PDA

View Full Version : My first crash :(

dhunt
6th May 2004, 16:38
Well it's got to happen sooner or later but ...

I was coming home from Massey Yesturday afternoon, coming up to an intersection with a car coming the other way turning right across me. car starts rolling, I slow down. Car stops (figured they saw me), I carry on, Car starts up again, all over!!! :(

I had full leathers on so didn't come off to bad. 1 sprained wrist, 1 sprained ankle, one bruised knee and one fractered ankled (now plastered for 6 weeks)

Afterwards while I was trying to sleep. (painfully) I tried to figure out what some tips would be to reduce the effects of a crash.

1. Wear the right gear. Wearing leathers probably saved me from some serious road rash and worse injuries.

2. You aren't Invincible YOU ARE INVISIBLE. In my case the lady driver wasn't looking at me and didn't see me at all :(

3. Always drive defensively. Maybe If I had slowed down more before hand it wouldn't be sooo bad.

Well that's me, At the moment. Hopefully I can get some money out of her insurance for a new bike :)

duckman
6th May 2004, 16:44
I'm sorry to hear about your off Dhunt. I hope the injuries don't take too long to heal or steer you away from riding again.

If you need any help with the bike just post a message - Theres plenty of helpful folk here.

Get better soon... :2thumbsup

Motoracer
6th May 2004, 16:46
Well done for wearing the right gear. You get A+ for that. Sorry to hear about the accident. Its really bad when it happens to yourself.

Goodluck on getting back on the road asap.

P.S. Nice job on banging up that cage :niceone:

White trash
6th May 2004, 16:47
Man, that sucks!

Nice job on the Capella though. That'll make her think twice from now on too.

i hope you heal real soon and if you ever need a hand, as Duckman says, just post it up and you'll plenty of assistance.

dhunt
6th May 2004, 16:50
Hey, I was wearing steel cap leather high top boots. And both ankles got wacked up a bit. Do proper riding boots protect them better?

Motoracer
6th May 2004, 16:56
Hey, I was wearing steel cap leather high top boots. And both ankles got wacked up a bit. Do proper riding boots protect them better?

They are way better than conventional boots. If you aren't riding a sports bike, you might wana look at MX boots cause they prolly offer the best protection.

There is no safety guaranty though. A mate broke his ankle twice in seperate occasions with the SIDI vertebra (or what ever they are called) racing boots. It was them flashy top of the line ones with chrome plastic bits hanging off it.

Hitcher
6th May 2004, 16:58

I still managed to twist my ankle while wearing a "proper motorcycle boot". I wonder how much worse it may have been if I hadn't!

Great job on the Capella! I presume the forks are bent back on your NV? It's hard to tell from the photo.

Good luck with the recovery and get back on that horse!

dhunt
6th May 2004, 17:04
Yeah I thought I did a good job to the car :)

Yeah the forks are bent and the frame is slightly bent. I guess it is a right off. Brand new back tyre :(

David

MrMelon
6th May 2004, 17:05
Sounds pretty unfortunate.

I'm in the same boat kinda, got my leg plastered up for another 5 weeks :(

White trash
6th May 2004, 17:06

i didn't hear! how'd you do that?

Big Dog
6th May 2004, 17:14
(now plastered for 6 weeks)
Are you sure thats a good idea? given the pain killers and all? :sly:

Sounds like your in good spirits and have taken the sensible option of reviewing the situation to see how you could be safer. Look at it this way you have popped your cherry and your still here to tell the tale, what hasn't killed you will make you stronger, if you learn from it.

Rule number one: They did not see you! :weep:
Rule number two: If they do see you, they are trying to hit you. :gob:

Sounds a bit rough but you will feel a rush of success / feeling of victory every time you arrive safe and you will be less likely to end up in plaster of worse, soil if you religeously adhere to these rules. :2thumbsup

Wenier
6th May 2004, 17:16

Wut happend to u Mr Melon

And sorry to hear the DHunt hope ya get some insurance outa her looks like ya did a good amount of damage to the cage. get well soon and definitely get another bike.

Big Dog
6th May 2004, 17:25
Nice job on the Capella though. That'll make her think twice from now on too.
From the pics it looks like the bike is repairable and the capella is not. That looks like at least two bent chassis rails to me.

:not:

toads
6th May 2004, 18:00
So sorry to read about your misfortune Dhunt, I guess your injuries could have been way worse looking at the state of her car and your bike though.
Not much comfort when you are stuck in plaster for 6 weeks and your bike is totalled though, wishing you a speedy recovery, by the way how do you rate the nv400, my husband has a custom version, I think it's pretty cool, it sounds nice! cheers Lucy

dhunt
6th May 2004, 18:10
I really enjoyed the NV400. Very smooth and quiet (drive shaft not chain) much torquey at low revs compared to a CB400.

Will miss it :( Well I've got 6 weeks to sort out what going to happen to it/what bike am I going to get.

David

Ms Piggy
6th May 2004, 18:11
Oh nooooo! You have my BIGGEST sympathies. :( It must've been bloody scary!!

You do sound pretty positive about the whole thing though. Rest up and keep up the pain killers...you'll need 'em.

Oh yeah and when you are all healed get back on and :ride: :ride: :ride:

magnum
6th May 2004, 20:45
hey sorry to hear of your misfortune,stay positive and heal quick.dont be put off bikes. :sunny:

Marknz
6th May 2004, 21:10
sorry to hear of the crash dude, but good luck with the rehab and enjoy thumbing through all those mags looking for a replacement.

James Deuce
6th May 2004, 22:26
Bad luck mate - you've got a good attitude though. Good to see that you are learning from your experience. I hope everything goes well with the ankle, and I've found Neurofen+ best for bone pain.

Cheers

fpsware
6th May 2004, 22:29
Bummer, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get better soon. I had an accidnet 6 weeks ago (broken shoulder, ribs, arm), truck pulled out in front of me. I got back on a bike on Sunday.

Fortunately because of the surgery on my arm they did not put on a full plaster, they put on whats called a "back plane", it allows them access to the surgery wound. And for that I was grateful, because I was out of the plaster in only 2 weeks. I don't know how I would handle being in it for 6 weeks. Good luck. And again sorry to hear about your accident.

Firefight
7th May 2004, 06:54
Bad news mate, but great that your okay, It has been talked about time and time again, but full protection is the only way to ride, good on you for that. :2thumbsup , Likewise I found nurofen+ the answer for bone related pain, somtimes a few glasses of dark rum are good as well, just don't mix with your meds or :crazy: :confused2 :puke: may occur.
Hope for a speeding recovery and back on the bike :ride: sonn as.

Firefight. (hope I don't get the blame for this one as well :Pokey: CK)

James Deuce
7th May 2004, 07:11

Oi!! What happened!?

Bummer man. :(

maybe
7th May 2004, 21:08
October last year I had a Taylor s drycleaning van do a u turn in front of me on my intruder........two weeks ago I finally got to court and he Taylors were ordered to pay me $2026 for the damage to the bike as they had refused to pay........I was also lucky and only had minor injuries (5Days off work).

jrandom
7th May 2004, 21:24
dhunt - I should have posted to this thread earlier but my sympathies dude, glad you're mendable. Full gear - usual comments. Well done. Eventually happens to just about everyone, be glad you've got it out of the way. Dodgy westies eh...

I like your attitude, you have brass ones and qualify as a Real Biker. Looking forward to hearing about the Next Bike choice.

wkid_one
8th May 2004, 08:16

Yeah - but you fell off a mountain bike you plonker......all that danger of riding a motorbike and YOU fall off a push bike and break you leg ------ohhhhhh the irony is killing me..... :msn-wink: :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

Coldkiwi
8th May 2004, 16:27

yeah, they generally will. Biker boots (specially the sporty ones) will normally have a nice stiff sole to protect your toe bones (some medical type can insert the right names, I can't remember them) and will have ankle protectors to spread any lateral impacts. many of the higher spec ones (look a bit odd but worth it!) have decent shin armour and are MUCH stiffer (ie. sidi vertebra types that have interlocking plates like back protectors) than touring biker boots. When I went looking for some boots for use at the track and started trying to bend a few pairs to see what they'd do for my ankles etc in a big off, I was shocked by how floppy a lot of the boots were and how flexible the soles are.

Guys that get broken ankles while wearing sports riding boots can probably thank the boot makers or they might be varnishing a stump instead!

Sounds like you've learnt some good lessons from your crash though so good on you! Its always bummer to see your pride and joy on the road but its so important to understand what happened so you can avoid it next time.

Here's to a quick recovery :apint:

Big Dog
8th May 2004, 19:13
I really enjoyed the NV400. Very smooth and quiet (drive shaft not chain) much torquey at low revs compared to a CB400.

Will miss it :( Well I've got 6 weeks to sort out what going to happen to it/what bike am I going to get.

David
You could always buy it back from the insurers and rebuild it? (would not waste my time if chassis is bvenmt but.)

Did that with two bikes. both times I had change from the payout which I proptly spent on more gear / mods.

aff-man
11th May 2004, 08:59
Sorry to hear about the bin mate. But hopefully you'll have a nice newish bike waiting for you patiently in the garage when your cast comes off. Have fun shopping.

Sk8r_Boi_
11th May 2004, 09:30
Yeah my first crash was on a 1998 suzuki rg150 , i was going though a roundabout and this dick didnt give way and he hit the back of my motobike and it flipped and i was in the air all the way till i came to a stop on the ground (Distance i went was about 6-8 metres, probably more :confused2 ) but now i have a 1991 kawasaki zxr250r its on i still have my rg150 probably use it for racing sometime :shit:

FROSTY
11th May 2004, 10:59
Sorry to hear about your bin dude.
Its already been sain in the thread. The good gear saved you bad injuries.
Maybee its your chance to upgrade to a bigger bike.

dhunt
11th May 2004, 11:59
Sorry to hear about your bin dude.
Its already been sain in the thread. The good gear saved you bad injuries.
Maybee its your chance to upgrade to a bigger bike.

Yeah from what all I hear I got off really lightly. But the next 6 weeks an't going to fun.

I've been looking at upgrading for a while but no money so this might be my chance :)

David

ManDownUnder
20th May 2004, 15:23
You were innocent and some mad cow ran you over. :ar15: :thud:

Look after #1, and good luck with the bones and bike!
MDU