PDA

View Full Version : Keystone19 Race Report PMCC 7 May 2006

Keystone19
8th May 2006, 10:18
Can you believe it? I'm back in Taupo again. On the race track again.

So, here we are again, setting up in the pits, rolling the bikes on to their stands, checking that nothing has got broken in transit, feeling nervous and excited. I wander down to sign up and find that because I only have an Auckland club license (well I didn't think I was going to race any other races this season), I have to pay for a day license. Fork out the cash and take the bike down for scrutineering. This time she gets through with no worries so I push her back to our pit. Those bikes are quite heavy when you have to push them...

I'm racing Clubmans this week because Motobob wants to try his hand at F3 and I might race Clubmans next year at the PMCC rounds and don't want to do F3 in case they won't let me back into Clubmans. There's 7 bikes in Clubmans and it's an exclusive race meaning only Clubmans, not combined with anyone else. I like this, but it does mean that no-one really watches us because we're not very exciting...

Head out on the first practice laps and it's a shocker. I know this track pretty well now but I'm still struggling with getting the tyres warm after coming off on the sweeper here a week and a half ago. Two laps in and I'm still feeling nervous, three laps and I think they must be warm by now but still can't get my head around it and by now it's time to come in. I'm feeling frustrated and unhappy with my efforts and have to have a think about this tyre issue. Motobob thinks I need to go faster to warm up, Shaun Harris says I need tyre warmers to run the slicks. He's right of course but that doesn't help me today!

Second practice lap and I push a little harder. Feeling better, a little more confidence, get my knee down and no problems with sliding, start to open her up a little more but still nowhere near the potential of the bike or myself. Still, feeling pleased with this practice, the bike is handling well although I'm not convinced I've got the gearing right. I'm tending to leave her in third for most of the lap, pushing it up into fourth on the front straight and after the sweeper before the chicane. This means I'm redlining it before the sweeper and at the end of the back straight before having to brake for the corner. There just doesn't seem to be much point in changing gear until I can up my exit speeds from the corners.

I have a bit of a look at the others in Clubmans and see there is a Ducati (he's running tyre warmers), a GSXR600 (he's not running tyre warmers but his bike has just been raced in F1 so his tyres are warm), a couple of motards, a two stroke something or other, and Brandon on Mella Yella in his first race (awesome effort btw, you were looking great in that last race from what I could see). There doesn't seem to be any order on the grid so heading out for the first race I decide that my strategy will be to line up on the front of the grid and if they don't like it I'm sure they'll tell me to move.

I get a brilliant start (even accidently pull my first wheelie) but chicken out heading into the first corner, not feeling comfortable with the tyres. The ducati, 600, two motards and the two stroke get in front of me. I keep in touch with them though and just let my tyres warm up. By the second lap I decide it's time to get going and start pushing a little harder. I manage to get past the two stroke on the back straight but he out corners me onto the front straight so I have to do it again. Now for the motard. I manage to take him around the sweeper and leave him behind. There's no one ahead of me for a while and then I start to see the 600 and the other motard ahead of me. I'm gaining on them with every corner but I run out of time and the flag drops. Oh well, next time. I'm pleased with the race though and manage a 4th place.

Race 2 and I screw up the start, chicken out on the first corner again and find myself in the same position as in the first race. This time though, although I manage to get past the two stroke I just can't get past the motard safely. I manage to get my nose in front of him down the back straight and should have pushed through but the balls just aren't there today (HDTBoy says I'll always have trouble with that, he says a vital part of my anatomy is missing, but apparently if a girl has sex the day before she races it increases the testosterone levels - I'll have to work on that one).

So this time I manage a 5th placing, not so pleased with my efforts but apparently I was going faster - I guess the others must have been too. I enjoyed Clubmans, the guys were the same level of experience as me (i.e. not much) and it was safe to assume that they might do something stupid too. Always good to know what you're fellow competitors might do! Lapped a 1.24 in this race I believe.

Time for a break from the racing for a while. Need to get some tyres I can trust on the SV, need to learn the bike at a few practice days and get some confidence up before getting into next season. Can't wait!

Two Smoker
8th May 2006, 10:52
Wicked stuff Jill, keep it up :niceone: and maybe time to get some tyre warmers aye???

skelstar
8th May 2006, 10:54
Yeah. Sounds like youre having a lot of grief without them. What do they cost?
Noob/stupid question: how do they compare (temp-wise) to an electric blanket? Assuming: much hotter.

cowpoos
8th May 2006, 11:10
apparently if a girl has sex the day before she races it increases the testosterone levels - I'll have to work on that one).

I can personally give you a hand with that luff!!!

anyway...good shit girly...

R6_kid
8th May 2006, 11:15
good stuff! So when do you want me round to clean em?

Keystone19
8th May 2006, 11:19
Might have to be next week Gareth when we get the trailer back from being galvanised. No hose or water at Motobob's place - bloody apartment dwellers.

Yeah tyre warmers would be a nice luxury for next season, a set of pilot powers for winter might have to do though. How big a generator does one need to run 2-3 sets of tyre warmers?

svs
8th May 2006, 11:54
2-3 sets of tyre warmers, then you're looking at at least a 3kW generator.

And skelstar, there's no comparison with an 'electric blanket'

Tyrewarmers should (not all do) heat the entire carcass of the tyre to race temperature. Some are fixed temp, some are hotter than others and some are controllable. Some are insulated to keep the heat in, others aren't.

It all depends how much you want to spend.

It helps with short sprint races we have in NZ, if you go out on cold tyres your tyres won't be up to temperature until around lap 4. They help with your confidence in the first couple of laps and they also help to prevent 'cold tearing' of the tyres and help to reduce the number of 'heat cycles' that your tyres go through - should help make the tyres last longer.

motobob
8th May 2006, 12:14
2-3 sets of tyre warmers, then you're looking at at least a 3kW generator.

Tyrewarmers should (not all do) heat the entire carcass of the tyre to race temperature. Some are fixed temp, some are hotter than others and some are controllable. Some are insulated to keep the heat in, others aren't.

It all depends how much you want to spend.

So whats your recomendation SVS.

BTW How do the warmers sold be Gary at GP M/C's stack up.

dss3
8th May 2006, 13:30
How big a generator does one need to run 2-3 sets of tyre warmers?

Me and Nicko ran both our sets of tyre warmers off my generator. It is a 2.5kw one I got from our parts warehouse. Can get them for about $250.00 or less I believe. Nicko buying one this week.

BTW good work on the racing there :-)

Devil
8th May 2006, 14:19
Good on you, keeping it in one piece!

clint640
8th May 2006, 14:47
What a great day's fun! I had just decided to get some road tyres for tootling 'round with Rosie & for the KB trackday when Brad the bro-in-law said 'why doncha come out in the Pacific club race?' Remembering how much fun I had had when racing the 'ol VFR400 a coupla years back I thought why the hell not?

I managed to track down some reasonable rubber, Bridgestone BT45's. Not exactly hardcore trackday gear but you take what you can get when you're looking for a 21" front & a 18" rear. These only went on on Friday so the only riding I had done on them was a cruisy tootle to Tauranga to go shoe shopping with Rosie (nice Sidi's thanks Moto GB)

The track is just down the road from my place so I rode there & race-prepped the bike (took the mirror off). The practices were spent working things out, I'd never really quite got a fast tarmac cornering technique properly sorted on the 640 but after trying a few lines & body positions things were a lot more comfortable. The new short track is pretty cool, having a surface that smooth to play on is a treat.

In the 1st race the leaders opened up a big gap pretty quickly so I was just cruising along by myself without worrying about who was behind until an SV650 passed me. I tried to give chase but she was outta there! I was quicker out of the corners but she was faster everywhere else.

In the second race I had a goal: stay in front of that SV650! I was starting to speed up a bit & my cunning strategy (or was it crap technique?) of never taking the same line twice & braking & gearchanging in random places worked a treat & I managed to hold her off.

Later I was talking to the SV650 pilot & discovered that she was Keystone19, I also met up with a few other KB'ers that were there racing. Unfortunately there was a serious crash & the last races were cancelled, one more session would have been good.

See y'all at the trackday!
Clint

kiwifruit
8th May 2006, 16:19
Thanks for the report :)

FROSTY
8th May 2006, 19:46
Great report Jill--sorry I wasn't there-The ol race fund only stretches so far.
Um re tyre warmers.Not being funny or trying to sound contrecending (sp)
But I don't run warmers and Im going a faiir bit faster than you.
I'd suggest the issue is that youre running slicks. Slicks have a differnt feel than road tyres and because they have no tread to flex they take longer to warm up.
My opinion (please tis my opinion only) is that you would at this stage be better off with the PP sports or the racetecs.--Im basing that opinion on your 1.15's at pukie on your road bike

vtec
8th May 2006, 20:30
Good report Keystone, bummer about the tyre issues. I would seriously have to agree with Frosty on this one. Although taking into account I've never ridden slicks. I feel supremely confident in the dry on a top of the line road tyre. I seriously believe that I can avoid crashing in the dry for many years to come on the circuit, not taking into account certain variables of course. I think road tyres probably give you more feedback than slicks (my guess). Get a top quality set of Dunlops/Bridgestones and you won't be dissappointed. I have no idea about the quality of other brands, but I've loved both my Bridgestone Battleaxe BT090(front only), and currently love my Dunlop GPR70's (front and rear).

A lot of respect

Jason.

loosebruce
8th May 2006, 21:20
On ya Jill, yeah ditch the slicks for sure girl, it takes me and daryl at least 1 and 1/2 laps to even think about starting to push from a cold slick, and it does take up to 3-4 laps before we are really on it, by then your race is almost over.
I've got some warmers on the way (thanks SVS) i'd recommend getting them if you plan on racing regularly, just get a good quality set (PM SVS for details on his, sharp price and real good quality) try some racetecs or supercorsa's or even as frosty said, Pilot Powers, they are one of the fastest heating tyres out there without warmers.

Are you kicking it down to manfeild at all?

Keystone19
8th May 2006, 21:57
Cheers guys.

The bike came with the slicks on so we thought we'd give them a go this weekend in the dry even though we ran pilots last week. Both me and Motobob had the same lack of confidence on the slicks and he's never run tyre warmers either.

We took the pilot rear off my road bike which was fine as a one off last week but I'll get a new set before the KB track day for the race bike (credit card limit not withstanding). With a bit of luck that should solve a few problems and be a good tyre to run through winter.

I'm not planning to do the Vic club winter series - maybe one race - but Motobob will probably do F3 on the SV.

Cracked me up a bit at the weekend on the slicks though, takes 3 laps to warm them up of a 5 lap race, kind of amusing really...

Keystone19
8th May 2006, 21:58
Oh, and Frosty, that's 1.12's at Pukekohe on my street SV...:ride:

Two Smoker
9th May 2006, 09:29
Im just a little worried that as your riding skill and speed increases, you might outdo the pilot powers as they arent a track based tyre... I highly recommend Supercorsas as they are a shit load better in the wet than racetechs...

motobob
9th May 2006, 11:09
The reason for the use of slicks is advice from Shaun. As you guys know the sweeper tears up your tyres, Shaun felt the slicks would be a better option but do need warmers.

The rear slick has a similar wear pattern to my Super Corsa's so the tyre is being worked. But the slick was still slipping on the grid markings entering the last turn yet the SC's didn't strange!

Cleve Brown is running PP's and these show little wear at all, He is pushing the R6 along at a similar pace to my CBR yet our tyres look completely different at the end of the race.

Frosty, K19 will be kicking your butt shortly :rolleyes: so watch out.

cowpoos
9th May 2006, 12:00
they are a shit load better in the wet than racetechs...

racetechs and rain......not cool....not cool at all....!!!!!! agree totally bro...

tearing up a tyre can be the tyre.....can be too light spring rate.....can be not enuff rebound....and can be the surface.....but if others arn't tearing up there tyres on the same track....on the same tyres.....my guess would be rebound....and may be spring rate to soft....although if the tyres not hot enough that could also be the problem....

Cleve
9th May 2006, 12:06
My understanding is that if the tyre isn't tearing up too much (and you are NOT falling off through lack of grip) then you have your suspension pretty much sorted...?
Still I would like to see a bit more wear on my PP, it kind of worries me that they don't rough up much at all.

dss3
9th May 2006, 12:31
I don't really know jack shit about suspension on bikes however... I did have a Supercorser on at Taupo, the left hand side was tearing up and leaving big strange patterns on it the same as many others are getting. Then on Sunday I ran slicks, the slicks have no sign of tearing up or any wear on them at all, pretty much just smooth all the way around. ... for what that info is worth or tells you about suspension setup I have no idea!

Cleve
9th May 2006, 12:39
I don't really know jack shit about suspension on bikes however... I did have a Supercorser on at Taupo, the left hand side was tearing up and leaving big strange patterns on it the same as many others are getting. Then on Sunday I ran slicks, the slicks have no sign of tearing up or any wear on them at all, pretty much just smooth all the way around. ... for what that info is worth or tells you about suspension setup I have no idea!

Hmmm but you were getting damn low on the slicks and you didn't fall off...
Also I noticed Sam Smith's Dunlop road tyres looked smooth as well...
hmmm no still don't have a fucking clue myself. Maybe some master like Shaun will read this and spread light...

vtec
9th May 2006, 13:54
I found that I was ripping up my tyres because I didn't have enough air pressure in them. That could have something to do with it, but it could also be suspension.

babyB
11th May 2006, 00:19
cool wight up keystone. good to see ya out there & sticking with it

Keystone19
11th May 2006, 08:16
Great photos BabyB! Thanks!

FROSTY
11th May 2006, 09:26
Dunno if it'll help cos every bike is a bit different. I had my first crash at turn 1 of the old track.There is no question as to what happened. Even running 26 pounds in the front my tyres were still stone cold and smooth as a babys bum -no balling up at all. There is no feel for what the tyre is doing. -I pushed too hard and the tyre just said--BYE BYE
Dougal noticed that even the F2 guys were running wets --Ie a very soft tyre in the dry.
I think the weird wear pattern is partially caused by the tyres being too cold and literally ripping away from the tread grooves.
I'm thinking a soft compound PP ROAD might help in that the tyre has heaps more grooving so the treads can flex and heat up better/quicker.

Keystone19
11th May 2006, 14:33
Have decided to go with the Pilot Power for now but will also be looking at suspension settings with Shaun at the KB track day. His feeling is that it may be too stiff in the rear for my weight which is contributing to the lack of heat in the tyres as well.

motobob
11th May 2006, 15:45
His feeling is that it may be too stiff in the rear for my weight which is contributing to the lack of heat in the tyres as well.

Looks like you may have to visit Burger King more often to help the tyre situation:blip: