PDA

View Full Version : what happened to 2-strokes?

750Y
8th May 2006, 20:04
I notice mostly only small bikes are made in 2-stroke now. & cars are mostly all 4 stroke, but the direct injection 2 strokes especially the marine engine ones seem pretty good & make lower emissions,more torque,less weight, use low amounts of oil & have less or equivalent noise & have less moving parts so lower maintenance than their equivalent 4 stroke cousins.
was it just the 'oil crisis scare' & environmental lobbying that did it?
anyone have any good insight? especially why there seems to be less development on the 2 stroke bike front.

Hitcher
8th May 2006, 20:22
What happened to two-strokes?

Meiosis. Meiosis and evolution. Cast your mind back to fifth-form biology. Once they reached puberty it was only going to be a matter of time. Where did you think four-strokes came from?

James Deuce
8th May 2006, 20:23
Non-direct injection two-strokes can't meet late '80s California emissions regulations, let alone modern European standards.

750Y
8th May 2006, 21:40
Non-direct injection two-strokes can't meet late '80s California emissions regulations, let alone modern European standards.

yeah kinda wondered why with modern injection technology they didn't get back into development, i guess only some did.

as for the cell division analogy thats far too above my intellect to comprehend. while the geeks were dissecting frogs, i was exploring applied 5th form biology. no wonder i can't hrdly spell & my diction is crap,

Ixion
8th May 2006, 21:42
What happened to two-strokes?

Meiosis. Meiosis and evolution. Cast your mind back to fifth-form biology. Once they reached puberty it was only going to be a matter of time. Where did you think four-strokes came from?

So why are there no 8 strokes ? And does this mean that all bikes are evolved from the famous one stroke Spragthorpe ?

Motu
8th May 2006, 22:19
One word - Kalifornia....