PDA

View Full Version : Shock-bushing question

erik
11th May 2006, 10:51
Does anyone know if the top bushing on a gsxr1100 shock is a solid rubber bushing fixed to the inner and outer spacers or if it has some sort of bearing in it that is supposed to let it rotate?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/IMG_8703e.jpg

R1madness
12th May 2006, 16:24
Years ago i had an early GSXR1100. The top shock bush crapped out so i pressed it out and went to a local bearing shop. They sold me a bearing that was a little narower across the width but fitted the shock (needed pressed in) and the bolt size. It was a special type of bearing and i cant remember what they are called. (They look like the bearing out of a tierod end if the bearing dude wants to know what type)
Regards

erik
13th May 2006, 00:09
Cheers. I think the top bushing is ok in this shock, I'm just curious how they work like if it's a solid rubber bush (that's how it seems) or what.

R1madness
13th May 2006, 12:06
Pull the bolt out and grease it. I am sure they have a bearing but it was a long time ago. There should be a cup thrust washer on either side of the bearing held in place by a seal. It might look like a solid bush when its all assembled.

rogson
13th May 2006, 14:56
It's probably the ball and socket type of bearing/bushing that allows for rotation about two axes. Someone told me its called a heim joint. The factory/genuine parts are bloody expensive. I tried a couple of bearing/seals supply places a few years ago for one, but didn't have any joy. I imagine they are used in other automotive/aeroplane/industrial applications, so they may be available from an industrial supplier of some sort. Anyone know?

DEATH_INC.
13th May 2006, 18:02
Just call it a sphererical bearing, most bearing places will know what ya mean...

R1madness
15th May 2006, 14:48
good on ya DEATH. thats the one.