PDA

View Full Version : The Best ride I've ever had.

Stevo
11th May 2006, 01:28
The Best ride I've ever had.
On Monday I left Chch heading for the Arthurs' Pass, then headed to Hokitika, on down the West Coast past the glaciers through Haast, on past Wanaka, Queenstown and down to Southland. Was a chilly kind of a day but a thousand kms in just over 10 and a half hours of mostly West Coast roads I was beeming and still am. :yes: :yes: :scooter:

Had a sore bum as to be expected, But if you ever wonder about travelling the South Island West Coast, Just do it.
:rockon:

OMG
11th May 2006, 04:29
Have to agree, those are awesome roads. Have only done it once (and that was in a cage), but one of these days will get me and my bike down there.

slimjim
11th May 2006, 08:28
:yes: :scooter: yup me heading down that way for a six week tour in nov:scooter: so going back over roads that i did on my rd350:gob: in 1976,and back then yup petrol was 38 cents a gallon, yee god's ,roads were part gravel too,, how times have changed:second: :nya: :sunny:

skelstar
11th May 2006, 08:46
Awesome. Did most of that in Jan. The bit between Haast and Wanaka is awesome, but the stretch between Fox and Franz would def be the best I think.

Crown Range?

Harry33
11th May 2006, 09:02
Crown Range...Holy hell..I was down in Queenstown a couple of weeks ago for a three day hoilday (was suppose to be four days but the airport was flooded). I had a rental car and was talking to a guy about maybe heading up to Wanaka, told me on the way back I should go through the Crown Range. To cut a long story short I took a turn off and went the Crown Range on the way. Scary shit but I think it would be cool on a bike.

Stevo
11th May 2006, 09:04
Awesome. Did most of that in Jan. The bit between Haast and Wanaka is awesome, but the stretch between Fox and Franz would def be the best I think.

Crown Range?
Unfortunately no. I had no map and it was getting dark so I missed it. Save it for next time :killingme

Stevo
11th May 2006, 09:08
:yes: :scooter: yup me heading down that way for a six week tour in nov:scooter: so going back over roads that i did on my rd350:gob: in 1976,and back then yup petrol was 38 cents a gallon, yee god's ,roads were part gravel too,, how times have changed:second: :nya: :sunny:
I reckon. No gravel now. I wanted to do the trip before the roads get laden with grit. But averaged about 100km/h for the trip cos the 10hrs 40 min incl stops for fuel. Couldn't have done that on gravel. Such a blast and you can read the roads so well down there. Good signage, great roads = a Real Blast!:scooter:

Jantar
11th May 2006, 10:31
Crown Range...Holy hell..I was down in Queenstown a couple of weeks ago for a three day hoilday (was suppose to be four days but the airport was flooded). I had a rental car and was talking to a guy about maybe heading up to Wanaka, told me on the way back I should go through the Crown Range. To cut a long story short I took a turn off and went the Crown Range on the way. Scary shit but I think it would be cool on a bike.

The Crown Range loop must be one of the best rides in New Zealand. Where else can you get a twisty mountain road, ywo river valley gorge roads, and ultrasonic speed straights all in under 3 hours? :yes:

skelstar
11th May 2006, 10:36
Yeah, Im jealous. I liked passing all the Falcons and Commodores through the Kawerau River gorge. Hah...bet ya thought they would be good to tour in :).

HenryDorsetCase
11th May 2006, 13:49
I love that ride myself.

The crown range is obviously all sealed now, but still one of those "lets not fuck it up today" roads. the consequences of a cockup could be.... extreme.

ferretface
11th May 2006, 16:04
If thats the best ride you've ever had - you might wanna get yourself a new missus.

Hitcher
11th May 2006, 20:48
The Crown Range loop must be one of the best rides in New Zealand. Where else can you get a twisty mountain road, ywo river valley gorge roads, and ultrasonic speed straights all in under 3 hours?
Last time we were down, the HPs had the straight bits well staked out. The bastards!

Stevo
11th May 2006, 21:56
Last time we were down, the HPs had the straight bits well staked out. The bastards!
Sometimes. Thought I was pretty safe between Hokitika and Haast esp as I got closer to the glaciers. The only mobile chicanes down that way are locals or campers pretty much. Makes for easy passing:innocent:

Sniper
11th May 2006, 22:00
Good to hear it was a good ride Stevo. Bit cold at 4 when you left the other morning though

Edbear
11th May 2006, 22:05
Ya big tease!!! And on a F4, too! (I know, but I really like the F4, it's my favourite Honda).No wonder you reckon it wuz the best ride! I've been wanting to get down and do the same since I got back on a bike!:scooter:

feral1
11th May 2006, 22:06
Stevo, and others

Next time you are passing through Hokitika, let us know. might ride some way along down into South Westland.

I also ride regulary down to southland (Edendale) through FJ , Fox, Haast, Wanaka - Qtown - devils staircase

Feral

merv
11th May 2006, 22:15
in 1976,and back then yup petrol was 38 cents a gallon:nya: :sunny:

You must have been in a different country because petrol passed $1 a gallon here in 1975. It was 49c a gallon in 1973 when the Gummint lowered it to 48c a gallon, then the '74 oil shock hit and it just started spiralling upwards after that.

Buddha#81
12th May 2006, 00:19
You must have been in a different country because petrol passed $1 a gallon here in 1975. It was 49c a gallon in 1973 when the Gummint lowered it to 48c a gallon, then the '74 oil shock hit and it just started spiralling upwards after that.

To remember that you must have stayed away from the drugs in the 1970's.

Korea
12th May 2006, 03:16
Jeeezus! You are, erm... experienced. :dodge:

dangerous
12th May 2006, 06:27
The Best ride I've ever had.
On Monday I left Chch heading for the Arthurs' Pass,
Tiz a sweet ride on a goog day aye, but gets bloody long and so easy to pump the speed up the further south ya go.
And yet again yo pass within 5m of my house and don't call in, hey was ya on your own or did the kawa travel with ya?

If thats the best ride you've ever had - you might wanna get yourself a new missus.
Nothing wrog with his missus mate, and as for the sexual conatation (thats a word isn't it?) a decently awesome ride one out of the hat beats a screw anyday :blip: (depending on company ofcourse)

Edbear
12th May 2006, 07:30

Yeah, can remember being cheesed off it now cost $6 to fill up my Bradford!

Stevo
12th May 2006, 08:34
Tiz a sweet ride on a goog day aye, but gets bloody long and so easy to pump the speed up the further south ya go.
And yet again yo pass within 5m of my house and don't call in, hey was ya on your own or did the kawa travel with ya?

You've never told me where you live so I didn't know sorry. A coffee mighta been good too. :sunny: Next time. There WILL be a next time. :rofl:

On my own so able to travel at my own pace all day, which went something like on the way to Arthurs' Pass not greater than 110 generally and not until past Hokitika did I really go above that, then got faster and faster as the day went on and got further South:doobey: Cruised around 120-130 :nono: :shutup: for most of the day once I was about an hour south of Hokitika. Was good to be able to ride the bike how it can be ridden for a change. I was n't riding silly or anything just enjoyin the good roads:shutup:

Stevo
12th May 2006, 08:37
Stevo, and others

Next time you are passing through Hokitika, let us know. might ride some way along down into South Westland.

I also ride regulary down to southland (Edendale) through FJ , Fox, Haast, Wanaka - Qtown - devils staircase

Feral
Ok now I am jealous. I don't love the West Coast on a rainy day but you certainly can't beat it on a good one. :yes: :scooter:

Yep I'm real jealous that you ride that all the time:yes: :rofl:

Big Dave
12th May 2006, 08:39
I don't rate the west coast road that highly. It's great but,

Te Anau to Milford, Queenstown to Glenorchy, Buller gorge, Queen Charlotte Drive, Takaka Hill, the one that goes past the Cardorona, Athurs pass all rate much higher with moi.

I'd had so much of my mates spanking on about the West coast before i got there - that the first time I rode it I was actually a bit dissapointed.

If it was anywhere else it would be primo - just that it is overshadowed by the above.

terbang
12th May 2006, 09:12
Yup have to agree with it being a good ride, prompts me to get down there again some time..

Stevo
13th May 2006, 21:32
I don't rate the west coast road that highly. It's great but,

Te Anau to Milford, Queenstown to Glenorchy, Buller gorge, Queen Charlotte Drive, Takaka Hill, the one that goes past the Cardorona, Athurs pass all rate much higher with moi.

I'd had so much of my mates spanking on about the West coast before i got there - that the first time I rode it I was actually a bit dissapointed.

If it was anywhere else it would be primo - just that it is overshadowed by the above.
The ride from Murchison to Westport is a great ride too, but........... The Queen Charlotte track???? Are you kidding me?
Besides I rode Arthurs' Pass the same day but it really wasn't the highlight. Anywhere on South Islands West Coast is not real bad in my opinion

Big Dave
14th May 2006, 00:44
but........... The Queen Charlotte track???? Are you kidding me?

I love that road. Removed the hero pegs on a Tiger on it.

And yes - it's all good - just discussion really.

Lou Girardin
14th May 2006, 07:33
Fanging on Queen Charlotte in tourist season is asking for a short life. Most of it's only 1 1/2 campervans wide.

Big Dave
14th May 2006, 09:25
It's OK - I believe what you keep telling me - speeding won't kill me.:bleh:

Jantar
14th May 2006, 09:53
Yeah, can remember being cheesed off it now cost $6 to fill up my Bradford!

For those here who don't remember the Bradford, its a 500cc two stroke.

merv
14th May 2006, 10:45
For those here who don't remember the Bradford, its a 500cc two stroke.

If you are talking about a Bradford van they were a 1,000 cc flat twin side valve four stroke as far as I remember.

Jantar
14th May 2006, 10:54
If you are talking about a Bradford van they were a 1,000 cc flat twin side valve four stroke as far as I remember. Some were modified with opel engines, but the one we owned was an original 500 cc Two stroke.

Karitane pete
14th May 2006, 11:09
If you are talking about a Bradford van they were a 1,000 cc flat twin side valve four stroke as far as I remember.
Yep, don't remember any two stroke one, have seen a CD Bradford nick named the "100MPH Bread van"
I ride my local loop Karitane to Dunback to Kyeburn to Hyde to Macraes back down the hill to Dunback and back home, fill and hour or two in on a nice afternoon :ride:
Frost grit will be coming on soon:headbang: so all those back roads will be stuffed untill the spring rains have washed then clear

scumdog
14th May 2006, 22:18

Topped up my 'lorry' at Oamaru last Friday night with 'Ultimate' - 31 litres, not too bad I thinks - then looked at the pump and saw it cost $66!!:doh:
I worked out that the fuel that cost me 38 cents a gallon in 1969 now costs me $8:30 a gallon now!!

But back on track - rode that road to the Woodstock Rally in January this year and it is MAGIC! only way to describe it!
The Jurassic Park sized dragonflies there are a bit of a hazard in the warm weather though!

Edbear
14th May 2006, 22:33
Some were modified with opel engines, but the one we owned was an original 500 cc Two stroke.

How long ago did you have one? Sorry to suggest your memory may be a bit hazy, but the Bradford, made by Jowett was always a flat twin side valve originally 850cc but upgraded to 950cc and about 8hp. My sister bought a '48 model and I bought the '50 model the owner had for spares and got it going. Mine had the better body and my sister's had the better engine and no, she wouldn't agree to an engine swap! Had a 3sp box and rod actuated brakes, though I'd hesitate to call them "brakes"...! But the handbrake operated on all four wheels. The motor had no water pump and relied upon thermo-siphoning for cooling. Mine was the "station wagon" version. Some very brave people put the Javelin flat four motor in them but they then became a death trap!:Offtopic:

BarBender
14th May 2006, 22:40
Awesome Steve.
10 and a half in the saddle! My kinda ride.

Cant wait to get down to the South Island early next year to do something similar. I wonder how many KBer's from the North Isalnd would be keen to go down for a ride around the South Island around Jan? Willl have my new bike by then...

thehollowmen
14th May 2006, 22:53
I was planning to do this in my mid-year break or nearer spring holidays with a budget of a hundred and fifty dollars.

good to know you enjoyed it.

Jantar
15th May 2006, 06:57
How long ago did you have one? Sorry to suggest your memory may be a bit hazy, but the Bradford, made by Jowett was always a flat twin side valve originally 850cc but upgraded to 950cc and about 8hp. My sister bought a '48 model and I bought the '50 model the owner had for spares and got it going. Mine had the better body and my sister's had the better engine and no, she wouldn't agree to an engine swap! Had a 3sp box and rod actuated brakes, though I'd hesitate to call them "brakes"...! But the handbrake operated on all four wheels. The motor had no water pump and relied upon thermo-siphoning for cooling. Mine was the "station wagon" version. Some very brave people put the Javelin flat four motor in them but they then became a death trap!:Offtopic:

My memory certainly could be hazy as I was only a kid when my dad bought a Bradford. From memory it was around 1945 model. I remember the engine type and size because our neighbour had a Scott Flying Squirell motorbike with the same 500 cc water cooled 2 stroke engine. Dad and our neighbour used to joke about stealing each other's engines.

Edbear
17th May 2006, 21:52
I know it's off topic, but in a starnge way I think it fits the thread title, but I'm posting a pic of me and the Bradford. Taken a long time ago, of course!

Stevo
18th May 2006, 17:55
Now I know what a bradford van looks like, all I can say is, it makes the 59 Morrie thou I used to drive look like a rocket ship! Occasionally when in said vehicle we would actually get to pass someone, which musta been pretty embarassing for them, as my mates would hang out all the windows yelling and waving their arms in a rather victorious fashion. Freakin hilarious!

scumdog
18th May 2006, 19:43
I know it's off topic, but in a starnge way I think it fits the thread title, but I'm posting a pic of me and the Bradford. Taken a long time ago, of course!
Last year was it? I think I rode past wen that picture was being taken.:laugh: :killingme

Edbear
18th May 2006, 20:24
Last year was it? I think I rode past wen that picture was being taken.:laugh: :killingme

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I wish! Where were you in '73? Photo was taken in Warkworth. The stickers on the windows were from the Pukekohe Benson and Hedges 500 which I attended that year.

scumdog
18th May 2006, 23:02
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I wish! Where were you in '73? Photo was taken in Warkworth. The stickers on the windows were from the Pukekohe Benson and Hedges 500 which I attended that year.

'73? Just having my first snog (and more) with C.B. in my near-new 3.3 Vauxhall Victor while listening to Don McLean and drinking Waitemata beer while she had a Bols blackcurrent gin....and worrying about how I could afford petrol at 50 cents a gallon (about 12 cents a litre).

My version of the 3.3SL won the Benson & Hedges in 1970.:headbang:

Edbear
19th May 2006, 08:58
'73? Just having my first snog (and more) with C.B. in my near-new 3.3 Vauxhall Victor while listening to Don McLean and drinking Waitemata beer while she had a Bols blackcurrent gin....and worrying about how I could afford petrol at 50 cents a gallon (about 12 cents a litre).

My version of the 3.3SL won the Benson & Hedges in 1970.:headbang:

Rich dude huh? Mutter, mutter! Lusted after the 3.3SL then saw the Ventora and wanted that even more! Whatsisnames Charger won the '73 after losing his rear brakes. Could see the front discs glowing all the way down the back straight. Probably had more fun in the old Bradford than any car since! Oh, hang on, the '59 CA Beddie sliding door and the '63 Commer van were a hoot, too! Them days, every drive was an adventure! :Punk:

dangerous
19th May 2006, 18:30
'73? Just having my first snog (and more) with C.B. in my near-new 3.3 Vauxhall Victor while listening to Don McLean and drinking Waitemata beer..............
Well not all your tast in transport is hiding in the dark somewere SD... 3.3 was a real grunt box, heres mine in the 80's sometime.

feral1
19th May 2006, 19:24
Yep, don't remember any two stroke one, have seen a CD Bradford nick named the "100MPH Bread van"
I ride my local loop Karitane to Dunback to Kyeburn to Hyde to Macraes back down the hill to Dunback and back home, fill and hour or two in on a nice afternoon :ride:
Frost grit will be coming on soon:headbang: so all those back roads will be stuffed untill the spring rains have washed then clear

Pete,

That is some phat local loop to be living close too. The section into Macreas is wicked - like a asphalt go-kart track through empty hills with huge rock stacks. Minto road. Minto Pub at Macreas too.

Feral

scumdog
20th May 2006, 13:58
Well not all your tast in transport is hiding in the dark somewere SD... 3.3 was a real grunt box, heres mine in the 80's sometime.

Kewl!!
Mine was San Remo Gold in colour - but cruel mates called it Karitane Yellow.
16,000 miles on it when I bought it
Traded it in on present 'lorry'

Bling to first person who can translate why the colour was so called by 'mates'

Edbear
20th May 2006, 14:00
Newborn baby poos!:laugh: