PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust packing

SpankMe
31st March 2003, 10:52
I have a full Two Bothers exhaust on my SV650s and I didn't repack it until I had done 48,000km. Probably a bit over due as the mechanic said there was nothing left but an empty tube :o. But now at 55,000km I took the bike down to the track and after one round the muffler sounds like it's burnt out the packing again. I know V-Twins go through their exhaust packing faster than other bikes, but it just seems a bit too bloody soon to me.

So, how often you your repack (tell us your engine type)?
What type of packing you use?
And how much you pay for it?

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 14:19
Go a Scorpion Race Slip on - wicked sound and reasonably priced!!

If you are looking for new you are better to buy from the UK (www.motrax.co.uk (http://www.motrax.co.uk)) as their prices are wicked and they deliver in no time......

I must admit tho - your SV sounded horny with the fecked packing!!!!  Esp down the home straight......

Kiwi
1st April 2003, 20:34
Scorpion Race Slip on - not bad, have a look at MIG

http://www.desmodromics.co.nz/images/mig/su_sv650.jpg

see ya

kiwi

Kwaka-Kid
23rd April 2003, 21:54
WHAT?! u mean u gotta repack mufflers? no, its better when they are hollow.

the GpZ 4cyl 750 has done over 100'ks and still going strong on a fully rusted out std pipe :)

man, i never realised these bikes cost so much

rip out the old chicken wire, design and make a baffle, weld it in, and f-ing pack that sucker full of pink bats! or fibreglass. whatever.   my brother made his own muffler can.. its loud as, but thats coz the ports are so open, but still.  im about to pack a muffler for the ZXR that the prev. owner gutted out coz he thought it would be kool, ill see how it goes... :S

bluninja
24th April 2003, 09:39
I still have the standard can on my SV650, it might be good if the packing came out. However then I can't creep up on the slower racers and ambush them if they could hear me.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
24th April 2003, 12:09
if you're gonna be repacking a muffler I';d be careful about what you use. Using a crappy fibreglass product (ie. pink batts designed for walls!) will probably cause it to disintegrate and burn out when it gets too hot! Best stuff to use (short of actual muffler packing) would be mineral wool batts aka. Rockwool. rated up to many hundreds of degrees (comes in different grades) and won't break down

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 00:00
Yeah... But they cost money right?

and why would i do that when i got a whole load of pink bats in the garage? FREE! :)   if i run out, toilet paper will do :)

call me cheap, but... well, no buts, just call me cheap :)

Coldkiwi
25th April 2003, 23:15
yup, cheap aaaaand st-.....

I won't say it.... :)

I'm sure you're making work for yourself kwaka!

Kwaka-Kid
25th April 2003, 23:56
Theres only one way to find out..    And i choose to find out :)

What?
27th April 2003, 08:58
Back when I were a lad and the hot set-up on the street was a Yammy RD350 or Suzuki T500 with ace bars and Bassani pipes, the go for WoF time was to pack the (alleged) silencers with Pink Batts, then ride very slowly to the testing station. Upon getting the WoF and departing said testing station, the new packing would last until third gear was selected...:p

Kwaka-Kid
27th April 2003, 10:00
so this tells us how far pink bats have come scince hte day in terms of muffler packing? :P

Enn
23rd February 2005, 09:24
Wow, what do ya have to drink to see these Pink bats?? black bets perhaps, hard to catch unless ya have a old butter fly net handy. :banana:

F5 Dave
23rd February 2005, 09:36
The Daytona 4 stroke stuff is quite good & has matting to hold it together. I have just started using that Rockwool on the 2 strokes (they use on KTMs think it may be called silent sport brand or something). Wraps around like candyfloss string mix & works well. Think I re did my YZF with it as well.

That’s the trade off with after market pipes. You want lighter weight? Then you have consumable packing. Pack it every year, only takes an hour from go to whoa.

ajturbo
23rd February 2005, 10:28
Wow, what do ya have to drink to see these Pink bats?? black bets perhaps, hard to catch unless ya have a old butter fly net handy. :banana:

:killingme :killingme :killingme :apint:

Midnight 82
23rd February 2005, 10:58
:spudwave: I use steel wool on my XV1000 vtwin works good. Cheap as :yeah: So is the steel wool :spudwave:

bugjuice
23rd February 2005, 11:11
I didn't even think about repacking a can.. guess it makes sense, just never thought about it..

Spank, you ever done puke last year (forget when), and on the back straight coming down to the hairpin, ripped past a red CBR trying his best, while you hank on the anchors, and have flames out the back while downshifting? Just looked pretty cool..

Eurodave
2nd March 2005, 08:59
I used to use pink batts but they blew out real quick so now use "goldielocks" kitchen scourers made from brass[?] curly shavings. These dont rust unlike steel wool & seem to stay put much longer

flyin
2nd March 2005, 13:04
HMMMMM repacking my exhaust...... soon after i got my ZZR, riding along the motorway i dropped a gear and sacked it, a whole bundle of embry/sparky fire shite came out of my carbon exhaust! got a lil stressed at the time but it still ran sweet so ignored it and carried on riding it ( could this have been the existing packing?)

-my ZZR is unusually loud for a 250 (sounds like a wanked up subaru on speed!!) and sometimes when im engine braking (coasting down the gorge ) i't backfires and shoots mean as flames (could that just mean i need a tune up?)

-should i be repacking my exhaust and can i pull apart/repack my carbon baffle myself or will i have to get it looked at by someone expensive?

That Guy
2nd March 2005, 15:18
I use FMF re-packing wool. Very stringy and tough - heat retardant and because it is so stringy it is supposed to resist breaking down....I've got 2 years or more out of motox muffles with is. About $30 a bag - would get close to doing one big bike (ie 600cc +) muffler. Pink bats last about a week in my experience....

F5 Dave
2nd March 2005, 15:22
Flyin. Yes repack it. All you need to do to an after market muffler is drill out the old rivets, pull the sleeve forward & throw in a bunch of packing & re rivet it back up again.

If the core is broken (maybe look down the end with a decent torch) then you can get it repaired. Cycleworks on eastern hutt road would do this no drama.

flyin
2nd March 2005, 15:38
Cheers Dave, i guess i should get onto it soon, it is kinda fun sounding big and mean tho and a whole lot more intimidating to cages that get in ma way while filtering......

F5 Dave
2nd March 2005, 15:42
You're more likely to scare them into pulling over into you as I can tell you from racing it is sometimes hard to tell where the noise is coming from. Plus with the amount of politicians in wgtn we are likely to be legislated till we are electric silent.

vifferman
2nd March 2005, 15:45
Damn!

I feel like I'm missing out! Should I trade the Satantune in on summat that needs repacking?:spudwhat:
Or should I just continue to enjoy its long-lasting, stainless steel goodness?
Mind you, it does have the disadvantage of needing an allen screw undone when I'm in a shitty mood that StealthMode just doesn't do anything for.
Soon to be addressed when my spare restrictor arrives, giving me a choice of three modes: Stealth, Sport (or is that 'Snort'?), and GetThePharkOutOfMyWayOrSomethingEvilWillHappenToYo u!)

cliffy
2nd March 2005, 18:41
was gonna post sumthin about a loudness shuusher for motor sumthins when i spotted Wkid one's avatar and then i was all entranced by the movement and then nuthin else in life seemed to hold much meaning unless it made me look at the avatar.
anyhhooo i know that some packing materials blow out quite easily cos we had some on a muffker we repacked (it was the stringy kind not the sheet wadding kind ) and when the bike was goin every now and then you could see some string being drawn out by the airflow but this was also a straight through kind of muffler so that probably didn't help.
and now back to the avatar! :wari:

FROSTY
2nd March 2005, 19:04
I cottoned on to the idea of using stainless steel shavings --
They seem to pack down well and once its in there ya never need to repack

DEATH_INC.
4th March 2005, 17:59
I've always just used fibreglass matt off-cuts from the local boat builder or ac fibreglass......seems to last ok.

カワサキキド
5th March 2005, 11:16
-my ZZR is unusually loud for a 250 (sounds like a wanked up subaru on speed!!) and sometimes when im engine braking (coasting down the gorge ) i't backfires and shoots mean as flames (could that just mean i need a tune up?)
Sound's like what's happened to mine, any flames through the Lyttleton Tunnel Neomancer?