2mm on the bottom most blade at the very tip (contacted the piston?), is that replacement material or would it still function 90% of a normal one?

ZorsT
4th May 2006, 20:52
Was it the actual Valve itself or the clip that holds the springs in?

The clip and springs cost a mere $12 from memory

The valves are far far more...

FruitLooPs
4th May 2006, 20:57
And Pictures of the offending parts :(

31374 31375

In the second pic the part leftmost is half the surround that goes around the top of the powervalve, the middle part is the top itself, and the right is the other half of it.

So how should I best go about getting the valve out since its stuck? Also how much roughly are new valves today, those posts in 2004 quote $300 :( hope its better these days, even a little. What about second hand, yes/no? and does anyone make stronger ones?

Cheers, sorry for the long posts. Heh, trust my luck - not too fussed though, more glad that i didnt seize it while riding or anything.

ZorsT
4th May 2006, 21:06
Hard to tell from the pictures.

Got any less blurry ones?

SlowHand
4th May 2006, 21:11
valves are 300 each, 2 parts to em apparently. if a certain side breaks, you only gota replace one, but if its the other side, you have to replace both - or so im told. bad luck

Mr. Peanut
4th May 2006, 21:20
valves are 300 each, 2 parts to em apparently. if a certain side breaks, you only gota replace one, but if its the other side, you have to replace both - or so im told. bad luck

$300? Thats not so bad, try owning an RGV250 with 40,000km :pinch:

imdying
4th May 2006, 21:22
Try macro mode on your camera, it's the 'tulip shaped symbol' setting if it has it. Will focus down to about 30cm then, pretty hard to tell from what you've supplied thus far :(

FruitLooPs
4th May 2006, 21:32
Cell cam + no macro mode + terrible lighting = those pics. Sorry guys, should've taken them bigger.

But yeah, its not a matter of whether one is rooted, because it is - badly. But rather whether the chipped second one (which i tried to get a pic of but didnt in the end) is ok, and how much they cost etc.

Also techniques for getting the stuck valve out without scratching the cylinder would be appreciated too, since it wont come out the last lil wee bit.

If the blades themselves are OK, but the stem bit that holds them in isn't, can they be replaced seperately? or is it still one assembly, didnt really get a chance to examine them fully huh. Its at a friends place you see.

Might fork out for at least one valve tomorrow, depending on price etc - second hand valves may well have metal fatigue aswell yes?

The top of the part the valve that connects to the topmost bar:

imdying
4th May 2006, 21:53
I seem to remember there was big thread about RG150s not too long ago, and one of the things dicussed in some depth was how to get the valves out.

SlowHand
4th May 2006, 22:01
Also techniques for getting the stuck valve out without scratching the cylinder would be appreciated too, since it wont come out the last lil wee bit.

herein lies the reason i shouldnt touch engines. i woulda yanked the fucker out.

2nd hand p valves - bad cheese

FruitLooPs
4th May 2006, 22:01
Yeah there have been several threads, but none really go into any methods for removing stuck valves from memory. Might just have to force it out and hope for the best, really rather not though :(

If I could get some more oil in maybe, although it appears to have plenty - why would it be stuck the last little wee bit, thats whats most worrying. :nono:

FruitLooPs
5th May 2006, 10:35
Hmm Sportzone suzuki in chch gave a rough estimate likely $400 at least for one :gob: looks like I will be poor!

Anyone have ideas where I can purchase them in chch apart from there?

FruitLooPs
5th May 2006, 18:22
OK after model no and vin quoted its $302 for one, but im thinking i'll be needing two. :(

The dude reckons I should open the head to check the piston isn't damaged before doing anything, advice im definitely going to take. *crosses fingers and toes pistons not chipped*

Still need to pull that valve somehow, vicegrips mebbe - since its only got about 10% of the thing still in i'm hoping a nick wont matter, if it gets one. Probably will do though.

**UPDATE**

Ok instead of spamming posts I figure an edit will do. :D Pulled the top of the head off today, Piston has a nick in it :crybaby: Pulled the rest and it isn't very bad.

Well obviously its bad, but I mean the rings were fine and the side of the piston looks fine, just the top has a small burred bit less than a cm across where its contacted at some point.

Since i'll likely be getting new powervalves, and wont be able to afford a piston too - how bad would it be running the current piston? It ran fine before I pulled the thing apart, and it doesnt appear to be losing any compression over it or anything like that. The valve is *still* stuck in the bloody head, i've sawed the collar off that prevents the valve falling into the cylinder with the hopes of pushing it through but the valve has mashed so much it gets caught!

I'll file the burring off the valve and get it out. Anyhow, pictures speak a 1000 words.

Head is off, piston seems more or less fine.

And the piston itself, once again out of focus and horrible. But you can see the nick on the top of it at the front, reflecting. Kinda like if someone had squished a flathead screw driver in there or something. Doesnt go down more than 1mm or so on the side of the piston though, if that.