Better start writing the FAQ on how not to clean your chain :nono:

John Banks
4th May 2006, 23:49
:bye: lunch

Hope you're alright.

Gremlin
4th May 2006, 23:52
hmmmm, you have done a pretty good job on that :gob:

Now, you should also know, you don't post something like that, especially in survival skills with pictures, and say "Don't ask".

Of course, we want all the details, in a humorous tone (ie, a good read), with a serious lesson at the end. :doobey:

skidMark
4th May 2006, 23:54
gulp :|

dude hope you are ok and hope they can stitch it back on :gob:

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 00:33
We have X Rays :yes:

2much
5th May 2006, 00:42
Dude, that sux.

Sex life is gonna suffer...... unless you figure out how to use your left hand...

NotaGoth
5th May 2006, 00:51
Nice cleaning method.. But doesn't the blood leave a bit of a mess?

Thats gross man.. :(

T.W.R
5th May 2006, 00:51
Ouch! thats going to make an awesome battle scar. Tell them you've got a really low pain threshold :blip: its going to be a thumper in the morning.

:doobey: hope it heals up OK

Back Fire
5th May 2006, 01:00
Thats brilliant stuff! I love it!! good effort :rockon:

Marknz
5th May 2006, 02:30
aha, so you tried to clean the chain with the engine running and in gear... right?

:bye:

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 03:04
X-Rays in :blah:

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 03:10
aha, so you tried to clean the chain with the engine running and in gear... right?

:bye:

I didnt try, I cleaned it! Its spotless, just got the drying rag a bit close to the sprocket :angry2:

kiwifruit
5th May 2006, 03:14
Farking ell!
that sux man :(

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 03:33
Better pic now its been washed out, and yes thats the bone poking out :headbang:

ManDownUnder
5th May 2006, 04:10
Mate that's not good, good luck with recouperation (and remember pain killers are your friend)

A few pointers for those out in KB land... don't use rags or have loose clothing near rotating machinery. It catches, it's got nowhere to go (no where harmless anyway) and don't count on the fact you can let go of the rag in time. You're not that good - it happens surprisingly fast.

Brushes are a better alternative, but still far from ideal, and only put them in contact in such a way the machines will spit them out, rather than pull them (and possibly you) in. This means putting the brush at the spot where the chain LEAVES the sprocket.

Better still - compressed air, or pressurised spray (Contact cleaner for example... expensive, but I'd do it every time in preference to using a rag).

Sorry for the lecture, but machines chopping bits off is a topic I have been involved with too much for my personal liking. I've also noticed the machines don't say sorry... and you can't turn back time and make the problem go away.

fast135
5th May 2006, 09:05
I hope your ok.
im glad that NONE of my Bike/scooters have chains.
the Guzzi is shaftdrive and the scooters are belt or directdrive.

marty
5th May 2006, 09:16
gutted. been there done that, through a v-belt pulley. be prepared for 6 months rehab. they will probably take it back to the knuckle, as there's not enough skin to wrap over the bone. either that, or they'll attach the thumb to the palm, to allow blood flow and skin growth. if they do that, it's 8 weeks with your thumb attached to your palm, then another 20-30 or so after that. I don't think they'll cut the thumb right off, as it's so important, although they *may* cut the thumb off, then the little finger or a toe, and replace it where the thumb was, to give it length and keep the end of it useful - the tip of my finger is still so sensitive (injury in october 2005) that i cannot pick up anything with it, hold a pen to write, or even use it to type, and i managed to retain/regrow some fingernail.

this is a substatial injury that takes a lot of healing. Bextra, if you can get it, will be your friend.

Paul in NZ
5th May 2006, 09:22
Looks awful familiar to me dude.

Cept in my case it was a purple BSA resting itself on my thumb at 100kph... Funny thing is, every male in my family has a digit mangled... Says something I suppose!

Dad - half 1 finger gone in a bike chain when he was a kid
Older Bro - end of finger gone from a car accident (split screen morris minor chrome bar)
Me - Thumb mangled to bits - Purple BSA
Little Bro - Toe - Frost bite

Little Bro is kinda letting the side down a bit we think but he just bought a super fast car so there is hope yet.

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 09:47
Well I now have the official word! 10 Days before I can put it in a glove :blah: 4-6 Weeks for proper healing. Need to get booked in for next months Taupo track day :yes:

MSTRS
5th May 2006, 09:58
Well I now have the official word! 10 Days before I can put it in a glove :blah: 4-6 Weeks for proper healing. Need to get booked in for next months Taupo track day :yes:
Injury photoshopped, was it? Or you are damned lucky.

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 10:21
Injury photoshopped, was it? Or you are damned lucky.

No photoshop :nono:, just croped and resized for web!

Paul in NZ
5th May 2006, 11:12
No photoshop :nono:, just croped and resized for web!

Your reasonably lucky. I cut all the tendons in my left hand when I did mine and was lucky to get most of the use back (thumb does not bend but it's still hanging on)

12 weeks before I could get a glove on, did about 10km before some prat in a Mk2 Zodiac ran over me.. (same bike)

I lay in the gutter bleeding, under the BSA and under the Zodiac and thought - this damn bike has got it in for me, it's gotta GO....

Ixion
5th May 2006, 11:17
I lay in the gutter bleeding, under the BSA and under the Zodiac and thought - this damn bike has got it in for me, it's gotta GO....

it was natural and understandable resentment at being painted purple! I mean to say, a purple Beeza?

thatHurt
5th May 2006, 11:42
unless you figure out how to use your left hand...

Yeah - I had to do that after I broke my collar bone pranging a step through honda postie bike when I was ummm a very young man

SDU
5th May 2006, 11:47
ouch! Hope the morphine was pumped in fast.
Hope you don't have any complications with the healing.

I seen a few guys lose a finger or two at work years ago & most recovered fairly fast considering (one even managed to have fingers resewn on after someone chucked it around the room trying to scare us gals) and were back at work in about a month. One was riding by then too.
All the best 4 healing.

SDU

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 12:01
ouch! Hope the morphine was pumped in fast.
Hope you don't have any complications with the healing.

I seen a few guys lose a finger or two at work years ago & most recovered fairly fast considering (one even managed to have fingers resewn on after someone chucked it around the room trying to scare us gals) and were back at work in about a month. One was riding by then too.
All the best 4 healing.

SDU

It actually dosent hurt that much, haven't needed any morphine, anasetic or painkillers yet, its a bit like a throbing headake, only in the middle of ya thumb.

Healing should be pretty straightfoward, (I hope) :yes:

MSTRS
5th May 2006, 12:09
So what was done to repair the damage? End sewn back on, or...

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 12:14
Nothing yet, still sitting here with an IV in my arm waiting for the theater to free up.

Theyr'e going to trim back the bone and graft the skin up I belive. :woohoo:

MSTRS
5th May 2006, 12:18
*shudder* Good luck with that, mate.

Str8 Jacket
5th May 2006, 12:20
Well I made the mistake of viewing this thread while having a lunch break at my desk as was the work colleague that I showed the photos to. He went kinda green and isnt speaking to me at the moment... Ouch! looks very uncomfortable, hope things go well and you are healed up in no time. Good luck and happy healing!

Paul in NZ
5th May 2006, 12:42
it was natural and understandable resentment at being painted purple! I mean to say, a purple Beeza?

Actually, during my enforced illness I kicked it straight and painted it silver and black and still got knocked off. Bloody thing was still purple underneath i reckon! Bastard bike! Chrome reverse cone megga, metalflake purple (no less) and i only bought it because it was cheap and had a stand... Goddam stand fell off and I rode over it on the ride home from purchasing it..... Evil I tells ya!

bert_is_evil
5th May 2006, 12:57
Probably doesn't hurt much (yet...) because all of the nerves have been severed. Trimming back the bone sounds really unpleasant

emaN
5th May 2006, 13:46
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!
that's just naaaaasty!!!

but thanks for the gory pix!

:niceone: << pls excuse the pun,but it had to be done ;)

XTC
5th May 2006, 13:49
Where's the pic of your nice clean chain??

kickingzebra
5th May 2006, 13:54
Good stuff mate!! Was doing my chain last night with a brush, and even that scared me. Doesn't take much to get complacent, I've worked with factory workers who have chopped digits off (incorrect guards etc)
Hope she heals up OK!

klingon
5th May 2006, 17:58
eeeewww! This thread should come with a warning!

SN4PD
5th May 2006, 18:01
Well I'm just outta theater, and all seems well :D Bit of a grogy stomach though :sick:

Zed
5th May 2006, 18:17
I'm glad i'm not eating my dinner looking at this thread, and *wow* even photos of you flat on your back in theatre lol!

Mate, just met ya last nite at Albany and rode home along the motorway with you, and within that space of time you've become thumbless!! At least you've got that laptop to keep you distracted...

I hope you don't suffer too much pain and that they make a nice tidy job of it all. :bye:

crashe
5th May 2006, 19:16
wow awesome pic's mate...:yes:
they are soooooo cool.

Seriously you look after yourself.... and take those painkillers.

R6_kid
5th May 2006, 20:42
lol liam mate, are you really good at out of body experience and taking photos or did they let someone into the theatre while they were operating.

Just out of interest, do you now get a stump or are they reattaching nail etc?

sedge
5th May 2006, 20:46
Just scanned the thumbnails on the way in to the thread... Thought it was a damaged man sausage for a sec :) Heh heh... And maybe you'd been loving the bike a little too much.

Sedge.

froggyfrenchman
5th May 2006, 21:09
Ouch. My finger looked like that after an unfortunate butchery accident (dont lend your mesh gloves to the newbie) Ive found that where the bone was poking out... it is now super sensitive, especially if i bump it.

Best of luck for speedy recovery and lets hope somone has lernt a lesson from your pain

XTC
5th May 2006, 22:02
......it is now super sensitive, especially if i bump it.
A bit like my circumcision..... Fanbelt anyone??

Kittyhawk
5th May 2006, 22:51
I'll save the lecture till when I see you next. And this aint how you are ment to cristen ya bike!!:innocent:

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 07:51
lol liam mate, are you really good at out of body experience and taking photos or did they let someone into the theatre while they were operating.

Just out of interest, do you now get a stump or are they reattaching nail etc?

I gave the O.R. strict instructions and a quick lesson on my digicam before they KO'd me :blah:

Pity It went flat halfway through....

I should have a sharpened stump :beer: Have to check with the 'cheap suits' this morning; when I came out it was all bandaged up :mellow:

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 07:55
And this aint how you are ment to cristen ya bike!!:innocent:

Ooh, does it involve alcaholic breverages :blip: enlighten me :shifty:

Colapop
6th May 2006, 08:01
Good to see a positive attitude. Keep that up throughout this whole deal and you'll be onto a winner. So what did you actually do again? I read the thread but couldn't see where you confirmed what you'd done....
You may be quite surprised how much you'll miss that bit til you've figured out how not to use it.

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 08:07
Bike, 1'st gear, chain, rag, thumb, sprocket, BLOOD!!! :D :yes:

Colapop
6th May 2006, 08:09
Hopefully you won't be doing that again!! So they gonna stick a plaster on it?

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 08:37
Hopefully you won't be doing that again!! So they gonna stick a plaster on it?

LOL, no plaster. The official word is that they thinned it down, chopped off a bit more flesh, (the putoline ceramic wax was well embedded :yes:), then grafted the tip and nail bed on from the decapitated end, and bandaged me back up :devil2:

Zapf
6th May 2006, 15:27
OUCH... think this needs to go into the motorcycle road code... "how not to clean your chain" easy to get wrong when u are new to motorcycles.

kiwifruit
6th May 2006, 15:56
Good to see you remaining positive Liam,
i would struggle to handle it as well as you are.
Was wet as at the track yesterday, so unless you have great wet tyres
and like to ride in the rain..... you didn't miss too much.
Lucky 4 me i have and i don't mind, so it was ok.
I hope it all heals up 4 you asap,
might see you another time! :)

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 16:23
Good to see you remaining positive Liam,
i would struggle to handle it as well as you are.
Was wet as at the track yesterday, so unless you have great wet tyres
and like to ride in the rain..... you didn't miss too much.
Lucky 4 me i have and i don't mind, so it was ok.
I hope it all heals up 4 you asap,
might see you another time! :)

Whens the nxt trackday?

Titanium
6th May 2006, 16:46
I like the "thumbnails attached" on the pictures, or not attached as the case may be.

Shaft drive bike for you.......one and a half thumbs UP!

:nono:

kiwifruit
6th May 2006, 17:51
Whens the nxt trackday?
in around 6 weeks :)
will let you know

SN4PD
6th May 2006, 17:54
in around 6 weeks :)
will let you know

Book me in :woohoo:

kiwifruit
6th May 2006, 17:58
Not promising anything Liam, but id say i will get u into the next one free,
since u didn't really get much value outa this one :P

Phenoix
7th May 2006, 10:26
Yea, you must be gutted you missed the track day, after you started cleaning your bike and all.
Hope the blood doesn't make things rust.
Give me a call when they let ya back on the phone, if your able to dial :P

Look after ya self

SN4PD
7th May 2006, 11:07
Yea, you must be gutted you missed the track day, after you started cleaning your bike and all.
Hope the blood doesn't make things rust.
Give me a call when they let ya back on the phone, if your able to dial :P

Look after ya self

Im not going to live this one down am I ;) And yess I'll call... :shifty:

SN4PD
7th May 2006, 11:38
Not promising anything Liam, but id say i will get u into the next one free,
since u didn't really get much value outa this one :P

You kidding, I got an ambo ride, a treasure hunt (finding the lost finger in A&E), free food, lots of cool photos and a clean house! (Flatmates did a major tidy up after I covered the lounge / kitchen in blood :D) Oh, and 4 more rep points ;)

Phenoix
7th May 2006, 13:29
You kidding, I got an ambo ride, a treasure hunt (finding the lost finger in A&E), free food, lots of cool photos and a clean house! (Flatmates did a major tidy up after I covered the lounge / kitchen in blood :D) Oh, and 4 more rep points ;)

SHit your a classic, I suppose thats one way to get out of cleaning you lazy sod.
What did your parents say ?

SN4PD
12th May 2006, 11:12
Friday update :nya:

SN4PD
12th May 2006, 11:13
Stiches come out mid next week, should be back on the road soon after that :D

"D" FZ1
12th May 2006, 11:19
Looks nasty :sick:

sAsLEX
12th May 2006, 11:19
Friday update :nya:

first pic look like your dipping it in your lunch!

kickingzebra
12th May 2006, 12:39
Mmm, about lunchtime....
Finger food, with Iodine dip! My flavourite!!

ManDownUnder
12th May 2006, 15:42
It's not looking too bad mate... imagine if it'd bee further up your finger - or your arm...?!?

Storm
12th May 2006, 15:55
Best of luck with a speedy recovery mate

sAsLEX
12th May 2006, 16:25
It's not looking too bad mate... imagine if it'd bee further up your finger - or your arm...?!?

grandfather did up to his wrist in a mincing machine, had to take it nearly back to the elbow though due to shattered bone.

ManDownUnder
12th May 2006, 16:27
grandfather did up to his wrist in a mincing machine, had to take it nearly back to the elbow though due to shattered bone.
oooooo

For some reason the obvious hambuger jokes seem off limits right now...

Goblin
12th May 2006, 16:43
:niceone: Haha..My grandfather did his ring finger & pinky down to the second knuckle in a mincing machine too. He used to put the stumps up to his nostrils like he had the whole fingers up his nose.:laugh:

Lou Girardin
14th May 2006, 07:28
So now we need safety warnings on cleaning rags?

Phenoix
14th May 2006, 09:03
So now we need safety warnings on cleaning rags?

Nope just on chains saying do not cleaning if moving, :Punk:

It's looking good now, maybe one of these days, we'll have our bikes going at the SAME time for a ride :headbang:

SN4PD
14th May 2006, 09:46
Nope just on chains saying do not cleaning if moving, :Punk:

Never! Then I'd have to elbow grease :laugh:

It's looking good now, maybe one of these days, we'll have our bikes going at the SAME time for a ride :headbang:

So you've finished painting it now?

Phenoix
14th May 2006, 10:29
Ask me at the end of the day.
Its the first amount of decent weather we've had to be able to paint.
Im hoping most of it will be done.
As of Saturday, no primer on yet.