PDA

View Full Version : Events in Wellington

maybe
7th May 2004, 21:36
Hi guys do I not read the right papers or look in the right places......there seems to be a lack of organised rides in the Wellington region or if there are rides they don't seem to be well publicised........take easter for example I could not find out any thing about an easter run for the kids....I checked papers rang bike shops tried to get hold of clubs to see if they new any thing but my efforts were wasted as I could find no information......is it just me or do other bikers find the same thing........there always seems to be rides organised for various things over the rest of the country but as I have stated very little here..

Cheers
Maybe

Deano
7th May 2004, 21:50
Hi guys do I not read the right papers or look in the right places......there seems to be a lack of organised rides in the Wellington region or if there are rides they don't seem to be well publisised........take easter for example I could not find out any thing about an easter run for the kids....I checked papers rang bike shops tried to get hold of clubs to see if they new any thing but my efforts were wasted as I could find no information......is it just me or do other bikers find the same thing........there always seems to be rides organised for various things over the rest of the country but as I have stated very little here..

Cheers
Maybe

You missed a good ride Easter Monday - was well publicised in here, under meetings and events I think.

There is a ride from TSS motorcycles on some Sundays. Someone in here will know more or contact Stu @ TSS Motorcycles, Cuba Street, Alicetown.

LB
8th May 2004, 05:28
a loose group of us has an arrangement that any fine Sunday those who are around meet at Caltex Rimutaka for an 8.30am departure, usually to the Wairarapa for brunch at the Flying Fish. You're welcome to join us any time - I'll be there tomorrow (9th May) - I'll the one on the red Monster. There's at least about three others definite for tomorrow (weather permitting, but it's a good forecast).

We don't travel at warp speed, and you may join us and think we're a pack of plonkers and you never want to ride with us again, but you're welcome to come along.

Invite is cordially extended to anyone on the KB site. (some of you already know about it anyway)

Lynda

Ms Piggy
9th May 2004, 12:49
a loose group of us has an arrangement that any fine Sunday those who are around meet at Caltex Rimutaka for an 8.30am departure, usually to the Wairarapa for brunch at the Flying Fish. You're welcome to join us any time - I'll be there tomorrow (9th May) Lynda

Hey Lynda,
Thanks for organising a fantastic ride! I really appreciated the "pep" talk at the start, it was nice to feel like everyone knew what was happening. Thanks also to Hamish (Lynda's long suffering husband) for looking after me & staying with me on the ride.

Thanks to Ola too for riding out with me and Hugh(?) who rode back to Featherston with me (although I don't think he's a KBer).

All in all a great ride, gorgeous weather & lovely scenery.

Hope you all enjoyed the rest of it and I look forward to the next one.

:2thumbsup

bungbung
9th May 2004, 16:30
Some pix from todays ride. Lynda, will you do the honours?

LB
9th May 2004, 18:11
It was a great ride, we've just got home after visiting a mate in Whiteman's Valley. I'll post a story tomorrow morning.

Hitcher
9th May 2004, 22:10
8:30am starts on a Sunday... Are you people MAD??? By the time we get to "The Fish" the sparrow has well and truly farted...

LB
10th May 2004, 05:35
8:30am starts on a Sunday... Are you people MAD??? By the time we get to "The Fish" the sparrow has well and truly farted...
Isn't being mad a prerequisite for being a motorcyclist? :wacko:
And I'd wondered what the pong was yesterday at the Fish - must have been all those bloody sparrows!!

LB
10th May 2004, 05:48
We left Caltex Rimutaka in great weather around 8.45am - about 10 of us (I did count, but I've forgotten!). A couple of new faces we'd not met before, Scott on the lovely sounding 750 Sport Ducati, and Neil on his Harley. Nice to meet you guys (I'm sending them the link to this website you see, so they may become KBers!)

KBers included Celtic Sea Lily, Smiley, Bung Bung, Marcus and me, plus others. One of our number lives in Masterton and had ridden down to join us to ride back to the Wairarapa (see what I mean about having to be mad??!!) We had a "ride at your own pace" day. We regrouped at Featherston, and went down the Western side of the lake (apart from two who were on a time limit so they went directly to "The Fish" in Martinborough). The road was dry, hardly any wind, and a pleasant warm temperature. A couple of our group hadn't been down that road before - it's a great road, some twisties, some straights, and some lovely parts with trees overhanging the road (can get a bit slippery in winter with lichen/damp, but not today!).

From there we cut across the bottom of Lake Wairarapa (on the road they do the standing/flying quarter mile sprints - I resisted temptation to pretend I was doing the flyings....unlike some of the group!!) then onto the Lake Ferry Road to Martinborough. A very pleasant hour or so was spent eating and drinking coffees. Two more turned up shortly after, they'd just missed us at Caltex. Robbie was on his lovely MHR Ducati - it's first trip over the hill. What a wonderful sound those Contis make.

CSL is planning a trip to Auckland, so I hauled out my maps and we all gave our versions of the best way to get there. Funnily enough, we all agreed it was either via the Paraparas/National Park, or Taranaki/Awakino Gorge. And coming back, via Opotiki/Waioeka Gorge!

Some of our number had to head back to Wgtn from here, but six of us carried on and did the Longbush/Gladstone road, then up the Kourau Dam hill road (where they hold the hillclimb champs), through Wainuioru to Masterton, where we gassed up.

From there several went back home, three of us did some more back roads to Martinborough. Such good weather - fine, warm, and virtually calm.

Hamish and I decided a late lunch was in order, so we went back to "The Fish". MarkNZ and a couple of others turned up shortly thereafter, so another hour was spent chatting about bikes. Ain't life tough??

Hamish and I (the remaining two of the morning's ride) then headed back to the top of the hill, and spent 45 minutes there milling around chatting with the numerous bikers. Jimbo turned up, and he and MarkNZ headed away for a bit of a ride.

Hamish and I headed back home, it had been a very good day.

BungBung: thanks for the photos. The one on the left is taken at Mobil Masterton. From left: Scott (750 Sport); Hamish (GS1200SS), Marcus (Speed Triple); me (showing off my chest/KB t-shirt); and Neil (Harley).

Photo on the right is outside the Flying Fish at Martinborough (the first time!), featuring CSL's 250RS in front.

Maybe, you missed a great ride, hope you can join us some other time (I'll post here on a Friday night if the weather is looking good for Sunday).

All in all it was a good weekend, almost another 1,000kms clocked up on the Monster (we'd done a day trip to Hawera on Saturday).

Lynda

Ms Piggy
10th May 2004, 07:35
Isn't being mad a prerequisite for being a motorcyclist? :wacko:
And I'd wondered what the pong was yesterday at the Fish - must have been all those bloody sparrows!!

Or maybe it was a squashed Pukeko! "Get out of my way bird!" :crazy:

Marcus
10th May 2004, 09:09
:niceone:
The great thing about these Sunday rides - besides the company - is the "ride at your own pace". No-one's a racer but you can open it up if you want.
Yesterday was excellent, the weather and roads were perfect. Almost felt like summer. Really impressed with Robbie's MHR Ducati and also impressed with the way FXDX Harley's go round corners!
Thanks Lynda (pack leader and camp mother) and Hamish (tail-end charlie)
Marcus