PDA

View Full Version : Chain tightening help

Tickler
10th May 2006, 16:09
I was lubing my chain today and having read posts on here, i looked and decided to tighten my chain.

Im not an expert with tools but i knew this would be well within my abilities. Anyway..

went to checks the alignment screws on the back edge of the swingarm and one of the plates was missing (two nuts too). The other side of the wheel was still there(plate and nuts).

Now my question is, is this vital? My idea was to just get a piece of metal roughly the same size as the original plate, drill a hole through it and replace with two new nuts. My theory being that these bolts dont actually hold the wheel (safety issue) in place but just act to guide the axle forward/back to the correct tension until you tighten the axle bolts.

Any help would be much appreciated.:shutup:

XTC
10th May 2006, 18:44
Yeah that'll work but you may be able to find the correct part used from a wrecker. Also price a new one - probably not too bad.

Colapop
10th May 2006, 20:42
DON'T ASK Liam_NZ!!!!!

VasalineWarrior
10th May 2006, 20:57
You can do it by eye, but you id suggest you get a new bit for it as soon as you can.
Take off the chain guard so as you can see down the length of the chain to the front sprocket, then loosen the axel nut as per usual if you were tightening the chain. Sit at the back of the rear tire and pull it towards you (helps if the bike is standing upright, this is best attempted with 2 people). This will tighten the chain. Pull back to adjust the tension as necessary, but make sure you look down the length of the chain and make sure it is in a straight line, all nice and aligned with the front and rear sproket before you tighten the adjustment screws. Sit on the bike after doing it all up and make sure you have at least a few centimeters free play. So long as the chain is in a straight line, there shouldnt be any problem. :msn-wink:

Tickler
10th May 2006, 21:18
Sweet as, thanks for the replies. Ill try find a new part or find costs for someone to make one up. Should be all good. Thanks again