PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment

duckaddict
7th May 2006, 10:42
I am so bloody disappointed and angry at myself! Not to mention the embarrassment. :o

After being stoked and glad for an invite to the great northern ride, I let ppl down by binning on a slow corner, the worst thing is it was just 5mins into the start of the ride! Can you imagine! I mean, I've been on quite a number of rides and I don't consider myself slow among other 250s (some would agree:rolleyes: ) and never had such an experience like today. It's fine if it was a fast or difficult corner etc. but... arrhhhh... :slap:

Well after that I decided to turn back for a few reasons; rear break lever was broken, handle bar tip broken (not that it matters), confidence was shaken, but most of all I wasn't sure if everything else was ok with the bike and judging from previous ride towards that way, the ride is going to take 8-10hrs easily, so I didn't think it was a good idea to continue.

Note to self: town or slow riding is VERY different to goin fast round twisties, etc. Might be a good idea to start commuting by bike rather than car - for a start.

:crybaby:

DA

Blairos
7th May 2006, 10:46
Sorry to hear about your early bin

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=603434#post603434

This is a reply just posted by Terbang, seems the road is closed up around Kaukop, and not all appears to be well - hope this isnt part of the Great Northern Ride group

PaddyFZ1
7th May 2006, 11:31
Bummer dude, guess it wasnt ment to be.
Hope you can get it fixed up ready for the next ride.

ZeroIndex
7th May 2006, 11:43
sorry to hear that :( hope you get your confidence and bike back to working level..

Jantar
7th May 2006, 11:48
After being stoked and glad for an invite to the great northern ride, I let ppl down by binning on a slow corner, the worst thing is it was just 5mins into the start of the ride! Can you imagine! I mean, I've been on quite a number of rides and I don't consider myself slow among other 250s (some would agree:rolleyes: ) and never had such an experience like today. It's fine if it was a fast or difficult corner etc. but... arrhhhh... :slap:

A lot of riders fail to understand that slow corners are always more difficult than fast corners. When going around a slow corner you have to stop counter steering, and use your body weight to lean into the corner and actually steer the bike as well. This is all wrong for the geometry of the bike, and a very small mistake can result in a fall. It is usually during the transition phase from normal riding (counter steering) to low speed riding that lines get messsed up, balance feels all wrong etc.

Don't worry about it too much. You've learnt a valuable lesson which in time will make you a much better rider.

Ixion
7th May 2006, 12:07
Sorry to hear about your early bin

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=603434#post603434

This is a reply just posted by Terbang, seems the road is closed up around Kaukop, and not all appears to be well - hope this isnt part of the Great Northern Ride group

From Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3660492a11,00.html

A man died after two to three motorcycles and two cars crashed on the State Highway 16 Kaipara Coast Highway.

Emergency services are currently at the scene and diversions have been put in place

duckaddict
7th May 2006, 15:42
Jantar - I think what you said is so true.

Which means the word for the day for me is "inexperience". Practice, practice, practice.

Can't wait to get my bike back on the road again.

Gontour
7th May 2006, 15:52
sorry to hear you binned DuckAddict.....I presume you are okay though.

Lord Derosso
7th May 2006, 15:53
of two more deaths.

Duck... recommend you change your name - its the season you know.

Seriously though, sad to hear of your fall and when you were out looking forward to a great ride with other riders. This is why its so much safer in ways to travel with others as you have the support if something goes wrong. i had two blowouts at speed in my early days(1970's) and one was at a very isolated place. Freaked out until this ute turned up... driven by my brother in law!! saved! Hay.. chill out get a few beers down you and just think of the positives. I am doing just that after a quick ride to the top of the Rimatukus and back in bloody cold conditions. Except I am drinking apline warmer wine.Cheers

MSTRS
7th May 2006, 17:14
Don't beat yourself up, Duckaddict. You and your bike seem to have not suffered too much damage - always could have been worse eh? It's only a disaster if you fail to learn from it.

Leong
9th May 2006, 17:32
A lot of riders fail to understand that slow corners are always more difficult than fast corners. When going around a slow corner you have to stop counter steering, and use your body weight to lean into the corner and actually steer the bike as well. This is all wrong for the geometry of the bike, and a very small mistake can result in a fall.

Yeah, those small roundabouts can be tricky, especially on an incline/hill. Saw a guy come off one morning on the way to work, going downhill into this roundabout.... He was down, got the bike back up and gone in all of 2 secs!!

Sorry to hear about the bin Duckaddict

slimjim
9th May 2006, 18:21
:crybaby: :apint: fuckandawhat,:baby: shit you rode it back,, gee's mate should have carried on you bloody wuss:banana: :banana: :Pokey: