PDA

View Full Version : The countryside in May

Hitcher
7th May 2006, 14:52
Sheep. A ruminant animal that defines New Zealand to much of the world. The basis of our economic wealth. An efficient means of converting cellulose into useful protein for human food and warmth. The subject of many a tourist photo. A contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. An animal I know way too much about. Thank you Massey University (the real one, in Palmerston North) and the sheep and cattle sectors of New Zealand. I am unworthy and forever in your debt.

In the words of a Tui poster, it’s amazing how a ride in the countryside puts one back in touch with one’s rural heritage. More likely that too much time restricted to one’s thoughts and imagination in the confines of a Shoei helmet is deeply delusional. A state not helped by whatever that song was that you hadn’t been able to shake in the past 300km.

My my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself…

A great thing about a motorcycle, compared with most other forms of transportation not directly based on the shedding of human perspiration, is that it involves you in the world through which you’re travelling. Robert Persig has a better way with words that I. But to paraphrase him, motorcycling puts you in the scenery, rather than just looking at it through the windows of a cage.

But such a phenomenon does not bridge New Zealand’s growing urban/rural divide. A phenomenon that cuts both ways.

'Cause I feel too much to let you go
I'm hurting you and it's hard I know
To stay and fight for what we've got
Knowing it'll never be good enough
'Cause you and I are dangerous
We want too much and life ain't that way
Don't ask for more
You'd be a fool
Haven't we already broken every rule…

I came to a realisation yesterday, as I languidly carved some of the Rangitikei region’s better roads, that The Next Big Thing for New Zealanders is all about us. Developing a shared vision, for ourselves and the generations that will follow us, for this magnificent country we’re proud to call home and how we all should live in it. Being respectful of these wonderful, yet fragile islands, and of each other and our diversity.

This journey starts with understanding. Of ourselves, at a deeply individual level, and of the perspectives of others with whom we will be sharing this odyssey. But this voyage into the future will be painful: eggs and omelettes. And this is why many will not be keen to fully engage. Life in New Zealand is easy and creates complacency. But the lifestyles we enjoy and aspire to are not sustainable. We ignore this at our peril.

We need to have the right song in our heads for the next stage of our travels as a nation. Together.

“Jesus, Hitcher. What was all that about?” I hear you ask?

Reflections from Saturday 6 May 2006. Wellington to Taihape for coffee and jeans. Perfect autumn riding weather, not too hot or cold. No wind. Up via Shannon, Palmerston North, Colyton and Cheltenham. Home via SH1, with a detour at Levin to give Beemer $20 for her correct prognostication about the time it would take to repair a crashed ST1300. Thanks to Beemer and Mr B for the tea and hospitality. Almost exactly 500km ridden. In the words of Richie Benaud, “Marvellous!”

Kendog
7th May 2006, 15:03
Respect Hitcher. I have no idea what you're on about (that's ok, isn't it?), :spudwhat: but I enjoyed your thoughtful dialogue anyway, it gave me a peaceful, warm-fussy feeling.:2thumbsup
Mrs KD.

Jase W
7th May 2006, 17:02
I forgot everything in the post after I read you stopped in Levin :2thumbsup

Scorpygirl
7th May 2006, 17:10
:scratch: Very poetic Hitcher, I think?!! :psst: What did he say? :rofl: :rolleyes:

rfc85
7th May 2006, 17:48
did the same ride today,but i didn't call in and give $20 to beemer or look for jeans in taihape,great ride the weather was good everywhere except here !!!!!!

cowpoos
7th May 2006, 19:43
most NZer's are to short sighted.....don't see very far out side of their own backdoor....can't see past their mundane day to day lifes....can't look in to others thoughs....how can you expect them to see such a big picture hitcher?

SlowHand
7th May 2006, 21:55
most NZer's are to short sighted.....don't see very far out side of their own backdoor....can't see past their mundane day to day lifes....can't look in to others thoughs....how can you expect them to see such a big picture hitcher?

Translation: I haven't a clue what that was about, please explain it to me

Storm
7th May 2006, 22:04
Once again Mr H, a well written and thoughtful piece of literature. Continue the good work

cowpoos
8th May 2006, 10:54
no...I think thats the question you want to ask....and decided to use me as bait to get a repley.... :P

Hitcher
8th May 2006, 13:32
What have you done today to make New Zealand a better place for your grandchildren/mokopuna?

DemonWolf
8th May 2006, 13:47
Cheers Hitcher... gets one thinking.

SlowHand
8th May 2006, 17:09
no...I think thats the question you want to ask....and decided to use me as bait to get a repley.... :P

How do I know your not using my question thats using your question to ask the question you were originally asking?

What have you done today to make New Zealand a better place for your grandchildren/mokopuna?

I watered many plants on saturday if that counts, while sacrificing my own bwaincells..

On topic, sounds like your really enjoying the return of the ST Mr. Hitcher

Hitcher
8th May 2006, 18:08
On topic, sounds like your really enjoying the return of the ST Mr. Hitcher
To a point where I no longer know whether I am an extension of it, or it of me.

Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease

SPman
8th May 2006, 18:22
Left it?....

Madness
8th May 2006, 18:34
One thing I got from enjoying our beautiful countryside in May last weekend was the discovery that there is no bad season for motorcycling. Now that I am waterproof I am able to go out on rainy days, enabling my partner to study in peace, making for a brighter future for our future children. I call it biking for a better world, helps with the self-justification.

SlowHand
8th May 2006, 19:35
Heck, Ive been in grumpier mood (relatively), since I've had to cage it to work. Poor builders and reps calling me in the morning have to deal with cranky Strat.

And Mr. Hitcher, now your speaking in my language, I got all confused with those foreign songs.

cowpoos
8th May 2006, 19:57
Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease

good driving/riding song that one.......err........and drinking?

Hitcher
8th May 2006, 20:07
good driving/riding song that one.......err........and drinking?
Never underestimate the power of a great rhythm section.

Colapop
8th May 2006, 20:14
And 'ere wrote he. Of time, spent not of loathe past-times but loftier yearnings and said he
"Who so shall telle a tale after a man,
He moste reherse, as neighe as ever he can,
Everich word, if it be in his charge,
All speke he never so rudely and so large;
Or elles he moste tellen his tale untrewe,
Or feinen thinges, or finden wordes newe."

Nicely said Hitcher.