PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Charging Problems - 1999 Yamaha R6

R6_kid
9th May 2006, 11:21
Hi all,

Last week the R6 mysteriously started giving me shit all power from the battery, eventually it completely died (wouldnt run the fuel pump, and probably not enough juice to run charge the coils either) so parked it up and had to get picked up. Replaced the battery with a new one, had been going fine until today.

The gauges started going awol (electrical), and when i parked up at uni and tried to fire it up, there was no juice coming from battery.

When i left i disconnected the headlight (always on type) and crash started it. I've since rode 20km and it hasnt put much back into the battery.

Im suspecting that something is going on with the stator/ or reg-rec. I'm going to book it in to get serviced so will have them look over it when i take it in. But in the meantime is someone able to take a look and maybe help me diagnose it?

klyong82
18th May 2006, 21:33
Does sound like reg-rec issue. If you have a multi-meter and would like to do some diagnosis then have a read on this site
http://community.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx

Might be helpful to ascertain which component is faulty rather than pay someone else to do it for you.
I know for the CBR's if you continue to ride your bike with a faulty reg-rec then there is a chance you might blow the electrics.. globes, speedmeter, cook the battery and etc etc.
Anyway all the best.

Gremlin
18th May 2006, 23:25
You need to stop "fixing" it like you currently do... :laugh:

Oh, and why people shouldn't buy R6's... aka aRseSex

Hoon
18th May 2006, 23:40
First you need to test your charging circuit. Put a multimeter across your battery and start the bike. Should show around 14.5-15.5v (check your manual). If not it could be your alternator or regulator. To check your alternator pull the connector off and put the multimeter across it. Should show about 20-40VAC (check your manual) and increase with revs.
To check the reg/rectifier is bike specific. Your workshop manual should have a procedure for it.

Basically get a workshop manual and it'll tell you how to troubleshoot but you'll need a multimeter. Get a $20 cheapy from Dick Smiths/Mitre10/Repco/Supercheap.

R6_kid
26th May 2006, 20:31
cheers hoon. Got the workshop manual out and checked everthing out via the trouble shooting flow chart. Took it into the shop with the readings, they whipped the tank off and within 2mins he had determined that one of the coils in the stator is fucked for some reason.

So now its 1week no bike... but its getting general service at the same time including the valve clearances so i might end up finding that 8hp that disappeared misteriously.

White trash
26th May 2006, 20:59
Shoulda bought a Suzuki, like every other proper motorcyclist knows.

R6_kid
27th May 2006, 13:33
i did, one kept throwing chains, and when i stopped it from throwing the drive chain it threw the cam chain and fucked itself.

The other one was a rolling smoke machine and it wasnt a two stroker. Apparently thats been sorted now though.

Looks like i just bought another yamaha anyway.