PDA

View Full Version : Change of name

merv
29th March 2003, 09:25
Now here was an odd thing, I loaded up Kiwibiker a few minutes ago and was greeted with "Hello, wkid_one" instead of the usual "Hello, Merv" and then when I clicked for the new forum entries it said it couldn't find any so to get in here I had to click on the main forums entry link. Any clues as to why it did this?

SpankMe
29th March 2003, 15:08
Strange :confused: Let us know if it continues to happen.

merv
30th March 2003, 15:32
Whatever it has fixed itself today and I was greeted by my own name.

bikerboy
30th March 2003, 23:28
That's happened to me intermittently three or four times this past month.

Very strange?

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 14:28
Strange, coz for 4 weeks I was Merv...........maybe an X Files thing - do we have any members called Moulder or Scully?

SPman
31st March 2003, 15:46
Hey! I was Merv a couple of times - just b4 the comp shit itself!.....wierd.......or maybe not!:brick:

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 16:23
I just thought I'd developed a third personality?  or is that a fourth?

merv
31st March 2003, 19:04
Just logged in again now at about 7pm and I was greeted as Wkid_one again. Well at least we both ride Hondas.

If Wkid-one has been Merv for 4 weeks that was strange as I didn't join until only 2 weeks ago. That is X-files stuff or there is another Merv lurking somewhere.

SpankMe
31st March 2003, 19:14
Does it say your correct name under online users when the Hello name is incorrect?

merv
31st March 2003, 19:32
On the home page when I log in it doesn't list my name as an on-line user at all. However when I go to other pages like entering a message here it knows who I am because the posting of messages works under my name.

Occasionally though it does get it right, that is the strange part as per the message a few back when I said I logged in and it knew it was me on the homepage.

I hope you can iron the bugs out. Why I am always Wkid_one I don't know unless that has just been coincidental that we are browsing at the same time, but I have only ever been him or myself.

SpankMe
31st March 2003, 19:37
Next time try doing a [ctrl]-[f5] from IE to see if it still comes back with the incorrect name.

merv
2nd April 2003, 20:12
Hi Spank the CTRL-F5 thing didn't work and tonight just for a change I have come up as MacD.

SpankMe
2nd April 2003, 20:31
This is not going to be an easy problem to fix since I can't reproduce it :(

Next time click straight thru to the forums and check the name next to "Welcome back" to see if that is also incorrect or not. Trying to track down where the problem is occurring.

wkid_one
2nd April 2003, 20:57
I am now McD

merv
3rd April 2003, 08:17
I guess it isn't a big problem to us because it is only the home page where the problem is. Its just the first time I noticed it is when I started this thread. On the other page it does welcome me back correctly and my posts go under the right name. I wasn't sure what other gremlins this might be hiding so figured it would be worth fixing if you can.

SPman
8th April 2003, 18:23
Just before it all went belly up, I was logged on as wkid_one! - oh well, made a change from Merv.

Was this perhaps, part of the dementia the site had, before it all went blehhh!

750Y
15th April 2003, 18:09
maybe an X Files thing - do we have any members called Moulder or Scully?

no but i bet we have a muller and sculler.

merv
15th April 2003, 19:11
I thought when the site was down Spank might of fixed this but tonight I sign in and I'm Doug Green.

Earlier in the week I was just plain old Visitor and I kept signing in but it made no difference. Hey at least we have fun being someone else occasionally, only wish the bikes would all turn up in the garage to try at the same time.

750Y
15th April 2003, 19:49
only wish the bikes would all turn up in the garage to try at the same time.

i wouldn't mind the vfr turning up in my garage. always had a soft spot for those. hard to beat for allroundedness but then Honda often are.

Skunk
16th April 2003, 11:39
I signed in as Wkid_one!:p

I hate riding out of Wellington already :rolleyes:

Give me Aucklands motorways!!! :eek:

SPman
16th April 2003, 13:04
OK Merv, you cant be Doug Green because I've been Doug Green for the last 2 days!:argh: 

Dont know what Viv thinks of all this.....I wonder who Doug has been??

And now I'm thinking of all those good riding roads in the Wairarapa:confused:

merv
17th April 2003, 01:25
Today I'm myself - at least for now anyway.

I wouldn't mind being John Kocinski - I see on another site he is selling his Beverly Hills house for about $8.5M US and buying one in Bel Air to replace it. Then once I took up residence at his house I would want to be me again because he doesn't have a good reputation as a person. Either that or I would sell his house and what do you reckon I could get something pretty decent in Porirua for that with garage space and bikes to spare.

750Y
17th April 2003, 04:47
Merv, You could be heading for Mungavin heights with that kind of moolah. or even perhaps a a place on the hill in Elsdon where I grew up.

merv
17th April 2003, 08:16
Well dammit I'm not John Kocinski after all. Tonight I'm Boris, Ive never been him before.

SPman
17th April 2003, 10:01
Thats spooky...now Im Boris as well and the time is 2 hrs ahead of real time......................do we actually connect to this site through some strange space/time continuim? instead of telecom wires!

No, wait, its the same thing!:beer:

MacD
21st April 2003, 15:20
I've been both Merv and Swifty in the past day or so. Forcing a page refresh (ctrl-refresh) seems to fix things for me. It might be the ISPs transparent proxy server causing problems? I'm connected through Paradise if that's of any help.