PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Q

Hellraiser
6th May 2006, 09:08
I did a search on splitting and as expected there was lots to read and lots of different views. The one thing i didn't get answered was why do we get picked on by the boy/gals in blue and cyclists don't?

On my way to work every morning i see them riding up the left and even running red lights some times in the full view of cops.

Sniper
6th May 2006, 09:31
We have the capability of going faster and have longer stopping distances. Our bikes are heavier. We are meant to be more responsible ect ect.

marty
6th May 2006, 10:22
i'm sure a cyclist on the motorway would be stopped.

and it's the right of a cyclist to get back all the cars/drivers that tried to kill them 60 seconds ago, by jumping red lights, swapping lanes without indicating, jumping kerbs, riding footpaths etc. get yourself a decent street MTB and try it - it's GREAT fun.

bobsmith
6th May 2006, 10:22
"longer stopping distances" a fast road bicycle? - brake - almost non-existant. = stopping distant - extremly long.

(I used to be one of those crazy idiots but I got hit by cars once too many times, twice in a hit and run, and stopped riding... I feel safer on a motorbike - at least all my skin is covered and I'll do more damage to the fucking cage if it tries to do a hit and run.)

Ixion
6th May 2006, 10:38
,, get back all the cars/drivers that tried to kill them 60 seconds ago, by jumping red lights, swapping lanes without indicating, jumping kerbs, riding footpaths etc. ,,

D'you think maybe the car drivers aren't actually trying to kill the cyclists? Sounds like the latter are making a pretty good effort without any assistance from the drivers.

Hellraiser
6th May 2006, 10:48
but at the end of the day they should be ticketing the cyclists as well one law for all ...... blah blah blah

GR81
6th May 2006, 11:02
but at the end of the day they should be ticketing the cyclists as well one law for all ...... blah blah blah
you havent been in nzl for long then ha? haha

SwanTiger
6th May 2006, 14:01
I did a search on splitting and as expected there was lots to read and lots of different views. The one thing i didn't get answered was why do we get picked on by the boy/gals in blue and cyclists don't?

On my way to work every morning i see them riding up the left and even running red lights some times in the full view of cops.

Bicycles are not motorised and there for are not governed by the same laws as a motorised vehicle. To suggest that some Police intentionally pick on Motorcyclist as opposed to Cyclist is an exageration of reality.

Ixion
6th May 2006, 14:10
No, they pretty much are goverened by the same laws, at least as far as red lights, give way, speed limits etc. Obviously not WoF and such like.

Thing is , they don't have licences. And the law about the cop being able to detain them to establish identity doesn't apply. So I guess the cops figure that unless it's really blatant their options are limited. Having no licence to be lifted does empower one.

Also the cyclist action groups are VERY vociferous and very united, and VERY VERY stroppy. Unlike biker groups who are quiet , timid, and completly dis-united.

The cyclists speak very loudly and with one voice at anything that offends them We, on the other hand just argue amongst ourselves and meekly take whatever is dished out to us.

marty
6th May 2006, 18:49
Bicycles are not motorised and there for are not governed by the same laws as a motorised vehicle. To suggest that some Police intentionally pick on Motorcyclist as opposed to Cyclist is an exageration of reality.

hmm. another well researched post. read the Land Transport Act. you're gonna be disappointed.

SwanTiger
6th May 2006, 21:44
hmm. another well researched post. read the Land Transport Act. you're gonna be disappointed.

I already have.

Cyclist are primarily only governed by 'Give Way' rules. Which makes sense.

As for Hellraisers comments regarding riding up the left, this is perfectly legal according to the context in which the LTSA website explains the rule.

"Keep as far left as possible"

And vehicles at lights are stationary vehicles.

I don't mind if there is anyone who can prove me wrong as I'd rather know things to be correct rather than wrong. However my previous post is based on what I know from the information provided by Authorities.

The only instance where the cyclist may of been wrong where it was mentioned by Hellraiser is with the running of a red light. Then again there are a lot of variables that could make that action legal.

If you can show me otherwise, shoot me a PM please. I can't be bothered following this mundane thread.

madboy
6th May 2006, 21:57
I had a feeling cyclists had to obey the same laws as other road users.

My opinion as to why the cops ignore the pushbikes but not the motorbikes - why bother with a pushbike? If they get hit, they're gonna be in a whole world of pain, probalby more so than a leather/cordura clad biker. And they don't generally lanesplit at 100k+ down the mway (although I'm sure someone knows someone who's done it down the gorge on their pushbike). Pushbikes are treated like a lower form of life by other road users, the cops are probably just leaving karma and darwin to dish out the infringements.

But I'd love to know how some of you folks manage to get picked on for lanesplitting etc. I don't. And I'm not just wanking on about doing a bloody runner either, honestly I've never had a cop try and stop me for lanesplitting. And I can assure you, I ain't no girl at lanesplitting.

Ixion
6th May 2006, 22:13
Bicycles are considered vehicles. That's the law. Read it and weep

LAND TRANSPORT ACT 1998
PART 1 - PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS
``Vehicle''—

(a)Means a contrivance equipped with wheels, tracks, or revolving runners on which it moves or is moved; and

(b)Includes a hovercraft, a skateboard, in-line skates, and roller skates; but

(c)Does not include—

(i)A perambulator or pushchair:

(ii)A shopping or sporting trundler not propelled by mechanical power:

(iii)A wheelbarrow or hand-trolley:

(iv)Repealed.

(v)A pedestrian-controlled lawnmower:

(vi)A pedestrian-controlled agricultural machine not propelled by mechanical power:

(vii)An article of furniture:

(viii)[a] wheel-chair not propelled by mechanical power:

(ix)Any other contrivance specified by the rules not to be a vehicle for the purposes of this definition:

[(x)any rail vehicle:]

and

Driver'', in relation to a vehicle, includes the rider of the motor cycle or moped or bicycle; and ``drive'' has a corresponding meaning:

and

LAND TRANSPORT (OFFENCES AND PENALTIES) REGULATIONS 1999
SCHEDULES
SCHEDULE 1

3.2(5)(a) Driver of vehicle enters (penalty $)... 150 -
controlled area when red
signal displayed

Last one is just one example of many that sepcify 'Driver' - and as seen above driver spefically include cyclist.

Jantar
6th May 2006, 22:20
My very first speeding ticket was as a 14 year old on a pushbike, heading down the Fairfield straight between Mosgiel and Dunedin. The Cop didn't give me the tricket personally, but delivered it to my father that night. The cop watched as my father delivered his own type of infringement penalty, then tore up the ticket.

Cyclists are supposed to follow the same laws as other road users, but they seldom do so.

Skyryder
6th May 2006, 22:35
If I had my way cyclelists would not have any right of way on the roads. That's the law in Holland. Well so my daughter tells me. The Chch CCC has spent a fortune on cycle lanes. They don't pay any road tax. They don't obey any rules of the road code. Not volintarely. The only time they stop or give way is save themselves from being hit. Then when they do have to stop they get pissed off a for the inconveniance. Fuckers should be registered like any other road user. In fact they should be taxed for the extra oxygen they use. The only usefull thing down here in Christchurch is that they are air filters for the city's polution.

Skyryder

MikeyG
31st May 2006, 14:32
Back when I did my license passing on the left was illegal unless the vehicle in frount is indicating a right turn. This would make it illegal for a cyclist to go up the inside at the lights no matter if the traffic is stationary or not.

Badcat
31st May 2006, 14:48
Also the cyclist action groups are VERY vociferous and very united, and VERY VERY stroppy. Unlike biker groups who are quiet , timid, and completly dis-united.

The cyclists speak very loudly and with one voice at anything that offends them We, on the other hand just argue amongst ourselves and meekly take whatever is dished out to us.

this is a really good point - think of all the cycle lanes that have been provided (the one along the western motorway in AK comes to mind).
do WE get any of these facilities?
no way.
and pushbikes don't even contribute via registration costs or tax on gas!
another PC Date-rape where our dollars subsidise hippies.

arrrgh.

Lou Girardin
31st May 2006, 15:05
Thing is , they don't have licences. And the law about the cop being able to detain them to establish identity doesn't apply. So I guess the cops figure that unless it's really blatant their options are limited. Having no licence to be lifted does empower one.

Yes he can, the same as he can for pedestrians.

Lou Girardin
31st May 2006, 15:10
The only instance where the cyclist may of been wrong where it was mentioned by Hellraiser is with the running of a red light. Then again there are a lot of variables that could make that action legal.

Like to name one?

Edbear
31st May 2006, 15:10
Unlike biker groups who are quiet , timid, and completly dis-united.

Sounds like KB....:innocent:

SwanTiger
31st May 2006, 15:29
Like to name one?

Go for a ride/drive around Devonport and you'll see what I mean.

They love lycra poofs out here.

ManDownUnder
31st May 2006, 15:38

err - we get picked on?

I don't! I ride past them most days - the full length of the North Western MW sometimes... (15kms?)

Me thinks it's the hoons that get pulled over - and that wouldn't matter too much if it was motorbcycle, pushbcycle or donkey kart.

Lou Girardin
31st May 2006, 15:51
Go for a ride/drive around Devonport and you'll see what I mean.

They love lycra poofs out here.

Is being a lycra clad poof a defence to breaching red lights?
If they extend that to motorcyclists this site will become kiwi bi-ker.

Lou Girardin
31st May 2006, 15:52
Me thinks it's the hoons that get pulled over - and that wouldn't matter too much if it was motorbcycle, pushbcycle or donkey kart.

I had to sell mine.
I felt such an ass in it.

ManDownUnder
31st May 2006, 15:54
I had to sell mine.
I felt such an ass in it.

So it was YOU grabbing my butt. Dammit man - you didn't even tell me your number!

I feel so cheap!

sunhuntin
5th June 2006, 14:33
i agree, they should have to be registered and know the road rules.
the number of intermediate aged and up idiots on the roads....they dont know the road rules....run red lights, come flying down driveways into the line of traffic, dont give way, and expect you to be able to stop in the blink of an eye. or else they hear you coming and swerve out towards you....deliberatly.
even the school aged peds step out on purpose. i had a kid pretend to run in front of me on a corner...so i swerved very sharply towards him and gave him a hell of a fright.
never mind policing rtaffic speed around schools, police the students who do dangerous acts, get themselves injured and then blame the driver.

Felicks
13th June 2006, 06:07
Speaking of butts - there is the odd time when its good to have cyclists on the road (see attachment).

But seriously, each has their own view, Police and public alike. Personally I ride push bikes as well as motorised ones. And yes - I've nearly been collected on several occassions by cages. However I'm one of those who actually abide by red lights and use the right side of the road and not the footpath etc. My occupation probaby has a little to do with it but law aside, its just plain courteous.

As Lou has said, the rules do apply to cyclists - they face $150 for running a red or amber for that matter, just like cages. And while working, I do use some healthy discretion with both motorcyclists and pedal pushers. Personally I think pedal pushers get away with far too much and ought to be ticketed more however its a case of where you draw the line. Some things just take priority over others.

All of the road rules physically just can't be enforced by the Police as we would never get from A - B doing real work (like attending burglaries). Being realistic we probably would not even make it out of one street if we stopped (let alone ticketed), every road user committing an offence!

justsomeguy
13th June 2006, 07:02
Most cyclists only split at such low speeds most of us would call it filtering. They are usually not that dangerous as they have more to lose and can't out accelerate traffic to the next gap to split through like we can.

Motorcyclists on the other hand can and do lanesplit at whatever speed they choose, sometimes even at twice the speed of smoothly flowing traffic - that's dangerous riding, blah, blah.:whocares:

ZeroIndex
13th June 2006, 07:10
hahaha, ..in the latest government appeal, bicycle riders will now have to be issued with a licence, and can be ticketed for speeding/reckless riding, can be issued with demerit points, worst case scenario, the bicycle could be impounded, and the riders licence could be taken away for 2 minutes P/T :D

James Deuce
13th June 2006, 07:21
$150 for running a red? Pathetic. It should be $2000000., or a 70 year jail sentence. That might stop it from happening.

ZeroIndex
13th June 2006, 11:25
$150 for running a red? Pathetic. It should be $2000000., or a 70 year jail sentence. That might stop it from happening.

OR... 1 year volunteering for Red Cross in some poor 3rd world country.. like france :D

mstriumph
13th June 2006, 11:34
:rockon:
anyway, god hates cyclists - that's why she invented male sports waxing, cheesy lycra and those pointy-backed helmets

Squeak the Rat
13th June 2006, 12:10

I agree. Guy at work was T-boned on his bike by a tintop last week in Mt Albert. He was in a coma for a couple of days, I think he's going to be ok though. Wasn't pleasant....

PuppetMaster
15th June 2006, 12:50
I saw a cyclist get pulled over by a bike cop a couple of weeks back. I didnt see why, but the cyclist decided not to stop so the bike cop followed him around and around until he stopped, a bit like Benny Hill, very ammusing.