PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing advice

ferretface
11th May 2006, 16:09
Just checked the rear wheel on my bike and found a bit of horizontal play - its only moves a tiny fraction so I'm not sure if the bearing is on its way out or not. Anyone got any ideas or pointers to double check?

NC
11th May 2006, 16:12
Get new bearings

ManDownUnder
11th May 2006, 16:18
Make sure it's the wheel and not the swingarm that's loose before you go getting any bearings.

Grab the side of the arm (with the rear wheel off the ground - on centre stand if you can) and see if there's any play there.

FROSTY
11th May 2006, 16:27
grab the WHEEL front and back and see if theres movement there. Most likely not if there is just bung new bearings in

ManDownUnder
11th May 2006, 16:39
grab the WHEEL front and back and see if theres movement there. Most likely not if there is just bung new bearings in

About time the expert chimed in - where the hell have you been mate?

ferretface
11th May 2006, 18:39
Cheers for the comments - looks like its time for new bearings....at least there pretty cheap to have fitted.

paturoa
11th May 2006, 20:40
Replace your own bearings, at least u will know that they are packed right. Get new seals at the same time if they are seperate to the bearings.

I get my bearings and seals from Saeco in AK , they probably have a branch down your way. Otherwise just check out yellow pages on line for "wheel bearings"

Iust replaced most of my KDX bearings and a couple for my GS1000, less than about half the price of genuine parts!

Take out the old ones and take them with you, they have numbers on them that are in a very tiny font.

merv
11th May 2006, 22:37
Mana Bearings in Porirua is a good place to buy - just take your old ones in and he'll match them for you.

FROSTY
12th May 2006, 00:32
little secret.before fitting the new bearing leave it in the freezer for a few hours.Itll slip in easier