PDA

View Full Version : Kaikoura Coast 80kmh limit

Kickaha
10th May 2006, 20:27
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/marlboroughexpress/0,2106,3663725a6523,00.html

I like this bit

"The Transit board's approval for this 80kmh speed zone is a significant step to improving the safety of State Highway 1 in the Kaikoura area," he said.

The move would mainly slow traffic to stop drivers going into the highway's tight bends too fast, he said.

:lol: yeah right

Smokin
10th May 2006, 20:34
honestly this country is going to the dogs.

mdb
10th May 2006, 20:39
Bugger! They did that to the Paekakariki Hill road too :-(

paturoa
10th May 2006, 20:41
This one got me....

However, the announcement was also met with a level of scepticism from some emergency services and those involved in the road transport industry.

Most believed because the problem occurred at bends which could only be negotiated at between 25 kmh and 75 kmh, changing the limit would be ineffective because the traffic was unable to travel at 100kmh anyway.

Sounds as daft as the F1 engine restriction. Basicaly their theory goes that the F1 cars will go slower so less damage in a prang. What they forgot to think about was almost all F1 prangs occur going around corners at nowhere near the top speed.

Not sure how a 80k limit effects 75k corners.

wendigo
10th May 2006, 20:50
Wankers...

Still, at least there seems to be some sanity, with most people agreeing that this is a fairly illogical bit of legislation. With a bit of luck, the transit board may be questioned about their reasoning and bought to account.

Yeah right.

Skyryder
10th May 2006, 20:55
I think someones had their fingers in the till and they are trying to make up the deficit.

Yep saw this in the paper the other day. There's gonna be more of this sort of thing.

Land transport Act 1998

157.Rules concerning roads—

Without limiting the general power to make rules under section 152, ordinary rules may—

(a)Regulate the use of roads, and empower road controlling authorities to control, restrict, and prohibit traffic, and to close roads in specified circumstances or on specified occasions, in accordance with the rules:

(b)Set out standards, specifications, or codes of practice for the design, construction, alteration, or maintenance of roads and related property:

(c)Provide for the classification of roads according to their suitability for use by different classes of motor vehicles:

(d)Set, or provide for the setting of, speed limits (including maximum, minimum, variable, and temporary speed limits) for roads throughout New Zealand or in a particular locality, which speed limits may vary according to vehicle classes, types of roads, locality, and time of year:

(e)Empower road controlling authorities to set speed limits referred to in paragraph (d) for roads within their jurisdiction, and—

(i)Set out criteria, requirements, and procedures to be complied with by road controlling authorities when setting speed limits:

(ii)Authorise the Director to change, or modify the application of, a speed limit that does not comply with the prescribed criteria, requirements, or procedures:

They've got all bases covered.

When the kitty gets low slow down the flow. :angry:

Skyryder

jimbo600
10th May 2006, 21:22
National speed limit is being reduced to 80kmh in a covert fashion. Bit by bit all the road speeds are coming down. Greys rd, Paekakariki, Paramata rd, Kaikoura coast to name but a few. Typical BS reaction to inevitable road accidents. I wish all the people involved in the speed limit reduction would fuck off and replace them with a bunch of people who are interested in raising the standard of driving instead.

miSTa
10th May 2006, 21:28
Just another example of the ambulance being at the bottom of the cliff...

digsaw
10th May 2006, 21:41
Yep,even the Coromandel coast road will be 80k soon,seems like we all goin ta live in da loony bin soon.:gob:

XP@
10th May 2006, 21:52
Bugger! They did that to the Paekakariki Hill road too :-(
If you look closely enough you will see we have 70 not 80 on the interesting parts of the road!

Big Dave
10th May 2006, 22:34
Add Karangahake Gorge too

(did i spell that right?)

Highlander
10th May 2006, 22:51
Any one else remeber a time when the open road limit was 80 Km/h.

Those who do probably remember a song about history never repeating....

Highlander
10th May 2006, 22:53
Any one else remember a time when the open road limit was 80 Km/h.

dangerous
11th May 2006, 06:18
National speed limit is being reduced to 80kmh in a covert fashion. Bit by bit all the road speeds are coming down. Greys rd, Paekakariki, Paramata rd, Kaikoura coast to name but a few. Typical BS reaction to inevitable road accidents. I wish all the people involved in the speed limit reduction would fuck off and replace them with a bunch of people who are interested in raising the standard of driving instead.
Bloody oth man, and it will happen.
Now the Kaikoura coast is mainly plaged with trucks crashing and idiot vistors from over seas.
Re: trucks, they will not slow down and the cops will not pull them (I know cos I used to drive a over sized rig 4 x a week on that road) It goes back to the trucking Co's putting the pressure on the drivers and fuck wit drivers like Gus from Andrew Drinnan transport that just don't give a rats arse :blip:

Visitors to NZ: from what I have see they are the most common cause of acco's (A) they come of the ferry and are not used to such tight and windy rd's (B) they forget what side of the bloody rd to drive, and can't handle the size of the camper vans that are available theses days.
I have knowen people (like a dead mate) that have had head ons either on bends or straights and it was due to asains etc... so WTF will reducing the speed limit do fuck all :angry:

Lou Girardin
11th May 2006, 08:19

I remember it well. But enforcement was a lot more reasonable so the de facto limit was 100.
LTNZ have pushed several times for a national 80 or 90 limit and have been rejected. This is their way of getting it in the back door via Transhit.
I'd prefer it if they just concentrated on each others back doors.

Paul in NZ
11th May 2006, 09:19
Bloody wonderful...

Its a bad bit of road though.. Last time I was down that way on the bike it was wet and it was very slippery due to the crud from the trucks, salt spray and a generally poor surface.

About time these arses provided some decent roads i say rather than just ruining what we have and then lowering the speed limit so a couple of local wankers can make sure potential customers slow down enough to see their advertising...

Paul in NZ
11th May 2006, 09:20

This post repeated itself - spooky!

Hitcher
11th May 2006, 20:17
How long before the Rimutakas is speed restricted? Bastards.

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 20:22
The Martinborough to Gladstone, Gladstone to Ngamu roads are slated for 80 km/hr speed limits in the next 18 months.

Most of the "B" roads will be 80 km/hr before the main highways get dropped.

It's looking pretty compulsory to move to Australia as soon as possible. Even Victoria would seem positively liberal compared to NZ.

TonyB
11th May 2006, 20:22
I reckon it'll happen to the Akaroa highway from Little River on soon.

Hitcher
11th May 2006, 20:28
The Martinborough to Gladstone, Gladstone to Ngamu roads are slated for 80 km/hr speed limits in the next 18 months.

Noooooo!!! Tell me it's not true. It's an evil dream and I'll wake up soon. Somebody hit me. Andy Knackstead in a tutu. Gahhhh!! Nooooo!! Hit me again, harder this time...

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 20:32
South Wairarapa and Carterton Councils have been "talking" about it in the Wairarapa Times Age over the last 12 months. Masterton's Council are looking at the Gladstone to Ngamu (The Water Tower Rd for those that know it) road largely because of the 6 deaths in two years at "that" corner, 4 of them motorcyclists.

A "decent" ride is soon going to involve a trip to Taranaki or Hawke's Bay.

TonyB
11th May 2006, 20:37
A "decent" ride is soon going to involve a trip to Taranaki or Hawke's Bay.
Or a race day.
I can see sales of dualpurpose bikes going up. Mind you, if your already speeding, does 20 more k over really matter? It won't to some.

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 20:39
It just about makes me cry to think that I could be walking home at 121 km/hr. A quick overtake, and boom, you're walking.

I bet you trucks will still travel at 100-110 on the flat bits.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:30
I remember it well. But enforcement was a lot more reasonable so the de facto limit was 100.

Except I got booked for doing 99 in my Hillman Hunter at Chertsey in '76 - pigs!!

Highlander
11th May 2006, 22:38
99 in a grunta? :gob:
Must have been a good day, down hill AND a tail wind!

Big Dave
11th May 2006, 22:40
Or a race day.
I can see sales of dualpurpose bikes going up.

Bingo! I've been telling you for ages that unless you do track days, litre sports bikes are dinosaurs. headed for extinction at least.
100kph seems really fast on the dirt and there are far call plods patrolling the single tracks.
See ya out there.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:43
99 in a grunta? :gob:
Must have been a good day, down hill AND a tail wind!

Nah that was km/hr by the pig on a near enough flat road as the Canterbury Plains are, the car had a mph speedo and it would show max about 94mph if you wound it out in top, 75mph in 3rd.

Funny thing with that car was the speedo needle would waver badly which is not something speedos seem to do these days.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:45
Bingo! I've been telling you for ages that unless you do track days, litre sports bikes are dinosaurs. headed for extinction at least.
100kph seems really fast on the dirt and there are far call plods patrolling the single tracks.
See ya out there.

Sure that's why 4 out of 5 of our bikes are road registered dirt bikes and I can't see any point upgrading from the VFR for road only.

Big Dave
11th May 2006, 22:45
Funny thing

OT - but make sure you get a Kiwi Rider Merv - slap bang in the middle of the Cap coast report crowd shot you are.

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 22:46
How could you see him? Was everyone else kneeling or something?

merv
11th May 2006, 22:47
OT - but make sure you get a Kiwi Rider Merv - slap bang in the middle of the Cap coast report crowd shot you are.

No worries. Remember I've been a subscriber since before many of the people here were born.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:49
Hey Jim must be time you got a dirt bike too!!

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 22:50
Shhh - she might see that and then I'll be wearing the frying pan dent for a hat.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:53
Big Dave you see this on ADVRider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136498? No worries about 80km/hr limits on that trip.

Some of the guys are my regular weekly lunch crew - caught up with them today except 4skins never showed today. Missed the ride last weekend myself been too busy after just getting back from 2 week hols.

T.W.R
11th May 2006, 23:01
Except I got booked for doing 99 in my Hillman Hunter at Chertsey in '76 - pigs!!

Ha nothings changed, its still their favourite hunting ground :yes: mid arvo & mid evening their always snooping around. One Chic in particular is about as popular as the mumps, locally known as the 'black widow':angry:

Big Dave
11th May 2006, 23:05
Big Dave you see this on ADVRider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136498? No worries about 80km/hr limits on that trip.

Some of the guys are my regular weekly lunch crew - caught up with them today except 4skins never showed today. Missed the ride last weekend myself been too busy after just getting back from 2 week hols.

yes - i have been following

I've been burning around doing this sort of stuff last few days - 80kph was about right. Just give it a squirt to rark up on exiting the corners.

4 skins sent me a very nice note about the coverage of the capital coast too.
all good.

Jantar
11th May 2006, 23:06
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/marlboroughexpress/0,2106,3663725a6523,00.html

I like this bit

"The Transit board's approval for this 80kmh speed zone is a significant step to improving the safety of State Highway 1 in the Kaikoura area," he said.

The move would mainly slow traffic to stop drivers going into the highway's tight bends too fast, he said.

:lol: yeah right

All the more reason to take the inland route. :ride: :ride: :ride:

James Deuce
11th May 2006, 23:11
Jantar, shhh!!

Remember, "I seee nuthink!"

That way they won't drop the speed on the inland route.

Skyryder
12th May 2006, 18:48
It just about makes me cry to think that I could be walking home at 121 km/hr. A quick overtake, and boom, you're walking.

And watch the increase with the instant loss of licence as a result of lowering the speed limit to 80K's. I've been trying to say that this should be the number one concern of the biking community but no one is listening.

Am I alone on this???

Skyryder

scumdog
12th May 2006, 22:40
And watch the increase with the instant loss of licence as a result of lowering the speed limit to 80K's. I've been trying to say that this should be the number one concern of the biking community but no one is listening.

Am I alone on this???

Skyryder

Nah, don't worry - there's not enough cops out there to get ALL of you - AND its only the unlucky ones that get caught, and besides, any KBer worth their salt can do a runner from the pigs anytime anyway....