PDA

View Full Version : You've got NOTHING to prove

FROSTY
11th May 2006, 23:55
One thing i've noticed about less experienced riders is how they seem to feel the need to "prove themselves".
The problem is Im seeing people pushing well beyond their knowledge and skill level.
Especially this time of year I'd suggest you folks might wanna remind yaselves you have nothing to prove to anyone

FROSTY
12th May 2006, 08:28
um Im not saying don't improve ya riding. Im saying this time of year ya need to be more careful

Paul in NZ
12th May 2006, 09:05
I disagree Frosty.

New riders have everything to prove. If I go back to my day (puts on rose tinted specs and adjusts monitor to sepia)

They have to prove they can be trusted.

Trusted to stay on their bike
Trusted to be able to look after themselves in social situations (like cafe's, pubs etc) and NOT get other people into 'situations'
Prove that they can resolve small problems with their machine or at least grasp the fundementals of where stuff IS.
Prove they are resourceful and WONT keep everyone waiting with stupid things easily sorted the day before
Prove that they can stay on a bike for the length of the ride.
Prove they can stuff their ego into their pockets and not let it interfere with others safety.

Going fast comes last. If folks can manage the above, I'll ride with them anyplace, wait for them and help them in anyway.

Cheers

kiwifruit
12th May 2006, 10:10
I agree Frosty
don't try to prove anything,
try to improve everything.

skidMark
12th May 2006, 10:47
i ride to my abilities...ie. lane splitting on a gn250 and on a pit bike.... but um yer lack of fun at the moment gpx is only running on one cylinder....and i can't fix it

so i'm very safe at the moment

in my fathers words:

me: dad why don't you ride a bike

my old man: because i don't want to be a temporary newzealander.:nya:

anyways ride safe out there guys and gals...

(sits infront of heater....i wanna ride dammit)

Motu
12th May 2006, 11:06
Trusted to be able to look after themselves in social situations (like cafe's, pubs etc) and NOT get other people into 'situations'

I always had a problem with this one - I had big friends,and they had to run damage control for me for years.

Kendog
12th May 2006, 11:49
I prove myself everytime I ride! I prove that I'm a complete and utter Nanna!!
Mrs KD

SwanTiger
12th May 2006, 12:05
IS THIS A CHALLENGE FROSTY ?!

I'm going to learn you on my A100 ... on one wheel !!

Nah, good point. Is one of the "sole causes" of KB ride accidents.

R6_kid
12th May 2006, 19:33
aviation industry wisdom...
"safety before schedules"

better to arrive late and in one piece, than to get home a few days later after and ambo ride, and having a bike that needs glueing/welding/replacing.

I find winter is a good time to ride, you know for a fact that it is wet/slippery and that naturally slows most people down, its a good time to practice proper lines through corners without going full speed - repetition - the more times you do the right line the more likely you are to do it at speed.

So go get your practice in over winter, just remember like frosty said, it is wet and therefore more dangerous so take it easy and remember "you have nothing to prove." Take a leaf from crashe's book - slow down and take in the scenery :nya:

merv
12th May 2006, 19:39
Mrs KD

To prove yourself why the hell don't you get your own logon id?

Lazy7
12th May 2006, 19:46
whole heartedly agree.

everybody i ride with i respect.

firstly - cause they are bikers - i respect the effort.
secondly - because with respect comes saftey.
thirdly - because everybody has something to offer.

anybody who rides with me already has my respect. trying to prove yourself will only lose you respect.

sunhuntin
12th May 2006, 19:52
i try and ride to my [and my bikes] abilities, but often find those around us push us beyond. like today...had constant tailgating going to and returning from palmy. flashing of brake lights didnt help.
had one guy who i never even saw pass half in my lane and nearly force me off the road due to the shock [saw his lights in my mirrors, but they were way back! dunno how fast he was going!]

the way the rain was coming down, had i have needed to brake fast, theres no way i could have safely, and having cagers up your exhaust does not help. seems the wet and nasty makes us bikes go slower and the cars go faster.

yungatart
12th May 2006, 19:54
Mrs KD
No, I'm sorry, you are wrong! I own that title, I've earned it from the school of No Stamina and unless you can prove that you are more of a nana than I, I am not handing it over. You need to find another title Mrs K!

FROSTY
12th May 2006, 20:02
wow Im getting good at this stuff. You lot figured out what my ramblings meant.
Its been playing on my mind a heck of a lot lately with so many KB crashes seeming to be mostly less experienced riders.

yungatart
12th May 2006, 20:17
Yeah FROSTY-we can understand you! Actually, I always ride my own ride - kinda have to really cos no one else rides that slow...

Ixion
12th May 2006, 20:23
No, I'm sorry, you are wrong! I own that title, I've earned it from the school of No Stamina and unless you can prove that you are more of a nana than I, I am not handing it over. You need to find another title Mrs K!

It is universally agreed that not only am I the ultimate Nana, I am Nana's Nana. 'Tis even in my avatar title.

Trudes
12th May 2006, 20:25
To prove yourself why the hell don't you get your own logon id?

No, I will not!!!!. haha, I do have my own login, as you can see, but too bloody lazy to go through and log dear hubby out to log back in to make a comment!!

crashe
12th May 2006, 20:26

Well I own the title of "Queen of Slow" rider on KB
so no one can have that title...lol

And I am keeping that title............:scooter:

yungatart
12th May 2006, 20:29
It is universally agreed that not only am I the ultimate Nana, I am Nana's Nana. 'Tis even in my avatar title.
I qualify, not only due to the nature of my riding, but also because I am actually a Nana, you know , as in Grandmotherly type thingy....I would hazard a guess Ixion, that you can't claim the same (and actually back it up, in fact), which means that I am more of a nana than you, despite what your avatar title says. Besides I never universally, or any other which way, agreed to that.

Ixion
12th May 2006, 20:34
Ah, but to ride like a Nana when you *are* one, biologically, is nothing. Mere biology. To ride like a Nana in defiance of biology, is nana'ring indeed.

Were you to ride with me even you would cede my claim.

EDIT: Except when two smokers are involved. No mortal soul can ride like a Nana when aboard a two stroke. 'Tis a law of nature, like gravity, or uncertainty.

yungatart
12th May 2006, 20:43
When you are next in the Bay, Pm me and we'll see who the biggest nana is. You would have to come here, because I couldn't ride to Aucks - far too far for an old nana like me.....
You can claim the cloud shagging thing tho" I don't want to be known as a cloud shagging nana

diggydog
12th May 2006, 21:05
One thing i've noticed about less experienced riders is how they seem to feel the need to "prove themselves".
The problem is Im seeing people pushing well beyond their knowledge and skill level.
Especially this time of year I'd suggest you folks might wanna remind yaselves you have nothing to prove to anyone
ye frosty i quiet agree, as with winter here things can change very quickly, i was formly from wellington & i think u got be a diffrerent sort of rider there, as from hamilton 4 example
you can be as good as u prove yourself

sugilite
12th May 2006, 22:21
I feel one can miss the enjoyment factor of riding by riding at or over one's limit. Constantly freaking out is not my idea of fun.

FROSTY
15th May 2006, 00:09
my gosh after tonights downpour Im thinking we all need jetski riding lessons