PDA

View Full Version : Life is sweet

MikeL
28th March 2003, 21:12
How's this:
Two days after forking out $600 for a 30k service, new rear tyre and fixing an ignition fault, coming home from work today with the rain pissing down, suddenly there's this godawful burning smell - very strong, the frying insulation/melting component smell that despite Kwaka's philosophy just can't be ignored. I kill the engine and pull over, ready to jump off as I'm convinced the bike is about to be engulfed in flames, when I happen to notice in my mirror the cager behind has also pulled over. The driver jumps out, runs to the front of his car, opens the bonnet and confronts a cloud of acrid smoke. I start my engine, pull out into the traffic and continue serenely on my way. Suddenly the rain, the wind, the heavy traffic and the slippery road don't matter any more.
Sometimes life can be very sweet indeed.:calm:

Slim
28th March 2003, 23:53
I've booked my ferry crossings & first nights accomodation at YHA Picton for a week cruising around the South Island, commencing on the 6th April.

What makes it sweeter, is that no leave will be deducted from my leave balance, and yet I'll be on holiday and fully paid. :cool:

:D

NhuanH
29th March 2003, 06:58
Slim, let us in on your crafty scam.  Is it a "work" junket or what?  Can I come work with you?

What?
29th March 2003, 08:44
Just looked in the mirror and noticed I have turned a very bright shade of green.:eek5:

You're a legend Slim. Hope it doesn't rain for you.:done:

Slim
29th March 2003, 23:29
A co-worker had resigned & left on the 21st of March. Instead of shifting everyone's roster around, our Roster man asked me to do some pretty serious nights & evening shifts for a couple of months.

7 nights (that's 11pm-7am, commencing the day before my birthday, the rotten bugger!), 4 days off, 7 evenings (3pm-11pm - very anti-social), 2 days off, 7 more nights (which I just started last night), 4 days off, 7 more evenings, 2 days off & 7 more nights (commencing Easter Friday).

I told him that he knew I didn't like the 3-11 shifts, I wanted my birthday off in view of the coming roster and that I wanted something over & above the (quite generous) penal rates I'd be getting.

In the end, he gave me the middle evening session off, fully paid, but not affecting my leave balance. That's 9 days in a row off, and when I return to work it's 3pm-11pm, so I get a sleep-in too :D

Moral of this story: It doesn't hurt to ask, because they might not say no. :)