PDA

View Full Version : Light-reactive visors

dawnrazor
11th May 2006, 17:09
why hasn't one of the helmet manufactures made a visor that is light sensitive (darkens in sunlight, goes clear in lowlight/night time).

I'm sick of going to work in blinding sunshine and needing the dark visor, and then coming home at night with the visor up so I can see.

Lugging about a second visor is not practical, and I find sunnies cut out far too much peripherial vision and become a distraction and a hazard.

Maybe the technolgy can't be made work on such an extreme curvature that a typical visor has? Anyone.

imdying
11th May 2006, 17:12
Photochromatic is what you want. Not that long ago (10 years I guess) all the good ones were made of glass, as the treating they used to do it to plastic ones was too slow in its changes. From what I've heard though, the stuff for plastic lenses is nearly as good now... why we haven't seen it on visors, dunno.

dhunt
11th May 2006, 17:42
You can get a fogcity insert that is light sensitive. I've never used one but a mate of mine found it didn't get super light or very dark so wasn't very effective.

Lou Girardin
11th May 2006, 17:42
Fog City do inserts, or you could get a new Nolan N84 with the flip up sun visor thingy at your friendly local AMPS store.
Special rates for newly entangled blokes.

dawnrazor
11th May 2006, 18:07
might have to have a look at that, although I haven't paid for the entanglement ring yet.

tl_tub
11th May 2006, 21:09
I just brought the new nolan, bloody fantastic! I had a 5yr old nolan and was time for replacement. The sun visor is great!!!!! The only thing ive found is that I cant get it on without opening the jaw first, im not sure if it just needs bedding in, or if it will always be like that because of the extra padding they put in to reduce noise?

WINJA
11th May 2006, 21:58
get a new job

Quartida
11th May 2006, 22:04
I'm guessing (though I could be wrong) that it would have the same problems my mother had with her light-sensitive glasses.

Fine in principle, but put them in confusing light and they end up just making things harder.

Like if you're currently in a shadow but it's really bright ahead, it will go less dark. Or vice versa. Or it won't adjust properly under quickly changing shadows (like roadside trees).

Just a thought.

Sensei
11th May 2006, 22:07
Have light reactive lens in my helmets & work well .

The Pastor
11th May 2006, 22:18
I have the light sensitive stuff on my glasses, It works but even at full dark there useless for stopping sunlight really, maybe 10% better than no glasses at all.

Toast
11th May 2006, 23:11
Had one in my Shoei. Worked well in the day, and ok at night, but not quite as good as a pure clear visor.

WickedOne
12th May 2006, 08:42
Have light reactive lens in my helmets & work well .

Hi Sensei, what lid do you have? Was it an aftermarket lens?

Lou Girardin
12th May 2006, 13:08
I just brought the new nolan, bloody fantastic! I had a 5yr old nolan and was time for replacement. The sun visor is great!!!!! The only thing ive found is that I cant get it on without opening the jaw first, im not sure if it just needs bedding in, or if it will always be like that because of the extra padding they put in to reduce noise?

I guess it's a flip-front. You do have to open them first.

sAsLEX
12th May 2006, 13:35
why not a battery powered one that darkens when you flick a switch or have it linked to a photoresistor?

Sure some of the tp cars have glass that can darken on cue

Pussy
12th May 2006, 16:48
Got a Fog City Hyperoptiks on my helmet. Whites used to bring them into NZ, but no-one does now. Got my latest one from UK, cost about the same as they retailed here for ( approx $100.00). They work really well.

oldrider
12th May 2006, 17:16
I guess it's a flip-front. You do have to open them first.
Is that a new model Nolan? I have got a 101N and it doesn't need to be open to work the sun visor, you just flip it up or down as required.
Unfortunately it vibrates or whistles too much so I took it off. John.

Buster
12th May 2006, 17:28
Fog city is cool but it blocks out alot of periferal(sp) vision on different of helmets.

Finn
12th May 2006, 17:31
at your friendly local AMPS store.

So where's this new store you're talking about Lou?

Finn
12th May 2006, 17:32
whistles too much so I took it off. John.

That was your hearing aid mate.

sedge
13th May 2006, 16:58
Before you by a fog city or progrip or whatever you need to make sure your helmet lets UV through the visor otherwise they don't work. My Shoei has UV coating and the insert doesn't darken, that's fine coz I bought it to stop it fogging in the cold rather than for bright days.

Sedge.