PDA

View Full Version : dss3 Race Report PMCC 07.05.06

dss3
7th May 2006, 21:17
Had a pretty awesome time at Taupo this weekend. Beginning with getting some nice new tyre warmers during the week (thanks Mum!), and a nice helmut to race in after scratching my last one on the track last weekend (thanks very very very much Quasi and Quasimoto!)

Weather forecast looked mint for a change, and woke to a cold but very clear morning. Myself and Quasi got to the track nice and early about 8.00 and were surprisingly well set up and organised, and ready to race.

Being first PMCC race on the new track meant two practise sessions and 3 scheduled races. There were a huge number of bikes in all classes, and quite a few different classes too, even sidecars. Very cool to see.

First two practise sessions came and went without much excitment or drama, Sam Smith following me in the first, and me following him in the second. Felt pretty comfortable having already done this track a few times, while others were on there for their first time.

Come time for race one, grid positions were a bit of a free-for-all really. Thought I would just grab a possie on the 2nd row and see what happened. Had a good start and headed for outside of the first corner, however being the long way around I found myself in about 4th position. Was behind a couple of F2 bikes. Maybe Nicko, a ZX6RR and something else. It took me about 2-3 laps to get into second place and by then Sam had about a 50m lead which was too much for me to attempt to catch really. Quick check behind me on last corner and had time for a bit of a wheelie across the line for my little cousins who now think im cool haha. 1st Sam Smith, 2nd Me, 3rd Andrew Stroud.

Second race and I wanted to start on the front row if I could. Unfortunately by the time I got there it was full. Fair enough, perhaps they had points in the championship and this was my first round. Had another decent start and was about 4th or 5th, but stuck behind slower bikes again and being held up, while Smith and Stroud pulled away. Again took me a few laps to get passed these few bikes and into 3rd position this time. Smith and Stroud had a pretty huge margin on me now, and so pretty much had to settle for third. Pulled a lame attempt at a wheelie on finish straight to make things worse haha

So overall happy with the results, but dissapointed to miss out on the chance to follow the fast guys and learn a bit from them. Definitly is the best way to learn I reckon: Following people who are better than you, don't get many chances to follow someone like Stroud and learn from the master.

Bit of a shame to only get two races, but thats cool, even worse for the F3 guys who only got one race all day. Hope that they guys involved in the crash at the end of the day heal well and the injuries aren't too serious.

Big thanks to Brett/Quasi, Kickingzebra, Road Rash, Mental-Trousers, Nicko's mate Phil and anyone/everyone else that helped me out in the pits today. Would be too much to do by myself.

Now looking foward to the 1st round of VMCC winter series, and first chance to actually do a full race series and try get some points. Looking to get some race fairings and wets shortly as I start to get the all gears I need to compete.

C ya
Daryl:scooter:

vtec
8th May 2006, 07:31
That's pretty awesome man. You must have a bit of talent... Keep it up.

Zed
8th May 2006, 07:38
Way to go Daryl, congrats on your 2nd & 3rd placings!

I wish you all the best for the winter series. :yeah:

Quasievil
8th May 2006, 07:47
Good effort mate, best thing all day was watching you dicing with Stroud, fuck that was cool!!! and whipping him was even cooler. Its not so much the fact that you beat him its a statement of your ability and potential to be amongst those guys.
Now design your fucken leathers so I can order them today tommorrow!!!!! you will have em in three weeks

FROSTY
8th May 2006, 08:09
good onya dude. great effort on ya nekkid bike.

erik
8th May 2006, 08:49
congrats on finishing in front of Stroud. Very impressive :niceone:

loosebruce
8th May 2006, 08:51
You must have a bit of talent...

No you're mistaken there lol.

Fucken mint shit daryl, fuck it knew i should've tried and made it down there, ah well, bring on the winter series, give us a call at some stage mate, we gotta decide on what fillings to take down for the pie maker.

Keystone19
8th May 2006, 09:38
Great watching you dice with the big fellas Daryl.

*oh, that's right, you are one of the big fellas now*.

:2thumbsup

Mental Trousers
8th May 2006, 10:24
Was a good effort dude. But I reckon you've gotta stop trying to out brake everyone at the end of the straight cos half the time you out braked yourself :slap:

dss3
8th May 2006, 10:33
Was a good effort dude. But I reckon you've gotta stop trying to out brake everyone at the end of the straight cos half the time you out braked yourself :slap:

Yeah did run too deep in there a bit. Problem is that is pretty much the best place to pass on the lap I reckon. Had to have a go there or get held up for another lap through the infield, where if you are only slightly quicker than person in front it is hard to get passed. First couple of times braked really late to make sure I got passed the guy, but then went too deep. Then realised I didn't need to brake that late to get passed them, and could still take corner decently. Will know better for next time eh.

Two Smoker
8th May 2006, 10:44
wicked stuff Daryl... dont know what vtec is saying about talent.... other than talent for bing a homo... But anyway... anyone get some times down for you???

dss3
8th May 2006, 10:54
wicked stuff Daryl... dont know what vtec is saying about talent.... other than talent for bing a homo... But anyway... anyone get some times down for you???

Got down to a 1.13:00 from what I hear. Still plenty of room for improvement though. Sam was doing low 1.12's at the end of the day. Umm, other times I heard was that one of the Moto-Dynamix lads improved throughout day and got a 1.13:4 on his 600. Quasi started off the day around 1.27 and dropped a couple of seconds down to around 1.25 after a couple of practise sessions.

DEATH_INC.
8th May 2006, 11:02
Congrats Daryl, that's pretty mean beating stroud.
WSB next?

cowpoos
8th May 2006, 11:05
No you're mistaken there lol.

Fucken mint shit daryl, fuck it knew i should've tried and made it down there, ah well, bring on the winter series, give us a call at some stage mate, we gotta decide on what fillings to take down for the pie maker.
have you got the generator organised for the pie maker???

Mental Trousers
8th May 2006, 11:09
Ah good stuff mate. I guess you'll be learning things for a while yet. Nice effort.

cowpoos
8th May 2006, 11:13
seriously though....gud shit....out of interest is stroud on the thou or 600?

dss3
8th May 2006, 11:14
Congrats Daryl, that's pretty mean beating stroud.
WSB next?

Haha, yeah right! It is cool to have finished ahead of him, but im sure he'd have kicked my ass easy as, if he had wanted to.

Next is go and learn Manfield :-)

dss3
8th May 2006, 11:15
seriously though....gud shit....out of interest is stroud on the thou or 600?

He was on a 1000

R6_kid
8th May 2006, 11:19
good too see you're straight back into it at a decent pace dss3. I know i wouldnt be complaining about being within visible distance of stroud/smith in a race! Looking forward to the next writeup, might even make it down to the track to give you some shit.

motobob
8th May 2006, 11:32
That's pretty awesome man. You must have a bit of talent... Keep it up.

Yeah understatement of the year vtec. Giving Stroud the learn was pretty awesome to watch. Keeping Sam Smith honest on a 600 that Strouds Gixxer couldn't even pass on the straight was Farking impressive. Best you buddy up to Tony Rees and get him to have Yamaha keep an eye on you sonny.

Good luck for the VMCC series.

GSVR
8th May 2006, 12:28
That wheelie in the first race was primo. Heard the clutch drop and then you held it all the way till having to hit the picks.

Sam Smith was flying and was in a class of his own until Stroud started to get to grips with the track but his bike was slipping arouind a bit. Your a legend for keeping up with that company.

Mental Trousers
8th May 2006, 14:24
He was on a 1000

I was wondering about that cos the '06 R6 of Sam Smiths was staying well ahead. Stroud was slowly pulling him back, but only slowly, gaining a few meters here and there but it wasn't power that was doing it.

I think he started midpack in that first race and had to get past about 5 guys before he could start chasing you, but the gap was too much.

Cleve
8th May 2006, 14:33
You were going real well Daryl. I noticed that at the end of the first race Andrew Stroud rode past your pits and gave you a good long look. As if to say "who the hell are you and where did you come from?..."

Sam Smith was something else though. I got a good start in race 2 but he just flew past me. Didn't realise there was such a power difference between the 05 R6 and the 06 R6...?? But he was awesome backing it into the corner at the end of the front straight. Lap after lap the back end slid around... He will go far that boy.

MOTOXXX
8th May 2006, 14:33
Dude i was very close to the pit wall when you went out on the first practice lap. When you went real wide and almost lost the back by the pit wall was very hairy. Well done though, you were flying.

dss3
8th May 2006, 14:37
Sam Smith was something else though. I got a good start in race 2 but he just flew past me. Didn't realise there was such a power difference between the 05 R6 and the 06 R6...?? But he was awesome backing it into the corner at the end of the front straight. Lap after lap the back end slid around... He will go far that boy.

Yeah it was pretty awesome watching him entering that corner at the end of the day eh! Apparently he is off to AUS in the next week or two for a race. Reckons it is really tough over there, hope he does well, and kicks some ass for us Yammy riders. Plus its one less person to beat us at Manfield!

kiwifruit
8th May 2006, 16:16
good work Daryl,
got some skills u ave!