PDA

View Full Version : Updating the ZXR

Mattzxr750
10th May 2006, 14:55
the project: to modernize the tail of my zxr. By removing the rear seat, indercaters, tail light and number plate light (all replaced by custom homemade led's) all mounded into a new 1 piece fibreglass rear with undertail and hugger

The Plan: remove rear,
make fibreglass mold,
making foem moke up from mold
adjust moke up and make 2nd mold
make fibreglass tail
mount LED lights

Parts Need: a shit load of LED lights red yellow and white
a lot of fibreglass
fome in a can
something to make the rear seat replacement for the mold
a hole heep of stuff i cant think of right now

Other Info: any input that can help

Why: because i can and i like having things that do not match the rest of the pack:crazy:

32053 32054 32055

sAsLEX
10th May 2006, 15:22
for ( ; ; )
{
foem = foam
fome = foam
}

and keep us updated on how it goes, here is a brake light cicuit for LEDs that I whipped up http://saslex.orcon.net.nz/LED_DRIVE.JPG

Mattzxr750
10th May 2006, 15:24
for ( ; ; )
{
foem = foam
fome = foam

sorry about the spelling my england not good lol

degrom
4th July 2006, 12:07
Hi.

You can get the Led's and electronic parts for cheap at...
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/

30c a led!!!

I hope this helped!!!

rustys
4th July 2006, 17:37
Hi Mattzxr750. Rear led system is what i'am going for on my new yamaha yzf 600. In the way of Intergrated tail, brake and blinkers combined. Went to the testing station to see what problems i would have before i imported, and they said no problems at all, awsome way to go to keep a nice look to the bike.:cool:
Try..www.vfxkits.com

98tls
5th July 2006, 23:12
i had an intergrated tailight/indicators set up on my TL,one thing i did notice was that the indicators were not that bright and pretty hard to see,i replaced it all with an extreme graphics undertray with leds etc..interesting that the testing station told you no worrys as my local bike shop doesnt want a bar of giving me a warrant..they say that the tailight light lens has to have certain numbers etc/load of crap but they are adament about it so i have to get my warrants elsewhere.

Gremlin
6th July 2006, 00:12
backing up 98tls, I was under the impression that integrateds were a grey area, in terms of each place saying different things... meh, I have my place, and they are happy enough.

The one issue I have with it, is when braking, the red remains on, in the same area, so often it washes out the indicator. Saw it first hand when following my bike on a mates.

When just indicating (no braking), mine cancels out the red when the orange is on, so its nice and visible. Comparing the integrated indicator with the crappy ones that broke (and why I replaced) the integrated is more visible, larger, brighter and on the whole, safer I thought - hence why I went with the integrated (and I do like it :yes: )

rustys
6th July 2006, 19:11
Hey guys, good feedback. The intergrated i'am looking at for the r6/r1 have 54 ultra bright red LEDs and 44 ultra bright amber, far more than the normal stock board,so can't see why these should not be reasonably visable,would'nt be any worse than some of these bloody small after market
indicaters we have on now.
Try this site see what you recon..www.tobefast.com
Don't want that uggly stalk,number/plate/blinker unit hanging of the back of my new r6.may be should post a thread to see what others come up with?

98tls
6th July 2006, 19:23
for whatits worth do a search for clear alternatives they have a website with led boards/lights etc,might be worth a look...i got mine through them and service was great.

98tls
6th July 2006, 19:27
as an afterthought i bought an extreme graphic undertray with led etc..they included there latest brochure with it..theres a real tasty undertray with lights in there for an r6..if you want i can send it to you.

imdying
7th July 2006, 09:58
as an afterthought i bought an extreme graphic undertray with led etc..they included there latest brochure with it..theres a real tasty undertray with lights in there for an r6..if you want i can send it to you.If it's anywhere as nice as the tray on your TL, it's definitely worth a look!

98tls
7th July 2006, 17:19
Bit of blantant undertray whoring...

imdying
7th July 2006, 17:42
And now that you've painted it, such lovely whoring indeed!

Mattzxr750
1st January 2008, 22:46
Well, I thought I would reopen this old thread and share with all the other kids what Ive been up to.

When I first started this thread it was to completely re-do the rear end of my bike, but after alot of thinking and a little planning. I came up with a different idea. Looking around at all the other bikes on the road im still to find one of the same model and colour, with this in mind I have desided just to update the undertail of my bike. With this in mind I removed the tail piece that held on the number plate and indercators, replacing it with a temp. setup (that was about a year ago)

It also held on the new air horns and numberplate light. Now that I have got some spare time, I have started to finish what I started. So with the help of my superviser, I started shaping the plastic for the main shape. After cutting it cut and checking that it fitted. I made some small adjustments and was happy.

Then using some off cuts I put a small lip around the old side so that the fairings would hold it in and stop it from falling out. Now that its fitted into place I have started working on the indent for the back wheel, so that I dont smash it to piece when I go over a bump. But well doing this I notist that the back wheel is off set to the left buy about 10mm, which puzzled me at first. Now looking at it, it must be like that for a reason.

That bring the mod upto date, still alot to do like:
Mount Number plate light
Mount Indercators
Number Plate
Indent for Back wheel
Fit the horn

And I lot of things I still cant think of yet... Ill do another update when its done.

Mattzxr750
1st January 2008, 22:56
Just a cuple more pics

skidMark
2nd January 2008, 02:30
i cant post attachments due to infractions.....but view my other attachments by clicking my name above and choose attachments....

theres pic of my bike there...

i put a honda nsr tail on my zxr 250.

imdying
2nd January 2008, 11:17
Your tyre is going to hit that :no:

Mattzxr750
2nd January 2008, 12:03
Your tyre is going to hit that :no:

It would have but Ive just cut out a hold so that when the tyre goes up and down it will have somewhere to go and not just hit the plastic.

imdying
2nd January 2008, 13:52
Excellent. I have a friend with a 93 model (exactly the same from what I can see of your pictures), and he has one like what you're making... and the factory hugger hits it, which is cracking the fairing.

He's asked if I'll make a new 'boot space' come undertray all in one out of carbon for him. Just in the middle of making a similar thing for my underseat exhaust on my SV, but I said I'd teach him how it was done.

If I end up making one for him, or helping him with one, I'll post up pics :yes:

Here's the buck:

Mattzxr750
2nd January 2008, 14:02
If the Plastic one turns out okay, Ill look at making it into fiber glass

98tls
2nd January 2008, 14:14
Looking good,i admire you doing it yourself,i took the lazy way out.:oi-grr:

imdying
2nd January 2008, 14:16
Fully recommend it mate, fibreglass is a doddle to work with... easy to sand, easy to lay down, and easy to get the finish right on. Something simple like that, might be a nice mold to use for you first carbon piece... coz you can use the same mold ;)

Hopefully Eurodave will pop his head in, he's a pro at this sorta stuff inlike a hack like me :D In fact, hopefully I can tempt him a few beers to come round and give me few pointers before I make that heatshield from carbon... :whistle:

Mattzxr750
2nd January 2008, 22:35

I just hope that its all not just a wasit of time and that it turns out ok

skidMark
2nd January 2008, 22:43
yeah i scored a race nsr tail (full fibreglass instead of stock 3 piece)

slapped it on..pretty lol

Mattzxr750
3rd January 2008, 13:25
yeah i scored a race nsr tail (full fibreglass instead of stock 3 piece)

slapped it on..pretty lol

I thought of doing something like that but I want to keep it looking some what stock

imdying
5th January 2008, 15:45
How are you getting on brother? Me, I'm ready to lay the gelcoat for my mould :yes:

Mattzxr750
7th January 2008, 11:45
Slowly but getting there, have got the wheel arch done and now working on the number plate light (yellow tape holding well the glue drys)

imdying
7th January 2008, 12:33
Good good! Body filler up all those square edges, take a splash mold (basic mold for getting a shaped part), make yourself a basic fibreglass part, shape that sucker up, spray putty it smooth as a babies bum, then make a final mold :yes:

Then you can pop out fibreglass/carbon fibre parts all day long :first:

vifferman
7th January 2008, 12:42
But well doing this I notist that the back wheel is off set to the left buy about 10mm, which puzzled me at first. Now looking at it, it must be like that for a reason.
Yeah, because it's borkt.
The reason may be the spacers are around the wrong way, or something is out of whack.

blue eyed savage
22nd March 2008, 11:52
hows the bike looking now?

Mattzxr750
21st August 2010, 22:40
hows the bike looking now?

the bike is now parked up leaking old with a bung engine...

however sitting next to it is a '05 zx10r :yes: