PDA

View Full Version : n00b here

menace
6th May 2004, 19:32
Anyway this is my first post so i might as well say hi. :spudwave:

Im a motor (car mostly) enthusiast aged 22 studying at AU, i like long walks on the beach, and candle light dinners.

:killingme:

But seriously I am very very sersious about selling my car or as ive seen some of you here reffer to it as a "cage" and getting a bike for a few reasons; but mostly as i cant really afford to run a car anymore particulary my car (blody trubo rotaries)

But anyway im just here to learn as much as posible as i know NO ONE who owns a bike.

So yeah first question what are fairings (sp?)

Anyway thanx in advance... :)

Zed
6th May 2004, 20:20
A warm hearty welcome to ya menace!

I hope we can steer you in the right direction with your new endeavour on two wheels. You would do well to search through previous threads on good advice for learner riders, etc. :confused:

Oh, and fairings are the plastic/metal surround parts on motorcycles designed to produce a smooth outline and reduce drag. Bikes that don't have these are referred to as "naked"! eg Harley-Davidson.

Zed

k14
6th May 2004, 20:20
Hey welcome to these forums.

A fairing is the plastic panels that go on bikes, sportsbikes mainly.

So wat u run? 13B?? That would scoff the gas.

Andrew
6th May 2004, 20:21
But anyway im just here to learn as much as posible as i know NO ONE who owns a bike.

Fairings are those plastic/firbreglass shells or covers which cover the whole bike giving it looks as well as providing minimal wind resistance.

I'm a student over the road at AUT. If you're not busy say over lunch, I'm more than happy to talk/show you about bikes from a students point of view. So now you know at least one person who owns a bike! :2thumbsup

matthewt
6th May 2004, 20:22

Welcome to the site.

Fairings are the plastic panels that cover our bikes. Usually 4 main parts, 1) headlight fairing 2) main side covers 3) Lower fairing, sometimes called the bellypan and 4) tailpice.

I've attached a picture of my previous bike to show you. My current bike is "naked" which means it doesn't have any fairings.

MikeL
6th May 2004, 20:31
i cant really afford to run a car anymore particulary my car (blody trubo rotaries)

Hehehe...
You think you'll save money by selling your car and buying a bike ????
Hehehe...

jrandom
6th May 2004, 21:23
Hehehe...
You think you'll save money by selling your car and buying a bike ????
Hehehe...

Well *I'm* saving money by using a bike instead of a car.

So - meh.

jrandom
6th May 2004, 21:24
Well *I'm* saving money by using a bike instead of a car.

And if anyone subsequently uses the phrase "real bike" in this thread I will hunt you down and put mud on your alloy wheels.

Indiana_Jones
6th May 2004, 21:54
And if anyone subsequently uses the phrase "real bike" in this thread I will hunt you down and put mud on your alloy wheels.

Bro it's cool, we own REAL bikes :rockon:

-Indy

Firefight
7th May 2004, 07:05
welcome to the site mate, yeah for a student Andrew is not a bad sort,

tends to have a pretty warped sense of humor :whistle: , but is a good rider

and not a bad sort of mate , what are you studying (hopefully not computers shit).?

this site is a pretty good place to get info.

Firefight :crazy:

wari
7th May 2004, 08:57
So ... you wanna bike eh? ...

Good onya mate .. welcome :moon:

Ms Piggy
7th May 2004, 09:40
But seriously I am very very sersious about selling my car or as ive seen some of you here reffer to it as a "cage" and getting a bike for a few reasons; but mostly as i cant really afford to run a car anymore particulary my car (blody trubo rotaries)

Just sell it mate - bikes are the way to go :niceone: Welcome btw.

menace
7th May 2004, 11:33
Whoa so many replies, heh thanx everybody. :)

WEll yeah i own the red rx7 in that link there, http://atom.no-ip.org/squeez/

And yeah i do study some computer shit.. :P BSc CompSci to be exact...

but im out a tamaki for the semester, but yeah. I found out that one of my exgirlfirends dad owns and rides so wohoo i sort of know 1 bike person. :)

But first i want to flick off my car and that might take a while as im not gonna sell it for pennies... Ill be sad to see the baby go though :confused2

Just one more question... I mean ive got a full car driver liscence, do i still have to pass the genereal theory again to get the bike learners?

Motoracer
7th May 2004, 11:47
nice pics lol

Welcome Mr Rot8

You still start from scratch even if you have a full car licence. On the positive note, its almost the same anyway. Oral questions might be slightly different. Equipe yourself with a motorcycle road code and have a read through it.

Oh ya, if you wana save pennies, get the FXR150. Great bikes they are :scooter:

merv
7th May 2004, 13:04
Oh, and fairings ... Bikes that don't have these are referred to as "naked"! eg Harley-Davidson.

... and with Harleys, especially at Daytona during bikeweek, the chicks on them are just about naked too. http://daytona.bikeweek.com/Gallery/ladies.asp

menace
7th May 2004, 15:37
nice pics lol

Welcome Mr Rot8

You still start from scratch even if you have a full car licence. On the positive note, its almost the same anyway. Oral questions might be slightly different. Equipe yourself with a motorcycle road code and have a read through it.

Oh ya, if you wana save pennies, get the FXR150. Great bikes they are :scooter:

Meh im more thinking along the lines of Hondas best in the 250cc category.. ;)

IO couldnt really settle for anything else... See im not gonna compleatly abandon my car love, but just replace the adrenalin rush with something else...

Man i dont know what ill do i swere id never drive a honda... :whistle: But i guess riding isnt the same as drivng it.. LOL :)

About the liscence yeah well i mean it was what 5 years ago that i got my liscence back in the day thay HAD oral questions... I heard they dont do them no more... :)

ps. i also want to make clear that I do NOT participate in any illegal activites and really pisses me off that i get labeled as a boyracer :mad: AS usual the few idiots spoil it for the rest of us. :S

Motoracer
7th May 2004, 16:11
Cool, I guess you'll be going for a CBR250 then. Don't worry, for bikes, Hondas are among the best.

About the illigal thing. Don't worry, most of us do some pretty illigal stuff anyway (traffic offences) ;)

menace
7th May 2004, 16:40
Cool, I guess you'll be going for a CBR250 then. Don't worry, for bikes, Hondas are among the best.

About the illigal thing. Don't worry, most of us do some pretty illigal stuff anyway (traffic offences) ;)

Heh yeah its kind of different i guess, As you are not endagering other motorists.. But primaraly yourself... Still I like to keep it under the law 99% of the time... :) Esspecially as my car is a police magnet from 'nam... :S

And yeah ill probably go for the CBR250RR i guess.. not too sure on the price it will set me back.. but ill look into it more when i have the funds.. untill then im here to learn.. :)

Ms Piggy
7th May 2004, 17:13
Just one more question... I mean ive got a full car driver liscence, do i still have to pass the genereal theory again to get the bike learners?

Yup you do but before you can sit your theory you need to sit a Basic Handling Skills test.

Have a look here http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html

Then go for it! :)

menace
7th May 2004, 17:22
Yup you do but before you can sit your theory you need to sit a Basic Handling Skills test.

Have a look here http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html

Then go for it! :)

Yeah i checked that spanks. But like i have to get a bike first... hehe ive never riden anything more than a rented 50cc auto scooter over in europe and the thought of controling the cluch by hand and changing gears by feet is a bit :crazy:

But im sure it wont be tooo bad...

Ok i know ive asked a few questions already but ive got anotherone... :)

IS it really bad to drop a bike? I mean apart from the obvious damage to the body is there any internal damage to the engine or whatever??

curious george
7th May 2004, 18:01
Welcome to biking. You've done the right thing by selling the cage. :Pokey:
To quote MikeL, *Hee hee - saving money Hee hee*

Damage to engine highly possible, but to a degree, avoidable, damage to self; right up there, especially without good body armour. Get the best you can. Then upgrade. Can't say that enough.

Posh Tourer :P
7th May 2004, 18:09
Depends what you get. And how hard you drop it. Normally its just fairings if you low side it (bike slides out from under you). occasionally you'll do a cover or something, but nothing to internals too much. Beemer flat twins will fill a cylinder up with oil if you leave them on their sides too long. Its pretty hard to damage internals of the engine by dropping it, you'd have to bend the frame or the engine to do that, and at that level, I dont think you'll be in a state to worry about your bike. Unless you jumped off it very early...

If you can ride a bicycle, go to passrite. They reckon a couple of hours practice for those who've never ridden before, and then you can pass your motorcycle handling skills. Or try Doug Swanson... see the yellow pages. Last I saw he had a GN250 to learn on, but he's real good. Total cost of either, about $50 if you do it in a couple of hours. If not, its not that much more for a few extra lessons...

sAsLEX
7th May 2004, 21:57
You will see my cbr250rr outside AU engineering most days cept kegs and steins. Doing BE CompSys so good to see another one of us around here.

Did you go on the Tigers pub crawl??

maybe
7th May 2004, 22:16
Hi menace don't think about it do it.......