PDA

View Full Version : Talking v Riding

wkid_one
27th March 2003, 20:19
Hi Guys,,,,,

Just a thought following Mikes thread on riding alone.....

We are all here sharing a common interest - yet we don't seem to ride together???  Why is that.......we should be organising more rides together and discussing everything we discuss here over coffee/cake/fish&chips or oysters (in no particular order).......

I will ride with anyone (on the bike that is), email/text/call (021 0411814) - it makes more sense to enjoy both the riding and the talking together - WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK......

Provided no one head ons a car again!!

What day does everyone prefer to ride - Sat or Sun, and what is everyones fav ride.....if we collate this we should have enuf interesting rides to get us off here and on the roads!

MikeL
28th March 2003, 08:38
Count me in, provided you don't mind someone in the, er, um, more mature age bracket. I ride with Ulysses, sometimes on Sat, more often on Sun, so Saturdays would be best for me. Anywhere!

wkid_one
28th March 2003, 19:28
Wicked - I don't care how fast/slow/weird you ride, or how old/young you are....as long as we get to the same places, have something to eat and bullshit about how fast we were going through that 25kph corner (I did it at 200kph honest!)

All you learners out there, this is a gr8 way to improve your riding - and was exactly how I learnt........by riding with people with more experience/skill/talent than myself.........

Slim
29th March 2003, 00:01
Originally posted by MikeL
I ride with Ulysses,
I've heard stories about the average speeds on Ulysses rides!! :eek: ;)

If anyone's heading down Waikato way, PM me for my mobile number, and if I'm not working :rolleyes: I'll be up for a ride too. :D

BigB
30th March 2003, 20:31
Hi Wkid_One

Always keen for a ride, thanks for the drinks on Saturday and to Dan for putting my wallet out.

As per Dan request have video of the superbikes, give me a call on 021 354 010 so I can get to you.

Cheers

NhuanH
30th March 2003, 21:29
Provided no one head ons a car again!!  

Yup, I can promise you all, that is my sincere aim too :D 

I'll join you out there if you'll take the chance on someone with this dodgy riding record.  Now, what do you think a SJ50 will top out at?

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 14:35
Shall we aim for a blast on Saturday then - weather permitting - say to the Coromandel for some lunch???  They do nice Pacific Oysters and Steamed Mussels!!!

I will book an event - everyone welcome.......won't be fast (I had my fix on the track)  and for nhuanh sake we will stay clear of the Clevedon/Kaiaua Road and go via the Hunuas instead...

What does everyone think?

BigB - you are more than welcome to pop around anytime....the door is always open.....and unless I have been home all day - there is always beer in the fridge!!  Thanks for the tapes!  I'll text ya to pick them up.....

Dan

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 16:53
Righty ho then - here it is.........let's see what response we get - I am going anyway (provided the weather is amiable) - bring it on one and all - let's go for a ride

Right - for those who have expressed interest - and aren't going to track day.......here is a plannnnnnnnn

- Clevedon Shell at 9am
- Maungatawhiri via Hunuas (wicked switch backs)
(not via Kaiaua - road is shite, and last time someone tried to convert their GSXR750 in to a minimoto at the same time as parking it in the radiator of a Corolla - no NAMES!!)
- On to Kopu - BEER
- On to Coromandel Cafe for Lunch - via Thames
- Back out to Kopu via Tairoa (more beer)
- Home

If it is fine enough - we can have a BBQ at home, everyone welcome.......yee haa

It is about 450km round trip - wicked day, all sorts of roads - you'll love it

<B>All riders welcome: single, two-up, young, old, new, experienced, fast &amp; slow</B> Don't feel you can't come along, there will be plenty of places to stop and either wait or catch up......it is about enjoying the ride and company more than blazing roads.......

Dan

Coldkiwi
31st March 2003, 17:22
can't do saturday gents but hope you have a good time. Book me in for saturday 12th instead!

&nbsp;

MikeL
31st March 2003, 19:59
Bugger! This Saturday I've got to go to Tauranga - can't get out of it. Following weekend I'm free!
There'll be other occasions, hopefully...
Enjoy the day (may the weather gods smile on you).

Slim
31st March 2003, 23:29
Wkid_one - could you please give me an estimate on when you might make the Kopu Tavern???

If I don't overdo the alcohol this Friday night, I'll meet you there. Could you also please PM me your mobile number, just in case?

wkid_one
1st April 2003, 10:43
If we leave Clevedon at dead on 9 - it is about 90-100km - so should take about an hour or so, as the Hunua's are nice winding bit of roads bringing the speed down a bit and the stretch of motorway to Kopu is a cop infested snake of a road - so we should be there at about 1015-1030.&nbsp; If we get there any earlier we can wait if we know you are going to meet us there....

My mobile is 021 0411 814

Cheers

Dan

Slim
1st April 2003, 23:10
Thanks for that Dan. I'll text you Saturday AM to tell you if I'm coming or not.

:)

wkid_one
4th April 2003, 20:22
DON'T FORGET 9AM AT CLEVEDON SHELL - WEATHER IS SUPPOSED TO BE WICKED

PS - happy to arrange rides most weekends - let's try and get through everyones favourites ride!

bikerboy
8th April 2003, 18:20
How was the ride this weekend? Were there many up for it?

As usual I left everything to the last minute and then the site was off line so i couldn't get the info or phone numbers, so missed out. Now my e-mail is playing up, technology sucks!

Maybe next time.:o

Kwaka-Kid
9th April 2003, 23:06
doesnt it just :(

well im incredibly keen, altho i dont think i have the same sorta Money to spend in the weekends as you dan, (oysters etc etc, sounds like it gets expensive) + im only 17!!!! argh, i cant wait till august, yay yay yay.&nbsp; Not that i would drink before a ride anyway.

Who is keen to organise another ride in a weekends time or so (i gotta concrete all weekend to get the floor in the new workshop downstairs).

BigB
10th April 2003, 07:29
Hi Guys

The ride was a great day long affair, there was only five of us but the numbers didn't matter it was the ride.

Left Clevedon about 9.30 and we were off to Maungatawhiri via Hunuas, Dan didn't get us lost and there's some great road out there. Only thing to watch out for was patch's of road works and signs saying works end!! and 300 metres done the road more patchs.

Slim from Hamilton met us at Kopu and from there it was across to Tairua, over the hills is just made for a bike (if you don't get stuck behind a caravan!!!)

Then off to the Coromandel Cafe for lunch, all doing our own speed being such that we all got there safely and within 20 minutes of each other.

KK I can say the the cafe was not expensive I paid $7.50 for my meal.

From Coromandel it was off to Thames nice scenery and lots corners, also one very scary moment. Two up coming round a corner at speed hit a patch of dirt sitting in the middle of the road and feel the front sliding out from under you!!!!!:brick: Managed to stay upright butt hole has become inverted, slow down for the next few km's as heart rate comes back down.

Get to Kopu pub and the stories start. Then it was the long boring ride back to Auckland.

A fantastic day had by all, lets get out there and do more.

Kwaka-Kid
10th April 2003, 08:19
kool! sounds great, im keen then, unfortunatly maybe i should wait till my chain comes in a few months :/&nbsp; as mine needs adjujstment every fillup basically, and its only really got one more adjustment left.. hmm :/&nbsp; dunno what ill do next, take a link out.

Coldkiwi
11th April 2003, 12:24
a few months!? whats the hold up? if your chain is that rooted its probably not far from snapping and completely locking your engine (they tell me it takes less than 1/2 a second!).

Definitely time to get a new one man.

Kwaka-Kid
11th April 2003, 20:05
Tell me Coldkiwi... Were your parents rich? Were you brought up in a family Well off? or have you just forgotten what its like to be 17 with 4 motorcycles and a car all wanting wofs/regos/maintance constantly?&nbsp; I know and realise now its a crazy position to put myself in, but when your a poor teenager you cant just afford to splash out on new chains, and i feel the wait should save approx 50% price on the chain, im getting it wholesale but it means i must order from japan and next shipment comes in 6-7 weeks from now.&nbsp; So yes im taking a risk, but IMO i feel riding her gentally untill then is risking not very much for a major saving.

But then again, im only a teenager without much experience on taking risks with cahins.. well actually i lie, my GPZ750 got WAAAY more rooted then this one was, but i waited to get stuff cheap and rode her gentally and it was all good :)&nbsp; Nothing like the big mutha f***er 630 chain :P hahaha. Costly too.

Didnt mean to sound nasty or anything, but it aint easy being poor as hell and owning too many vechiles :/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I HATE POORNESS.&nbsp;&nbsp; But my workshop under the house is nearly finished :)

bikerboy
11th April 2003, 21:44
I promised myself I wouldn't let your unique attitude cause me to respond but I guess I'm weak, and I know I'm going to regret this.

If you can't afford to maintain your modes of transport in a safe condition, why do you own four bikes and a car? It sounds irresponsible to be riding/driving these potential death traps; bald tires, worn chains, etc..

You may not care or even feel the negative consequences are negligable but what about the rest of the public which may come to harm with you when one of these things "craps out'?

How do you reconcil this "devil may care" philosophy with your ambition to be one of society's "shining examples in blue"?:o

Kwaka-Kid
12th April 2003, 07:17
Firstly, I am selling 2 bikes, but as i said, i dont like the position ive put myself in either.&nbsp; Secondly, THE TYRES ARE NOT BALD! i swear to god i bought them as racing slicks officer...

Thirdly, They pay for my bike, They maintain it, They pay me at the end of the day to ride it.&nbsp; So basically i pay for nothing a get a mechanically good bike... You might say im practising for that now... not paying for maintanence etc.. except the bike becomes mechanically not-good :P

Fourthly, Im a teenager without a care for my own life, let alone anybody elses :P haha no sorry, i shouldnt joke about others lives.&nbsp; Well i believe that i am demonstrating good responsibility, riding out there and taking it extremely easy, and not crashing.&nbsp; It helps keep my speed down, knowing my slicks are made for the track and not the rough street :P&nbsp; Good example = last night, i went to a party @ around 9pm, could have taken the car, but nah, took the bike, the second i got outa titarangi it started pouring down, so what did i do? the responsible thing.. slowed down where needed and were i felt uncomfortable entering dark corners i did not know, and i let cars passed when they cought up to me, and i did the same thing only 30mins ago when i came home, aint i just responsible? :beer:

infact, :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: Give me lots of beer!

bluninja
12th April 2003, 09:30
KK, my heart bleeds purple piss for you:mad: poor teenager indeed. When I was 17 I could only afford a suzuki A100, by the time I was 19 I managed a car, but couldn't afford to run a car AND a bike (and the bike wasn't up to 1500 km in a weekend to see my girlfriend). The only reason I could afford to run them was that I was an engineering apprentice and had access to workshops and tools (for free) to repair and maintain my vehicles. Did I run with bald tyres, or overstretched chains? No I walked, and got lifts until I could pay for the stuff I needed.

BTW what heaps of junk.....errr bikes are you selling....maybe someone will see them here and buy them so you can afford to keep yourself and others safe.

TTFN

MikeL
12th April 2003, 09:56
And when I was 17, not only did I have to walk 10 miles backwards in the snow to get to school...
Seriously, KK, even though the world has changed since the bad old days, some things are still the same: unless you're very, very fortunate, you have to allocate scarce resources (i.e. money) the most economically - maximum benefit for minimum outlay. With four bikes and a car your resources must be stretched very thin, so it's not surprising that you want to cut corners on maintenance costs. False economy, my friend. It might work for a while, but sooner or later it will catch up with you. Better, I think, to have one good, safe, reliable bike than 4 dodgy ones. And if you really need two bikes for different purposes, what about getting rid of the car?
BTW congrats on doing the responsible thing last night. Keep it up - it might become a habit, and you'll survive to become another boring old f*rt like the rest of us and can then take pleasure in dishing out advice to reckless 17 year olds...:D

MikeL
12th April 2003, 09:58
P.S. What the hell am I doing sitting in front of a computer at 10 o'clock on a beautiful, fine Saturday morning???
No more advice. I'm going for a ride.

bluninja
12th April 2003, 10:03
Good for you. I got some work to do, then prep my bike and load the trailer for a trip to Taupo tomorrow to go racing....weather forecast for tomorrow is fine.:D :D

Kwaka-Kid
12th April 2003, 11:46
Neat bluninja!.

hmm i spose i see some of ur guys points, but still, hmm, you dont understand, you dont even know me! :@ :P hahaha nooim kidding, trying to sound like a typical rebel teen.

Fair enough, well im selling my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750A2, done 100,000km. due for a new camchain, but ive done the tensioner (smoothed etc). runs well, does use a little oil, i just tensioned the head and seems to have stopped the leaking around the barrels. new WOF + REGO + Brand new 630 chain + 2x sprockets, only been used for under 1000km, oh and new old front tyre, unused, but hard, perfect for economy, and the back is about, hmm, 50-60% worn?&nbsp; how much is it worth?

CB250RS, perfect little bike, dont ever check the tyres, the bike weighs only 120kg and on hard tyres its perfect, i reckon you could get an easy 100,000km outta the tyres :P umm, yeah mechanically MINT, black tank on blue bike. Everything done on top end, i cant stress how perfect that motor is, $1400? new WOF + REGO.&nbsp; but actually its kinda taken, my dads mate wants it to learn to ride again, but if for some reason he changes his mind then ill sell to anyone.

thats basically it. Hmm, ill be selling the old 1988 Mazda 323 Wagon later on i think, then getta old '85 Toyota MR2 MK1 AW11, gotta love em! closest car you can get to a motorcycle in my mind :)

wkid_one
12th April 2003, 20:57
New Ride then - what day in the Easter Break shall we blast....

I just got back from the Auck-Well-Auck trip - roads are surprisingly good, and apart from the speeding ticket, the ride rocked (as much as straight up and down riding can be)...

KK - this time make sure you turn up.......

Kwaka-Kid
13th April 2003, 08:28
the server went down last time :/

And I dunno, argh, i want to but i know that hard use is only going to be detrimental to my chain on my 400, and thats the only bike im likly to take.&nbsp; Unless i bring out the old slapper of a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E Street fighter style with little bikini fairing and belly pan? Bright yellow too :)&nbsp; Its got incredibly shit brakes but it suits the bike as any brakes that actually stopped in a hurry are only as good as the tyres, and as you can imagine, i dont exactly splash out on rubber :)&nbsp;&nbsp; That GS pulls like a mother f***er from low revv's tho, mean accel&nbsp; even in 5th gear @ 2,000rpm :)

Redstar
13th April 2003, 17:21
missed this thread but anyway this weekend was shot three kids to deal to but given enough notice keen as to do the next one.
maybe we should adopt a pub for meets? the birdcage have a thing going.in Auckland but not forgetting Wellington do they have pubs yet? five not to be sniffed at.

Kwaka-Kid
13th April 2003, 22:53
nice thinking redstar :)&nbsp; i fully agree.

And redstar, are you likly to be riding out on the old 400? If so at least ill have somone with as slow a bike as me :) just not as unskilled/slow a rider as me damnit :P

Damn nice bike thru the bends i must say - not that ive had much experience on bikes, i think ive only ridin *counts*12 odd bikes :/ and non in that midrange cc rating.&nbsp; Anyways the next bike im keen to ride is the old Kawasaki Z1300, remember them? old man had one.. never got to ride it as i was only 9-10 and still learning on the old SL/XL125's :)&nbsp;&nbsp; but now that is a bike! waaahhoooo oldskool streightliner! :D

BigB
14th April 2003, 12:44
Hi Wkid

As always I'm keen to get out, T and I have all next week off so no doubt if the weathers fine we'll be on the bike.

Do you have any photos from the last ride as I'm keen to see them??

Cheers

B

Coldkiwi
14th April 2003, 13:24
No KK, my parents didn't finance my bike obsession. In fact, they said exactly the opposite 'you can ride, but we're NOT paying'. Hence, I worked for&nbsp;2 years part time doing dishes and laboruing over the summer (not glamourous but earned cash) to buy my GPX, worked again for 2 years doing dishes and summer work to buy my ZXR 250 and i've been working full time to finance my 6R! I've bought it all (gear, bikes/maintenence) myself&nbsp; and can't afford a car yet because I'd rather have a decent bike that i can look after and enjoy rather than ride it into the ground to 'save costs'.

&nbsp;

I agree with Mike.. .skimping on maintenance (specially critical stuff like chains) is only going to lead to problems eh.

Just look at Tranzrail :) No money on maintenance to make their profit look good and now they're up the creek withno decent assets! Silly beggars :P

&nbsp;

SPman
14th April 2003, 17:57
Dan,

Saturday, if its fine. Friday is pig out on hot cross bun day and Sunday is pig out on chocolate day!.....hmm, or maybe Monday.

&nbsp;But which direction?

Kwaka-Kid
14th April 2003, 21:28
Upwards?

and sorry guys i dont think ill make it, im @ end of adjustment on chain and shes slappin the swingarm.&nbsp; So im taking a link out now tonite and going to continue adjusting, just for 6-7 weeks till my chain lands in auckland :)

BigB
15th April 2003, 19:01
Hi Wkid

Any ideas about the ride this weekend, Saturday is good for us.

But keen to ride any day.

cheers

wkid_one
17th April 2003, 02:06
How about a gentle ride to Kawhia???

Meet at Autobahn at 9am - go via Rangiriri to miss the motorway.&nbsp; A lot more open road stuff - but some good corners to roll in to at wicked speeds - then the road to Kawhai gets all nasty!

Just an idea?

&nbsp;

BigB
17th April 2003, 03:09
sound good to me, Saturday then ?

:done: