PDA

View Full Version : What to do about tailgaters?

beanz
6th May 2004, 17:09
Right, this should be an interesting topic, once it gets going...

I'm still a nooB to this whole motorbiking thing, so am trying to get as much road-time in as possible. And as well as all the exillerating things, like leaning over in the wet, and pulling out into fast moving traffic, I'm finding that more and more cagers are following much to close! One guy today was about a metre behind me!!

Normally, in my split personality as a driver, I'd do one of two things. 1) Drop a couple of gears, and listen to the whistle of the turbo as I leave the dumbass in a dust cloud, or 2) Jam on the brakes, and drive really painfully slow until a double lane bit comes up, then goto #1.

So what to do on my RG150, on a learner licence, with no L-plate? Option 2 isn't really the safest plan of attack. And my Suzy can't really accelerate in a way that would impress both me and the bastard behind me.

So what to do???!

I guess I could bring in option #3, to just ignore it, but that somehow goes against my religion. I guess I could lift my ass, and pull a browneye... :shake: Or pull the fingers (or fist, in classic NZ Harley-Styles).

Would be keen to hear from other riders, who find satisfying solutions to this type of situation. :ar15:

James Deuce
6th May 2004, 17:14
Pull over and let them go. They'll kill you if they don't stop in time if they need to.

White trash
6th May 2004, 17:14
Stop slowly right in the center of the road so they can't go around. Climb of the bike and they'll either reverse away REAL quick or sit and watch you kick the living shit outa their headlights.

Really constructive but it might give them the message :bash:

Deano
6th May 2004, 17:18
Sometimes turning to look at the driver (safely of course) is all that is required for them to get the message.

Failing that, wave them back or if confident enough, flip them the bird, remembering you may not have the acceleration to make a quick getaway if the prat decides to be even more stupid.

Ive heard, and would never condone this sort of thing (yeah right) but ball bearings or a spark plug casually dropped onto the road can do BAD things to a car's grille, headlights, radiator etc, as they flick up into the oncoming vehicle. Could get ugly though if you took out their windscreen, although hard for them to say it wasn't already on the road and flicked up from your back wheel if you do it discreetly enough - hey, looks like some road hazards (debri on the road) can come in handy when required.
I heard a story once about a biker who was being tailgated, and harassed by a smartass driver - the biker let them pass, then took off his helmet and smashed the rear screen of the car with it - I understand he got in a power of shit over it though, but sends a good message out to driver's not to F@$K with bikers.

Motoracer
6th May 2004, 17:19
Accelerate and make distance for yourself then pull huge rolling stoppie right infront of them :niceone: *jokes*

I'd just pull over to the left and let the dickhead pass and not worrie about it.

The stoppie method does work but its somewhat excesive use of a motorcycle in order to scare cagers behind. I've only tried it once in my life but that was for an extream case and also I was a bit younger and more stupid then.

Wenier
6th May 2004, 17:20
Stop slowly right in the center of the road so they can't go around. Climb of the bike and they'll either reverse away REAL quick or sit and watch you kick the living shit outa their headlights.

Haha yea thats a good idea jus make sure the person aint gona come after ya for it. Probably go with the let em past cus the cagers can b real inconsiderate although pullin the finger can give em the message sometimes and theyll back off rather quickly. Enjoy ya riding

Deano
6th May 2004, 17:22
Pull over and let them go. They'll kill you if they don't stop in time if they need to.

But they won't LEARN anything from the experience, and most likely keep doing it.

Fight fire with fire.

I HATE being tailgated while on a bike. In a car I just slow down until they get the hint.

Big Dog
6th May 2004, 17:46
Learn your flash point.
= the point where your breaklight comes on but your brakes don't.

Flash them a few times before you move over to let them pass this helps them to know you are there, and may focus them on the fact your indicator is now blinking (or even better make them realise what a wanker they are).

Sometimes they genuinely don't see you. I did this once and the blue rinser had not seen me at all. So her reaction was to stand on the brakes go, into a four wheel lock up and hit a parked car.

NMP= Not my problem.

Objective acheived, I survived.

Having been the other driver once or twice (young, stupid and late for work, not a good mix.) the guilts hurt more than the finger. The finger just escalates the problem, by making the recipient angry, which to them places you as the dickhead in their minds.

I flash my brakes before slowing down for any predictable reason on the grounds that just because you saw the hazard does not even mean that the person behind you is even facing the right direction. (you don't have time in and emergency)

When braking I aim for the part of the lane where if I was hit from behind I am least likely to hit the car in front of me on the theory that if it is possible for me to miss them it is possible for the car behind me to miss me and either use the space to stop safely or skip me and hit them.
Either way NMP.

There are old riders and there are young riders.
If you are a young rider and never want to be an old rider its quite easy, ignore all the rules of defensive driving.

Keep the black bits down and the shiny side up,
Big Dog :spudwave:

madandy
6th May 2004, 17:50
If your are uncomfortable with the prat following too close either accellerate away to a comfortable distance or allow them to pass.As you pull in behind them they may realise why.
You must relax a little and remember not all offenders can be educated.I've kicked a few doors, mirrors and rear panels in the last wee while but only those who really deserved it-like nearly killed me.Some people are so ignorant even shaking your head at them as you pass by is a waste of energy...save yours for when you really need it. :calm:

Big Dog
6th May 2004, 18:03
Fight fire with fire.
If you want to fight fire with fire follow them to their destination wait politely for them to get out of the car.
Make sure they are not patched or your serious physical superior.
Explain that you have followed them here and why.
Explain the cosequences of killing you to them, and to your family.

If they don't want to listen explain to them, politely, that the alternative was to call the police and have a ticket issued to them.

I have done this twice.
Both times they apologised immediately.
Both times they thanked me for my time.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Yes I know my size may have had something to do with it. But either way two macho males in their mid twenties publicly apologised through tears, and obvious distress, to a teenager despite the fact that neither had any clue why I had followed them until I told them.
I don't think either of them is in any great hurry to tailgate again.

Taking the mercenary approach might make you feel better but it won't make you or anyone else any safer.

If some MF threw anything at my car from a motorbike I'm not sure I wouldn't back over said bike a couple of times. And even if I had been in the wrong, and I did manage to restrain myself, you better believe I would be seeking legal recourse.

Ms Piggy
6th May 2004, 18:19
Sometimes turning to look at the driver (safely of course) is all that is required for them to get the message.

This is wot I normally do and they get the message.

Basically it's best not to let yourself get upset about it, it goes against the grain I know but it's not worth it. Advice I was given by KBers when I first started riding & got really angry about stoopid cagers. :Pokey:

Deano
6th May 2004, 18:40
Taking the mercenary approach might make you feel better but it won't make you or anyone else any safer.

If some MF threw anything at my car from a motorbike I'm not sure I wouldn't back over said bike a couple of times. And even if I had been in the wrong, and I did manage to restrain myself, you better believe I would be seeking legal recourse.

1. I turn and look at them first
2. If no response then I wave them back
3. If they don't get the message by then they obviously don't care about the road rules or biker's safety, so F@#k em, out comes the bird, then I accelerate away.
4. If they want to follow me till I stop, so be it, I will certainly give them an earful, but that's often how fights start, and we wouldn't want that. :innocent:

How come the cops are so hot on speeding, but you never see one pull someone over for tailgating, even when it is right under there nose.

2 second rule ? Try it and see how many wankers jump into your buffer.

KATWYN
6th May 2004, 18:42

This is the best way.

I was riding in a group once in the wet and it was raining,this guy was tailgating the lot of us really close- someone gave him a nasty look- and the guy just went psycho, and then drove into the middle of the group & harrassed everyone, weaving the car trying to push bikes to the left of the road and tailgating worse. i'm surprised no one was taken out that day. it was really scary.

Don't worry about trying to stop the car drivers future behaviour by reacting in a way that will put your life at risk, they will always do it again to someone else.

Leave it alone, let them go.

Kickaha
6th May 2004, 18:48

I feel this doesn't quite go far enough,I favour dragging them out of the car and shooting them through the back of the head.

Racey Rider
6th May 2004, 19:13
Here's a similar thread which gives a good response to such things.

...... It seems the guy in the green jeep behind me took exception to this and started to tailgate me rather closely.
.......I blew him a kiss (Kiss hand, wipe on butt, blow and smile sweetly)
As he took off again I looked over at the car next to me and shrugged my shoulders. Everyone in it was having a good laugh ...

Read Full Thread Post here
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1079 (http://)

Deano
6th May 2004, 19:38
This is the best way.

I was riding in a group once in the wet and it was raining,this guy was tailgating the lot of us really close- someone gave him a nasty look- and the guy just went psycho, and then drove into the middle of the group & harrassed everyone, weaving the car trying to push bikes to the left of the road and tailgating worse. i'm surprised no one was taken out that day. it was really scary.

Don't worry about trying to stop the car drivers future behaviour by reacting in a way that will put your life at risk, they will always do it again to someone else.

I've got a tinted visor so pretty hard to see what sort of look Im giving. But as far as doing nothing about it - Psych 101 - to change behaviour there must be consequences - positive consequences for good behaviour and negative consequences for bad behaviour.

When the honey fails, poor some vinegar on it.

El Dopa
6th May 2004, 20:15
I feel this doesn't quite go far enough,I favour dragging them out of the car and shooting them through the back of the head.

....and then stringing the corpse up at the side of the road to rot, to encourage the others to think twice.

I hate tailgaters.

Jackrat
6th May 2004, 20:19
In your case you have no other choise but to let him go past,,just be prepeared for him not to move right out of your lane when he does.
Let him go even if it means pulling right over.Don't give him the bird or threaten him in any way,,your on a bike if it gets nasty you won't win.
This sort of thing is going to happen a lot,,more so while you are on a small bike.Just get out of their way and continue in the knowlage that you are having a far better day than them.

BritStorm
6th May 2004, 20:22
The real problem is that the guy behind is too close to stop in an emergency so the first thing to do is leave a bigger gap between you and the vechicle in front so you have much more time should the need arise. Hopefully, he too will stop in time to avoid hitting you. Make your gap bigger and then take your pick from the advice above.

madandy
6th May 2004, 20:24

Well said KAT.

Ignore suggestions of mobile retribution-
Unless you WANT to be knocked off your bike.
Pulling along side at lights and traffic ques at roundabouts or stop signs is a safe place to politely(at first) remind them of your rights and their obligations as fellow road users.

As for hangings and shootings and the like. :ar15: (Kickaha and el dopa the lawnmaster rider!)..have you ever actually done this or are you two full of bs?
I recall the origin of this thread being a New rider :2thumbsup asking for some thoughtfull replies and advice from some more experienced riders regarding tailgaters.

Kickaha
6th May 2004, 20:40
Ignore suggestions of mobile retribution

Sorry weren't you saying something about having kicked doors,rear panels and mirrors.

Taking the piss aside,I just move over and let them through,although I aren't above the odd "gesture" in their direction.

I did find a correlation between the type of bike I rode and how people treated me,on a nice quiet Jappa I was more likely to get tailgated,pushed off the road than on my noisy old Ducati,I think perceived threat value comes into this.

KATWYN
6th May 2004, 20:43
I've got a tinted visor so pretty hard to see what sort of look Im giving. But as far as doing nothing about it - Psych 101 - to change behaviour there must be consequences - positive consequences for good behaviour and negative consequences for bad behaviour.

When the honey fails, poor some vinegar on it.

I agree with the operant conditioning thing. But choose when to poor vinegar on it....like when you are safetly tucked away in a four wheel
drive with bull bars....not on a motorcycle.

The vinegar that teaches the tailgater a lesson may be YOUR life. If you want to sacrifice your life to create an aversive reaction for the driver in the future thats fine....but I say NO THANKS

DEATH_INC.
6th May 2004, 21:23
How come the cops are so hot on speeding, but you never see one pull someone over for tailgating, even when it is right under there nose.

I've been pulled for tailgating a taxi in my 4WD (yep I'm one of those wankers...)that insisted on doing 80kph in the rh lane on the southern and wouldn't move over.....I complained to the :Police: too but all he said was 'if he'd moved over I'd have got you for speeding'
Yer right about the 2 second thing too,you've just got to leave any gap and they're in :buggerd:
When I get a tailgater (yes,occasionally there's people going faster than me :gob: ) I generally :finger: I think most get the hint......
I think generally the advice to just pull over and let 'em go is prolly the best though unless yer willing to risk life/motorcycle pissing them off.Or yer as big as Big Dog.....

Deano
6th May 2004, 21:25
I agree with the operant conditioning thing. But choose when to poor vinegar on it....like when you are safetly tucked away in a four wheel
drive with bull bars....not on a motorcycle.

The vinegar that teaches the tailgater a lesson may be YOUR life. If you want to sacrifice your life to create an aversive reaction for the driver in the future thats fine....but I say NO THANKS

Im fortunate to have enough grunt to get the F@$k out of a tailgating situation, hence my reply. (Unless they are on a multi Japa)

Each to their own, but I like to let people know when they are doing something that could endanger my life, or they will carry on doing it - ignorance is bliss.

The tailgater you let get away with it, may end up taking out the next motorcyclist up the road cause they continued to follow too close, none the wiser for it.

jrandom
6th May 2004, 21:28
Or, to restate, if you don't:

(a) have a five million horsepower turbo Kwak that wheelies off the throttle in sixth gear; and/or

(b) weigh 250kg and cast dread into patched-up gang members by glancing in their direction,

learn to practice the gentle art of diplomacy.

Skyryder
6th May 2004, 21:29

Best advice on the board. You have a small bike. Wait until you can ride and have something bigger before your testosterone takes over.

Stay cool. Stay sharp. STAY ALIVE.

Skyryder

KATWYN
6th May 2004, 21:30
The tailgater you let get away with it, may end up taking out the next motorcyclist up the road cause they continued to follow too close, none the wiser for it.

Hopefully the motorcyclist up the road has the same thoughts. "Just pull over and let the road terrorist go"

Deano
6th May 2004, 21:34
I think each situation requires its own reaction, depending on the response of the driver - if a subtle look over the shoulder at them makes them back off, cool. If they ignore the 'wave back' then out comes the finger. Honey first, then vinegar, so I also choose when to apply them.

Discretion is probably the better part of valour if on a small bike.

Coincidentally, combined they are good for sore throats.

Skyryder
6th May 2004, 21:37
I feel this doesn't quite go far enough,I favour dragging them out of the car and shooting them through the back of the head. Said something like that to a cop once. "The fucker's brain dead so what difference does it make?" Should have seen the look on the cops face. That's a long story maybe for another day.

Skyryder

Marmoot
6th May 2004, 21:38

Totally agree. Let them maim the back of a truck one day if they don't learn, but hey you don't need to worry about it at all. :ride: :ride:

El Dopa
6th May 2004, 21:49
As for hangings and shootings and the like. :ar15: (Kickaha and el dopa the lawnmaster rider!)..have you ever actually done this or are you two full of bs?
I recall the origin of this thread being a New rider :2thumbsup asking for some thoughtfull replies and advice from some more experienced riders regarding tailgaters.

Just blowing off steam. I hate tailgaters cos aside from actively driving dangerously (e.g weaving in and out of heavy traffic at speed without looking or indicating) I think it's the single most dangerous thing a driver (as opposed to a rider) can do. I've had enough technical training to realise how much energy a heavy object such as a car gains when moving even at a slow speed, let alone fast, and enough life experince to contrast that with how frail the human body is.

The UK highway code has a table on the back showing average stopping distances for cars at certain speeds. The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the distance is shown as 'reaction time'. That is, how long it takes for you to recognise there is a problem ahead of you and for your foot or hand to reach the brake before you even start to slow down. Someone driving too close behind won't even reach the brake by the time they're smearing you all over the road. For inexperienced/uneducated/shouldbloodywellknowbetter drivers, it's far too easy to be lulled into a false sense of security and travel too close. One little thing going wrong on the road causing the front vehicle to brake heavily, and the rear vehicle is all over it like a bad rash. What should have been at worst an exchange of bad language is now a trip to the hospital.

And that is why I hate tailgaters. I'll shed no tears for idiot drivers killing themselves, I'll save my sympathy for the poor bastard they just ran over, 'oops sorry didn't see you there mate'.

For the record, any of the posts on this thread that suggest pulling over, stopping, walking away from the situation etc etc etc are my responses of choice. Any sort of confrontational behaviour has the potential to escalate to tears before bedtime before either party realises quite whats going on. And that doesn't mean I haven't been tempted.

James Deuce
6th May 2004, 21:55
I have a mate who doesn't ride bikes, but is a good driver and general motorsport fan.

However. He has monocular vision. Both eyes work, but only one at a time, so he has no depth perception. I gave up getting rides home from work with him, because he can't judge the distance to a bike very well if he is following one and invariably ends up terrifyingly close.

It used to make me feel ill when I thought about how close he got. And yet he'd keep a perfectly measured gap to anything car sized or bigger.

Deano
6th May 2004, 22:00
I have a mate who doesn't ride bikes, but is a good driver and general motorsport fan.

However. He has monocular vision. Both eyes work, but only one at a time, so he has no depth perception. I gave up getting rides home from work with him, because he can't judge the distance to a bike very well if he is following one and invariably ends up terrifyingly close.

It used to make me feel ill when I thought about how close he got. And yet he'd keep a perfectly measured gap to anything car sized or bigger.

Thats really comforting to know.....NOT. Still, he is probably a safer driver than most. Maybe if he had a few drinks so he could see double again ?? :doh:

FROSTY
6th May 2004, 22:21
Old bikers addage--The biker that turns and runs away lives to ride another day --NUFF said?? :doh:

Two Smoker
6th May 2004, 23:04
Well i absolutely hate tailgaters...... the only time i was guilty of tailgating was when following Milky, and we all know what happened there......

With tailgaters the best thing to do is to just pull over and let them go, but in saying that, i have never really done that, have you ever dropped it into 2nd gear on the RG at 60kmh, just wait and see how fast you hit 80kmh....

Generally (although this is not the best approach, and generally stupid) i flash my brake lights (perfectly sensible and recommend doing this) failing that i look behind me at them, failing that i wave them back, failing that, i slow down and drop it into 2nd and nail it....

I have done the stupid thing of being passed dangerously and cut off by a wanker of a cage that had been tailgating me, so i passed him ont the outside of an open corner whilst giving him the bird.... definately not the smartest thing to do, but sometimes my temper gets the better of me......:doh: :whistle:

scumdog
6th May 2004, 23:08
3. If they don't get the message by then they obviously don't care about the road rules or biker's safety, so F@#k em, out comes the bird, then I accelerate away.
4. If they want to follow me till I stop, so be it, I will certainly give them an earful, but that's often how fights start, and we wouldn't want that. :innocent:

Hey I know a cop that does pull up tailgaters, reckons a lot are women (watch the sparks now!!!!) and a lot have kids in the car - he always tells the kids to remind mum to drop back when she breaks the 2 second rule, heard later from one that she was cured of tailgating after on long trip with the kids :niceone:

Posh Tourer :P
7th May 2004, 00:11
Often putting the rear brake on a little and speeding up a little makes people think. Either they drop back cos you are crazy, or they go hey wait he's not happy about this situation. Done it a few times and it works as a first or second resort. Apart from that, let em go. I know I'd catch them if I wanted to, but whats the point? I especially like the people who tailgate thru titirangi and the start of scenic drive in the 50 zone and then watch me continue to do 45-60 ie under the tolerance thru the first few tight corners. I know it goes against the grain to let ppl past, but if you know you can beat them easily, why bother doing it?

Lou Girardin
7th May 2004, 06:41
If the tailgater is doing it deliberately, let him past. Then follow until he's held up in traffic and take out his mirror.
Or call *555 (snigger)

Firefight
7th May 2004, 07:21
If you can't out ride em, ie, smaller bike, less confidence, road condtions, soon as, let them pass. Given some of the extreme acts of road rage see in the past, do not try to extract revenge., If you see the same vehicle do this on a regular basis you could consider *555, not sure how good that works maybe some of our current or ex cops could advise., What ever you do dont be like my Fu#%wit bro in law who brakes hard in his cage when someone gets to close. Stay safe.

F/F :calm:

White trash
7th May 2004, 07:51

I reckon you're full of shit, mate!

I've done a few miles with you over the past couple of months and I can't seem to recall an instance where a car could even stay in sight of you for more than a few seconds. You ride far too bloody fast for tailgating to be an issue.

Cajun
7th May 2004, 08:10
i'm normal a real wanker i take off if they keep up i slow right down and like i am turning off, wait for them to go past, and then race past them and take there wing mirror off and then gone.

bit harder now i think with me on a bike there is none around and and easliey seen

PuppetMaster
7th May 2004, 08:21
Yup, Im a bit of a prick when it comes to these tailgating faggots too. They usually get the finger at least.
Mind you in retrospect, Im quite happy to tailgate them when Im riding. :sly:

jrandom
7th May 2004, 08:31
What ever you do dont be like my Fu#%wit bro in law who brakes hard in his cage when someone gets to close.

My mother-in-law does that in her old Range Rover. She really, really would be happy to pay an insurance excess and go through accident hassles just for the pleasure of munting some tailgater's car up and making him crap his pants.

Personally I don't see the point.

And I NEVER tailgate on the bike. After almost embedding myself in the back of a BMW 740iL one day (he was driving like a c*nt, mind) I decided that tailgating is not so smart on two wheels.

Devil
7th May 2004, 08:49
Bah @ tailgaters.
Ive only been riding for a month and already I can see that the L plate is like a godamn bullseye to them!

Because im in a cage going to/from work,the only chance I get to ride (apart from weekends)is after work, so im normally on the bike in the dark.

So many times now, im riding along, noticing them getting closer and closer to the point where I can look down and im right in the the spot where there headlights meet the road, casting a big shadow in front of the bike. Its ridiculous.

In the cage if I was going to turn off the road, id indicate at the normal 3 second point, but only brake at the last minute. Watch the bastards swerve (wouldnt do that to a bike though, if bike decides to tailgate me when im in the car I dont care, its his/her problem if they crash).

Deano
7th May 2004, 08:49
I reckon you're full of shit, mate!

I've done a few miles with you over the past couple of months and I can't seem to recall an instance where a car could even stay in sight of you for more than a few seconds. You ride far too bloody fast for tailgating to be an issue.

Only cos I was trying to keep up with you :innocent:

headhoon
7th May 2004, 09:03
Just keep riding at the same speed but take your left hand off the bar put it on your left thigh while turning your upper body to your left so your looking back at them and just stare ! obviously be aware of whats going on in front of you but I do this and it works !

Ms Piggy
7th May 2004, 09:30
Hey I know a cop that does pull up tailgaters, reckons a lot are women (watch the sparks now!!!!) and a lot have kids in the car - he always tells the kids to remind mum to drop back when she breaks the 2 second rule, heard later from one that she was cured of tailgating after on long trip with the kids :niceone:

If I was a Mum with a carload of kiddies I'm sure I'd be wanting to get from 'A to B' ASAP! :crazy:

KATWYN
7th May 2004, 10:07
If I was a Mum with a carload of kiddies I'm sure I'd be wanting to get from 'A to B' ASAP! :crazy:

Would drive ya bloody nuts. No thanks :baby: - peaceful life for me

except when i'm old and lonely of course i'll regret it...apparently :rolleyes:

vifferman
7th May 2004, 10:35
Just keep riding at the same speed but take your left hand off the bar put it on your left thigh while turning your upper body to your left so your looking back at them and just stare ! obviously be aware of whats going on in front of you but I do this and it works !

I get tailgated a lot, and this is sort of what I do. It's worked every time.
(Usually, I'm also yelling "FUCK OFF!" inside my helmet, but I don't think they hear that....)

I don't think anything more aggressive than that is a good idea, as if they're a psycho or prone to road rage you're at a disadvantage. Braking in front of them is just relying on them having good reactions, and forgetting that you're VERY vulnerable on a bike! I read recently of someone in the States that did just that, and the SUV driver wasn't paying particular attention, and drove over them and killed them.

I have several times followed someone who has cut me off, or changed lanes on me (because I got knoocked off once due to this) and told them what an idiot they were. Similarly, I get very pissed off with people who run red lights and stop signs, even if they haven't endangered me, as I bought my first bike from a girl who had her leg broken in 6 places (took years before she could walk again) by some granny who drove through a stop sign.

Really, it's up to you to be proactive with your safety, and assume that (a) all car drivers are idiots (although I've had lots pull over to make room for me), and (b) other road users are out to get you. And they ARE, whether it's deliberate or 'accidental' (due to their idiocy :wacko:)

beanz
7th May 2004, 10:46
Holy shit! Last night when I started this topic, I thought I might have a few replies by the morning, but not 4 pages!! Guess everyone is as pissed off and passionate about this as I am.

OK, guess I should bite my ego, take 10 deep breaths, and chill out. I'll try looking back at the driver, then pull over if that doesn't work.

Then, once I've passed my full licence, bought a 1000GSXR, and get some decent skills, I'll try the accelerate-then-stoppie manouvre.

Thanks to everyone whos replied so far. Lets see if we can get this thread into double figures!

Hey, heres an idea, how about KB gets some "bumper stickers" made up, so we can start some sort of cult on-road club, so cagers get to know us, and give us a bit of respect. Just an idea. NZMMC (a NZ Mitsubishi forum) have them, and its quite cool seeing other NZMMC members around on the roads. They get 15% off at Kempy Bitza Mitsy (wreakers) too. (OK, this might be another topic... stay focused Beanz...)

BigB
7th May 2004, 12:57
Have moved over in and then moved back in behind and given them the high beam :niceone: . Works very well in the mornings

Ms Piggy
7th May 2004, 15:47
Would drive ya bloody nuts. No thanks :baby: - peaceful life for me

except when i'm old and lonely of course i'll regret it...apparently :rolleyes:

Go girl!! You and me both! :killingme

Two Smoker
7th May 2004, 16:06
Hey beanz, KB has stickers... $2 each, ive got about 4 at the mo, ill bring one around when i come to get that sproket (still waiting for my bike to be ready :angry2: ) otherwise PM SpankMe and let him know you want some :niceone:

Big Dog
8th May 2004, 19:06
Then, once I've passed my full licence, bought a 1000GSXR, and get some decent skills, I'll try the accelerate-then-stoppie manouvre.

If a car got homocidal there is no guarantee you would have the reaction times to get out of the way.

Road rage is a double edged sword.

When successful you feel good about it for a day or two, and maybe for ten minutes at a time when you trot the story out at a motorcycle club gathering.

When you are unsuccessful in the extreme you are dead for a very long time.

Ride to survive and show curtesy to other road users.

Last thing we need is for everyone who owns a 4WD to hate bikers with a passion.

Remember the life you save tommorow, with a little curtesy today could be mine, or even yours.

PeteThePom
9th May 2004, 02:18
If I go back about 10 yrs, my approach to ANYONE who I felt had threatened my physical well being was to force them to stop, get off my bike, walk to car, open door, grab hold of collar and give them a good shaking/talking to, this made me feel much better but watsed a lot of time............. ................then one day I picked on Mr Psychopath......in London where road rage frequently ends with knives or worse............luckily for me I managed to back down without loss of blood(mine)

Since then I favour the 'hard stare' method mentioned by others, it works well.
I've also followed miscreants and given them the 'polite talking to' as mentioned by big dog (one guy I followed got so panicked he drove to the nearest police station) mostly I just open the throttle and piss off, sometime I preceed that with a finger or two. I have to be very pissed off to bother with anything more.

If you think you can argue with a car and win, your gonna get hurt or worse.
You MIGHT pick on Mr Psychopath and not be as lucky as me(obviously if your built like Arnie or are VERY GOOD at unarmed combat when they might be this might not apply!)

Although if I'm in the 4x4 then I'll force the bastards off the road into the nearest ditch, set fire to their car and piss in their mouths!!!!:ar15:

Oops....and my analyst said I was doing so well!!

LB
9th May 2004, 06:27
It's all been said (much more eloquently!) by others before me here, but I simply indicate and pull over as soon as I safely can and let the tailgater pass.

Many years ago I was pillion on a bike that was rammed from behind in a deliberate act by a car driver. I was more or less okay but the rider was very seriously injured.

Ever since then I get very very nervous with cars close behind me.

I don't care if people think I'm a chicken - what I do in a tailgating situation is right for me.

Two Smoker
9th May 2004, 09:21
I met Mr Phsycopath once, i was in my mums new cage (a little Pulsar) and i was being tailgated by a 4x4 (he was literally half a metre off my bumper) the thing that fucked my off was he accelerated from behind me to close the gap and tailgate.....

Well i did the usual, flash the brake lights, didnt work, so i looked at him and waved him back, didnt work, so i slowed to about 20kmh and floored it back to 60, ofcourse that put some distance between us...

But then this fucker started to come up beside me on the median strip, i just shock my head and kept driving as he pulled back in..... Then the fucker did it again, he was right beside me and started moving in towards me. I was like what the fuck..... i held me line, he kept coming and squashed the mirror in..... So i stood on the horn and braked (if it was my car i would have rammed him, but since it was my mums new car....) I was far beyond pissed off now, so i flew up beside him, and forced him off the road in a sort of moving block manuvoure..... I jumped out of the car and told him with a stern voice but politely (i called him "sir" everytime) to pull over to the side of the road and turn you vehcile off....

I then proceeded to point out the laws that he broke... he then had the nerve to say that i drove like i owned the road....... This made me steam. I then said well lets call the police and sort it out..... He said fuck you ya wanker, and stormed off....

I then called the police, gave his details and he got a ticket hehehe.

But the thing that fucked me beyond belief was the fact that he had one toddler in a booster seat and another kid that was in a baby seat!!!!!!!!!! That guy doesnt deserve to drive, if i see him again, i will literally smash him in the face because he deserves it.......

wkid_one
9th May 2004, 09:33
Two answers: In a car - it doesn't happen much, on a bike - it seldom happened.

When it does happen - I just slow the fuck down to the speed limit and turn my fog light on - this scares the shit out of them as they think I am braking. On the bike - I just left them behind.

Tailgaters don't really annoy me any unless they are in front of me. I only get pissed when I am following someone is trying to see what the car in front of them is carrying in their boot - I tend to leave a big gap.

Big Dog
9th May 2004, 13:29
Keep in mind that old Denny Hulme add some of you may remember (used to play during motorsport on one in the early eighties I think.

"Many a man has died defending his right of way."

Grumpy
9th May 2004, 15:10
Usually I just give them a finger and let them past but on one occasion the guy was a particular arsehole so I asked him to kindly pull over.
I was a little surprised that he did, but to cut a long story short we had words on the side of the motorway...fairly strong words actually :angry2:

Anyway it became clear why he was so keen to stop, he was a big bugger, both him and his mate. Thanks to the Arai gods for if it wasn't for their help and my impersonation of a fucking crazy motorcyclist I would have been a little sorry that I had stopped at all. :sweatdrop

Lesson learnt.... let them past. It really aint worth the shit storm it creates when you try to make an issue of it.

Indiana_Jones
9th May 2004, 15:18
I hate having an L-plate :angry2:
But I can't aford to take it off :no:

But I can get my restricted in July :p

-Indy

Two Smoker
9th May 2004, 17:20
I hate having an L-plate :angry2:
But I can't aford to take it off :no:

But I can get my restricted in July :p

-Indy
Bah take it off, you will only get stopped if you are doing something wrong.....

wkid_one
9th May 2004, 17:23
Better yet - tear off a corner of the L Plate - put it under a screw and if stopped plead ignorance saying it was there and some idiot must have ripped it off. Worked for me

Deano
9th May 2004, 19:13
Better yet - tear off a corner of the L Plate - put it under a screw and if stopped plead ignorance saying it was there and some idiot must have ripped it off. Worked for me

Good to see some kiwi ingenuity there.

Does anyone ever clean their number plate ?

I heard an L-Plate ripped off at high speed, but that's probably not a good excuse if pulled up on it.

Indiana_Jones
9th May 2004, 19:23

lol Might try that, though I think my old man might not like it :D
only about 2 more months I guess

-Indy

speedpro
9th May 2004, 22:28
If the tailgater is doing it deliberately, let him past. Then follow until he's held up in traffic and take out his mirror.
On the mighty MB100 I did just that to some woman who I had filtered past on the NW motorway. She came right back up beside me about 1 foot form the car in front. I wasn't thinking of merging back in but it would have been nice to have the option. We all cruised along for over a mile (1.6km) at speeds between about 20-50kmh with her right beside me and about 1-4 feet from the next car. When the traffic opened up a bit I dropped back, crossed over to her right and gave her mirror a good wallop as I went past.

I got a ticket for lane splitting two days later - justice?? karma??

Shawn
10th May 2004, 01:48
Hey…all those guys taking the cager’s mirror off…..don’t they note down your number plate and hunt you guys down later on…I mean if some1 would do that to me…I would certainly go to the cop with the number plate info and hunt their ass down…it just seems very weird to me how all those incidents got unpunished…saying that those cagers do deserve that and more…

Big Dog
10th May 2004, 17:45
Hey…all those guys taking the cager’s mirror off…..don’t they note down your number plate and hunt you guys down later on…I mean if some1 would do that to me…I would certainly go to the cop with the number plate info and hunt their ass down…it just seems very weird to me how all those incidents got unpunished…saying that those cagers do deserve that and more…
Perhaps here you find an example of guilt? :eyepoke:

pete376403
10th May 2004, 20:58
Good to see some kiwi ingenuity there.

Does anyone ever clean their number plate ?

There was an immaculate blue Hayabusa at the Cold Duck. The number plate looked like it came off an old two stroke trail bike with a high pipe - covered in black sticky goo. I wonder why that was... <_<

Jbee
10th May 2004, 21:28
Was talkin to a speed camera operator on the way back from the cold Duck on sunday ,He informed me that the best thing to do with these tailgaiters is to let them pass ,get close enough behind them to get the number plate allso record the road it happend on ,time ,car type if poss ,and take it to the local cops apparentlly they visit said life threatening prick and question them on thier where about that day ect and issue them with a $150 dollar fine . :devil2:

Deano
10th May 2004, 21:41
Was talkin to a speed camera operator on the way back from the cold Duck on sunday ,He informed me that the best thing to do with these tailgaiters is to let them pass ,get close enough behind them to get the number plate allso record the road it happend on ,time ,car type if poss ,and take it to the local cops apparentlly they visit said life threatening prick and question them on thier where about that day ect and issue them with a $150 dollar fine . :devil2:

Where is their evidence ? They would need proof surely. Would be very surprised if it stood up in court, unless several witnesses observed it, otherwise your word against thiers.

Jbee
10th May 2004, 21:49
Where is their evidence ? They would need proof surely. Would be very surprised if it stood up in court, unless several witnesses observed it, otherwise your word against thiers.
Only goin on what I was told by the man ,when thier questioned as to thier where abouts and times as well as car type ect ,sure its a long shot ,but if they admit to bein in that area at that time ,if motorcycles were present and all the rest of the usually parafenalia ,thier done ,I know it aint much ,but hey nothin to loose either .its based along the same principals as reporting some of these idiot truck drivers,most cops know your not gonna go to all that trouble if thiers no truth in it ,I was assured that not many get out of it ! . :yeah:

Lou Girardin
11th May 2004, 06:44
Only goin on what I was told by the man ,when thier questioned as to thier where abouts and times as well as car type ect ,sure its a long shot ,but if they admit to bein in that area at that time ,if motorcycles were present and all the rest of the usually parafenalia ,thier done ,I know it aint much ,but hey nothin to loose either .its based along the same principals as reporting some of these idiot truck drivers,most cops know your not gonna go to all that trouble if thiers no truth in it ,I was assured that not many get out of it ! . :yeah:

He was feeding you the company line. The truth is that few complaints result in prosecution. Limited resources, etc.
Lou

spudchucka
11th May 2004, 09:10
Just make sure you are prepared to go to Court as a witness because if the driver defends it the prosecution will fall over without your eye witness account.

spudchucka
11th May 2004, 09:12
He was feeding you the company line. The truth is that few complaints result in prosecution. Limited resources, etc.
Lou
How long is it since you were involved in any form of police or traffic enforcement work??

I'll take a guess and say arournd about 1992. So WTF would you know about what happens in this day and age?? Nothing!!!!!!!

speedpro
12th May 2004, 21:30
I must be getting old and mellow. Filtered past a line of slow cars, all nice and legal of course. Cars speed up a bit so I just match speed with them. 100m later a green fender appears about 2cm to my left with the driver apparently texting on her mobile. I drifted back a little and very gently folded her wing mirror back. It seemed to take her a while to notice as I had it right back before she disappeared back into my rear view.

Two Smoker
12th May 2004, 21:39
Lou
I got a complaint in the mail just the other day..... It was a complaint that i had run a red light on Queenstown Road at 0730 on easter sunday.......

Now that fucked me off, due to the fact i was in a milking shed milking cows and had been since 0500, and i didnt even go on Queenstown road in the morning!!!!!!!! Stupid munter.......

mangell6
12th May 2004, 21:50
Pouring with rain on the way home tonight, dark, heavy rain me on the bike watching the four cars ahead of me with less than a car length between them. One was a SUV and we were travelling at 80kmh, I hung back for obvious reasons.

Jbee
15th May 2004, 09:53
[B] Well i dont have to deal with trafic like you guys in the bigger cities do thankfully, But id still be willing to take a chance and report the buggers,if nothin comes of it ,well i tryed,as for goin to court then I think id rather take that chance knowin im at least tryin rather than just moanin my arse to no avail . As for me bein fed a line well that could very well be true but thiers allso a certain amount of truth wraped up in the bullshit along the way . :doobey:

FrozenTree
21st September 2008, 20:13
What I find really works with tailgaters is that you swerve left and right in a smooth and controlled fashion within your lane. The car drivers then think you are real weird and back off....

Max Preload
22nd September 2008, 23:16
Nice thread dredge! :niceone: :banana:

Jerry74
22nd September 2008, 23:19
Let em pass, pull over get out cell phone then *555 them and wait until the cops show up then laugh like hell as you pass.... it's a great feeling

niero
23rd October 2008, 21:31
I start to slow down even more... 40km/h, 30km/h, 20... the guy cant handle it anymore goes on to overtake on the striped path... (here is a good time to whip out and start measuring, "yours and his", since you are on a bike my $100 is behind you!)
pull in the clutch Rev up to the redline... release (at this point usually a realisation occurs... "I LOVE MY BIKE!") next steps are optional.

Scream "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA" as you wheely past!

Depending on your current "pissedoff-o-meter" annalysis you can make a fist and aim for the Rear Vision Mirror.

Or my favorite... Golf Balls! bounce em down and watch... (Dont forget you that you are still going forward though, I advise to look on to oncoming traffic before this step is executed)

--- If you see that same guy trying to catch up to you when you have performed all (or even some) of the actions above its importaint that you note the following

a) He is probably not happy..
b) Or more importaintly... "STEP ON IT"
c) At times like these heavy traffic is your friend.. Good luck!

Otherwise...

*clears his throat*

ALL ANCHORS!!!!!!

PirateJafa
23rd October 2008, 21:49
I start to slow down even more... 40km/h, 30km/h, 20... the guy cant handle it anymore goes on to overtake on the striped path... (here is a good time to whip out and start measuring, "yours and his", since you are on a bike my $100 is behind you!)
pull in the clutch Rev up to the redline... release (at this point usually a realisation occurs... "I LOVE MY BIKE!") next steps are optional.

Scream "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA" as you wheely past!

Depending on your current "pissedoff-o-meter" annalysis you can make a fist and aim for the Rear Vision Mirror.

Gah!

Advice NOT to listen to, particularly new riders.

Either slow down and change lanes so he/she can pass, or as I tend to do, twist around so you're looking right at him/her over your shoulder, then just split a couple of cars ahead.

Weaving often works as well.

Or, my favourite tactic, keep cruising. Why change your own riding style just for them? Just keep a closer eye on your mirrors!

niero
23rd October 2008, 22:04
aw.. come on! Have a sence of humor. I wrote it to put a smile on your face. After 6 pages of reasonable anwsers I just couldnt resist!