PDA

View Full Version : WTBorrow: carb balancer (AKL)

mops
5th May 2006, 17:09
Hello guys.

I'm troubleshooting engien missing problem on my little bandit.
This weekend (6-7 may) I'll be pulling out the tank to inspect things thoroughly. Since i'll have tank off, If i had a carb balancer, I could balance carbs aswell...

I offer good sixpack or cheap dozen :)

Thanks in advance.

sAsLEX
5th May 2006, 17:11
search abit and you find another thread on this topic where on of the members has offered to hire a set out for a minimal fee that would go back to this site.

vifferman I think.

Nolan
5th May 2006, 17:48
hey mate
I have one so if ya get stuck give me a pm

mops
5th May 2006, 17:54
search abit and you find another thread on this topic where on of the members has offered to hire a set out for a minimal fee that would go back to this site.

vifferman I think.

i'd be very keen, did search for 'carb balancing', found few threads, but not the one you are mentioning....

classic zed
7th May 2006, 21:05
One for twins and one for fours, let me know if you need them:ride:

R6_kid
7th May 2006, 21:10
how does a carb balancer work? Would be keen to give it a try on the R6 before i take it in for a service when its going to get done anyway.

sAsLEX
7th May 2006, 21:13
how does a carb balancer work? Would be keen to give it a try on the R6 before i take it in for a service when its going to get done anyway.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND http://www.carbtune.com/carbdtls.html HAS SOME STUFF ON IT, BASICALLY THE MECURY IN THOSE LITTLE PIPES GOES UP AND DOWN WITH THE VACUUM PRODUCED BY EACH CARB, MAKE IT THE SAME AND YOU AWAY LAUGHING

paturoa
7th May 2006, 21:24
Carb balancer only does low throttle opening setting. When they are out of balance the bike will run rough, particularly at idle. If your bike is missing then it is likely something else. High rev or low rev miss?

try this thread for info.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27525

mops
7th May 2006, 22:17
Thanks for input guys. I tried arranging carb balancer from nolan, but first he was busy then I was busy.... I'll try get hold of him again.

All tho I never balancer carbs I am knowledgable about engines, so I know whats going on. Yes, I do realize balancing carbs will only affect low rpm/load, but thwats exaclt where my engine is missing.

Having said that I pulled the bike apart and found plugs black (running rich) and one even broke off a tip (not the one that goes to the cylinder, but the one on top of the connector). Because my bike runs wasted spark ignition system that one bad plug could be affecting all plugs...

another theory is that my bike doesny really enjoy short trips to work and back... it's running cold probably 50% of the time... and might not liking it.

I removed carbs and took them apart.. cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner jets and generally carbs.

I could get any spark plugs today, so i'll do it toomorow. aswell I need ehxaust hasket (where manifold is joining to the pipe)

Thats about it. I'll update as I go.

mops
7th May 2006, 22:19
One for twins and one for fours, let me know if you need them:ride:

sounds good...
where in auckland are you ?

I'm in SandringSLUM :)

WINJA
7th May 2006, 22:25
mops does your bike have that setup with the 2 carbs always having fuel and only 2 have to be changed to reserve , check the internal filter as well as main jets being tight

mops
7th May 2006, 22:36
mops does your bike have that setup with the 2 carbs always having fuel and only 2 have to be changed to reserve , check the internal filter as well as main jets being tight

there are 4 individual carbs. each has small, what I think is idle jet (not changable) and other bigger, what I understand is a main jet. i unscerw main jets and gave them a blow through with carb cleaner.

Since you mentied that... I'm not sure whats going on with choke. My bike has manual choke, and it seems like theres some indelendent mechanizm for controoling choke on the carbs. as I think about it, it might be adjusting only idle jets... because it doesnt move throttle plates....

WINJA
8th May 2006, 18:06
there are 4 individual carbs. each has small, what I think is idle jet (not changable) and other bigger, what I understand is a main jet. i unscerw main jets and gave them a blow through with carb cleaner.

Since you mentied that... I'm not sure whats going on with choke. My bike has manual choke, and it seems like theres some indelendent mechanizm for controoling choke on the carbs. as I think about it, it might be adjusting only idle jets... because it doesnt move throttle plates....
THE CHOKE IS A TICKLER IT JUST DUMPS RAW FUEL, MAKE SURE ONE OR MORE ISNT JAMMED ON

mops
9th May 2006, 08:11
ok, so here's an update.

i put bike together last night, and after few pushes down the driveway she even started ! :)

runs much better, top end is much better, but still, there's some missing on low rpm's... it seems to be more consistent now... i.e. low throttle openings it's ok, but too much throttle at low rpm's (under 6k) and it will start missing.... after 8krpm it's all goof pulls noticably better to the redline...

I might have a go with balancing those carbs....

another thing I noticed when i took the tank off, is that there were signs or arcing on one of the coils itself... i put a fat piece of closed cell foam there... seems to be a bit better..... cant do much, because it's very close to the fuel tank and might be arcing on it...

any other suggestions ?